Showing 1 to 20 of 45
1. Posted: Wed 31st Aug 2011 19:54 BST
I've seen some general dislike (even hate) for this game, but I don't really know why. It's incredibly impressive for its time, and I'm having a blast playing it.
Here are a couple tips if you're having trouble:
1. Swing speed - The faster your swing speed, the farther the ball will go. It also greatly affects the swing meter's speed. So basically, if you're driving the ball down the fairway then you'll want your swing to be fast, but if you're chipping in then it's much smarter to use a slower, more accurate swing.
2. Distance calculations - The club you use tells you how far it's capable of hitting the ball, and the REST window tells you how far the ball is from the hole. So if your club can hit the ball 300 yards and you're 150 yards from the hole, only charge your swing halfway. Also, if you're a few shots from the green then you can still use your distance from the hole to eyeball how far you need to hit it (i.e. to avoid hazards and nail the fairway).
I'm absolutely hooked on this game. <3
Edited on Wed 31st August, 2011 @ 19:55 by pixelman
I made Kid Tripp! PocketGamer gave it a 9 out of 10! You should totally buy it now!
[16:39] BadKitty: you trying to steal stuff from me? u_u
[16:41] kribs: don't worry Emmy, even if poix tried to steal something from you, he wouldn't finish stealing it
Nintendo Network ID: pixelpowa | Twitter: thatpixelguy
2. Posted: Wed 31st Aug 2011 20:00 BST
I bought this one on the VC back in 2007 and didn't really care for it. Still a lot better than the first golf game though.
Jesus is the only way.
It's OK for someone to have an opinion. This ain't the Soviet Union you know.
Nintendo Network ID: cheetahman91
3. Posted: Wed 31st Aug 2011 20:02 BST
I agree, this Golf game is superb for it's time... Though I am having a hard time even getting Mario to hit the ball .
Will play some more later today though.
Wiiu: "the next generation of gaming is here"
All My info! 3DS friend code, PSN ID and WiiU ID on my backlog!
Wiiu ID: bonesy. Add me if you play monster hunter 3 ultimate.
4. Posted: Wed 31st Aug 2011 20:08 BST
I disliked it but I could say that about pretty much any golf game, new or old.
"The government of the United States is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion."
Treaty of Tripoly, article 11
5. Posted: Wed 31st Aug 2011 20:10 BST
@bonesy: lol, it works like Mario Golf. Press A to start the meter, press A when the meter's at the far left to hit it with 100% power, and press A one more time when the meter is close to the white accuracy line to hit it.
It definitely takes some practice to get the timing down, that's for sure. I had +14 on my first hole, lol. I was getting birdies by the end of the course though. :3
6. Posted: Wed 31st Aug 2011 20:15 BST
I bought this one on the VC back in 2007 and didn't really care for it.
Although after you posted those tips Pixel I am thinking of giving it another try.
Push Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.
Nintendo Network ID: Tasuki311
7. Posted: Wed 31st Aug 2011 20:16 BST
Peach seems too excited for Golf if you ask me.
For the best Wii U HD experience, Mad Catz Wii Component Cable in 1080p
8. Posted: Wed 31st Aug 2011 20:17 BST
The problem is the "great for its time" part. After playing through Hot Shots, Tiger Woods, and even Toadstool Tour this game is unbearable archaic garbage to me.
So to me this game is only awesome for the free Club Nintendo coins. =P
[insert 25 Cents here to play]
9. Posted: Wed 31st Aug 2011 20:52 BST
I don't get the hate. I would of the original Golf as it was lacking some basics to be able to really handle it well, but this game while early uses the more refined model that still is around with a lot of them today with the timing, power meter, right/left of center on the down swing, and the rest. It's a fun game, I just never used it much so I sold the cart which made me really happy to see it as a freebie.
My Personal Video Game / Accessory List
10. Posted: Wed 31st Aug 2011 21:04 BST
The problem is the "great for its time" part. After playing through Hot Shots, Tiger Woods, and even Toadstool Tour this game is unbearable archaic garbage to me.So to me this game is only awesome for the free Club Nintendo coins. =P
Whaaat. Toadstool Tour is exactly like this, plus fancy 3D graphics and a cheap ball arc path that removes all the fun of making skilled calculations.
Edit: Another tip - You can view the green in the pause menu. This is especially useful if you're chipping onto the green and need to know its slopes.
Edited on Wed 31st August, 2011 @ 21:07 by pixelman
11. Posted: Wed 31st Aug 2011 21:12 BST
@ PixelmanAfter seeing this topic I decided to give this game a chance.I was one of the people complaining about it but it's not so bad actually. At first I couldn't even hit the ball. The game never really explains it well. I finally got the hang of it though. They gave us this game for free so I might as well get some use out of it. It does have a certain retro charm you won't find in more recent Mario golf games.
3DS Friend code 4038-6006-7917Wii Friend code 3553-5293-8702-0039Smash Bros. Brawl 0001-3032-2653Mario vs DK: Minis March Again 3310-6435-2823Wii and 3DS ID Link
12. Posted: Wed 31st Aug 2011 21:22 BST
Random NES Golf Fun Fact - the courses that are in the original NES title "Golf" are the same ones in Wii Sports golf...just in 3D.
"Everyone gets old but not everyone gets great!" - 'Nature Boy' Ric Flair
Kapp'n doesn't give a squid
All work and no play makes Zerk a dull boy.
My Bird Mania Christmas 3D Review
My name in a video game.
Nintendo Network ID: bezerker99
13. Posted: Wed 31st Aug 2011 21:28 BST
Haha yeah, it took me about a dozen tries just to hit the ball. I guess the game expects you to read the instructions manual... lol. Nice to see some people giving it a second chance. It's an awesome game.
@zerk: Hah I didn't know that. That's pretty cool.
14. Posted: Wed 31st Aug 2011 21:36 BST
@pixelman Oh haha that's the problem I was having then. I only was clicking A once.
@bezerker99 really? that's pretty cool to know
15. Posted: Wed 31st Aug 2011 22:12 BST
Meh, black box Golf is waay better.
The BackLoggery of Zelda!
Nintendo Network ID: pntjrx | Twitter: pntjrx
16. Posted: Wed 31st Aug 2011 22:19 BST
So should I get it? Sounds pretty good.
Formally Square-enixFan, Neo-GeoFan. A lover of fine games and handheld systems and games!!!!!!!!!!
The 3DS XL is amazing. Much games... ^_^
Check my Youtube channel out!
And my Blog! HandheldBlog
Nintendo Network ID: Square_Enix_Fan
17. Posted: Wed 31st Aug 2011 22:23 BST
It's free. Get it anyways.
18. Posted: Wed 31st Aug 2011 22:27 BST
Only n00bz like Golf
For you, the day LordJumpMad graced your threads, was the most important day of your life. But for me, it was Tuesday.
University of ⓂⒶⒹness
19. Posted: Wed 31st Aug 2011 22:30 BST
I think there's some confusion on which golf game is the game people don't like.There's this game, NES Open Gold and just regular Golf.This game has age okay, where regular Golf sucks pretty bad.
20. Posted: Wed 31st Aug 2011 23:10 BST
Just a question:
When compared to the GB version of Golf coming soon to the eShop (Sept. 8 by my guess), would it be worth getting it, or should I just stick to this version that I got for free?