Forums

Topic: NES Ambassador Game Impressions

Posts 121 to 140 of 145

Birdman

@iphys - Same here, but it's not really that big of a deal, is it?

Exactly.
My Birdloggery

3DS Friend Code: 2105-8643-6062

Aqueous

@iphys - I found several glithes in metroid, sometimes when an enemy explodes they have part of the destroyed body fly through the other part of the screen and sometimes enemies show up as blue health if you froze them off screen and when dethawed will attack, also sometimes enemies stop droping health and missles all together and once an enemy I destroyed kept having bits of them fly into the screen from both edges. Balloon Fight if you go under ballon trip it will sometimes start you off on rank 47 or 48 for example instead of 50 at the start and will correct it's self later and the game will play the wrong music if you do things too quickly. I found the characters on zelda II a bit flashy (not all there) on occasion. Other then that things seem fine, including mario but I will probley see more later when I start playing the other games more, although zelda seems fine for now. ERROR

Edited on by Aqueous

Guest on NFR 57: http://nintendofreeradio.podbean.com/category/episode-57/

3DS Friend Code: 2793-0600-1156 | Nintendo Network ID: AqueousDoubt | Twitter:

Taya

Those glitches were in the originals if I recall. I can remember Mario appearing on the other side of the screen sometimes.

I recommend blowing on your 3DS.

Taya

kkslider5552000

I got a weird glitch where a koopa troopa kinda looked like it was 2 transparent looking sprites facing the opposite direction on top of each other. It was...interesting.

As it's a glitch from Super Mario Bros, 500,000 people have found that already but ok.

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

Kid_A

Well I'm officially not going to play any more of Zelda II until we get the update that adds restore points because the expectations for that game are just unreasonable. I simply cannot get through Death Mountain without getting a Game Over, and even if I made it to the other side I'd have to beat a dungeon once I got there! Madness!

Blog: http://www.sequencebreaking.blogspot.com
3DS Friend Code: 2277-7231-5687
Now Playing: Animal Crossing: New Leaf

Link79

In Zelda 2 I find that it's easier to land hits on enemies if you leap towards them as you strike.
If you stay on the ground while alternating high and low attacks you're more likely to take hits.
At least that's my experience.
Also remember the fairy form spell can get you through locked doors in dungeons.
That way you don't risk getting killed searching for keys. Just make sure you have plenty of magic.

3DS Friend code 4038-6006-7917
Wii Friend code 3553-5293-8702-0039
Smash Bros. Brawl 0001-3032-2653
Mario vs DK: Minis March Again 3310-6435-2823
Wii and 3DS ID Link

Birdman

Kid_A wrote:

Well I'm officially not going to play any more of Zelda II until we get the update that adds restore points because the expectations for that game are just unreasonable.

This, and for some of the other games I don't have the "retro skills" to be good at.

Exactly.
My Birdloggery

3DS Friend Code: 2105-8643-6062

Kid_A

Link79 wrote:

In Zelda 2 I find that it's easier to land hits on enemies if you leap towards them as you strike.
If you stay on the ground while alternating high and low attacks you're more likely to take hits.
At least that's my experience.
Also remember the fairy form spell can get you through locked doors in dungeons.
That way you don't risk getting killed searching for keys. Just make sure you have plenty of magic.

How do you get that spell, oh oracle of helpfulness?

Eel

I got it once on the Wii version, i think you need to high jump to the 2nd story of a church in one of the towns. I think this was the "Heal" spell then.

Read below for the correct answer

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

Link79

@ Kid_A
The fairy spell is found in Mido town as well as the downthrust attack.
to get the fairy spell you'll need the water of life found in a cave in the swamp. it's blocked by a boulder so you'll need the hammer also. The Hammer is in a cave at the very bottom of death mountain on the left right by a boulder.

For the downthrust use the jump spell to jump on the roof of a certain house in Mido town with a chimney.
Go down there and on to a knight who teaches you downthrust.

Btw any new players notice something about the town names? Saria, Ruto, Darunia, Mido etc.
Fans of Ocarina know what I'm talking about.

Wii and 3DS ID Link

littlebigplanet

the NES games werent to great, but i hope their GBA picks are better thought out

Chrono_Cross

Super Mario Bros. One of the most recognized and classic platformers to this day. It hasn't aged a bit over the years. 10/10

Legend of Zelda Truly legendary. Compelling graphics mixed with great dungeon design. A game worth playing as it will set you back anywhere between 5-10 hours. Like Mario this has aged well. 10/10

Legend of Zelda II: The Adventure of Link- Unlike the original, Zelda 2 has aged quite a bit. Unnecessary difficulty, mediocre dungeon design, side scrolling felt a little out of place, and the overall exploring was missing. Though this doesn't mean it wasn't a fun experience. I liked my time with this game on the Collector's Edition, even though I found myself in utter disappointment when I died too many times. 8.25/10

Wrecking Crew- A fine little game for what it is. I didn't really get into this one but the sheer challenge of figuring out the right route to successfully wrecking every room is fun to a certain extent. Not as great as Nintendo's other games. 7/10

Ice Climbers- Falling through a platform you clearly made can get right under your skin, right? I don't see why people diss this game when really there's nothing wrong with it. Other than the obvious "this game has aged drastically" detail, the challenge can get a little frustrating, as can the platforming in general. All in all this game is closer to NES gold than 70% of it's library. 8/10

Balloon Fight- I used to play this all the time on the NES classics portion of Animal Crossing. I find the multiplayer very substantial, maybe even funner than the Co-op multiplayer found in Super Mario Bros. 8/10

Yoshi- I never found puzzlers like this fun. Wario Woods was probably the funnest puzzler I've ever played. Otherwise give me Tetris... 6/10

Metroid- If you looked up "Aged" in a dictionary of some sort, you'd see my grandpa and the original Metroid right beside it. Lack of map, poor balance in health/missile supplying, aged graphics, lack of angling your blaster, and so on and so forth. Definitely the weakest entry in the franchise especially when compared to Zero Mission. 6.5/10

I have yet to play DK Jr. and NES Golf so I'll post my comments on those games tomorrow more than likely.

Edited on by Chrono_Cross

Just for you.
"I'm just a musical prostitute, my dear." - Freddie Mercury

Kid_A

Link79 wrote:

@ Kid_A
The fairy spell is found in Mido town as well as the downthrust attack.
to get the fairy spell you'll need the water of life found in a cave in the swamp. it's blocked by a boulder so you'll need the hammer also. The Hammer is in a cave at the very bottom of death mountain on the left right by a boulder.

For the downthrust use the jump spell to jump on the roof of a certain house in Mido town with a chimney.
Go down there and on to a knight who teaches you downthrust.

Btw any new players notice something about the town names? Saria, Ruto, Darunia, Mido etc.
Fans of Ocarina know what I'm talking about.

Yeah I'm really appreciating all the Ocarina of Time references so far (or I suppose I should say the Zelda II references in Ocarina of Time). And thanks for the detailed tips, there! You've definitely got me motivated to get past Death Mountain now

Link79

@ Kid_A
Yeah Zelda 2 is a hard game that's for sure. Just keep at it and you'll get better.
It's good to hear about new players getting into the game. I thought the younger crowd would immediately hate it.
Us old guys who grew up in the time when games kicked your butt are used to this sorta thing.
Don't feel discouraged if you have a hard time. I myself still struggle with the later parts of the game.

Wii and 3DS ID Link

NotEnoughGolds

abgar wrote:

You can press Y to cast a spell too (it works as Select).

I just wish they had mapped Start to X too.

Is it weird that I never even considered pressing X or Y?
Anyway I think I'll stick with my original decision to stay away from this version. I'd rather not break my 3DS out of frustration over some stupid game that I've already beaten several times anyway.
I've moved on to The Legend of Zelda instead.

NotEnoughGolds

The_Ink_Pit_Ox

Super Mario Bros. - same as it always was
Metroid- even more confusing than Super Metroid
Ice Climber- the problem with jumping comes from the fact that you need to have a running start in order to jump well
Donkey Kong Jr.- no problems here
NES Open Tournament Golf- set the meter to slow and your problem is solved
The Legend of Zelda- the same old game
Zelda II- also the same game
Yoshi- a surprisingly fun game

Friend code: 5370-0444-3461
Animal Crossing City Folk Code: 3053-5977-0373

Link79

Wow Zelda 2 wasn't nearly as hard as I remembered. I beat it pretty easily actually.
I never knew you could block most of the thunderbirds attacks by using the reflect spell.
I thought it was just for killing the wizzrobes. Plus shadow Link is a joke if you just stand on the far left and repeatedly stab with your sword.

Wii and 3DS ID Link

grumblegrumble

Link79 wrote:

Wow Zelda 2 wasn't nearly as hard as I remembered. I beat it pretty easily actually.
I never knew you could block most of the thunderbirds attacks by using the reflect spell.
I thought it was just for killing the wizzrobes. Plus shadow Link is a joke if you just stand on the far left and repeatedly stab with your sword.

That may be, but as a kid I had no clue so it took me a good week to beat Shadow (Dark) Link at the end lol Believe me, since he mirrors your actions its very tough if you don't cheat I figured out the reflect thing back in the day, I called the Nintendo Game Counselor Line lol Remember that?

3DS Friend Code: 4511-0578-9918 (User name: Grumble) If u add me let me know so I can add you back ;) Current Favorites: NSMB 2, CrossWords Plus, Art Academy: Lessons For Everyone, Donkey Kong, Mario Golf, Balloon Pop Remix, Precipice, Digidrive, Art of Balance: Touch, Speed X3D, R...

Hejiru

The only thing I don't like about Metroid is that when you die, you start at 30 energy and empty energy tanks. You can't do anything with so little health. So you have to find one of those pipes and keep shooting enemies until your energy slowly builds back up.

Hejiru

Kid_A

Hejiru wrote:

The only thing I don't like about Metroid is that when you die, you start at 30 energy and empty energy tanks. You can't do anything with so little health. So you have to find one of those pipes and keep shooting enemies until your energy slowly builds back up.

Yeah that's definitely the biggest flaw in the game. Baffling design choice.

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.