3DS Virtual Console Forum

Topic: Metroid II: Return of Samus Impressions thread.

Showing 121 to 136 of 136

AuthorMessage

BlackSpy

121. Posted:

This game is still a bit hard if no restore points are involved.

BlackSpy

AuthorMessage

WaveBoy

122. Posted:

Morphtorok wrote:

You could, you know, skip the extra E-Tanks if you think the game is too easy for you.

And that's exactly what i would of, you know, DONE if i had a Crystal Ball that revealed the rest of the game would of remained this easy. :p

Zeta Metroids enemie wise only pose a challenge since it seems impossible to NOT take hits from them.The more health you have be it Zelda, Metroid or even MetroidVania the more careless you get, to the point where you're constantly running through enemies, not carefully taking them down or manouvering around them and instead taking tons of hits...Because "hey! I'm now practically invincable!"

Too many E-Tanks, Heart containers and Health Potions can destroy that 'on your toes' gameplay, mastering enemie/boss patterns, intensity and that feeling of reward in franchises such as Zelda, Metroid, Mega Man & MetroidVania. For the most part, i can't stand easy videogames, i want my games to be NES challenging. Now, Metroid II so far has been pretty solid and the real challenge lies on memorizing the confusing Mapless Black & White layout and of course as always finding out where to go. I'm digging it, but I'm already missing some of the brutal difficulty found in the first and NO i didn't skip out on any E-tanks in that one. Getting them was a MUST, even though I didn't find all of them. Otherwise, prepare to get KRAID-inated and Mother Brained! :P

Edited on by WaveBoy

Currently Playing: Mega Man V!
We shall swim to Bubble Island, or you will suffer the wrath of my Trident Laser!
80s FANATIC & King of NES Tekkidome!

AuthorMessage

Morphbug

123. Posted:

The game is not very long. You can restart your game or start another file without guilt if you feel that the gameplay has become too easy.

Nintendo's portable policy has always been making easier, more accessible experiences to fit the portability of the console. That's why this game has save points and "easy" objetives, it doesn't need to be brutal because it's not intended to be played during long periods of time.

Much of the dificulty would come because most players would eventually forget the layout of the map between play sessions.

Edited on by Morphbug

Oh look! A Morphloggery.
Oh! eShop Gurus.

3DS Friend Code: 0173-1330-0080 | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

AuthorMessage

WaveBoy

124. Posted:

Well I guess Capcom's portable policy is the complete & utter opposite then considering Mega Man & Bass and Mega Man Zero for example were pure torture in terms of difficulty. :p Aside from battery life, Nintendo probably realised that back on the original contrasty' nasty motion blur riddled green monochrome Brick Gameboy that playing the actual games on that screen was another big challenge all together haha. Even back then, i found it hard to stomach due to the terrible blur, fiddly contrast, and the constant need of a Lamp hovering over your head. My gaming sessions on the GB were short to say the least for different reasons rather than Nintendo's Portable policy.

Still, the monochrome green look gives me that fuzzy nostalgia, but Nintendo got the look wrong on these 3DS emulations. The green crushes quite a bit of detail...The inclusion of a few options including a virtual contrast slider and the ability to turn off the Blur would of been ace. I mean...The Game gear VC games got all of those extra nifty bells and whistles, why can't Game Boy games?

And nah, there's no way I'm going to restart my game now. I already put over 7 hours into it, and tonight I'll finally have it finished. ;)

Edited on by WaveBoy

We shall swim to Bubble Island, or you will suffer the wrath of my Trident Laser!

AuthorMessage

Morphbug

125. Posted:

Yeah, nintendo really made some bare bones emulators for the GB games... If only every VC game had all the awesome options that Sega included with the Game Gear games... Oh well.

I hope they add more VC games soon anyway D:

7 hours, wow! I thought I had taken a lot of time to beat the game :O (took me 4:44 hours to beat it)
I guess you're really exploring every nook and cranny of the planet then!

Edited on by Morphbug

Oh look! A Morphloggery.
Oh! eShop Gurus.

AuthorMessage

WaveBoy

126. Posted:

Finally finished the game without the aid of a map, which overall took me a little over 8 hours. :p When the credits began rolling, i couldn't help but feel mixed and somehwhat dissapointed on the entire experience. On the flip side, some of Samus's new upgades such as the Spider ball and Morph Ball-Air hopping were awesome additions that opened up the doors to more exploration over the original and being able to duck & shoot(while even in the air) added more to the limmited controls of the first.

However, i'll admit i was pretty thrown off by Samus's Large sprite and zoomed in style gameplay rather than the smaller sprites and larger scaled rooms of the NES original. Sure the former packs more detail in Samus and the metroids sprites but it makes for some nasty blind jumping and not getting a full scope feel of the environments. Meanwhile the soundtrack is a grating bleepy forgettable mess aside from a couple of decent tracks...Metroids completely schools it no question! The black & white graphics make the repetitive bland cut and paste environments even more confusing to the point where you'll wish you had a map even though the game is fairly linear compared to the first. The metroid hunting while fun & additting at first begins to grow tiresome. You'll be wishing you were going toe to toe with something else entirely to shake things up a bit.

Now, I can forgive that semi sloppy fight against the almighty Kraid in the original where you could also easily end up getting trapped in those little Corner lava pits with absolutely no way of escaping.I mean it was a first wave NES title that was released in 86' so I'lll cut it some slack. I mean, Metroid was the first of it's kind, however flash forward to 1991 with Metroid II and there's just no excuse. The Metroid Battles in regards to the Zeta(3rd) and Omega's (4th form)especially are just flat out sloppy....They're constantly flying into you without flow or pattern, and it seems impossible to not take damage. And the final boss? Pretty cool. But even so, it just can't match the classic OMFG Mother brain and set piece accompinied by that heart pulsing score from the first combined with the escape sequence. That battle seemed far more intense and well designed as well.

BTW, was there a way around not taking damage while you were in Morph Ball-form inside the final boss? I just barely scraped by with less than 75% of life left after that spazzy & frantic Mega montrosity. :p But yeah, i was switching between Metroid and Metroid II 20 or so minutes ago and definitly prefer the zoomed out look of the first. The color and eerie-awesome chip tunes make a world of a difference. Metroid leaves a lasting impression....Metroid II however, left me feeling empty and blue. :p I'm sure Kershloop will get that bogus & bitter taste out of my mouth. Wells and donuts, can't wait.

Edited on by WaveBoy

AuthorMessage

bezerker99

127. Posted:

All you need to know about Metroid II is it's not as good as Metroid or Super Metroid....but vastly better than Other M.

"And [Sting!!!], I'm not coming to show YOU or anyone else who the better wrestler is. I'm coming...to hurt you...for real...for a long, looong time. WOOOOO!!!" - 'Nature Boy' Ric Flair
AC:NL Dream Address: 4400-2611-9546
My name in a game!!!
My Bird Mania Christmas 3D review

3DS Friend Code: 5198-2506-5820 | Nintendo Network ID: bezerker99 | Twitter: bezerker99

AuthorMessage

Knux

128. Posted:

bezerker99 wrote:

All you need to know about Metroid II is it's not as good as Super Metroid....but vastly better than the original Metroid and Other M.

Fixed, because the original Metroid has not aged well at all. I got way more enjoyment out of Metroid II compared to the original Metroid. If anyone wants to experience the first Metroid, then buy Zero Mission.

supersonic1990z@hushmail.com Twitter Wii FC: 4579-0293-6760-7162 [10:25] DarkwingLz: D**mit Knux, tell Sony to release Vita TV here >:[

3DS Friend Code: 4167-4499-6603 | Nintendo Network ID: Knux1990 | Twitter: Knux1990

AuthorMessage

Morphbug

129. Posted:

Knux wrote:

bezerker99 wrote:

All you need to know about Metroid II is it's not as good as Super Metroid....but vastly better than the original Metroid and Other M.

Fixed, because the original Metroid has not aged well at all. I got way more enjoyment out of Metroid II compared to the original Metroid. If anyone wants to experience the first Metroid, then buy Zero Mission.

True.

Oh look! A Morphloggery.
Oh! eShop Gurus.

AuthorMessage

bezerker99

130. Posted:

Morphtorok wrote:

Knux wrote:

bezerker99 wrote:

True.

As a gamer in the 80's who remembers buying and playing both Metroid and Metroid II: Return of Samus when each was released, I respectfully disagree with Metroid II being better and more enjoyable than the original. Everyone has opinions but it's good to know we all agree on just how much an abomination Other M truly is, right? :*

Edited on by bezerker99

"And [Sting!!!], I'm not coming to show YOU or anyone else who the better wrestler is. I'm coming...to hurt you...for real...for a long, looong time. WOOOOO!!!" - 'Nature Boy' Ric Flair
My name in a game!!!

3DS Friend Code: 5198-2506-5820 | Nintendo Network ID: bezerker99 | Twitter: bezerker99

AuthorMessage

WaveBoy

131. Posted:

If anything, it seems like Other:M has adopted the kinetic and styalized less realistic animations and character design from Super Metroid & Fusion, rather than Prime's westernized-ish slower paced realistic visuals. Yet I hear the environments are extremely bland, the soundtrack is lacking in variety and most importantly they completely destroyed Samus's characer. ;) Still, i'm liking what i'm seeing much more so than Prime in regards to the character/enemie design, animation and combat. Seems like the perfect Metroid 2D to 3D transition. B-)

Edited on by WaveBoy

AuthorMessage

CapnPancakes

132. Posted:

@zerkie
I'm afraid not actually. I won't go into that, but I will say that there are a lot of NES games that have not aged well yet are still highly praised. The original Metroid and Legend of Zelda come to mind, though I think Metroid has aged better of the two. I won't say it's better than Metroid II, because they each have their strengths and weaknesses.

Runs the NintendoLife Best VGM Tourney Come Vote!
The Pancakeloggery
Keep it frosty people.
My Super Mario Galaxy Bio courtesy of Dark-Luigi.

3DS Friend Code: 3523-2096-8169 | Nintendo Network ID: Capn_Pancakes

AuthorMessage

WaveBoy

133. Posted:

I don't know, i'd say LOZ has aged fairly well, more so than Metroid. Outside of maybe a couple of quirks like the random bomb laying(No hints or Rock indentations to show where you're supposed to lay a bomb) and a few of the bosses being repeated which feels a bit lazy.

Otherwise it holds up pretty well! :*

AuthorMessage

bezerker99

134. Posted:

I have played through Metroid at least two dozen times in my life time. I've had Metroid 2 ever since it was released and have only played through it once because its boring. I never said Metroid had not aged well. I'm just saying if I had to choose between the two games to play the first would be it by a long shot

My name in a game!!!

AuthorMessage

Morphbug

135. Posted:

WaveBoy wrote:

If anything, it seems like Other:M has adopted the kinetic and styalized less realistic animations and character design from Super Metroid & Fusion, rather than Prime's westernized-ish slower paced realistic visuals. Yet I hear the environments are extremely bland, the soundtrack is lacking in variety and most importantly they completely destroyed Samus's characer. ;) Still, i'm liking what i'm seeing much more so than Prime in regards to the character/enemie design, animation and combat. Seems like the perfect Metroid 2D to 3D transition. B-)

And... I'm with you there.

And yeah, TLoZ has aged better than Metroid In the sense that a newcomer will easily advance through it with some time, but metroid will probably frustrate any new people trying to play it.

Edited on by Morphbug

Oh look! A Morphloggery.
Oh! eShop Gurus.

AuthorMessage

Bass_X0

136. Posted:

Completely lost. I just found the Ice Beam though.

Edgey, Gumshoe, Godot, Sissel, Larry, then Mia, Franziska, Maggie, Kay and Lynne.

I'm throwing my money at the screen but nothing happens!