Forums

Topic: Metroid Fusion

Posts 161 to 180 of 251

pikku

pixelman wrote:

BulbasaurusRex wrote:

You shouldn't be "mashing the D-Pad." You should be using strategic timing with the Quick Dodge.

Maybe I "should" be, but d-pad mashing coupled with charge shot spam worked like a charm. That's a serious design flaw.

Super Metroid rehashed all of Metroid's bosses. Do you fault SM for that? There are still plenty of new bosses, and Other M's more unique gameplay provides different experiences for taking down the returning bosses.

How is rehashing bosses the same as dull, linear gameplay, half-a$$ed, ridiculously stupid design choices, and an (arguably) poorly presented story? Bosses have been rehashed pretty much since the dawn of gaming, but the great games always backed it up with awesome gameplay.

Super Metroid's combat isn't very good, but the atmosphere is absolutely incredible. Exploring Zebes and discovering new abilities was one of the most enjoyable and rewarding video game experiences I've ever had.

Other M is a mediocre sequel to an utterly amazing game, and it left me with a very bad taste in my mouth.

Well it's your own fault for trying to eat it. >.>

pikku

3DS Friend Code: 1891-1165-2008 | Nintendo Network ID: pikmaniac

Terave

@iPancakez I am stuck in the same bit myself too right now.

Changed name: Old name was JDT!
Ponies will take over the world. Just deal with it.
3DS FC: 1375-7189-4496

BulbasaurusRex

pixelman wrote:

BulbasaurusRex wrote:

Super Metroid rehashed all of Metroid's bosses. Do you fault SM for that? There are still plenty of new bosses, and Other M's more unique gameplay provides different experiences for taking down the returning bosses.

How is rehashing bosses the same as dull, linear gameplay, half-a$$ed, ridiculously stupid design choices, and an (arguably) poorly presented story? Bosses have been rehashed pretty much since the dawn of gaming, but the great games always backed it up with awesome gameplay.

Super Metroid's combat isn't very good, but the atmosphere is absolutely incredible. Exploring Zebes and discovering new abilities was one of the most enjoyable and rewarding video game experiences I've ever had.

Other M is a mediocre sequel to an utterly amazing game, and it left me with a very bad taste in my mouth.

You were the one complaining about the rehashed bosses in Other M.

Anyway, most of us find the gameplay in Other M to be very exciting with combat that is very good, and while it is more linear, there's still plenty of exploration to find the correct paths and to find the missile and energy packs. More linearity in some Metroid games is just a different but equally valid way to design Metroid games, anyway. After all, Fusion is just as linear as Other M. I suppose we'll just have to agree to disagree on these points, though.

Edited on by BulbasaurusRex

Ash: Professor Oak, how's your Bulbasaur?
Prof. Oak: Oh, it only hurts when I sit.
Prof. Oak: It's only Chansey if Krabby won't let go. Bye, now.
Ash: I don't think I'm going to call him anymore.

3DS Friend Code: 1547-5207-7912 | My Nintendo: Katara | Nintendo Network ID: TaurusBulbasaur

grumblegrumble

Me, too, but only because I never played it before now and love it. The other games I mostly all grew up with, except for 2 I don't really care for. But this game was like a whole new Metroid game to me, I never played it before, and it's one of my top GBA games now

3DS Friend Code: 4511-0578-9918 (User name: Grumble) If u add me let me know so I can add you back ;) Current Favorites: NSMB 2, CrossWords Plus, Art Academy: Lessons For Everyone, Donkey Kong, Mario Golf, Balloon Pop Remix, Precipice, Digidrive, Art of Balance: Touch, Speed X3D, R...

kkslider5552000

I finally beat it 100% after my 9th or so playthrough.

I'm pretty sure I have now powerbombed every single part of the entire game at some point or another.

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

grumblegrumble

kkslider5552000 wrote:

I finally beat it 100% after my 9th or so playthrough.

I'm pretty sure I have now powerbombed every single part of the entire game at some point or another.

haha!! congrats! what is your impression of the game now you have finished it? I need to pick it back up, I got trapped (trying not to use online walkthroughs or forum help) and as 'planned out' as the game seems to some, you can still get stuck! lol

3DS Friend Code: 4511-0578-9918 (User name: Grumble) If u add me let me know so I can add you back ;) Current Favorites: NSMB 2, CrossWords Plus, Art Academy: Lessons For Everyone, Donkey Kong, Mario Golf, Balloon Pop Remix, Precipice, Digidrive, Art of Balance: Touch, Speed X3D, R...

kkslider5552000

My opinion is that many things in gaming that are frustrating don't matter if the game is good enough (see: Skyrim and finding secret areas in 2d Metroid games). Also it really is Other M done right. And that I miss the less obviously linear (or less linear period) gameplay in Super Metroid and Prime 1. That's probably why those are the best games. Or at least a reason.

Beyond that my 9th time playing through the game is not really any different from my 3rd-8th. It's a very high quality Metroid game with one of the better Nintendo stories and despite not being the best in the series (and too linear) and the curse of mediocre GBA music quality, is still easily better than most other games.

Edited on by kkslider5552000

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

Whopper744

ThomasBW84 wrote:

I've just played Fusion for an hour, my first encounter with it, and I'm utterly engrossed. On the presentation side of things there's some gorgeous sprites to gawk at, and the sound just has to be enjoyed with headphones.

I've not found it too hard so far, though I'm obviously only just getting started. I actually died on the first boss, and realised that I needed to wake up and concentrate. I actually like the fact that, so far, I haven't become utterly, utterly lost. I found Super Metroid slightly frustrating because of that, so I don't mind the more linear structure. I never got lost, incidentally, in any of the Metroid Primes.

[Awaits angry Super Metroid fans reaction]

I can agree with this. The only metroid games I have beat are all three Prime games (Not including Hunters) and Other M. I just started really playing through Fusion, and I seem to really like it. I like Super Metroid and the other 2D ones alright as well, but I have never been able to beat them, due to getting lost. I like exploration (Zelda is my favorite franchise I think), but I plain out get lost in the old Metroid games.

I think I just made it to sector 3 in Fusion, and have only got turned around about once or twice so far.

Nintendo ID : Whopper744

Twitter: @Whopper744games

online games include: Mario Kart 8, Mario Kart 7, Smash Bros Wii U and 3DS, Super Mario Maker and Splatoon.
Try out my Super Mario Maker stages at well! Here's one to start : F98B-0000-0022-0753
(used to be Joshers744...

3DS Friend Code: 4639-9014-2585 | Nintendo Network ID: Whopper744

Chrono_Cross

Sakamoto: "Hey guys, lets make a really **y boss that flies around like an idiot in a small room with Samus constantly damaging her and with really high gravity only affecting her giving the player the utmost disadvantage towards this seemingly indestructible, endless boss fight. And lets make it look super duper ******ed looking and call it NIGHTMARE!!!"

Troll game developer that isn't Sakamoto: "Because it's initially a nightmare to beat, right? Duhahahaha I get it!"

Me: "FUUUUUUUUUUU-"

Edited on by Chrono_Cross

Just for you.
"I'm just a musical prostitute, my dear." - Freddie Mercury

Chrono_Cross

Retro, you should really play Super first. Fusion is great but... you just have to play Super first.

Plus Super Metroid comes before Fusion.

Edit: I beat Nightmare. My night is met and now I'm going to yell outside really loudly.

Edited on by Chrono_Cross

Just for you.

Retro_on_theGo

Chrono_Cross wrote:

Retro, you should really play Super first. Fusion is great but... you just have to play Super first.

Plus Super Metroid comes before Fusion.

I could tell by some lines (and Metroid 4 right at the beginning ) that super comes first. I kind of expected you to say something like this. XD I'd love to play it, but unless I'm no going to get something important that happens later I'll just play this.

RR529

I had Fusion back on the GBA and really enjoyed it, but I could never beat it. SPOILERS - I could never get past the final "run from SA-X" segmet, when that plant had shut the power off (the encounter happens soon after getting the Space Jump) - SPOILERS END.

Thanks to the ambassador program, I was finally able to beat it, and I absolutely loved the experience (I even got past that troubling part on my first try, lol). Now I'm playing Metroid II, and am enjoying it (not nearly as much though). I am stuck (not lost) though, as there is a wall I need to get past, but none of my weapons can break it, and there is no way to sneak around it. I'm close to finishing it (I've got the lava level completely down), but can't get past this wall. I'm only one missle tank away from being able to carry 200, do I need a certain number to proceed?

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

Chrono_Cross

So after I defeated Nightmare I ran into Sector 4 and I can't get out. There are red hatches everywhere and I never unlocked those. (I'm not that far.) No matter where I go I can't get back out and I need to get a running start to break through a wall.

Anyone help whatsoever would be great...

Just for you.

Late

Chrono_Cross wrote:

So after I defeated Nightmare I ran into Sector 4 and I can't get out. There are red hatches everywhere and I never unlocked those. (I'm not that far.) No matter where I go I can't get back out and I need to get a running start to break through a wall.

Anyone help whatsoever would be great...

Haven't played Fusion for a while but I could find the answer with a little help of Google: The Level 4 Security Room is in the southwest corner of Sector 4. When you go to a room with red hatch on the left side you can find another way on the top so go up and continue your way to the Security Room.

It's its, not it's.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8287-7444-2602 | Nintendo Network ID: LateXD

Chrono_Cross

Southwest corner? There are red hatches everywhere down here and when I go to the right I get blocked off. When I go all the way up to get out of this area I can't due to the wall I need to speed boost through.

I think I sequence broke myself. I might have to start over...

Just for you.

Late

I'm glad I could help you.

It's its, not it's.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8287-7444-2602 | Nintendo Network ID: LateXD

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.