Forums

Topic: How the GameBoy games are goin' to look

Posts 1 to 18 of 18

retired_account

I was talking about this in chat earlier today, so I figured since I went through the trouble of making them that I'd go ahead and post these pics. They show every possible way a GameBoy game can be displayed on a 3DS.
note: The images are the same resolution as the 3DS screen: 400x240 pixels.

No scaling.
Untitled

Scaled 200%
Untitled

Scaled to fit with blur filter
Untitled

Scaled to fit without blur filter
Untitled

Stretched to fill the top screen
Untitled

Cheers. :3

Edit: Oh, and the 3DS's bottom screen is the same height as its top screen (320x240), so they'd look the same on that, just with less of a border on the sides.

Edited on by retired_account

retired_account

6ch6ris6

3rd picturs looks best.

super mario land will be remade with 3D right?

Ryzen 5 2600
2x8GB DDR4 RAM 3000mhz
GTX 1060 6GB

retired_account

Nope, as far as I know only NES games are getting the 3D treatment so far. Makes sense too – they're the same height as the 3DS screen, so they can be displayed clearly at their original resolution and without any filters.

Untitled

retired_account

Oregano

Is it not possible that the 3DS can natively render them in 400x240? I know Dolphin can natively render Wii and GCN in HD for example(that may only be possible because the assets are HD though).

EDIT: 3D Classis are actual ports anyway and display in widescreen.

Edited on by Oregano

Please sign the petition to get Nintendo to integrate Social Features directly in the Switch OS/Hardware:
https://www.change.org/p/nintendo-integrated-network-features-on-nintendo-switch-voice-chat-lobby

Eel

now make one full screen to double (or onedotfiveble?) the fun.
edit after image was added: for some reason it looks better than i thought it would xD

It doesn't look so bad actually, but i hope nintendo will let us change the resolution like the PS classics on the PSP

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

retired_account

@Oregano: I strongly doubt that. When you're rendering 3D polygons it's easy to make it look HD since the polygons are being drawn by the computer. In a 2D GB game, everything's pre-drawn pixel art, so you can only scale it. (see above)

Oh, and cool, I didn't know the 3D classics were ports. Those should be cool — I'm looking forward to my free copy of Excitebike.

@abgar: Done. :3

retired_account

JayArr

This image looks completely acceptable to me. If it's as easy as slapping a blur filter on there I think the quality Nintendo is going to release will be just fine.
Untitled

Edited on by JayArr

[insert 25 Cents here to play]

GeminiSaint

The size of the pixels is uneven and it creates a distortion that is much more apparent in motion.

GeminiSaint

Eel

and it would be very apparent in some sprites and backgrounds with fine details.

mario land 1 is not the game with the most detailed graphics...

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

retired_account

GeminiSaint wrote:

The size of the pixels is uneven and it creates a distortion that is much more apparent in motion.

Exactly. His ears and eyes and mustache and stomach and shoes would be shrinking and growing spasmodically. He'd look like a jellyfish! Same would go for the trees and everything else.

retired_account

SpentAllMyTokens

I'd be ok with a scaled game with or without the blur filter. It's still better than playing on a backlightless regular GB! Hopefully they'll let people choose the resolution they want, like with DS games or GB games on a GBA.

I am way too lazy to think of something clever.
My Backloggery

theblackdragon

Token_Girl wrote:

I'd be ok with a scaled game with or without the blur filter. It's still better than playing on a backlightless regular GB! Hopefully they'll let people choose the resolution they want, like with DS games or GB games on a GBA.

this. hooray for no more eye strain and/or fiddling with my old Cobra attachment for light, lol :3

Edited on by theblackdragon

BEST THREAD EVER
future of NL >:3
[16:43] James: I should learn these site rules more clearly
[16:44] LztheBlehBird: James doesn't know the rules? For shame!!!

3DS Friend Code: 3136-6802-7042 | Nintendo Network ID: gentlemen_cat | Twitter:

ImDiggerDan

No scaling is the option for me. I generally don't like the look of resized 2d graphics, filtered or not.

Edit: What'd be even better, though, would be the option to choose and set a default preference! And for the DS games. Stupid that you have to hold down those buttons every time.

Edited on by ImDiggerDan

Director of Four Horses. Developer of Digger Dan games.
On sale on the Nintendo 3DS eShop from 19th May 2016.
www.fourhorses.co.uk

Twitter:

Neonpowerstar

I thought that the 3DS screen was actually high enough resolution so that it could fit GB games scaled 200%! Oh well (I knew nintendo should have made the 3DS have 1.5x the DS' resolution...)
But in this case I would be great with the original resolution or scaled to fit vertically w/ blur filter, they both look fine to me, and the blur filter makes the graphics look a lot less blocky and pixelated.
P.S. What was the original GB's resolution anyway?

If the 3DS has not been discontinued SM3DL and MK7 are awesome games, but if the 3DS has been discontinued Sony has taken over the world.It is not true that both Sony has taken over the world and SM3DL and MK7 are not awesome games.Therefore:Super Mario 3D Land and Mario Kart 7 are...

Platypus

Why can't super mario land be played in color? Like with a game boy color?

Wii code: 3761-1403-5495-2750PSN ID: Nintendodude686
Steam Community ID; Platypus

theblackdragon

@soccer686: i don't really think they've said yet whether we'll be able to choose a color palette (like with a Super Game Boy or GBC) or not, have they? i'd think they'd put that functionality in there (but then it wouldn't be the first time i'd ever thought wrong, haha)...

BEST THREAD EVER
future of NL >:3
[16:43] James: I should learn these site rules more clearly
[16:44] LztheBlehBird: James doesn't know the rules? For shame!!!

3DS Friend Code: 3136-6802-7042 | Nintendo Network ID: gentlemen_cat | Twitter:

Knux

Third image looks the best to me, but at least you have several options of screen settings for downloadable games (unlike the DS games).

Knux

• Page 1 of 1

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.