3DS Forum

Topic: Zelda: A Link Between Worlds can potentially destroy the Zelda Timeline!

Showing 41 to 60 of 84

AuthorMessage
Avatar

KAHN

41. Posted:

thatguyEZ wrote:

Syrup wrote:

Well, they never said that it's a direct sequel that picks up right after the events of LttP. Most likely, this game is further down the timeline, at a point where the events of the Oracle games already passed, with an entire new Link and Zelda.

This. Or maybe the game ends with the triforce being complete? :P

yeah, i mentioned that in the original post. the only way this disruption in the timeline can occur is if somehow the triforce is incomplete, so either the triforce must remain untouched, or it must be put back together after being taken apart. and i say it's a sequel because "ALinkToThePast 2" was it's pending title, right? and it also has the same overworld as LttP, so i think until i play the game or nintendo announces it takes place somewhere else in the timeline, i will consider this an LttP direct sequel. just me though.

KAHN

3DS Friend Code: 1032-1301-2772 | Nintendo Network ID: Milkman12

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Link-Hero

42. Posted:

If there really is suppose to be a timeline from the start, then how come that it's a huge convoluted confusing mess that even Nintendo can't give a clear answer without people questioning it? That's because they clearly made the games with gameplay in mind while the story is an an afterthought.

The only reason why Nintendo and the manuals like from Adventure of Link mentions that they are a sequel/prequel to another Zelda game because they want people to buy the newest title in the series by riding on the success of the previous games. They want to make money after all.

Now, how about we forget this pointless dilemma and just play the games?

Edited on by Link-Hero

Link-Hero

Nintendo Network ID: LinkHero25

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Undead_terror

43. Posted:

Nightwalker wrote:

To be honest, I don't care (at all) about the accuracy of the timeline, as long as the games themselves are great. :)

I am the zombie god that controls zombie in both games and real life...FEAR ME!
Nintendo Friends website/forums I eShop Gurus I Droid Gurus I Public Chat I Random Game Thread I The graveyard (backloggery)
Currently owns Mario & Luigi Dream Team 3DS XL...no Wii U yet.

3DS Friend Code: 5198-2878-6360 | Nintendo Network ID: Undead_terror

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Syrup

44. Posted:

KAHN wrote:

thatguyEZ wrote:

Syrup wrote:

Well, they never said that it's a direct sequel that picks up right after the events of LttP. Most likely, this game is further down the timeline, at a point where the events of the Oracle games already passed, with an entire new Link and Zelda.

This. Or maybe the game ends with the triforce being complete? :P

yeah, i mentioned that in the original post. the only way this disruption in the timeline can occur is if somehow the triforce is incomplete, so either the triforce must remain untouched, or it must be put back together after being taken apart. and i say it's a sequel because "ALinkToThePast 2" was it's pending title, right? and it also has the same overworld as LttP, so i think until i play the game or nintendo announces it takes place somewhere else in the timeline, i will consider this an LttP direct sequel. just me though.

According to a recent interview with a Nintendo representative at IGN, the game takes place some time after the events of A Link to the Past. This means that If this game were to fit somewhere in the already established timeline, it must take place after Link's Awakening.

Tumblr: http://sailorsyrup.tumblr.com/

AuthorMessage
Avatar

thatguyEZ

45. Posted:

I agree, I don't think it directly follows the events of ALtTP, so saying that does is just baselss speculation. But of course so is saying that it doesn't. But I don't think it will come directly after ALtTP as far as the timeline is concerned.

thatguyEZ

3DS Friend Code: 0791-1617-9793 | Nintendo Network ID: thatguyEZ | Twitter: theinfamousdjez

AuthorMessage
Avatar

KAHN

46. Posted:

thatguyEZ wrote:

I agree, I don't think it directly follows the events of ALtTP, so saying that does is just baselss speculation. But of course so is saying that it doesn't. But I don't think it will come directly after ALtTP as far as the timeline is concerned.

well, this whole thread is speculation, isn't it lad? ;) as we all know though, we won't know for sure until we actually play the game.
also @Syrup, i stand corrected, but may i ask a link to the article?

KAHN

3DS Friend Code: 1032-1301-2772 | Nintendo Network ID: Milkman12

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Syrup

47. Posted:

@KAHN, http://www.ign.com/videos/2013/07/19/the-legend-of-zelda-a-li...
it was actually a video from SDCC.

Tumblr: http://sailorsyrup.tumblr.com/

AuthorMessage
Avatar

SCAR392

48. Posted:

EDIT: I saw the IGN video so NVM. I thought that, but since it was in question...

EDIT2: Actually, NVM AGAIN. They only said it takes place after ALttP, but that could be any timeline even still.

Edited on by SCAR392

$¢@®³’²

AuthorMessage
Avatar

KAHN

49. Posted:

SCAR392 wrote:

EDIT2: Actually, NVM AGAIN. They only said it takes place after ALttP, but that could be any timeline even still.

assuming all timelines occur simultaneously, of course. i'm not sure where to begin with that topic though. do they occur simultaneously, or do they only happen when you choose one, leaving the other two for dust? i don't even think NINTENDO has answered that question. and even then, the answer is probably really scientific and complicated (being that it's in relation to alternate universes or parallels), which is not in my field.

KAHN

3DS Friend Code: 1032-1301-2772 | Nintendo Network ID: Milkman12

AuthorMessage
Avatar

SCAR392

50. Posted:

KAHN wrote:

SCAR392 wrote:

EDIT2: Actually, NVM AGAIN. They only said it takes place after ALttP, but that could be any timeline even still.

assuming all timelines occur simultaneously, of course. i'm not sure where to begin with that topic though. do they occur simultaneously, or do they only happen when you choose one, leaving the other two for dust? i don't even think NINTENDO has answered that question. and even then, the answer is probably really scientific and complicated (being that it's in relation to alternate universes or parallels), which is not in my field.

I was under the impression they were occurring simultaneously, but it's really anyone's guess.
"Hero is Defeated" is basically impossible, unless you never played any game starting with OoT, forward.
"Decendants of Hero" is pretty self explanatory. The timeline picks up directly after OoT, so...
As for "Hero of Wind", that only takes place if Ganon is one who's experiences matter past his defeat in OoT in the future. Link ultimately goes back in time and saves Termina. The only way WW could ever happen is if Link never went to Termina during his search for Navi.

Both the MM and WW timelines are directly reliant on OoT taking place. So "Hero is Defeated" is as if OoT never happened from that point forward.

I think that makes sense.

EDIT: So, ya. I think you're right about one not existing over the other. That's why I think they're going to make the Zelda U game be able to take place after any timeline.

Edited on by SCAR392

$¢@®³’²

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Syrup

51. Posted:

According to an interview with Kotaku, Eiji Aonuma stated,

"It’s not a direct sequel in the sense that it’s the same Link and Zelda. The world is the same and it might be a different generation of Link and Zelda."

Also, in another interview with cnet.com, it is also stated that the game takes place in the same universe as ALttP, i.e. the same timeline (The Hero is defeated timeline)

So, that pretty much clears up any confusion regarding those topics.

Tumblr: http://sailorsyrup.tumblr.com/

AuthorMessage
Avatar

DePapier

52. Posted:

Honestly, they made that timeline on the fly, if the new Wii U Zelda has nothing to with it at all, they'll always find the way to reconnect the dots.

https://miiverse.nintendo.net/users/Luther
https://miiverse.nintendo.net/users/Therlu

http://www.notenoughshaders.com/2013/01/15/f-zero-wii-u-lets-dream-it/
http://www.notenoughshaders.com/2013/07/01/opinion-a-suggestion-for-a-wii-u-pricing-restructure/

3DS Friend Code: 4468-2063-9396 | Nintendo Network ID: Luther

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Varia01

53. Posted:

My bro suggests Between Worlds is gonna replace Link in the Past's position in the timeline.

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 3, Zelda Twilight Princess, & Metroid Other M
Hyped for: Sonic Lost World, Super Smash Bros 3DS, & Dream Team

Even though I have beaten many of the games I'm still playing, I play them not to win, but to have fun.

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Zach777

54. Posted:

Wasn't the Zelda timeline destroyed anyway?

Wii Friend Code: 5530-6075-2319-8028
3DS Friend Code: 0173-1350-1794
Poke'Mon White 2 Friend Code: 2065-7000-4226
WiiU NNID: Zach777
AC:NL Dream Address: 4500-2207-2260

AuthorMessage
Avatar

KAHN

55. Posted:

SCAR392 wrote:

KAHN wrote:

SCAR392 wrote:

EDIT2: Actually, NVM AGAIN. They only said it takes place after ALttP, but that could be any timeline even still.

assuming all timelines occur simultaneously, of course. i'm not sure where to begin with that topic though. do they occur simultaneously, or do they only happen when you choose one, leaving the other two for dust? i don't even think NINTENDO has answered that question. and even then, the answer is probably really scientific and complicated (being that it's in relation to alternate universes or parallels), which is not in my field.

I was under the impression they were occurring simultaneously, but it's really anyone's guess.
"Hero is Defeated" is basically impossible, unless you never played any game starting with OoT, forward.
"Decendants of Hero" is pretty self explanatory. The timeline picks up directly after OoT, so...
As for "Hero of Wind", that only takes place if Ganon is one who's experiences matter past his defeat in OoT in the future. Link ultimately goes back in time and saves Termina. The only way WW could ever happen is if Link never went to Termina during his search for Navi.

Both the MM and WW timelines are directly reliant on OoT taking place. So "Hero is Defeated" is as if OoT never happened from that point forward.

I think that makes sense.

EDIT: So, ya. I think you're right about one not existing over the other. That's why I think they're going to make the Zelda U game be able to take place after any timeline.

well, Windwaker does take place in the adult world left behind, and MajorasMask takes place in Link traveling back in time to search for Navi (which is never explained if he finds her or not, btw). the reason why WW takes place is because link went to Termina, therefor link isn't present in the adult timeline. Ganon comes back, but with no link to fight him, so the goddesses flooded hyrule. meanwhile the REAL link is in a parallel version of Hyrule called "Termina." i guess in this sense, they all do occur simultaneously.

as for the "hero is defeated" timeline, if at any point in Links journey in OoT he is defeated, Ganon is able to take Link's Triforce, creating yet another parallel universe for the fallen hero timeline to take place. but like you said, this is pretty stupid because that's assuming you haven't played any other game before OoT.

KAHN

3DS Friend Code: 1032-1301-2772 | Nintendo Network ID: Milkman12

AuthorMessage
Avatar

19Robb92

56. Posted:

Your argument implies that the game's story has to do with the Triforce. That's not necessarily the case, it could just be a bad guy trying to take over Hyrule or trying to capture Zelda.

Looking forward to: ZeldaU & Hyrule Warriors

3DS Friend Code: 3007-8070-6318 | Nintendo Network ID: 19Robb92

AuthorMessage
Avatar

KAHN

57. Posted:

19Robb92 wrote:

Your argument implies that the game's story has to do with the Triforce. That's not necessarily the case, it could just be a bad guy trying to take over Hyrule or trying to capture Zelda.

i've said it before, my argument is reliant on someone breaking the triforce. if it is completely left out, like it is in several other zelda games, than everything is just fine.

KAHN

3DS Friend Code: 1032-1301-2772 | Nintendo Network ID: Milkman12

AuthorMessage
Avatar

BlatantlyHeroic

58. Posted:

A time line just adds to the story of the game. It's obvious that Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask, Twilight Princess, and The Wind Waker are all connected. They make the stories based on the time line established with those games. Did the older games follow a time line? No, but it is fact that the newer games do.

3DS Friend Code: 0962-9923-0016

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Zombie_Barioth

59. Posted:

KAHN wrote:

well, Windwaker does take place in the adult world left behind, and MajorasMask takes place in Link traveling back in time to search for Navi (which is never explained if he finds her or not, btw). the reason why WW takes place is because link went to Termina, therefor link isn't present in the adult timeline. Ganon comes back, but with no link to fight him, so the goddesses flooded hyrule. meanwhile the REAL link is in a parallel version of Hyrule called "Termina." i guess in this sense, they all do occur simultaneously.

That certainly makes sense. I've always seen the timeline as banching paths and alternate realities, like an adventure book. In this case Link either A) Stays in Hyrule or B) travels to Termina and the games playout in that particular reality. Each new game is just another "what if" scenario. Majora's Mask takes place a few months after Ocarina of Time while Wind Waker takes place after several centuries so its unlikely they actually took place at the same time. The way I see it Wind waker is what happens if Link were to disappear and Majora's Mask is just what would happen to him and doesn't actually actually matter to the rest of the timeline.

Zombie_Barioth

AuthorMessage
Avatar

CapnPancakes

60. Posted:

Because the Zelda timeline being broken is a crisis that we cannot live with.

Runs the NintendoLife Best VGM Tourney Come Vote!
The Pancakeloggery
Keep it frosty people.
My Super Mario Galaxy Bio courtesy of Dark-Luigi.

3DS Friend Code: 3523-2096-8169 | Nintendo Network ID: Capn_Pancakes