Forums

Topic: Zelda: A Link Between Worlds Thread

Posts 941 to 951 of 951

LzWinky

HappyHappyist wrote:

TopLaytonsHat wrote:

Adam wrote:

I am going to go out on a limb here and say the tldr was a joke, possibly indicating he disagreed.

Now help, I am stuck on a tree limb. Call the fire department.

Sorry, they're all busy helping get this derailed tread back on its tracks.

On Topic: I don't think the game was wasted potential. Sure it was easy, but part of that comes from experimenting with a different formula. I think the worst that could happen is they do it again and improve the difficulty curve.

I've said this before but what they could do is have sets of 3 or 4 dungeons that you can go through in any order and then move on to the next set of more difficult dungeons. It gives some freedom while still offering a sense of difficulty progression.

There are parts of the game i did like. I liked the simple combat, the non-linearity, the freedom to buy most items at the beginning of the game. I also liked the action-based dungeon (I believe it was the Thieve's Hideout). I hated almost every other dungeon though, they pretty much ruined the game for me.

As for experimenting, I call BS. It's an experiment, but it's being sold in stores for full price. They had enough confidence to sell it in stores, so It's going to be judged like a full-price game, not an experiment. As a game, they could have done much better. much better.

On the other hand, why would they charge less for an "experiment"?

Current games: Everything on Switch

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

kkslider5552000

So I've beaten 5 Lowrule dungeons. My semi-final opinion of the game is that, it's great because Zelda, but it's barely on the same level as LTTP, which was quite frankly probably in the lower half of Zeldas for me. I saw someone (Game Theory?) mention that it was kinda an awkward transition from Zelda 1 to OOT, and I kinda get that in a way. But this game is more an awkward mix of old and new game design. It's mix of non-linear and linear are just...weird to me. It reminds me of a lot of Metroidvanias where it's non-linear but much of the game is actually blatantly linear (when you get somewhere important especially).

It's still quite good though. Probably the most interesting 2D dungeons for me since Minish Cap, but with more challenge. The thing is, the non-linear aspects too frequently feels less about having freedom and more that I just ruined Hilda's speeches when you reach new areas of Lowrule and stuff like that and it's stuff like that that makes me shy away from non-linear stuff when stuff I don't want to happen happens like this. It's hard to describe and certain open world games are frankly way better examples of the problems of non-linear gaming...but considering how the narrative doesn't (as far as I know) change because you did things in a different order, it's just weird. Not bad but weird.

But gameplay wise it's really solid and in a lot of ways improves on LTTP. And the wall gimmick is far more fun and creative than it maybe had any right to be, and seeing parts of LTTP overworld in this more 3D perspective (as in when you're on the wall and the camera changes, not the literal 3D, though that is pretty good) is a really cool experience. I'll also say that more often than not I've been trying to avoid side stuff so that a Hero Mode second quest will be more interesting. And despite the strange complaints I had, it's still extremely solid and anyone who likes LTTP more than me probably needs to own it. Despite how weird it can be, it did perfectly mix being a love letter to that game while also being its own game.

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

dirtymangle

This was the best Nintendo game in ages, the puzzles and dungeons were really top notch! Hope for a new 2.5D Metroid with the same quality on the 3DS to be announced at E3!

Can you handle the mangle?! DirtyMangle.com

Guovssohas

The only complaint i had with this fantastic game was the difficulty, it's too easy. The puzzles & dungeons were just too simple. Other than that it is a really really good game.

Guovssohas

CM30

Guovssohas wrote:

The only complaint i had with this fantastic game was the difficulty, it's too easy. The puzzles & dungeons were just too simple. Other than that it is a really really good game.

Aren't most modern Zelda games arguably a bit too easy?

It's not really a problem unique to this one. Also, I wouldn't call some of the sidequests easy, like that cucoo dodging game.

Try out Gaming Reinvented, my new gaming forum and website!
Also, if you're a Wario series fan, check out Wario Forums today! Your only place for Wario series discussion!
My 3DS Friend Code: 4983-5165-4...

Twitter:

Kewlan

How to win the Treacherous Tower:

Upgraded Tornado Rod then Great Spin, both which you get from Mother Maiamai.
I barely lost any hearts.

ಠ_ಠ
Waiting for ShadowforSSB4 to take me up to the heavens.

Favorite Game List:
1#: Lufia 2
2#: Terraria
3#: Team Fortress 2

3DS Friend Code: 3153-4099-8763 | Nintendo Network ID: Kewlan

GuSolarFlare

Kewlan wrote:

How to win the Treacherous Tower:

Upgraded Tornado Rod then Great Spin, both which you get from Mother Maiamai.
I barely lost any hearts.

upgraded tornado rod is probaly the best weapon for fighting. I beat some really hard Shadow Links using it.

goodbyes are a sad part of life but for every end there's a new beggining so one must never stop looking forward to the next dawn
now working at IBM as helpdesk analyst
my Backloggery

3DS Friend Code: 3995-7085-4333 | Nintendo Network ID: GustavoSF

SuperPaperLuigi

What I don't like about Zelda Games generally, and it holds true also for Link Between Worlds (as far as my own preferences go) is the confusing nature of the over-world...

...it reminds me a lot (or vice versa) of the over-world in Thief (2014)...I think in respect of how the paths through the over-world are designed they're extremely similar. I guess if I had to I could outline the advantages of that kind of design but, for me...it's just really frustrating...it feels like you're being sent around in circles.

At least with Link Between Worlds, that's so far been true only of the the over-world and not the dungeons (unlike some earlier Zelda handhelds).

I'm getting the hang of using fast travel to circumvent the maze of the open-world but stuff like, how to lift the large boulders (if indeed you can) or how to get the limpets (or whatever they are) from the tops of trees etc. is still absolutely lost to me (I find checking on-line walk-throughs really demotivating to the point of wanting just to abandon a game (if I have to check them extensively)...so may have to pick up the strategy guide.)

It might be interesting to see re-makes of the earlier Zelda handhelds but with the edition of "picture-link" wall-walking ability to circumnavigate the long and confusing circular systems in the earlier games.

Edited on by SuperPaperLuigi

"I try to put good out into the world, that way I can believe it's out there". --CKN

VoltageX

@SuperPaperLuigi I have to admit that ALBW was the only zelda game I played which I really managed to enjoy exploring. in OOT I got lost every half minute, and though in ALBW you need to explore in order to advnace (like finding a secret pass with your wall walking or get to a specipic house which grants you the ability to pick up stones) I just got into it. it can still get annoying at certain points, but it was nothing like the frustration I got from OOT. I thought about getting MM at some point, but decided I wont be able to finish it XD

VoltageX

SuperPaperLuigi

Just finished Link Between Worlds, and I have to say I really enjoyed the dungeons (just not the confusing (and for me, frustrating) over-world, and the boss fights were great, although a better indication of the rate of deterioration of the health of the bosses would, for me, have enhanced things. The boss fights seemed to take too long with the weapons just feeling under-powered. Like they weren't really having that much of an effect and then, suddenly, seemingly out of the blue, the fight's over.

I even ended up liking the Wallmaster.

Having played without using a walkthrough, I still have a blank space on my equipment screen (for speed boots?). In hindsight I'm guessing I would needed to have tried the racing mini-game to get them? I didn't even attempt it because, due to the character dialogue, I didn't think I had the right equipment yet.

And still have no idea how to get the Maiamai's from the tops of the trees etc. No info. in-game on that as far as I could tell.

Also, some points on the map seem to have invisible Maiamai's. I found the ones under the small stones, large stones and slabs and the one that needed the sand-rod, but some of them seem to be calling from nowhere or from inside trees...maybe they're in the adjescent area but...I searched and could not find...as far as I can tell they may as well be invisible.

@VoltageX I know, I didn't play Ocarina on the N64 because the colours were so drab that in combination with the style/difficulty of the design, I personally found it demotivating to the point that it was unplayable for me (like being lost in a confusing and impossible, dark and murky world (basically too much like life for me to enjoy)). However I did play it to completion on 3DS and I have to admit I didn't hold onto it...not a keeper as far as my personal preferences are concerned. I keep thinking I should try Majora's Mask, as it sounds like they twisted it into something that would be more interesting for me but if the core design-philosophies are the same as Ocarina I just know I won't enjoy it...

...if it gets a modern sequel then there's no question I'd play it but, for now, my experience of Ocarina is enough to put me off of trying it.

Edited on by SuperPaperLuigi

"I try to put good out into the world, that way I can believe it's out there". --CKN

Dreamliner

Any chance of this game coming to Nintendo Selects?

Edited on by Dreamliner

Dreamliner

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.