Forums

Topic: Zelda: A Link Between Worlds Thread

Posts 381 to 400 of 951

Kyloctopus

Eiji Aonuma said this game does have a Majora's Mask-related connection near the ending.
Why would the 3DS not have MM3D?

Kyloctopus

3DS Friend Code: 4897-5952-1236 | Nintendo Network ID: Kyloctopus | Twitter:

Tsuchinoko

Kyloctopus wrote:

Eiji Aonuma said this game does have a Majora's Mask-related connection near the ending.

I would love MM3D. Next to Wind Waker that's my favorite.

BTW, Anyone else think its a bit weird that Japan is holding off on ALBW until the day after Christmas. I mean, we don't have a huge "holiday" shopping season like in some western countries, but still, seems kinda odd.

3DS FC - 1547-6126-3842 Largate de mi casa!!
Mother 3 fan. It's an amazing game. 糸井さん、こんな素敵なゲームを作ってくれてありがとう!

Spoony_Tech

Tsuchinoko wrote:

Kyloctopus wrote:

BTW, Anyone else think its a bit weird that Japan is holding off on ALBW until the day after Christmas. I mean, we don't have a huge "holiday" shopping season like in some western countries, but still, seems kinda odd.

Might have something to do with Zelda selling a bit better in the west but yeah still seems odd! Is there another major release in the next two months from 3rd parties? Sometimes they don't want to cut done the 3rd party games sales with the big releases from Nintendo.

John 8:7 He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone.

MERG said:

If I was only ever able to have Monster Hunter and EO games in the future, I would be a happy man.

I'm memory of @Mr_Trill_281 (rip) 3-25-18

Switch Friend Code: SW-7353-2587-4117 | 3DS Friend Code: 3050-7580-4390 | Nintendo Network ID: SpoonyTech | Twitter:

Tsuchinoko

Spoony_Tech wrote:

Tsuchinoko wrote:

Kyloctopus wrote:

Might have something to do with Zelda selling a bit better in the west but yeah still seems odd! Is there another major release in the next two months from 3rd parties? Sometimes they don't want to cut done the 3rd party games sales with the big releases from Nintendo.

I always think its interesting when people talk about Zelda selling better in the west. I think it has more to do with population than anything else. Plus, Wind Waker sold fairly well for a remake here. Skyward Sword actually did well though.

I don't actually see a lot of big first party games coming out in the remaining weeks of 2013. There's ALBW on Dec. 26, and then there's Daigasso Band Brothers (a music game that is a sequel to a DS game) on Nov 14, aaaand, thats it for the 3DS, the Wii U had Wii U Party, Mario 3D World, and Mario and Sonic at the Sochi Olympics.

There's a bunch of third party games though, like Sonic Lost World, Danball Senki Wars, the new Metal Max, Cooking Mama 5, a new Taiko Tatsujin for the Wii U, Project Mirai 2, Disney Infinity, and a lot more.

Sionyn

some strange going on regarding the tada chest pre order bonus
game tweets: We have no pre-order bonus to announce but BUT you can be sure we're working with Din, Nayru & Farore to bring you something special…

Sionyn

FishieFish

So what does everybody think of the special edition bundle?

Untitled

"No one said you could touch."

ThePirateCaptain

I like the design on the outside, but i'm not so keen on the inside. I'm just not sure whether having the inside be gold would detract from the 3D effect at all.

ThePirateCaptain

3DS Friend Code: 3523-2096-8169 | Nintendo Network ID: Capn_Pancakes

ClockworkMario

ClockworkMario wrote:

]Have to say I was sorely disappointed in the reveal. Yeah, I've played some 2D Zeldas, but they never "clicked" to me the same way. I feel that the series truly shines in 3D, to me the puzzles are better, aesthetics look cooler and overall I feel more immersed in the world.

Also the way they revealed it irked me. I mean it's one of their big guns and they just show some kinda bland looking tower/dungeon with recycled music. Just look at the way Nintendo revealed Spirit Tracks [youtube:q7eHFxnIy9E]
Sense of adventure, tidbits of story and awesome, original music. That is how one announces a Zelda game.

Hope it will grow on me, but they'll need to show something more convincing than that.

Figured now's a good time to reflect back to this comment I made when the game was initially announced:

Hmh, what can I say? It still hasn't convinced me totally, though clear enhancements have been made. The gameplay looks a mile bitter and the fragments of story they have shown so far seem interesting. Graphics on the other hand... fairly awful. All the textures look really, really rough and plastic-like. I know most of the game is top-view, but that doesn't excuse shoddy work; Zeldas ought to pull every last drop out of their respective platforms and Link Between Worlds doesn't seem to do so.

Overall lukewarm expectations. I'll probably buy (it is a Zelda after all) but I'm not anxiously waiting for it like I usually do with Zelda-games.
BTW Nintendo still hasn't top that Spirit Tracks trailer above with this game.

Currently on the plate:
Mount and Blade: Warband – Napoleonic Wars
Chivalry
Super Mario 3D World – Finishing the last few levels.
Mario Kart 8

3DS Friend Code: 4425-1586-9129

CM30

So, what the hell are you doing GAME UK?

You see, apparently, Nintendo UK said they'll be offering this treasure chest as a pre-order bonus with the game:

But then GAME have come out and announced they won't be giving away a pre-order gift with the game on their Twitter page! Despite Nintendo UK clearly saying the opposite!

You can see both parties tweets here:

http://nintendo3dsdaily.com/nintendo3dsnews/wait-game-wont-be...

So who's right here?

Try out Gaming Reinvented, my new gaming forum and website!
Also, if you're a Wario series fan, check out Wario Forums today! Your only place for Wario series discussion!
My 3DS Friend Code: 4983-5165-4...

Twitter:

Tsuchinoko

ClockworkMario wrote:

ClockworkMario wrote:

]Have to say I was sorely disappointed in the reveal. Yeah, I've played some 2D Zeldas, but they never "clicked" to me the same way. I feel that the series truly shines in 3D, to me the puzzles are better, aesthetics look cooler and overall I feel more immersed in the world.

Also the way they revealed it irked me. I mean it's one of their big guns and they just show some kinda bland looking tower/dungeon with recycled music. Just look at the way Nintendo revealed Spirit Tracks [youtube:q7eHFxnIy9E]
Sense of adventure, tidbits of story and awesome, original music. That is how one announces a Zelda game.

Hope it will grow on me, but they'll need to show something more convincing than that.

Figured now's a good time to reflect back to this comment I made when the game was initially announced:

Hmh, what can I say? It still hasn't convinced me totally, though clear enhancements have been made. The gameplay looks a mile bitter and the fragments of story they have shown so far seem interesting. Graphics on the other hand... fairly awful. All the textures look really, really rough and plastic-like. I know most of the game is top-view, but that doesn't excuse shoddy work; Zeldas ought to pull every last drop out of their respective platforms and Link Between Worlds doesn't seem to do so.

Overall lukewarm expectations. I'll probably buy (it is a Zelda after all) but I'm not anxiously waiting for it like I usually do with Zelda-games.
BTW Nintendo still hasn't top that Spirit Tracks trailer above with this game.

I honestly agree with this a little bit. I'm not all that happy with the weird 2.5D graphical style, as I don't think it fits with the top down camera angle. I think things like that work for games like Donkey Kong Country side-scrollers. I actually liked the look of Phantom Hourglass, as it kinda fit with the Wind Waker art style. This to me looks a bit plastic, similar to how Yoshi's New Island looks.

I also wanted to expand a bit more on my earlier reply to, yet again, the comment about how Zelda games never really sell well in Japan. That's just not true. After doing some research, I've found that the handheld Zelda games, including Ocarina 3D, Phantom Hourglass, and Spirit Tracks actually sold really well. What doesn't seem to sell as well are the console games.

First week sales:
Ocarina of Time - 480,064
Majora's Mask - 393,081
Wind Waker - 362,811
A Link to the Past - 318,461
Phantom Hourglass - 304,610
Spirit Tracks - 291,496
Skyward Sword - 198,719
Ocarina of Time 3D - 166,365
Twilight Princess - 146,367
Wind Waker HD - 30,770

Now for some current sales to compare, Grand Theft Auto V took 2nd place to Pokemon X/Y this week selling 360,000 copies. Monster Hunter 4's weekly total is 110,208. The new Tales of Symphonia debuted at #4 with 77,000.

I'd say these numbers show that Zelda games actually do quite well, and in recent years the handheld games have kept that trend going.

It seems that when people say that Zelda games don't do well, that they are basing that on the fact that Twilight Princess's poor sales. Of course, the really low sales for Wind Waker HD are down there amongst the worst for the series. Compare that with the original Wind Waker sales. quite below 10% in comparison with its first week sales. And the fact that Twilight Princess sold less than Ocarina of Time 3D says quite a lot.

But looking at the fact that the DS Zelda games outsold all of the recent home console games tells us that the trend of saying that they don't perform well in Japan (based on sales in relation to copies made and monetary sales, not actual numbers as that would be unfair simply for the fact that Japan's population is nowhere near America's). I'm quite sure that A Link Between Worlds will continue this, and I'll be there to get my own copy on day one.

Of course, these sales don't compare at all with Pokemon and Monster Hunter, but really, what else does other than the occasional Mario game?

Oh, and just for reference:
New Super Mario Bros. 2 (3DS) - 423,075
New Super Mario Bros U (Wii U) - 166,572

Both released the same year.

Edited on by Tsuchinoko

Spoony_Tech

@Tsuchinoko That actually surprises me on the sales of Zelda and just confirms my point even more so that it sells better in the west. Also your top 4 are all console games and not hand held! With sales like Monster hunter, Pokemon, and Animal Crossing all over 3 million or soon to be Zelda is trailing FAR behind! Yes those sales are not bad just not what I expected!

MERG said:

If I was only ever able to have Monster Hunter and EO games in the future, I would be a happy man.

Switch Friend Code: SW-7353-2587-4117 | 3DS Friend Code: 3050-7580-4390 | Nintendo Network ID: SpoonyTech | Twitter:

SubBronze

I'm buying this game at launch simply for the Majora's Mask 3D hype. Who knows, maybe they'll put in an after-credits teaser trailer!

SteamID: bulby1994

3DS Friend Code: 5112-3450-2144 | Nintendo Network ID: Bulbousaur

Spoony_Tech

Bulby wrote:

I'm buying this game at launch simply for the Majora's Mask 3D hype. Who knows, maybe they'll put in an after-credits teaser trailer!

A very good reason to play a Zelda game! o_O

MERG said:

Tsuchinoko

Spoony_Tech wrote:

@Tsuchinoko That actually surprises me on the sales of Zelda and just confirms my point even more so that it sells better in the west. Also your top 4 are all console games and not hand held! With sales like Monster hunter, Pokemon, and Animal Crossing all over 3 million or soon to be Zelda is trailing FAR behind! Yes those sales are not bad just not what I expected!

I know but what I said is that in recent years, mainly the past 10, the handheld Zelda games have all outsold the home console games. The top four are all console games yes, but those games are all over a decade old, with both Skyward Sword and Twilight Princess performing under the DS Zeldas.

And of course they'd sell better, but I said if you look at sales based on the percentage of stock sold, and not actual numbers then proportionally it sells quite well. Its unfair to look at numbers since the population of Japan is much smaller than America, or if you look at the PAL region.

And you can compare the sales to Monster Hunter and Pokemon all you want, but replace those with titles in the west such as GTA, or Halo, and the comparison still fits. Even Pokemon in the west still outsells Zelda by quite a bit.
So no, I don't agree that Zelda is "more popular in the west". Its not a beast like the biggest franchises (and again, it isn't in the west either), but they still sell respectable numbers, which is what I was trying to say.

I'm responding to this common saying that "Japan doesn't care about Zelda" or complaints that the games don't sell well, and that's just not true.

What I do agree with, is that sales for WWHD were abysmal, but there's quite a few reasons for that.

MrGawain

I wonder if he seeds of re-amalgamating the 3 Zelda timelines are being planted? A convergence of all the loose threads. It wouldn't surprise me if the Wii U game at least has references to all the past games, maybe with Link reliving key events of each one?

Nintendo is at least making more of an effort to put easter eggs in connecting the games.

Isn't it obvious that Falco Lombardi is actually a parrot?

CM30

Okay, this sounds cool. Apparently this game has an unlockable hard mode:

http://nintendo3dsdaily.com/nintendo3dsnews/the-legend-of-zel...

Kind of like Hero Mode in Skyward Sword or Hard mode in Mario & Luigi Dream Team. Sounds pretty good if you ask me!

Try out Gaming Reinvented, my new gaming forum and website!
Also, if you're a Wario series fan, check out Wario Forums today! Your only place for Wario series discussion!
My 3DS Friend Code: 4983-5165-4...

Twitter:

RevolverLink

I'd rather the harder mode be available right from the get-go, but I suppose it's nice that it's in there at all, in any case.

The Revloggery

Switch Friend Code: SW-4605-3581-8608 | 3DS Friend Code: 4339-3392-1142 | Nintendo Network ID: RevolverLink

Tsuchinoko

Hard mode? Score! I love it.

@MrGawain I'm not one of those people that NEEDS to have a big timeline and everything to be converged, though the idea of a vague timeline or vague connections is really cool. Little references here and there are all I need, not some overly stated connections. Though I must admit the finding of the Hyrule Castle underwater and seeing all of those Ocarina of Time references in Wind Waker was really cool.

Edited on by Tsuchinoko

BSlyGamerGuy

This game is going to be a smash hit for Nintendo and it's 3DS console, so much that I can see it moving quite a few 3DS units out the door upon release. Between this game and the Pokemon games that just came out, plus the inexpensive 2DS option, I can see Nintendo having one hell of a bankable Christmas this year.

I've been really anticipating this game quite a bit since it was announced and I really look forward to diving into it this holiday season, it's nice to have childhood style excitement about video games again. Thank you 3DS and Nintendo!

Check me out on Twitter - @BSlyTheGamerGuy
Check out http://BslyTheGamerGuy.Tumblr.com Updated 1/11/14 SUPER MARIO review for the NES!

Twitter:

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.