Forums

Topic: Why Sticker Star fails and why Nintendo should stop making worse Paper Mario games

Posts 101 to 120 of 191

Nintendo_Ninja

Things it did well:
Soundtrack
Some puzzles
Controls
Sticker gameplay
Graphics
Bosses

Nintendo ID Network: Nintendo_Ninja
Mario Maker ID: LR5-VQV-THG

3dsplayer

AddADashOfSalt wrote:

Two things.

One; I liked Sticker Star as a game. Ok, it's not a traditional Paper Mario game, I get that. But it's still good as a game in its own right. I loved it, actually, and found it very fun, even without all the stuff people complain about (I think the main things were story, characters, and the sticker system? which the lack of the first two didn't bother me and the 3rd one was what made the game challenging in a good way).

Two; why in the world should Intelligent Systems EVER make another Paper Mario game? Seriously, why? Super Paper Mario got a ton of hate. Paper Mario: Sticker Star got a ton of hate. Logically speaking, Intelligent Systems should not make another Paper Mario game because they can't seem to please its fans. I can already hear your response though: "But @AddADashOfSalt, those were bad games, because they weren't almost exactly the same as the original and The Thousand Year Door! We want a game that's almost exactly the same as the first two, with no changes whatsoever to the way the game plays, an amazing story, and not all the crappy weird stuff Sticker Star and Super Paper Mario had in it!" Ok, so basically, I think what you want in The Thousand Year Door. So go play it. Or request a remake. You're literally asking for almost exactly the same thing that Thousand Year Door and the original were. And game developers have figured out that usually, in order to make a profit, their new game has to not be a ROM hack. As for story, go read a freakin' book if that's why you're so into games (not saying that story in games is bad, but the lack thereof shouldn't prevent you from liking a game). Books have a lot of characters in them, too.

So yes, seriously, give me a valid reason why Intelligent Systems should make another Paper Mario game. Logically, they shouldn't and may not. They can't seem to satisfy you, and when they make a new game they're going to have something in it that is new in order for people to be interested. If you're not willing to embrace games as, well, games, then don't play them.

Ok? Then we shall never have another good Paper Mario game, it has come to conclusion

Edited on by 3dsplayer

League of legends username - 3dsplayer ( 2pacEn0t0ri0u3cr is currently banned)
Neopet shop - http://www.neopets.com/browseshop.phtml?owner=bosswario
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YxeklRO7qWw

Spoony_Tech

Ah but in its own way it did have a level system so to speck. How else could you just stomp on an early enemy and just kill it as opposed to battling it. It might not have been a traditional level up but you still grew stronger.

John 8:7 He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone.

MERG said:

If I was only ever able to have Monster Hunter and EO games in the future, I would be a happy man.

I'm memory of @Mr_Trill_281 (rip) 3-25-18

Switch Friend Code: SW-7353-2587-4117 | 3DS Friend Code: 3050-7580-4390 | Nintendo Network ID: SpoonyTech | Twitter:

3dsplayer
huff n. puff theme

Dark-Luigi

The only thing I didn't like about is the story. It felt a bit...boring and basic, everything else was fine. The very first was weak, but keep it cute. Thousand Year Door and SPM story were pretty strong. Never before I seen a Mario game with a story that strong of a story. SPM defiently nailed it with that. Hence why it remains my top PM game, and game in general.

The Green Thunder Strikes Like Lightning!
My Intro. <- Made it mysel...

Switch Friend Code: SW-0430-1213-7546 | 3DS Friend Code: 0516-7864-0671 | Nintendo Network ID: DarkGreenThunder

Nintendo_Ninja

Paper Mario Sticker Star is a fun Puzzle/RPG/Platforming game. The puzzles are fun and keep you guessing. The patform mechanics aren't bad, but they don't work exceptionally well with the camera angle. The RPG aspects are poor with no level up system. Battles feel pointless and there are no companions to speak of. The story is bland at times, but there are some likeable characters. The graphics are nice with some cool looking areas and bosses. The music is great and there are some memorable tunes. The sticker system is ok, but there aren't enough pages and there aren't enough stickers in most areas. Combat is nice, but with hardly any special moves or learnable skills. Overall, the game is ok, but with a few flaws. I give it a 7.5/10.

Nintendo_Ninja

ARE YOU KIDDING ME?! We have people saying its one of the worst games they've played! No. Just, no! Not even top 25 worst games ever made.

JoeyTS

This game is mediocre at best and does quite a few things wrong. First of all the graphics look very nice and the music is enjoyable too. Though the actual game itself paces terribly. Backtracking is the main issue, for some puzzles you will need to use a sticker in another random level to continue. Also the combat is terrible. You just use stickers because Mario apparently forgot how to jump or use a hammer on his own. And in a boss fight, if you're out of stickers you'll have to quit and get more which is a huge pain because if your at the end of the boss but you're out of stickers, you will have to start ALL OVER! So after the third world I just gave up and threw it away, it was just not fun. On the bright side it feels like a Paper Mario game when not in combat including the humorous text and cute characters. So in other words, the presentation overall is great but the gameplay itself is boring. Overall I would give this game a 5/10.

Edited on by JoeyTS

UPDATE: Bowser just ate some cake and it was yummy

yyyy89786

Scanning wrote:

Haha. They just need to bring back Yuka Tsujiyoko as composer for the series, she definitely helped in making the first two Paper Mario games great.

YES. YES. YES.

yyyy89786

3dsplayer

Imagamerboi wrote:

This game is mediocre at best and does quite a few things wrong. First of all the graphics look very nice and the music is enjoyable too. Though the actual game itself paces terribly. Backtracking is the main issue, for some puzzles you will need to use a sticker in another random level to continue. Also the combat is terrible. You just use stickers because Mario apparently forgot how to jump or use a hammer on his own. And in a boss fight, if you're out of stickers you'll have to quit and get more which is a huge pain because if your at the end of the boss but you're out of stickers, you will have to start ALL OVER! So after the third world I just gave up and threw it away, it was just not fun. On the bright side it feels like a Paper Mario game when not in combat including the humorous text and cute characters. So in other words, the presentation overall is great but the gameplay itself is boring. Overall I would give this game a 5/10.

5/10 is too medicore lol

8BitSamurai

Nintendo_Ninja wrote:

ARE YOU KIDDING ME?! We have people saying its one of the worst games they've played! No. Just, no! Not even top 25 worst games ever made.

Maybe the worst they've ever played, but yeah, one of the top worst games ever made? Opinions and all, but that's just waaaaaaay far-stretched. Go play Dragon's Lair on the NES, Bubsy 3D, Deadly Towers, or any similar games and tell me Sticker Star can hold any sort of a candle.

"rare download" Assistant

3DS Friend Code: 2320-6175-1689 | Nintendo Network ID: 8BitSamurai

Pokefanmum82

I love SS. It wasn't that bad. I liked collecting the stickers. I give the game an 8.

Want: Harvest Moon: One World, Story of Seasons: Pioneering Town, Super Mario 3D World + Bowser’s Fury

Finished the Alola Dex.
Now playing New Horizons, Wrath of White Witch and Sword

Geonjaha

Nintendo_Ninja wrote:

For me its definitely one of the worst 'AAA' games I've ever played. Probably near the top of Nintendo specific ones.

Geonjaha

3DS Friend Code: 2277-6645-7215

Spoony_Tech

I wouldn't call Sticker Star a AAA title lol. Maybe a franchise favorite series but I wouldn't call any of the Paper Mario titles AAA because I don't think the budget was even that big but I get what you're saying.

MERG said:

If I was only ever able to have Monster Hunter and EO games in the future, I would be a happy man.

Switch Friend Code: SW-7353-2587-4117 | 3DS Friend Code: 3050-7580-4390 | Nintendo Network ID: SpoonyTech | Twitter:

Geonjaha

Spoony_Tech wrote:

I wouldn't call Sticker Star a AAA title lol. Maybe a franchise favorite series but I wouldn't call any of the Paper Mario titles AAA because I don't think the budget was even that big but I get what you're saying.

When I say triple A I basically mean that it cost me £25-35, which it did unfortunately (at the time of release of course). Long passed are the days where AAA meant quality. It basically means relatively large budget and price point in my eyes.

Edited on by Geonjaha

Geonjaha

3DS Friend Code: 2277-6645-7215

CanisWolfred

Even then, I still envy you. I can think of even 10 AAA games way worse than Sticker Star, and that's even going below the "Other M" Tier of games that are competant but betray their series conventions...

Have you not played WET? Eat Lead? Daikatana? Too Human? Duke Nukem Forever? Red Steel? Divinity II? (or was it Gothic 4? I get them confused since they both sucked, no matter how much Waltz said otherwise...) Neverdead? Crossedge? Hoshigami? Lunar: Dragon Song?

...or am I the only one stupid enough to play these games? -_-

Edited on by CanisWolfred

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

3dsplayer

Pokefanmum82 wrote:

I love SS. It wasn't that bad. I liked collecting the stickers. I give the game an 8.

I can't see Sticker star getting an 8

Edited on by 3dsplayer

Spoony_Tech

@3dsplayer

http://www.metacritic.com/game/3ds/paper-mario-sticker-star Well guess what, it got plenty of them and I personally gave it a 10! Just because many didn't like it there are those that loved it!

Edited on by Spoony_Tech

MERG said:

SMEXIZELDAMAN

CanisWolfred wrote:

Even then, I still envy you. I can think of even 10 AAA games way worse than Sticker Star, and that's even going below the "Other M" Tier of games that are competant but betray their series conventions...

Have you not played WET? Eat Lead? Daikatana? Too Human? Duke Nukem Forever? Red Steel? Divinity II? (or was it Gothic 4? I get them confused since they both sucked, no matter how much Waltz said otherwise...) Neverdead? Crossedge? Hoshigami? Lunar: Dragon Song?

...or am I the only one stupid enough to play these games? -_-

Unfortunately....that seems to be the case

Check out SUBLIME GAMER, my YouTube Channel
God loves you

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.