3DS Forum

Topic: Why is 3ds forum cluttered with stickies?

Showing 21 to 37 of 37

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Tasuki

21. Posted:

Why do you keep saying new Admins? As far as I know its been the same Admins from Day one except for a few like James.

Push Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

Nintendo Network ID: Tasuki311

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Stereoman

22. Posted:

Tasuki wrote:

Why do you keep saying new Admins? As far as I know its been the same Admins from Day one except for a few like James.

the locked topic above this topis is a very good answer to this.

It took 4 hours for the topic to get locked. And i claim that before autum 2013 that one cheating topic for pokemon would have gotten closed much more quickly.
Im a regular reader of this forum for a long term. And i just notice that the moderation got slower and worse. Yes this is subjective, but that is my opinion.
Thats why i talk about "new" admins. Since i cant explain it else.

Stereoman

AuthorMessage
AvatarStaff

WaLzgi

23. Posted:

Stereoman wrote:

So you could lock friend request threads in the past, but u cant lock pokemon threads in the present and future ?

I lock them on a daily basis. We have a tool where they'll be locked and they'll no longer appear on thread lists.

I asked about the staff since i didnt see much activity from blackdragon lately.
And yes blackdragon did lock and moderate the forum well.

She's still around.

So are u planning to unsticky threads in the future. And will the community be able to choose what threads will get sticky at all?

When things quiet down, we'll unsticky them. And no, sticky threads are strictly for the moderators to decide.

And yes smash bros and pokemon ARE random games. Since this sticky practice started exactly last year in october 2012.

We anticipate these will have the highest volume of traffic. Like you yourself mentioned, we want to avoid too many stickies.

And yes 3Ds released in 2011 so you had plenty of times to create a proper sticky mechanic and introduce it to a wide audience and game selection.
Smash bros isnt released yet and already gets a sticky topic.
And im pretty sure animal crossing is as popular as pokemon and yet doesnt get a sticky topic. Yet animal crossing got as good connectivity as pokemon with all trading and forniture. So your picks are random and i dont see objective reasoning behind it. unless suddenly in year 2013 this forum cant handle a suddenly backlash of an exceptional growth of community of the sudden arise of a pokemon game in the 3ds library

Again, it's not a matter of who's the most popular necessarily. It's who will get the most threads. Right now, Smash and Pokemon are those two.

If you care so much for your privacy, what are you hiding?

Nintendo Life moderator and duck.

My BUY_A_WII_U_loggery

3DS Friend Code: 2234-7139-4188 | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

AuthorMessage
AvatarStaff

WaLzgi

24. Posted:

Tasuki wrote:

Why do you keep saying new Admins? As far as I know its been the same Admins from Day one except for a few like James.

Moderator-wise dragon is the only admin (Community Manager). Raylax, Philip_J_Reed, and I are the moderators.

Edited on by WaLzgi

If you care so much for your privacy, what are you hiding?

Nintendo Life moderator and duck.

My BUY_A_WII_U_loggery

3DS Friend Code: 2234-7139-4188 | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

AuthorMessage
Avatar

KittenKoder

25. Posted:

Stereoman wrote:

Tasuki wrote:

Why do you keep saying new Admins? As far as I know its been the same Admins from Day one except for a few like James.

the locked topic above this topis is a very good answer to this.

It took 4 hours for the topic to get locked. And i claim that before autum 2013 that one cheating topic for pokemon would have gotten closed much more quickly.
Im a regular reader of this forum for a long term. And i just notice that the moderation got slower and worse. Yes this is subjective, but that is my opinion.
Thats why i talk about "new" admins. Since i cant explain it else.

Things you fail to consider with this notion, well, one thing, one huge thing: The participation level in any online forums is always fluctuating, that includes growing and shrinking. When you have to deal with 1,000+ posts from 1,000+ users in the matter of five minutes and keep up, then you can complain about such. I moderated a political forum, there were times we had over a hundred flame wars burning before finding them all.

Friend list is full, I will be clearing room for Bravely Default soon though. Colors! 3D Gallery, My Blog
NNID: KittenKoder ..... what else would it be?

3DS Friend Code: 3497-0224-3414 | Nintendo Network ID: KittenKoder | Twitter: KittenKoder

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Tasuki

26. Posted:

KittenKoder wrote:

Stereoman wrote:

Tasuki wrote:

Why do you keep saying new Admins? As far as I know its been the same Admins from Day one except for a few like James.

the locked topic above this topis is a very good answer to this.

It took 4 hours for the topic to get locked. And i claim that before autum 2013 that one cheating topic for pokemon would have gotten closed much more quickly.
Im a regular reader of this forum for a long term. And i just notice that the moderation got slower and worse. Yes this is subjective, but that is my opinion.
Thats why i talk about "new" admins. Since i cant explain it else.

Things you fail to consider with this notion, well, one thing, one huge thing: The participation level in any online forums is always fluctuating, that includes growing and shrinking. When you have to deal with 1,000+ posts from 1,000+ users in the matter of five minutes and keep up, then you can complain about such. I moderated a political forum, there were times we had over a hundred flame wars burning before finding them all.

Not only that but the mods have lives outside of Nintendolife. It's not like they sit in front of a PC all day. They work, have families and heck play games themselves. Also they just don't go around locking threads they keep an eye on them and if they get out of hand they lock them.

Push Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

Nintendo Network ID: Tasuki311

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Stereoman

27. Posted:

@ kittenkoder

ok thats a fair point. Thanks for mentioning that.

But maybe then its time to grow the staff ? I mean when your forum gets more popular and higher clicks then the next step would be to adjust either the system technically or the staff to that rapid growth.

Stereoman

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Stereoman

28. Posted:

Tasuki wrote:

KittenKoder wrote:

Stereoman wrote:

Tasuki wrote:

Why do you keep saying new Admins? As far as I know its been the same Admins from Day one except for a few like James.

the locked topic above this topis is a very good answer to this.

It took 4 hours for the topic to get locked. And i claim that before autum 2013 that one cheating topic for pokemon would have gotten closed much more quickly.
Im a regular reader of this forum for a long term. And i just notice that the moderation got slower and worse. Yes this is subjective, but that is my opinion.
Thats why i talk about "new" admins. Since i cant explain it else.

Things you fail to consider with this notion, well, one thing, one huge thing: The participation level in any online forums is always fluctuating, that includes growing and shrinking. When you have to deal with 1,000+ posts from 1,000+ users in the matter of five minutes and keep up, then you can complain about such. I moderated a political forum, there were times we had over a hundred flame wars burning before finding them all.

Not only that but the mods have lives outside of Nintendolife. It's not like they sit in front of a PC all day. They work, have families and heck play games themselves. Also they just don't go around locking threads they keep an eye on them and if they get out of hand they lock them.

You can always create artificial examples, tasuki.

Yeah but that doesnt apply there. Since there was a recent activity before that lock ....

Stereoman

AuthorMessage
Avatar

KittenKoder

29. Posted:

Stereoman wrote:

@ kittenkoder

ok thats a fair point. Thanks for mentioning that.

But maybe then its time to grow the staff ? I mean when your forum gets more popular and higher clicks then the next step would be to adjust either the system technically or the staff to that rapid growth.

That would be ideal, but usually not feasible. You don't want too many moderators, too many cooks and all, but yes, you do need to balance them out with the traffic as well. Moderating isn't a simple task of "this is wrong, delete it" so they can't just ask anyone to be a moderator. If it could be as simple as censoring, then they'd not need moderators at all anyway. ;) Ideally though, no forum would ever need more than one moderator, realistically you can't really predict how many moderators, and who to pick for the positions, you will need.

Personally, I think the moderators here do a wonderful job, the balance is decent and their conflicts between each other are minimal. I left the political forum because there was too much debate on what we considered "acceptable" and that ruined the whole forum. Which is one reason it's sometimes better to have a smaller staff and just try your best than to have enough to catch everything and create friction in the upper echelons of the forums.

Friend list is full, I will be clearing room for Bravely Default soon though. Colors! 3D Gallery, My Blog
NNID: KittenKoder ..... what else would it be?

3DS Friend Code: 3497-0224-3414 | Nintendo Network ID: KittenKoder | Twitter: KittenKoder

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Tasuki

30. Posted:

Stereoman wrote:

@ kittenkoder

ok thats a fair point. Thanks for mentioning that.

But maybe then its time to grow the staff ? I mean when your forum gets more popular and higher clicks then the next step would be to adjust either the system technically or the staff to that rapid growth.

Well it has grown staffwise they added Lz and Raylax as mods last year, and I am sure that if they see fit they will add more. Honestly compared to other sites that I have been too the moderation is great here which is one reason I stick around here.

Push Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

Nintendo Network ID: Tasuki311

AuthorMessage
AvatarStaff

WaLzgi

31. Posted:

We still get every report and handle them as soon as we can (especially the hundreds from Tasuki ;) )

If you care so much for your privacy, what are you hiding?

Nintendo Life moderator and duck.

My BUY_A_WII_U_loggery

3DS Friend Code: 2234-7139-4188 | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Stereoman

32. Posted:

@ Tasuki

yeah and i dont compare Nlife to some terrible moderated random else forums. I liked the moderation here in the past. It's totally ok to lock threads and whatnot.
And my opinion still stands that i think this forum was better moderated in the past than in present. But well maybe its about a random raise in the traffic.
Only future will tell how this 3ds forum will develop. I really hope there aint 10 stickys in some months to go and maybe even the sticky decrease.

Stereoman

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Tasuki

33. Posted:

@Unca_Lz: I am not that bad.

it's probably more like thousands :P

Edited on by Tasuki

Push Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

Nintendo Network ID: Tasuki311

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Tasuki

34. Posted:

@Stereoman: I understand what you are saying and yeah that's probably it its just the random raise in traffic. Over the past year and half I would Nintendolife has grown alot and sadly when a site grows the amount of unsavory guests do to. But its as KittenKoder says its about maintaining a balance and trusting a person to be a mod. I mean I know Lz was joking (at least I am hoping he was) but I do report alot to the mods, and I try to help direct people to an ongoing thread in a duplicate thread in hopes that this place stays a friendly, clean community.

I am sure that when the mods feel that the stickies no longer fulfill their purpose they will change them back to unstickied threads and allow them to be buried in the depts of the forums.

Push Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

Nintendo Network ID: Tasuki311

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Morpheel

35. Posted:

Unca_Lz wrote:

We still get every report and handle them as soon as we can (especially the hundreds from Tasuki ;) )

You heard it here folks, if you thread gets locked, blame Tasuki :3

Oops, no username pun.

Oh look! A Morphloggery.
Oh! eShop Gurus.

3DS Friend Code: 0173-1330-0080 | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Tasuki

36. Posted:

Moorpheel wrote:

Unca_Lz wrote:

We still get every report and handle them as soon as we can (especially the hundreds from Tasuki ;) )

You heard it here folks, if you thread gets locked, blame Tasuki :3

Pffft that didn't stop people before. :P

Push Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

Nintendo Network ID: Tasuki311

AuthorMessage
Avatar

ReindeerDasher

37. Posted:

Oh, it looks like my good friend Stereoman is back!

Well in that case, I won't bother trying to say anything against your point, seeing as you still won't listen.

8 Bit Forward
My Bio, by True_Hero, and another by Dark-Luigi. Oh, and a Kid Icarus one, too, created by Cyb3rnite.
deviantART Profile

Pit - "Uh, what's a KO?"
Palutena - "Good luck, Pit."

3DS Friend Code: 2578-3165-4977 | Nintendo Network ID: NintenDash | Twitter: KiDasharus