Forums

Topic: Underrated 3DS games

Posts 141 to 160 of 180

e-love

The music at least should get some recognition. Its the best I've heard in a video game in the last few years.

✰ not around as much as I used to be ✰

moomoo

Emaan wrote:

The music at least should get some recognition. Its the best I've heard in a video game in the last few years.

You do realize that this was arguably the best year for video game music ever, right? For what it's worth, I actually understand why this game's soundtrack didn't stand out when you had the likes of Mass Effect 3, Fez, Journey, Max Paine 3, Assassin's Creed 3, Xenoblade or The Last Story around. I do know that for Gametrailers just narrowing a solid 5 down was incredibly hard for them and took them weeks. When you've got Darksiders 2's soundtrack not showing up at all, then you know that this was kind of a stacked year in that regard.

Best thread ever
Feel free to add me on Miiverse or PSN.
Miiverse is Moomoo14, PSN is Moomoo1405390

3DS Friend Code: 4940-5561-6002 | Nintendo Network ID: Moomoo14

rayword45

Best soundtrack of the year should be Little Inferno. I have to say I liked it more then Journey and Kid Icarus.

This is a signature.
Link goes here now.
Screw you.

kkslider5552000

rayword45 wrote:

Best soundtrack of the year should be Little Inferno. I have to say I liked it more then Journey and Kid Icarus.

if Little Inferno has the same composer as World of Goo, this is probably a fact

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

I-U

Retro_on_theGo wrote:

Uprising is not underrated.

Thank you. Kid Icarus Uprising, in my opinion, shouldn't even be in this thread. Critically, it's getting an 8.3 average. That's a great game rating for 75 scores, and its user rating is 8.5 as well over on metacritic. I don't understand underappreciation either. The game has music, dialogue and action all competing against each other. That makes it difficult to really get into appreciating a large chunk of its content. To me, the game allows the appreciation it has been getting.

"The secret to ultimate power lies in the Alimbic Cluster."

Skitrules

I-U wrote:

Retro_on_theGo wrote:

Uprising is not underrated.

Thank you. Kid Icarus Uprising, in my opinion, shouldn't even be in this thread. Critically, it's getting an 8.3 average. That's a great game rating for 75 scores, and its user rating is 8.5 as well over on metacritic. I don't understand underappreciation either. The game has music, dialogue and action all competing against each other. That makes it difficult to really get into appreciating a large chunk of its content. To me, the game allows the appreciation it has been getting.

Thank you both that's what I've been trying to say this whole time but in my opinion it might be a little overrated.

Now for something completely different!
Still got it memorized?
My Skitloggery

3DS Friend Code: 2234-7499-3336

CanisWolfred

^Been trying to say that, too. I seriously don't get where the underrated comments are coming from. It's like they've never played a game that wasn't almost universally praised before (though I guess the point of an underrated game is that few people have played them, so I guess that's rather likely. Still makes me a bit sad, though)

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

e-love

@moomoo, It's the best I've heard in a while.

Most of the games you mentioned I haven't played so I wouldn't know of their sound quality. Journey and Xenoblade have great soundtracks though. Then again, I said nothing regarding the games this year. Uprising's soundtrack is just the best music I have heard in quite some time.

Edited on by e-love

✰ not around as much as I used to be ✰

rayword45

Kid Icarus I still consider a fair contender only because of critical reception.

Look at any GOTY list, chances are Kid Icarus isn't even a handheld nominee like GameSpot and IGN. Then look at the comments. Most are along the lines of "You stupid f***s where the hell is Kid Icarus?" or perhaps something a bit less tasteful.

Same thing happened with IGN's top 10 list. The majority complained either about Kid Icarus being too low at number 9 (or Revelations at 6), and the amount of shoddy ports like SSFIV and Star Fox being placed on the list at all.

This is a signature.
Link goes here now.
Screw you.

Whopper744

From what I have played of Epic Mickey Power of Illusion, it seems like it may be underrated. It's a little slower paced, but I don't think it's as bad as reviews have been saying....that being said though I haven't played but about 15 minutes so far though.

Nintendo ID : Whopper744

Twitter: @Whopper744games

online games include: Mario Kart 8, Mario Kart 7, Smash Bros Wii U and 3DS, Super Mario Maker and Splatoon.
Try out my Super Mario Maker stages at well! Here's one to start : F98B-0000-0022-0753
(used to be Joshers744...

3DS Friend Code: 4639-9014-2585 | Nintendo Network ID: Whopper744

CanisWolfred

rayword45 wrote:

Kid Icarus I still consider a fair contender only because of critical reception.

Look at any GOTY list, chances are Kid Icarus isn't even a handheld nominee like GameSpot and IGN. Then look at the comments. Most are along the lines of "You stupid f***s where the hell is Kid Icarus?" or perhaps something a bit less tasteful.

Same thing happened with IGN's top 10 list. The majority complained either about Kid Icarus being too low at number 9 (or Revelations at 6), and the amount of shoddy ports like SSFIV and Star Fox being placed on the list at all.

Man, you're spoiled. Most of my top 10 games never get a freakin' mention, yet you're complaining because a popular, influential website calls it the 9th best game on the 3DS, out of 50 or so games, but it's not higher? I'd be glad it was mentioned at all. It's not like people only pay attention to #1. Being on the list alone is an honor. As for awards, portable games rarely win in anything outside of portable-only categories. It sucks, I know, but that's how it is with the big guys. And Gamespot combined the portable games into one single category, which just show how little attention they want to give to those types of games, but also means that a ton of great games got squeezed out. And again, it's one of the highest ranking 3DS games right now with an 83% Average (with an 85% user rating I might add) out of 75 critical reviews. I'm seeing 100's and 90's all over the freakin' place, with only 9 reviews below a 75. You seriously mean to tell me that's not good enough? Bull. Crap.

You don't know what an underrated game is. That's all there is to it.

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

rayword45

I've got to be honest, I'm putting it on too high a pedestal. It being so low on the list wouldn't hurt so much if some good original games like Nano Assault were placed higher, but it was a crappy list anyways (lazy ports take up Number 4 and 7 IIRC. Maybe even #2 if you classify OOT, I don't solely because of the Water Temple).

But trust me, I do know what an underrated game is. The reason I'm classifying this as such is because the user base reaction is "ZOMG GAME OF THE YEAR MOFO!!!!1!!" while critics say "these controls suck" over and over again.

To clarify, it's a different kind of underrated the way I view it. The reviewer average was lowered simply because of a few outlier critics, and the amount of hype made me expect sales among the best even though it's practically a new IP. Totally different from Nano Assault or Crush3D which both unfairly got averages in the 70s and low, low sales. I'd compare the way I consider it as such to Other M only in the way it's not TRUELY underrated. Over one million copies sold and around 80% average, but the fanboys. The freaking fanboys.

Edited on by rayword45

This is a signature.
Link goes here now.
Screw you.

kkslider5552000

yeah Kid Icarus Uprising is technically underrated, but that's only because of how pathetic parts of the gaming industry and journalism have gotten towards most gaming that avoid being samey (unless a game is lucky enough to have a bandwagon or a beloved developer like Journey or something). But again, this is especially true on the Nintendo side of things where sequels have utterly dominated the last few years. For all the justified complaints of frat boy shooters dominating, other system's at least get some new stuff that's successful sometimes like Heavy Rain or lots of downloadable games. Nintendo systems haven't gotten a particularly popular new game since I dunno...the first Layton game? Xenoblade is kinda closer to "success considering it's a new IP JRPG Wii game in 2012 that originally they had no plans to release here."

Edited on by kkslider5552000

Hokori

To those saying "you don't know what underrated is" under rated means it's UNDER RATED on a top ten list a 9 is UNDER an 8 and for a score a 7/10 is UNDER a 9/10

Digitaloggery
3DS FC: Otaku1
WiiU: 013017970991
Nintendo of Japan
niconico community is full of kawaii!
Must finish my backlagg or at least get close this year
W...

CanisWolfred

Hokori wrote:

To those saying "you don't know what underrated is" under rated means it's UNDER RATED on a top ten list a 9 is UNDER an 8 and for a score a 7/10 is UNDER a 9/10

That's not how it works...

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

Gretski

In my opinion, I think Ridge Racer 3D and Adventure Time: Hey Ice King! deserve more credit/fame. Both are very solid and fun titles.

Currently playing: Breath of the Wild

3DS Friend Code: 1805-2301-9391

Chrono_Cross

yeah Kid Icarus Uprising is technically underrated,

On other sites, sure. On NintendoLife, not in the slightest. I see more people praising Uprising on this site than I do any other game out there.

Just for you.
"I'm just a musical prostitute, my dear." - Freddie Mercury

kkslider5552000

CactusJackson wrote:

yeah Kid Icarus Uprising is technically underrated,

On other sites, sure. On NintendoLife, not in the slightest. I see more people praising Uprising on this site than I do any other game out there.

well other than Xenoblade, Last Story and increasingly uninspired Mario releases, I can't name you another game Nintendo released that you could buy at a store other than that Rhythm game that didn't sell despite being 20 bucks and having Team Fortress 2 parodies on the internet.

Edited on by kkslider5552000

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.