Forums

Topic: not a TWEWY sequel ;____;

Posts 281 to 300 of 446

moomoo

Alien_Mosky wrote:

Can this thread get closed?

I don't know about you, but I'm not seeing insults get thrown from either end of this (right now, anyways). It seems civilized enough, at least right now. I'm actually enjoying myself in seeing how this is turning out, especially in how well this game is doing in other areas.

Best thread ever
Feel free to add me on Miiverse or PSN.
Miiverse is Moomoo14, PSN is Moomoo1405390

3DS Friend Code: 4940-5561-6002 | Nintendo Network ID: Moomoo14

CanisWolfred

moomoo wrote:

Do you really think this game will have the same kind of sales numbers?

It doesn't have to have those kind of sales numbers to be profitable. It's a port, and a cheaper one at that. Even if it sells half of what the DS version did, they could easily rake in twice the profit.

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

moomoo

Mickeymac wrote:

moomoo wrote:

[/div]

It doesn't have to have those kind of sales numbers to be profitable. It's a port, and a cheaper one at that. Even if it sells half of what the DS version did, they could easily rake in twice the profit.

I don't doubt you at all in that regard. Final Fantasy 13-2 didn't sell as well as the original, but I think SE made more money off of it than the original because they didn't have to put nearly as much cash into it due to the engine and assets already being there.

I'm not saying SE made a bad decision in putting this on iPads. I'm simply saying I believe they're in for a wake-up call if they think this will sell better than the DS version.

Best thread ever

Bankai

Given that every year, iOS devices outsell the DS sales figures that it experienced over its entire lifetime (43 million in the last quarter alone for iPhone and iPad - times that by four and you're looking at roughly 160 million devices - likely more since Q3 is a slow quarter)? Yes, simple maths would suggest that the iOS game will outsell the DS title by a significant margin.

Are you basing your opinion on anything more than some guesses and a dear hope that it does fail to validate your opinion? Have you got any data to back yourself up, in other words?

Edited on by Bankai

Chrono_Cross

Just because a device sells tons of units doesn't every game on it will sell well.

The Wii is a great example of this.

Edited on by Chrono_Cross

Just for you.
"I'm just a musical prostitute, my dear." - Freddie Mercury

CanisWolfred

moomoo wrote:

Mickeymac wrote:

moomoo wrote:

I don't doubt you at all in that regard. Final Fantasy 13-2 didn't sell as well as the original, but I think SE made more money off of it than the original because they didn't have to put nearly as much cash into it due to the engine and assets already being there.

I'm not saying SE made a bad decision in putting this on iPads. I'm simply saying I believe they're in for a wake-up call if they think this will sell better than the DS version.

Fortunately, they're not Capcom or Namdai, and S-E has been in the Mobile business for a while now. I think they know what to expect by now.

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

Odnetnin

kkslider5552000 wrote:

moomoo wrote:

@Waltz Not in my area, it's not. It's at 124. I understand it doing well in your area because games are freakishly expensive over there, but for the rest of the world part of that is gone. It's really hard for a game that isn't free-to-play or a dollar to stay on the top grossing place for a very long time. And TWEWY is $20. That's pretty insane, and uniformed fans of idevices are simply going to see it as extremely expensive.
Considering TWEWY sold 650,000 copies world wide (almost completely in NA and Japan, actually) I am willing to bet that this version of the game will not exceed that number within the course of a year without a price cut.

Yes, games can debut very high, but it's very hard for games to stay relevant at that price without sales. It's not that I don't think it won't be a sucess, far from it, but I don't think it will do as well as it did on the DS (at least in Japan and the U.S. In other areas it will probably outsell the DS version simply because those territories just didn't buy it).
Just look at Chaos Rings 2. It debued really high, and yet it's not even on the top 200 in the games section. Look at Horn. It's an awesome game, yet it's at 146 in the games section in my area, and it was definitely higher last week. Without a sale, this game is going to lose relevancy fast, and it doesn't help that it only works on 3 devices right now (iphone 4, 4S, and ipad 2). I just don't see this passing 650,000 like the DS version.

[/div]

shh, too much logic. Need not apply.

I would never get a butchered port like this. Now excuse me while I go back to MGS3D (irony hurhur).

MGS:SE3D was not a butchered port, btw. Have you played it?

Six word TV reviews
The Worst Firework Displays of all Time

3DS Friend Code: 3093-7077-1059 | Twitter:

Bankai

Chrono_Cross wrote:

Just because a device sells tons of units doesn't every game on it will sell well.

The Wii is a great example of this.

This is very true, but Square Enix games have historically sold very well on iOS, and TWEWY is off to a very positive start.

There's no data I'm seeing anywhere to suggest the iOS version of TWEWY won't follow the historical trend.

moomoo

@Waltz You've got to keep in mind that this game only works on the most recent devices. Then you have to keep in mind that many people don't use their device(s) for games. Then you have to take into account that many that do buy games don't like to pay much money for them. Then you have people who aren't willing to buy something as niche as TWEWY.

Suddenly the potential audience dwindles. The DS didn't have the exact same problem in that it was a game device built for high-calibur games to come out for it. That's not to say that iPads don't have the potential to provide that kind of experience, but the fact of the matter is that many, potentially most, i-device users don't buy their device for the purpose of playing games at all. Again, I'm not saying this version of TWEWY will do badly at all, but I am saying that the sales numbers for this won't exceed the original. The appstore appeals to a different market, especially where TWEWY did well.

Best thread ever

CanisWolfred

iPhone 4 and iPad 2 are the most recent devices? I guess all those iPhone 5s and iPad 3s I've been looking at in the Apple Store and Best Buy since April were all mock ups, huh?

moomoo wrote:

Then you have to take into account that many that do buy games don't like to pay much money for them. Then you have people who aren't willing to buy something as niche as TWEWY.

Because obviously a series that has been praised to the sun is more niche than a new IP like Chaos Rings, which you just said a few hours ago sold really well...

Edited on by CanisWolfred

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

moomoo

@Mickeymac Yeeaash, totes, mon. You are completely false .
And last time I checked it was a 4s. Still, when you get down to it, this isn't including it's entire spectrum of i-devices, so my point is still sound.
And though Chaos Rings sold well, did it sell half a million copies well? And it was available for more devices. And it was a unique game, so there was a slightly bigger audience due to nobody having played it in another fashion. TWEWY can't even be played on ipod touches, which I find to be really bizarre.

I really wish SE could give out sales numbers for this kind of stuff so I could know whether I'm right or wrong. Right now it's really just speculation.

Edited on by moomoo

Best thread ever

Bankai

@Waltz You've got to keep in mind that this game only works on the most recent devices. Then you have to keep in mind that many people don't use their device(s) for games. Then you have to take into account that many that do buy games don't like to pay much money for them. Then you have people who aren't willing to buy something as niche as TWEWY.

Given that people are buying the most recent devices now that still means, every 12 months, more people have bought devices capable of playing TWEWY than the entire population of DS consoles out there.

And for the record, the game runs on both iPad 2 and the new iPad (iPad 3). It's only the first gen (that is no longer sold) that is incompatible).

Now, of course not everyone with these devices are going to buy the game. Given that less than 1 per cent of people with DS consoles bought the DS version of the game, though, it only needs to be a tiny fraction of the iDevice userbase buying the game for it to outsell the DS version. Over the course of two years (where iOS Devices will have doubled DS lifetime sales), less than 0.5 per cent of iOS owners need to buy the game for it to greatly exceed the DS sales.

These are tiny percentages of a very, very big market that we're talking about here. A tiny bit of marketing initiative on Square Enix's part and it's easily achievable. Why do you think everyone is making iOS games these days?

So, once again, the numbers support my argument, not yours.

Edited on by Bankai

CanisWolfred

moomoo wrote:

@Mickeymac Yeeaash, totes, mon. You are completely false .
And last time I checked it was a 4s. Still, when you get down to it, this isn't including it's entire spectrum of i-devices, so my point is still sound.
And though Chaos Rings sold well, did it sell half a million copies well?

I really wish SE could give out sales numbers for this kind of stuff so I could know whether I'm right or wrong. Right now it's really just speculation.

You're right about the iPhone part, but it still supports the regular 4 that came out years ago. Also supports the iPad 2. I'm looking at the specifications right now.

Anyways, First review.

Edited on by CanisWolfred

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

moomoo

OlympicCho wrote:

Given that people are buying the most recent devices now that still means, every 12 months, more people have bought devices capable of playing TWEWY than the entire population of DS consoles out there.

And for the record, the game runs on both iPad 2 and the new iPad (iPad 3). It's only the first gen (that is no longer sold) that is incompatible).

Now, of course not everyone with these devices are going to buy the game. Given that less than 1 per cent of people with DS consoles bought the DS version of the game, though, it only needs to be a tiny fraction of the iDevice userbase buying the game for it to outsell the DS version. Over the course of two years (where iOS Devices will have doubled DS lifetime sales), less than 0.5 per cent of iOS owners need to buy the game for it to greatly exceed the DS sales.

These are tiny percentages of a very, very big market that we're talking about here. A tiny bit of marketing initiative on Square Enix's part and it's easily achievable. Why do you think everyone is making iOS games these days?

[/div]

Once again, not all ipad owners buy games, period. Everyone with a DS has bought at least 1 game for the thing. Not the case with this device. So even though there are more people with i-devices, it's not exactly as big an audience at all.
Horn came out not even 2 weeks ago, and it's now at the 144 mark in the games section of the appstore, not even present in games. That game recieved marketing, by the way. And it's pretty darn great, too. It's just a different market.
Thus, the numbers support both points of view. It's annoying, isn't it?

Edited on by moomoo

Best thread ever

theblackdragon

@moomoo: what's the big deal about Apple supporting their current-gen devices as opposed to devices from previous generations? No one's screaming because 3DS games aren't coming out for the DS, or Vita games for the PSP... i don't get it o___o;

BEST THREAD EVER
future of NL >:3
[16:43] James: I should learn these site rules more clearly
[16:44] LztheBlehBird: James doesn't know the rules? For shame!!!

3DS Friend Code: 3136-6802-7042 | Nintendo Network ID: gentlemen_cat | Twitter:

Bankai

moomoo wrote:

OlympicCho wrote:

[/div]

[/div]

[/div]

[/div]

Once again, not all ipad owners buy games, period. Everyone with a DS has bought at least 1 game for the thing. Not the case with this device. So even though there are more people with i-devices, it's not exactly as big an audience at all.
Horn came out not even 2 weeks ago, and it's now at the 144 mark in the games section of the appstore, not even present in games. That game recieved marketing, by the way. And it's pretty darn great, too. It's just a different market.
Thus, the numbers support both points of view. It's annoying, isn't it?

[/div]

[/div]

And Infinity Blade 2 sold around 700,000 copies in its first weekend.

TWEWY is not going to have the success of IB2, but it's in a different league entirely to Horn, which is a first-time publishing project by Zynga and a completely unknown franchise by a completely unknown developer.

I'll eat a hatstore full of hats if the game doesn't sell over a million across the world over the next 12 months.

Edited on by Bankai

Hokori

theblackdragon wrote:

@moomoo: what's the big deal about Apple supporting their current-gen devices as opposed to devices from previous generations? No one's screaming because 3DS games aren't coming out for the DS, or Vita games for the PSP... i don't get it o___o;

Well for one there's not a new Nintendo or Sony system EVERY YEAR like iPhone so not everyone is upgrading.

Digitaloggery
3DS FC: Otaku1
WiiU: 013017970991
Nintendo of Japan
niconico community is full of kawaii!
Must finish my backlagg or at least get close this year
W...

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.