3DS Forum

Topic: The 3DS successor is gonna have mobile/tablet features

Showing 1 to 20 of 24

AuthorMessage
Avatar

kkslider5552000

1. Posted:

I just felt like stating an obvious fact. It's the most inevitable thing possible.

I think with Wii U's continued interest to actually be a video game console and how 3DS' 3D is optional, Nintendo can still make it a valid gaming platform with the mobile/tablet features as a blatant marketing thing. And yes, even Nintendo totally knows that, unless you want to tell me the NSMB sequels were made for the art.

I don't consider this an issue or something to be worried about most likely, Nintendo has proven it's willing to stick to focusing on gaming. I dunno if it's straight up gonna be a hybrid of an HD DS and a smart phone or whatever, but something like that. And hey, if it gets Nintendo fighting back against the increasingly horrendous mobile gaming scene (aka the "your best shot is to have no morals or dignity" scene), I consider this for the greater good. Because what money obsessed corporate bs has turned mobile gaming into is the worst thing in gaming. THE WORST THING. Like the EA article was just a reminder that someone needs to stop this, it is just so depressing. And the fact that quality franchises and developers are forced into all of the worst trends, mostly via some misguided idea that its the only way to actually make money on handheld gaming, is just the saddest thing, and I'm really sick of it.

3DS friend code: 2878 - 9709 - 5054
Nintendo Network ID: SliderGamer55

I have a Let's Play channel? How?!

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Bolt_Strike

2. Posted:

Define "mobile/tablet" features, because I'm not sure what Nintendo could add that would be worthwhile. They've already got touch screen features. They've already got digital games. They've already got F2P games. They've already got multimedia apps (although they could certainly be improved). I don't think they're going to add phone service. What else do they need?

Edited on by Bolt_Strike

Bolt_Strike

3DS Friend Code: 4725-8075-8961 | Nintendo Network ID: Bolt_Strike

AuthorMessage
Avatar

brewsky

3. Posted:

There are people wanting cellular data on Nintendo's next handheld, but I wouldn't find it useful.

Now playing:
Hyrule Warriors (Wii U) | Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS (3DS) | Fantasy Life (3DS)
AC:NL Dream Address: 4100-3259-5964
I would come up with a clever name for my backloggery, but my name prevents it.

Nintendo Network ID: brewsky93

AuthorMessage
Avatar

SpookyMeths

4. Posted:

I don't know, I think Nintendo has been savvy enough to know that the mobile market is extremely volatile. Yeah, it seems lucrative at face value, but not when you look at how many people are trying to break into the mobile market. Literally thousands of developers are releasing games on iOS/Android right now. Maybe 10 of them will still be in business next year.

There are components you could take away from mobile gaming and apply to a dedicated handheld. I think Nintendo would try to work that angle. I don't think Nintendo is going to be thinking "how can we make the next handheld more like a mobile?" They're going to be thinking "what have mobiles done that can be successfully applied to a handheld?"

One of the biggest things they have to retain is quality control. Yes, a lot of eShop titles blow hard, but it's nowhere near the scale of the mobile market. There is a sea of unplayable garbage on smart devices, because anyone and everyone can release a game on iOS or Android. Nintendo learned in the 80s that that's a very bad idea.

Edited on by SpookyMeths

What, like full moons, silver bullets, and eyebrows that join in the middle?

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Prof_Clayton

5. Posted:

They said they would be marketing on Phones. That sounds like the opposite to me, and more like Animal Crossing plaza on Smartphones. And reminders about games to get gamers off their phones and onto the 4DS. There is endless potential there.

Welcome to my signature.
8 Bit Forward Come check out our Forums, Game Challenge League, Reviews, Interviews and more! http://8bitforward.forumotion.com
The Great Wall of Backlog
Videogame Chatroom
Kid Icarus: Uprising Spotpass Weapon Thread
Thank you for visiting; I hope you enjoyed yourself.

3DS Friend Code: 4639-9581-0860 | Nintendo Network ID: Clayton17 | Twitter: 8BitForward

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Nintendo_Ninja

6. Posted:

They probably will make a handheld and console combination and release some apps to go hand and hand with software.

Nintendo ID Network: Ninja84
I play World of Tanks: Ninja840

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Bolt_Strike

7. Posted:

CaviarMeths wrote:

I don't know, I think Nintendo has been savvy enough to know that the mobile market is extremely volatile. Yeah, it seems lucrative at face value, but not when you look at how many people are trying to break into the mobile market. Literally thousands of developers are releasing games on iOS/Android right now. Maybe 10 of them will still be in business next year.

There are components you could take away from mobile gaming and apply to a dedicated handheld. I think Nintendo would try to work that angle. I don't think Nintendo is going to be thinking "how can we make the next handheld more like a mobile?" They're going to be thinking "what have mobiles done that can be successfully applied to a handheld?"

One of the biggest things they have to retain is quality control. Yes, a lot of eShop titles blow hard, but it's nowhere near the scale of the mobile market. There is a sea of unplayable garbage on smart devices, because anyone and everyone can release a game on iOS or Android. Nintendo learned in the 80s that that's a very bad idea.

Yeah, this sounds more like what Nintendo is thinking for their next handheld. They're definitely not going to make a device that directly competes with smartphones and tablets, that's a fool's errand right now. Especially considering Nintendo's company culture, the mobile market probably does not really care about innovative games and might even be turned off by lower tech compared to competitors.

The question remains though, what can Nintendo take away from mobile that could improve their next handheld? Legit question because IDK mobile gaming that well.

Bolt_Strike

3DS Friend Code: 4725-8075-8961 | Nintendo Network ID: Bolt_Strike

AuthorMessage
Avatar

C-Olimar

8. Posted:

Well, it worked for Vita...

C-Olimar

AuthorMessage
Avatar

justlink

9. Posted:

maybe all the connectivity between handheld and console will be like Gameboy Advance and Gamecube, but wirelessly

Hi
I'm Justlink1 on Miiverse, look me up.
Favorite Game: Spirit Tracks
Favorite Series: Zelda, SSB, Earthbound
Favorite childhood game: Sitting Ducks

AuthorMessage
Avatar

unrandomsam

10. Posted:

The quality of those features from Nintendo won't be good enough to interest me.

“30fps Is Not a Good Artistic Decision, It's a Failure”

AuthorMessage
Avatar

adamkop

11. Posted:

I think that Nintendo will just be forced to push more features onto their next handheld. Cross-buy, cross-play, connectivity with the home console, expansive Virtual Console, even more freedom for indies and loads of apps along with multitasking. If they go the smartphone way it could easily speak real doom for them, as people who buy a 600$ phone really think that they spent enough money to get everything for free and won't care for 30$ games.
I just hope that Nintendo expands their product line with toys and original stuff, keeping handheld as it is - a dedicated gaming machine. Seeing how cheap new stuff is I'm pretty sure that they can make a quite powerful console at 100-130$ (production costs) so that many could afford it.

adamkop

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Zizzy

12. Posted:

They might put data features on the new handheld, but I doubt we'll see a Nintendo phone/game console. Doesn't anyone remember the N-Gage? Blending your phone with a gaming device loses it's novelty after a while, especially to an avid gamer.

Don't let GameStop rip you off. Support used gaming and check out 99Gamers. Best trading service I've used.

3DS Friend Code: 4425-1585-6021 | Nintendo Network ID: Zizzy147

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Veloster

13. Posted:

brewsky wrote:

There are people wanting cellular data on Nintendo's next handheld, but I wouldn't find it useful.

Cellular Data (or Mobile Data as I call it), is one of the biggest mistakes ever, since Frieza blew up Krillin.

Edited on by Veloster

The greatest scene in T.V history

3DS Friend Code: 3454-0036-0357

AuthorMessage
Avatar

DanteSolablood

14. Posted:

If mobile/cellular data is in so much demand it makes me wonder why Sony has completely dropped it from the PS Vita - the slim versions are all wi-fi only & I doubt it's just a case of price cutting, It's more likely a lack of demand. We can already access the internet on our mobiles (cell phones) and handhelds offer and escape. Let's not forget that unlike an app, we can continue playing Animal Crossing while still taking a phone call.

I see the future where there is bigger devision in personal technology - we'll have smartwatches which allow us to make calls & receive texts, tablets for our basic computing needs/apps. There will still be space for a dedicated gaming hendheld as long as gaming is an escape for people to relieve their stress. I have a Nexus 7.. the only game I have is the Alpha version of Minecraft PE 1.0 & that's just for testing purposes... I still pull out my 3DS for my relaxation on the move.

Game Name: Danse
Pokedex needs: Pokédex Complete (718), shinies only.
3DS FC: 1461-6243-5395
Safari Type: Steel - Skarmary, Mawile, Klefki
"Friendship is rare, hand me that shotgun buddy, hand me that chair."

Twitter: DanteSolablood

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Blast

15. Posted:

I'm pretty sure the next 3DS/Wii U successor is a console and handheld hybrid.

I own a Wii U and 3DS. I do plan on getting a PS4 someday :D

3DS Friend Code: 2921-9690-6053 | Nintendo Network ID: Mediking9

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Bolt_Strike

16. Posted:

Blast wrote:

I'm pretty sure the next 3DS/Wii U successor is a console and handheld hybrid.

"I'm not sure if handhelds and consoles will merge, but they will become like brothers."

Doesn't sound like a hybrid console is in the cards just yet.

Bolt_Strike

3DS Friend Code: 4725-8075-8961 | Nintendo Network ID: Bolt_Strike

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Windy

17. Posted:

I agree with you and have felt for quite sometime that Nintendo has been pushed into a tablet type of situation. I bet they would do it right. Who knows at this point. Nintendo is well known for surprises maybe they will bring something that blows the world away. I'm more worried abjout the Eshop and its allowance of buggy android type games lately. Nintendo needs to squash anyone who tries to upload a game which obviously crashes. Its their shop it makes them bad.

EA will be right at home in the android market. Buggy broken games. I play quite a bit of android games and even though I do almost every game has a bug or crashes in one way or another. That is what I would hate to see Nintendo come too.

Edited on by Windy

wish list: Bravely Default, Mario Golf, Fantasy Life, Dragon Quest VII, Etrian Odyssey Untold, Monster Hunter 4, Star Wars Pinball.
On the Bubble (Might Buy) - RuneFactory 4, Pokemon X and Y
Dream Title- NHL Hockey with online Play

3DS Friend Code: 0877-0511-8391

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Xiao_Pai

18. Posted:

And here I thought this was official. >.>

I love Erica (Strike Witches), Eureka (Eureka Seven), and Tenma (School Rumble), stay away from them. xD
Update: Also love Yukari and Mizore from Rosario + Vampire.
Another Update: Also Yuuki...from School Rumble...
Yet Another Update: Also Amber and Xiao Pai from Rune Factory 4.

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Windy

19. Posted:

DanteSolablood wrote:

If mobile/cellular data is in so much demand it makes me wonder why Sony has completely dropped it from the PS Vita - the slim versions are all wi-fi only & I doubt it's just a case of price cutting, It's more likely a lack of demand. We can already access the internet on our mobiles (cell phones) and handhelds offer and escape. Let's not forget that unlike an app, we can continue playing Animal Crossing while still taking a phone call.

I see the future where there is bigger devision in personal technology - we'll have smartwatches which allow us to make calls & receive texts, tablets for our basic computing needs/apps. There will still be space for a dedicated gaming hendheld as long as gaming is an escape for people to relieve their stress. I have a Nexus 7.. the only game I have is the Alpha version of Minecraft PE 1.0 & that's just for testing purposes... I still pull out my 3DS for my relaxation on the move.

Fellow Nexus 7 user here :) I actually play quite a bit on mine but its not close to my main gaming system but it is #2. I love my 3ds so much I'm going to be bummed when Nintendo moves on. I was telling a Friend on Skype that if anything happened to my 3ds I would be heartbroken.

wish list: Bravely Default, Mario Golf, Fantasy Life, Dragon Quest VII, Etrian Odyssey Untold, Monster Hunter 4, Star Wars Pinball.
On the Bubble (Might Buy) - RuneFactory 4, Pokemon X and Y
Dream Title- NHL Hockey with online Play

3DS Friend Code: 0877-0511-8391

AuthorMessage
Avatar

kkslider5552000

20. Posted:

The rise of free to play stuff coming out on 3DS helps my theory. Especially since again, it isn't disgusting like a lot of "free to play" stuff on iOS.

3DS friend code: 2878 - 9709 - 5054
Nintendo Network ID: SliderGamer55

I have a Let's Play channel? How?!