Forums

Topic: The 3DS is a good console. Why is so hated?

Posts 121 to 140 of 153

SomeBitTripFan

@Ralizah: Yeah, I know, but thanks anyway. Pretty much every 3DS game, barring a few, just hasn't pushed for anything new or fresh. Kid Icarus, Animal Crossing, and Dream looked good, but there is no way I'm paying $80 for Kid Icarus (Nintendo hates lefties), I don't have the time for Animal Crossing, and Dream Team still just gives me that 'more of the same' vibe. Between managing enough money for two Wii U games for who knows how long, a college class, just having nothing 'WOW!' me recently, two horrible hardware releases, and what to me was the ruining of my favorite Nintendo franchise, I'm pretty stressed.

@kkslider5552000: The only opinion that is stupid is the one you cannot back.

@8BitSamurai: Nice to know I'm not the only one, but for me it took two glorified tech demos and Fire Emblem: Awakening, and for more reasons than just the DLC.

@KittenKoder: My aren't you sporting some snazzy red-tinted lenses.

KittenKoder wrote:

To your FE:A comment, yeah, nope. FE:A is an excellent example of how it should be done, for DLC. The game is awesome all around, but the DLC for it is perfect, you keep the game balance, get a bunch of optional maps and regalia, as well as optional units you can recruit. The story is complete without any DLC, and there are some extended stories available in the free DLC stuff.

a) $2 is too much for one map, one cameo character that is literally just a My Unit model, and game breaking gifts

b) Like Infinite Free Super Weapons, Easy Money, Easy EXP, and superior skills aren't game breaking? The game is already easily broken, I've done it without and the DLC just breaks it even more.

KittenKoder wrote:

"I like DLC options, and that's why I cannot endorse any games from Sony or Microsoft, they not only have many games that require paid DLC, they also have crappy games."

c) Play local multiplayer Halo with your friends, then play Wii Party, the winner is clear here. Also, play Shadow of the Colossus and then think about what you just said.

KittenKoder wrote:

Fire Emblem: Awakening .... pure awesome, literally, nothing wrong with this game at all, a rare occasion for me say that about any game, ever.

d) I must be delusional, because I see plenty of problems with the game, not including DLC.

Story: Bad, even by Fire Emblem standards, not meaning Fire Emblem games have bad stories, but they have their problems.
Eye-rollingly Convenient Plot Twists: case and point Chapter 23
One Trait Characters: barring a few mains, who still don't exactly show deep characterization
Pointless Story Arcs: tell me the whole Walhart thing wasn't just filler, let alone the "random enemy encounter" scenario that makes up far too many chapters

Gameplay: I personally hated the gameplay, but its understandable for new fans to like it. Still it has plenty of flaws. Reclassing completely broke the system. Every character can achieve infinite growth and eventually they all feel like almost the same unit, with no distinct strengths/weaknesses except for based on their skills. Having good skills creates the need for grinding, so you need the grinding DLC, or you spend hours Reeking Box Grinding. Put simply, hundreds of Reeking Box fights is not a fun way to pass the time.

Graphics: Very pretty, but they could have at least not used the exact same model for the body of reclassed units, or at least change the textures.

(Need to sleep again, I'll keep working.)

Edited on by SomeBitTripFan

Just Someloggery
You have the right to disagree with me and the ability to consider anything valid that I say; Please exercise both.

Nintendo Network ID: SomeBitTripFan

kkslider5552000

SomeBitTripFan wrote:

@kkslider5552000: The only opinion that is stupid is the one you cannot back.

I feel like "overdone hyperbole" is all I need to say. All the Fire Emblem example does is add how insulting it is, both to the devs and to anyone's intelligence who knows anything about how game development actually works. Any potentially valid points (cliched and a bit extreme, but not entirely without merit) is immediately thrown away when I know you haven't a clue what you are talking about (factually) and pretend otherwise. I at least admit I am not the biggest expert on personally playing all of these titles (even if I've read about more 3DS game opinions than any system since like the mid-GCN days or something, partially out of curiosity).

Though the other reason for my annoyance is that I'm kinda done with people entirely dismissing gaming systems that have a variety of games people like. Similar reasons why I hate when some gamers will only play like 2 genres 95+% of the time.

Edited on by kkslider5552000

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

SomeBitTripFan

@kkslider5552000: Apparently, I've given off the image I hate the entirety of DLC. I don't, but the asking price on Awakening's DLC is, at least to me, too high. Here are my thoughts. The game sells for $40 and has turned up profitable with about one million sales according to vgchartz. That $40 got me forty-nine maps, forty-four classes, the game engine, enemy models, and boatloads of other stuff in the game, on a physical cartridge, with a case, some glossy paper, and the chance to redeem points that will lead up to a free game.. To me, even if I think the gameplay itself isn't fun, it was at least a good value. I've played the game for 76 hours, and for me, that was more than enough time to judge the inner workings of the game, which I found unimpressive in comparison to previous entries. However, I am unable to judge a large portion of the game because, for me, I'm not willing to spend $53, from what I remember being the cheapest price you can pay, for 25 maps, a few new character models, a few skills, and whatever else is included. From my memory, the cheapest you can pay for a piece of DLC is $2, and that is when you buy a pack of three, totaling to $6. Still, $2 for a map, a quickly thrown together character model, and maybe a skill or something. In comparison to the $40 I paid for a standalone, complete product, $2 for that small portion seems rather high. In other words the DLC didn't cost the developers any amount of money near that of the game itself. The content ratio for one piece of DLC to the game would be 1:40, and that's being generous. Yet the price ratio of the DLC to the game is 1:20. Put simply, the value of the DLC is half the value of the game at their current prices. What would be a decent price to me? If the DLC ranged between $1 to $1.50, I would probably be more willing. I'm not even a fan of Angry Birds, but I'd rather spend a dollar on it than the DLC, the value is better. To be fair though, the cost to make that DLC was probably more than it cost to make Angry Birds, especially considering how much Rovio makes off of other merchandise, ads in the free versions, and the total sales of Angry Birds. Still, as a consumer, I would likely be more drawn to Angry Birds in this case. That's beside the point though, at a cheaper price, the value of the DLC would be higher in the consumers eyes and they would be more likely to purchase it. All I'm asking out of DLC is a good content to price ratio. I don't want to bankrupt a company, but there a boundaries as to how high they can push the price before I begin to feel cheated. And as I said, resisting buying the DLC is a pain. I want my game to feel complete and I want to give a full evaluation, but at the current prices, I can't make myself buy it. And to respond to the "overdone hyperbole", I'm pretty sure I make note of it already in a response to Canis. When I don't like something I don't like, I usually bash it more than it deserves, depends on the subject though. Just to do so, I'll break down the melodrama of that post into something a bit more reasonable and continue this discussion on those terms.

Just Someloggery
You have the right to disagree with me and the ability to consider anything valid that I say; Please exercise both.

Nintendo Network ID: SomeBitTripFan

Wheeler

Guess they hated for region lock, is uncool, and kids games, I suppose?

Wheeler

CaviarMeths

Blastoise-san wrote:

I don't mean to change the subject but have any of you guys been seeing how Beyond: Two Souls is getting mixed reviews from everywhere? IGN, GameInformer, Destructoid, and others are saying the game isn't good but other reviewers are praising it???

It's divisive because most reviewers, praising or panning the game, agree that it's not so much a game as it is an interactive movie. If you read user reviews, many zero in on the fact that the gameplay itself is atrocious. Positive reviews say the game is "unique" and the story is "emotionally engaging." Negative reviews say "there's no game here" and that the story is "bloated and pretentious."

So Anakin kneels before Monster Mash and pledges his loyalty to the graveyard smash.

OdnetninAges

There's a guy at my school who is a n00b. It's obvious that he doesn't pay attention to ANY Nintendo news. He didn't know Paper Mario: Sticker Star even existed until 3 months after e3 2011. He also didn't know that the Wii U's online was more like Xbox Live and PSN, even after I told him a million times, and after the console launched, he said "Yeah, I hope it does." The other day, he said that the 3DS only has "like, 2 good games on it." He's only played Ocarina of Time 3D, and doesn't even know Kid Icarus: Uprising, Fire Emblem Awakening, Mario & Luigi: Dream Team, Project X Zone and Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon even exist. He's never gone on the eShop, except to download The Legend of Zelda: Four Swords Adventures Anniversary Edition.

He is the only person I know that is like that.

Everyone else I know loves the 3DS, and all the games I mentioned.

Console Usernames: Rc

HIGH QUALITY VIDEO GAME RIPS

"The world is not beautiful, therefore it is."

My Anime List

Nintendo Network ID: Ages97

Obtuse

CM30 wrote:

Over here in the UK it seems to be being ignored more than anything. Haven't seen anyone going around saying how much they hate it.

That is hate here in the UK. Unless it supposedly involves immigration or a Daily Mail headline then things don't get loved or viciously hated (the two main emotions of the people here seemingly). Also the UK peopole mostly do as they are told by media so the 3DS gets ignored like the WiiU here. The British people have little to no clue unless they are online

Obtuse

3DS Friend Code: 2638-0232-4374 | Twitter:

CM30

That's rather unfair to be honest. Lots of things are outright hated here, like most politicians and bankers...

And people ignoring it mainly comes from how Nintendo UK seems to spent no money on advertising, and shoves what little they do have on kids channels like the Disney Channel and Nickelodeon instead of on channels mainstream viewers watch.

Try out Gaming Reinvented, my new gaming forum and website!
Also, if you're a Wario series fan, check out Wario Forums today! Your only place for Wario series discussion!
My 3DS Friend Code: 4983-5165-4...

Twitter:

RabidPikachu

The 3DS isn't bad at all but the bigger question is why we need a 2DS with buttons all over the place and no 3D?

3DS Friend code 4425-2142-6328

RR529

RabidPikachu wrote:

The 3DS isn't bad at all but the bigger question is why we need a 2DS with buttons all over the place and no 3D?

Because it'll sell like hot cakes to kids. We got to remember, it's not a device for us gamers.

It'll appeal to parents because of it's low price, no 3D (there are lots of parents who worry about it's safety), and sturdy build (from hands on impressions, it's built like a brick, so kids won't break it).

As for the button placement, from what I've read of hands on impressions, they're surprisingly comfortable.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

KittenKoder

Obtuse wrote:

CM30 wrote:

Over here in the UK it seems to be being ignored more than anything. Haven't seen anyone going around saying how much they hate it.

That is hate here in the UK. Unless it supposedly involves immigration or a Daily Mail headline then things don't get loved or viciously hated (the two main emotions of the people here seemingly). Also the UK peopole mostly do as they are told by media so the 3DS gets ignored like the WiiU here. The British people have little to no clue unless they are online

Ignoring something is not really hating on it, and I do wish that it was, trust me. But it's not. It's more likely the people who ignore such things are just afraid to give something new a chance, or they're too busy playing redundant games that are all cookie cutter versions of each other to notice the real gems. Many hardcore gamers, often Sony fankids, actually .... [gasp] like the 3DS after they play it. I know, a bit of a shock, take a breath. Most people who find reasons to hate it, do so because they don't like the changes.

Personally, I don't like the decrease in physical copies to try to push for more digital copy sales, I think that's a mistake Nintendo is making. But, I am a Nintendo fangirl, 100% loyal to the company, so even if they made the stupid decision MS wants to make, science forbid it, i will still ... reluctantly ... buy their systems. Because I love the variety of Nintendo's lineup. However, if you ask my opinion about Playstation of XBox, I ... hate them. Not because the systems suck, they don't suck, or because the companies are idiots, MS is an idiot but Sony is actually not bad, but because ... I just don't like the game selection.

I think that's why people ignore the 3DS on large, they just haven't actually looked at the game. With the variety available we'd be hardpressed to find anyone who truly hates the system, save those making lame excuses, that has actually played it or even looked into the games on it. Wise man once said "it's better to keep your mouth shut and have people think you are a fool, than to open it and remove all doubt." Silence is golden, don't mind them, at least they are not making up "forced DLC with game breaking content" excuses.

Friend list is full, I will be clearing room for Bravely Default soon though. Colors! 3D Gallery, My Blog
NNID: KittenKoder ..... what else would it be?

3DS Friend Code: 3497-0224-3414 | Nintendo Network ID: KittenKoder | Twitter:

KittenKoder

SomeBitTripFan wrote:

@kkslider5552000: Apparently, I've given off the image I hate the entirety of DLC. I don't, but the asking price on Awakening's DLC is, at least to me, too high.....

Not a gamer, are you? Casual gamer, perhaps? Maybe a "this will pass the time" gamer? In World of Warcraft people will pay over 100 USD for one item ... an item, an item they can get in the game if they worked hard at it. Seriously. It's the same thing, but for FE:A ... it's 1 to 2% of that cost for such items, and you can get more than one with that purchase. But here's the thing, how is $2 too much? Really, what in the real world can you buy that's $2 which will last you more than 5 minutes?

Friend list is full, I will be clearing room for Bravely Default soon though. Colors! 3D Gallery, My Blog

CaviarMeths

KittenKoder wrote:

But here's the thing, how is $2 too much? Really, what in the real world can you buy that's $2 which will last you more than 5 minutes?

A toothbrush.

So Anakin kneels before Monster Mash and pledges his loyalty to the graveyard smash.

KittenKoder

CaviarMeths wrote:

KittenKoder wrote:

But here's the thing, how is $2 too much? Really, what in the real world can you buy that's $2 which will last you more than 5 minutes?

A toothbrush.

Touche .... though .... do you enjoy playing with the toothbrush?

unrandomsam

Annoys me how awful DS games look on my 3DS XL and that there is so much 30fps junk without the effort put in to give the option to kill the 3D for a proper framerate. (Like Dead or Alive Dimensions does)

“30fps Is Not a Good Artistic Decision, It's a Failure”
Freedom of the press is for those who happen to own one.

unrandomsam

Exactly double the pixels at least vertically (Not bothered about the size just the fuzziness). Not enough 3DS games I actually want as of yet. (I should just get a DSi XL and play my DS games on that instead).

“30fps Is Not a Good Artistic Decision, It's a Failure”
Freedom of the press is for those who happen to own one.

KryptoniteKrunch

Eh, the 3DS doesn't much hate at all nowadays. But from the small group of people I have seen bash it, are mostly fanboys of another brand and are obviously too stubborn to acknowledge that the 3DS has a lot of stellar games. There are also people that hate/dislike the 3DS simply because they ignore pretty much 90% of the library...

KryptoniteKrunch

Nintendo Network ID: KryptoniteKrunch

TheLilK98

unrandomsam wrote:

Exactly double the pixels at least vertically (Not bothered about the size just the fuzziness). Not enough 3DS games I actually want as of yet. (I should just get a DSi XL and play my DS games on that instead).

Heh...heh heh heh...Ahahaha....AHA-Good luck with that.

My intro by Dark-Luigi
My Backloggery

3DS Friend Code: 3308-4665-8309 | Nintendo Network ID: TheLilK98 | Twitter:

HappyHappyist

Silly Rabbit! Nintendo is for kids!
that pretty much sums up why people hate it. of course, it's also clouded judgement and

the other day, i had a discussion with a peer of mine in school about gaming, and he said to me, "so i know you have a Vita, should i get one? does it have good games?" i said in reply, "well, although i do like my vita, i much prefer my 3DS. the Vita has a... decent library, nothing amazing, but the 3DS is pretty awesome. if you want a good time, get a 3DS." and he said, "What, are you serious?" and went on to further insult it via homophobic means. keep in mind that he's 13 years old, i'm 14.
Please don't say those sorts of things here, not even in example — TBD

Edited on by theblackdragon

i am part of a social group interested in uniting the world by painting it blue.
Blue blue.

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.