Forums

Topic: Super Smash Bros 3DS discussion thread

Posts 3,341 to 3,360 of 5,084

Adam

UGXwolf wrote:

Press X on the stage select screen to select the FD form of Battlefield and it'll be item-free.

Ah! Thanks. I did this in my first game and noticed items weren't dropping but forgot about it after. Didn't realize the connection.

That said, I found the most fun way to play with bots is 4P free-for-all with items since they aren't very exciting to duel with.

Come on, friends,
To the bear arcades again.

LzWinky

@Adam: It took me a while to adjust to the controls. It didn't help that I was playing Guacamelee, which had a different button set up

Current games: Everything on Switch

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

CapeSmash

The controls are okay. It's just awkward trying to do tilts and smash attacks.

Smash Mains:
N64: Captain Falcon
Melee: Mario
Brawl: Sonic
Project M: Link
Smash 3DS: Captain Falcon
Smash Wii U: Ganondorf

R_Champ

TeeJay wrote:

Kewlan wrote:

I gotta say, the demo is kinda ruined for me because of the controls. I can't play more than a few matches without my thumb hurting and being so not used to the controls. They should have AT LEAST included the options.

How the heck are you playing that your thumb hurts like that I don't understand

Do you have giant monster hands and have to play using the middle joint of your thumb or something?

I always wonder the opposite for people who claim the 3DS controls work at all for a fighting game--everyone must have baby girl hands. Seriously the controls for the game atrocious IMO. Don't get me wrong, everything else about the game checks out (ULTRA lame you can only play 5 characters in the demo though) and I am just as excited as ever to buy this game...on the WiiU Seriously, the demo easily affirmed my original stance on the 3DS version being insanely inferior based solely on controls. I'll ABSOLUTELY be passing it up and waiting for the REAL Smash Bros. to release in November.

Nintendo & Steam ID: R_Champ

TeeJay

R_Champ wrote:

TeeJay wrote:

Kewlan wrote:

I gotta say, the demo is kinda ruined for me because of the controls. I can't play more than a few matches without my thumb hurting and being so not used to the controls. They should have AT LEAST included the options.

Do you have giant monster hands and have to play using the middle joint of your thumb or something?

I always wonder the opposite for people who claim the 3DS controls work at all for a fighting game--everyone must have baby girl hands. Seriously the controls for the game atrocious IMO. Don't get me wrong, everything else about the game checks out (ULTRA lame you can only play 5 characters in the demo though) and I am just as excited as ever to buy this game...on the WiiU Seriously, the demo easily affirmed my original stance on the 3DS version being insanely inferior based solely on controls. I'll ABSOLUTELY be passing it up and waiting for the REAL Smash Bros. to release in November.

Eye twitch

That's well...your opinion...

I think the controls are great. Even if I did hate some aspect of them, I could easily just adjust the control settings.

If you add me, I need to at least know you or I won't add you back.

Switch Friend Code: SW-5283-4033-0929 | 3DS Friend Code: 2423-1923-3519 | Nintendo Network ID: TeeJay92

Araquanid

Has anybody tried it with the controller grip?

Untitled

Assuming they make these for all models..

Edited on by Araquanid

3DS FC: 0774-5098-1425
Pokemon Sun IGN: Joe
My Shinies
(User name changed in November 2016, MegaBeedrill)

3DS Friend Code: 0774-5098-1425 | Nintendo Network ID: FreakyMantis17 | Twitter:

TeeJay

Stomatopod17 wrote:

Has anybody tried it with the controller grip?

Untitled

Assuming they make these for all models..

I can't remember the last time I've seen one of THOSE in a store, and I don't recall ever seeing any for the XL model at all, which is the model mostly used nowadays.

If you add me, I need to at least know you or I won't add you back.

Switch Friend Code: SW-5283-4033-0929 | 3DS Friend Code: 2423-1923-3519 | Nintendo Network ID: TeeJay92

Ralizah

R_Champ wrote:

TeeJay wrote:

Kewlan wrote:

This IS a real Smash Bros. It's obviously not going to be as comfortable as playing with a Gamecube controller, but the controls really are quite functional on the 3DS (although it took a day or two to really adjust, I'll admit). And I have giant hands.

Obviously you just don't grok the controls, much like I could never adjust to Kid Icarus: Uprising's controls, even though many people swear by them. On another note, this is another reason I think Nintendo should release more demos if games on its systems.

Currently Playing: Advance Wars 1 + 2: Re- Boot Camp (NS)

LzWinky

R_Champ wrote:

TeeJay wrote:

Kewlan wrote:

But the REAL Smash Bros comes out in October

Current games: Everything on Switch

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

Sargon

I have never played a Smash Bros game before and I just downloaded the demo.

Can anyone explain what the hell I'm supposed to be doing??? I can't figure out the controls or even the objective of the game. I'm just pressing a bunch of buttons and I keep falling off the edge and come in last every game. Meanwhile, as much as I hit the CPU players, they never fall off the edge. I must be missing something.

Can anyone give the cliff notes explanation of how to play this game?

Sargon

Araquanid

Sargon wrote:

Can anyone explain what the hell I'm supposed to be doing??? I can't figure out the controls or even the objective of the game. I'm just pressing a bunch of buttons and I keep falling off the edge and come in last every game. Meanwhile, as much as I hit the CPU players, they never fall off the edge. I must be missing something.

You have to constantly keep hitting them. As their % rises, you can hit them with a very strong attack sending them flying across the screen. (There is alot of different attacks depending on which direction you press/hold the control stick and whether your pressing A or B..

3DS FC: 0774-5098-1425
Pokemon Sun IGN: Joe
My Shinies
(User name changed in November 2016, MegaBeedrill)

3DS Friend Code: 0774-5098-1425 | Nintendo Network ID: FreakyMantis17 | Twitter:

UGXwolf

Sargon wrote:

Open up the demo, wait on the title screen for a little bit, and a video will playing explaining enough of the game for you to figure the rest out, yourself.

A nifty calendar (Updated 9/13/15)
The UGXloggery ... really needs an update.

19Robb92

Been playing the demo for a while now. I'm not really feeling the controls. I'm think I'll re-purpose some buttons in the final game. But other than that it's really nice. It's a bit constricted though, would have been nice with more than one stage.

I also found MegaMan surprisingly hard to play as. He has a very distinct move-set.

Looking forward to: No More Heroes: Travis Strikes Again

3DS Friend Code: 3007-8070-6318 | Nintendo Network ID: 19Robb92

CapeSmash

19Robb92 wrote:

I also found MegaMan surprisingly hard to play as. He has a very distinct move-set.

I'm sick of people saying this about Mega Man.

Neutral attack - Shoots pellets
Side tilt - Shoots pellets
Down tilt - Slide move
Up tilt - Mega Upper

Side smash - Charge shot
Up smash - Spark shot
Down smash - Flame blast

Neutral air - Shoots pellets
Forward air - Flame sword
Back air - Slash claw
Down air - Hard knuckle

B - Metal Blade
Side B - Crash Bomber
Down B - Leaf shield
Up B - Rush coil

I just memorized every single one of Mega Man's moves off the top of my head. He isn't confusing or hard to use. In fact, when I first got the demo I chose Mega Man and he felt and played like any other character. I don't get what people are talking about when they say he's weird/hard to play...

P.S I hope that moveset list makes it easier to play as him for you.

Edited on by CapeSmash

Smash Mains:

Eel

You learned to use character that others find complicated! I'm sure that will make it easier for others too. /sarcasm

Anyway, MegaMan does play in a special style, most of his normal attacks are ranged and feel more like "special attacks", that's a first for the series. It's natural for people to perceive him as new and different.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

CapeSmash

Morphbug wrote:

You learned to use character that others find complicated! I'm sure that will make it easier for others too.

Anyway, MegaMan does play in a special style, most of his normal attacks are ranged and feel more like "special attacks", that's a first for the series. It's natural for people to perceive him as new and different.

Come to think of it... I probably knew what I was doing with Mega Man because I had his moveset memorized since last year, plus I had a Brawl mod that allowed me to play as Smash 4 Mega Man. It also doesn't help that I'm a competitive Smasher...

Edited on by CapeSmash

Smash Mains:

19Robb92

SockoMario wrote:

Not really, but thanks anyway.

Memorizing the moves aren't really the problem. I think it has more to do with the kind of moves he has. Most are very distinct compared to other characters. Like the leaf shield for example. It's hard to figure out when to use some of his moves to make the best out of him, IMO.

Looking forward to: No More Heroes: Travis Strikes Again

3DS Friend Code: 3007-8070-6318 | Nintendo Network ID: 19Robb92

CapeSmash

19Robb92 wrote:

SockoMario wrote:

Not really, but thanks anyway.

Memorizing the moves aren't really the problem. I think it has more to do with the kind of moves he has. Most are very distinct compared to other characters. Like the leaf shield for example. It's hard to figure out when to use some of his moves to make the best out of him, IMO.

I haven't found a use for the leaf shield yet. It's just..."there".

Oh, and when people say Mega Man is hard to play, I assume they're talking about how he has "too many moves", so that's why I listed his moveset.

Edited on by CapeSmash

Smash Mains:

FriedSquid

I've said before that Mega Man is very unique and takes a bit of a learning curve to use him effectively. He is not really the best for combos and close-range combat and doesn't fair well against projectile-reflecting characters. Other than that he is pretty good, and has a good aerial moveset.

One thing I'm impressed by is how he feels like he does in his original games. Maybe it's just his retro-styled animations but when I play as him it almost feels like I'm playing an original Mega Man game.

Sav'aaq!
A Miiverse admin's first day on the job.
"Samus is under fire! She's sent an emergency directive! Join the fight!"
My Squidloggery

3DS Friend Code: 2320-6168-7289 | Nintendo Network ID: captainsquid

CapeSmash

Squid wrote:

I've said before that Mega Man is very unique and takes a bit of a learning curve to use him effectively. He is not really the best for combos and close-range combat and doesn't fair well against projectile-reflecting characters. Other than that he is pretty good, and has a good aerial moveset.

One thing I'm impressed by is how he feels like he does in his original games. Maybe it's just his retro-styled animations but when I play as him it almost feels like I'm playing an original Mega Man game.

Smash Mains:

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.