Forums

Topic: Super Smash Bros 3DS discussion thread

Posts 2,401 to 2,420 of 5,084

Gridatttack

Kewlan wrote:

Remember that the leaks could be true, but also edited.
For example, the leaker did indeed have the game, but he edited in Duck Hunt Dog or Bowser Junior for example.
I want that to be the case, but I think the whole leak is true... Marshal...

Jr. is in the game definitely. The leaked footage cant be faked. The reveal of shulk says otherwise (the leaked video played matched the moves of shulk on what it was shown)

But yes, thats another possibility that the DHD and others was edited. After all MASTERLKINKX (one of the leakers IIRC) admitted to have edited a leaked image so it would seem false and stop spreading the leak (Image in question is the one that said disablad instead of disabled)

Edited on by Gridatttack

New Super Mario Bros. Deluxe, a remake of Super Mario Bros 1 and The Lost Levels for NSMBDS.
new 3DS: 0276-2211-7514

3DS Friend Code: 0276-2211-7514 | Nintendo Network ID: Gridatttack

TuVictus

But Shulks image matches the official artwork either way? I mean like it or not, most of the leak is already confirmed to be real. The only things I skeptical about still are the leakers assertion of the locked characters. And Gematsu leak wasn't even false. Chrom is in the game, and the decision to put lucina in instead of him was made later on. I think chorus men are pretty likely to show up in some form. Even as a trophy if anything. And bowser Jr. Was not faked. People swore up and down that Shulk was (somehow) hacked from Brawl (I would have LOVED to meet the person who could mix up multiple characters moved while also adding in their own graphics for a hack) and he ended up being 100% real, even down to the explanation of his arts lowering his defense or offense. Bowser Jr is certainly real. There's just no way to fake it. His moves are all unique, so you can't even make the accusation that he's just a hack, which would be bs anyway.

Duck hunt dog, I can understand skepticism, at least, but not any of the video characters

TuVictus

CapeSmash

We'll see if this DHD theory is right in about 2 weeks.

Oh, take a look at this.

Melee:
Retro character: Ice Climbers
Oddball retro character: Mr. Game & Watch

Brawl:
Retro character: Pit
Oddball retro character: R.O.B

SSB4:

Retro character: Mega Man(?) and Pac-Man(?)
Oddball retro character: Duck Hunt Dog

It all makes sense...

Smash Mains:
N64: Captain Falcon
Melee: Mario
Brawl: Sonic
Project M: Link
Smash 3DS: Captain Falcon
Smash Wii U: Ganondorf

DreamyViridi

Eh, let's just wait until the game's released in Japan.
All this talk about the leak does is take away any hype I have.

Once a LuigiMan, now a Dreamy representation of the Goddess of Nature.
Retired Palutena Gem Provider.
Mario Maker Levels

Switch Friend Code: SW-6593-3528-8788 | 3DS Friend Code: 0688-5405-0932 | Nintendo Network ID: LuigiMan200

UGXwolf

SockoMario wrote:

We'll see if this DHD theory is right in about 2 weeks.

Oh, take a look at this.

Melee:
Retro character: Ice Climbers
Oddball retro character: Mr. Game & Watch

Brawl:
Retro character: Pit
Oddball retro character: R.O.B

SSB4:

Retro character: Mega Man(?) and Pac-Man(?)
Oddball retro character: Duck Hunt Dog

It all makes sense...

This pattern is mismatched. A character comes out of the blue, so they're automatically strange? What makes Ice Climbers normal? I would argue that Ice Climber and Pac-man have a similarity in being arcade characters, but where's the arcade love in Brawl, then? Besides, patterns are unreliable as Sakurai has a habit of breaking them. The only reliable thing about this is that Duck Hunt would fit Sakurai's meta of being unpredictable. And we could just assume that it's easier to pull a WTF character out of retro games because they've often been forgotten by now, in which case, I resubmit Mini-Kangaroo as a character idea.

A nifty calendar (Updated 9/13/15)
The UGXloggery ... really needs an update.

Jazzer94

Serious question here I always thought people were most hyped to actually play the game i.e. day 0, does the leak really effect this?

PSN: mangaJman
SSBB FC: 1204-1132-2888
My YouTube
The Jazzloggery
Once you see you can never unsee

3DS Friend Code: 5155-3100-6367 | Nintendo Network ID: Justinius94

SparkOfSpirit

Jazzer94 wrote:

Serious question here I always thought people were most hyped to actually play the game i.e. day 0, does the leak really effect this?

It doesn't affect me. I'm still eager to play it.

“A thing may be too sad to be believed or too wicked to be believed or too good to be believed; but it cannot be too absurd to be believed in this planet of frogs and elephants, of crocodiles and cuttle-fish.”
― G.K. Chesterton

TuVictus

I doubt more than just a few people see the leak and get unexcited. Still just as hyped if not more so

TuVictus

UGXwolf

Jazzer94 wrote:

Oh, boy... That's a subject I'm not sure I have the resources, knowledge, and intelligence to properly tackle. @__@;;

To put it as simply as I can without stepping on any toes, different people play games for different reasons. Oftentimes the same games. Some of us, myself included, Are really big into the surprise factor while others are more into execution and performance, also like myself. Not everyone shares both of these interests, however. Taking the surprise factor out of the game takes a lot of the game's strongest assets out of the picture, and can very much kill the hype for someone who was just excited to see what would happen.

While that's a VERY minimalist explanation, I hope it's enough to get the point across, cause even I'm not sure I wanna write a post long enough to properly explain the psychology behind gaming and why the surprise factor is so important to a game like Smash. Suffice it to say that if an element is important to the developer, it will inevitably become important to the audience. I do feel Smash 4 loses a lot of its charm without the element of surprise, but then I have other reasons I want to play.

While I doubt many people will outright refuse to buy the game because the roster has been spoiled, that general giddiness that some of us experience at seeing newcomers will be greatly diminished if we know it's coming. For instance, a lot of people talk about unlocking Mewtwo or unlocking Wolf for the first time and how it caught them by surprise and they were so shocked to see those characters in the game. I didn't experience this same shock because I knew they were there and I knew how to unlock them. I actually found Melee to be very boring for this reason. Once I'd unlocked all characters and stages, there was little else for me to do, and with no one to play with, I just completely lost interest. Brawl had a fix to this problem, being a ton of unlocks beyond characters and stages, but I'm hoping Smash 4's online is enough to keep me playing for months or even years.

CapeSmash

Back when I first got Brawl, and had fun with it; I wanted to know how to unlock the other characters and stages. I didn't want to blindly unlock everything, because that would be a pain and would take forever.

This leak actually has me a little more hyped for the game. I don't understand why the leak killed hype for people just because some of the unannounced fighters were shown. You're going to know who all of them are in a few weeks, and even if you do try to avoid it until October, you're still going to know who the fighters are. It's pretty impossible to avoid spoilers for this type of game.

Also, are some of you people seriously try and unlock all the characters blindly without looking it up? Some of the fighters are pretty cryptic to unlock, so good luck!

Edited on by CapeSmash

Smash Mains:
N64: Captain Falcon
Melee: Mario
Brawl: Sonic
Project M: Link
Smash 3DS: Captain Falcon
Smash Wii U: Ganondorf

RR529

SockoMario wrote:

Also, are some of you people seriously try and unlock all the characters blindly without looking it up? Some of the fighters are pretty cryptic to unlock, so good luck!

I don't know how it'll work here, but in Brawl, there were multiple ways to unlock characters.

In fact, you could unlock everyone by doing nothing more than standard VS matches. I think the "hardest" character to unlock in this manner only became available after like 500 or 800 matches, but still, that's just more time consuming than it is hard or confusing.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

Jazzer94

UGXwolf wrote:

Jazzer94 wrote:

Oh, boy... That's a subject I'm not sure I have the resources, knowledge, and intelligence to properly tackle. @__@;;

To put it as simply as I can without stepping on any toes, different people play games for different reasons. Oftentimes the same games. Some of us, myself included, Are really big into the surprise factor while others are more into execution and performance, also like myself. Not everyone shares both of these interests, however. Taking the surprise factor out of the game takes a lot of the game's strongest assets out of the picture, and can very much kill the hype for someone who was just excited to see what would happen.

While that's a VERY minimalist explanation, I hope it's enough to get the point across, cause even I'm not sure I wanna write a post long enough to properly explain the psychology behind gaming and why the surprise factor is so important to a game like Smash. Suffice it to say that if an element is important to the developer, it will inevitably become important to the audience. I do feel Smash 4 loses a lot of its charm without the element of surprise, but then I have other reasons I want to play.

While I doubt many people will outright refuse to buy the game because the roster has been spoiled, that general giddiness that some of us experience at seeing newcomers will be greatly diminished if we know it's coming. For instance, a lot of people talk about unlocking Mewtwo or unlocking Wolf for the first time and how it caught them by surprise and they were so shocked to see those characters in the game. I didn't experience this same shock because I knew they were there and I knew how to unlock them. I actually found Melee to be very boring for this reason. Once I'd unlocked all characters and stages, there was little else for me to do, and with no one to play with, I just completely lost interest. Brawl had a fix to this problem, being a ton of unlocks beyond characters and stages, but I'm hoping Smash 4's online is enough to keep me playing for months or even years.

Okay this was an interesting take on things especially the end which is what I'm going to mostly focus on. I don't think secrets are really that important for smash, for me the excitement has always been found playing smash with others and not so much getting excited about trophy and song unlocks (though I still enjoy those greatly), when I refer to the day zero feeling I'm talking about that feeling of actually working out how everything reacts with each that for me is where the excitement mostly comes from and the experimentation with others. I can still remember the day I got Brawl as I had just comeback from a 2 week school trip that very day (a Friday IIRC),, six of my friends actual stayed round my house that weekend an we literally played the game constantly trying all the stages, items and characters (as they appeared) for me that is why I'm excited from smash and why a leak doesn't really change my excitement. I think if surprise is one of the things that matters most when it comes to Smash for someone they probably needed to have avoided the internet for the last 3 years as the whole roster has slowly been spoiled by Nintendo themselves since day one.

PSN: mangaJman
SSBB FC: 1204-1132-2888
My YouTube
The Jazzloggery
Once you see you can never unsee

3DS Friend Code: 5155-3100-6367 | Nintendo Network ID: Justinius94

TeeJay

I personally don't care about knowing all the secrets of Smash games before I play. I don't play Smash for the surprise factor. I play just to play. I find the actual gameplay of each individual battle is a different and highly entertaining experience every time and that's what I play it for. If anything, unlocking everyone is an inconvenience. I just want to play...

Now for a different game, say, a Phoenix Wright game which is heavy on story and plot twists, then yes I would rather know as little about the game and story as possible so I can have the full effect of every plot turn and surprise development. Those are my views.

Edited on by TeeJay

If you add me, I need to at least know you or I won't add you back.

Switch Friend Code: SW-5283-4033-0929 | 3DS Friend Code: 2423-1923-3519 | Nintendo Network ID: TeeJay92

Kewlan

Now that's how you do a commercial!

ಠ_ಠ
Waiting for ShadowforSSB4 to take me up to the heavens.

Favorite Game List:
1#: Lufia 2
2#: Terraria
3#: Team Fortress 2

3DS Friend Code: 3153-4099-8763 | Nintendo Network ID: Kewlan

UGXwolf

@Jazzer94 I'm going to post this video to hopefully save myself a lot of time and carpel tunnel trying to type it all out:

To put it shortly, I thrive on gaming types A and C. Since I had no one to play Melee with, playing with others wasn't a draw for me, and same goes for Brawl. I'm hoping for Smash 4's online to be worthwhile, cause it's my only hope at fulfilling that social interaction, but until then, the challenges, unlocks, surprises, and progress are going to keep me occupied. Even if you argue that we would've known the whole roster by then, there's still this steady drip of information that would've kept us satisfied until launch. Characters likely wouldn't been known all at once, especially with people playing blind, there's no telling how long it'll take to unlock the whole roster. We probably won't get it all at once, but a few chunks at a time, by the end of which, the game will be close enough for it to not matter, anymore.

@RR529 Wolf is the hardest character to unlock. The three ways to unlock him are by going back to The Ruins after beating Subspace Emissary and finding his hidden door, completing Boss Mode on Hard with either Fox or Falco (why would you do this? Option one is easier and you naturally run into it trying to unlock Boss Mode.) Or you could just play 450 VS. matches.

@SockoMario Considering all characters could be unlock within 450 VS. Matches or by trying to completely Subspace Emissary, going Blind into Brawl wasn't really so detrimental to your sanity. On the other hand, didn't Game & Watch require like 1000 VS. Matches or something, if you were gonna do it that way? Or you could just clear Classic Mode with all 24 other characters... Or was it Break the Targets? I forget, now.

TeeJay

You also unlock Toon Link by beating Subspace and then going back to a specific stage and entering a door.

If you add me, I need to at least know you or I won't add you back.

Switch Friend Code: SW-5283-4033-0929 | 3DS Friend Code: 2423-1923-3519 | Nintendo Network ID: TeeJay92

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.