Forums

Topic: Super Mario!

Posts 681 to 700 of 863

BlueC

Yay I got it today, 2 days early. Already beaten the first 8 worlds..

Hallo :)

Kid_A

warioswoods wrote:

My only complaint so far is the overabundance of tanooki tails. Not on the enemies--that's cute and all--but as power-ups. You can pretty much be a perpetual tanooki with ease, as they hand out another leaf around every corner.

What I'm finding (note: only finished 2 worlds) is that I greatly prefer the platforming and controls without a tanooki suit. Everything feels quicker and requires more precision. Drifting on your jumps just makes you start to feel lazy, and reduces the effect of great level design.

It's like the cape in Super Mario World. Yes, you could fly through every level, but why would you? What I like about this game, I'm finding, is that the levels urge you to experiment with different powerups and strategies; which is to say, just because the game offers you a powerup doesn't mean you should take it.

Blog: http://www.sequencebreaking.blogspot.com
3DS Friend Code: 2277-7231-5687
Now Playing: Animal Crossing: New Leaf

pntjr

Adam wrote:

Leaves become scarcer as the game goes on. Or at least you'll be losing it more often so that it seems you can't get enough tanooki.

WHAA? TANOOKI IS GETTING SCARCE? I NEED MAIH DAILY DOSE OF TANOOKI! NOOOO!!!!!!

3DS: 4596-9579-9606
The BackLoggery of Zelda!
Wii: 5236-6857-3124-9818
PSN: pntjr

3DS Friend Code: 4596-9579-9606 | Nintendo Network ID: pntjrx | Twitter:

warioswoods

Kid_A wrote:

which is to say, just because the game offers you a powerup doesn't mean you should take it.

I have a hard time saying "no" :-/

Twitter is a good place to throw your nonsense.
Wii FC: 8378 9716 1696 8633 || "How can mushrooms give you extra life? Get the green ones." -

RYBlast

Once you get to the Special World, everything gets about 3x cooler.

RYBlast

3DS Friend Code: 0044-2803-1972 | Nintendo Network ID: LittleEgyptian | Twitter:

TeeJay

Its-Mii-Will wrote:

Just 100%'d the game a little while ago. I need to play some of those levels again.

Link977 wrote:

After getting ever-so-pissed-off at the final level, I finally beat it and now have 5 stars by my profile

How did you get 5? I only have 4. :/

You obviously haven't 100%ed it. You have to gold flag every level, and go through every level as BOTH Mario and Luigi. You can tell what you've gold flagged and who you've completed the level as on the bottom right corner of the top screen.

Edited on by TeeJay

If you add me, I need to at least know you or I won't add you back.

Switch Friend Code: SW-5283-4033-0929 | 3DS Friend Code: 2423-1923-3519 | Nintendo Network ID: TeeJay92

Adam

Oh, so you do need to gold flag every level? I've done that most of them already for the fun of it. I like the attention Nintendo has given to the task of reaching the top of the flagpole in this and NSMBW. It becomes a sort of optional mini-game waiting at the end of every level to see if you can reach it.

And to come back to an old topic, I've come around to the level select. I was disappointed we weren't getting either a hub or a map when it was first revealed, but I think it is appropriate. The game has a lot to do in each short level, and when I'm only turning on the system to play for a few minutes, I like the speediness the level select has. It's not like the worlds have much of a theme to them for a map or hub anyway. Also, if I just have a few minutes and want a specific level, it is much easier to find it with the 3D model / portrait of each level. I hope the next NSMB game retains the map but has such an image pop up when you are standing on a level dot.

Edited on by Adam

Come on, friends,
To the bear arcades again.

Ernest_The_Crab

@wariowoods Well you do need to remember that you actually have to complete a level to keep the power ups you received from it. Previous mario games would allow you to exit mid level (providing you beat it already) and keep the power ups you got from the level. 3D Land actually requires you to beat the level to keep the goods.

My Backlog | http://www.backloggery.com/thesolarknight

Friend Safari: Espurr, Munna, Duosion

3DS Friend Code: 3909-7515-3526 | Nintendo Network ID: ThePillowGolem

IAmNotWill

Dark_TeeJay wrote:

Its-Mii-Will wrote:

Just 100%'d the game a little while ago. I need to play some of those levels again.

Link977 wrote:

After getting ever-so-pissed-off at the final level, I finally beat it and now have 5 stars by my profile

How did you get 5? I only have 4. :/

You obviously haven't 100%ed it. You have to gold flag every level, and go through every level as BOTH Mario and Luigi. You can tell what you've gold flagged and who you've completed the level as on the bottom right corner of the top screen.

What? That's lame. I don't see how completing a level with golden flags and completing each level with both brothers is a challenge that is worth a star.

But whatever, I'll do it anyway at some point cause I really like this game. I'm still calling it a 100% completion, though.

Edited on by IAmNotWill

Why can't Metroid crawl?
My Backloggery | Helpful Tips for Formatting Messages | NintendoLife Chat

3DS Friend Code: 0001-3392-4205 | Nintendo Network ID: willfuture

Kid_A

Dear god--all golden flags and beat all levels with both characters? I'm not sure if that's going to be worth it.

Who am I kidding? I know I'm going to do it. Why do I fight it?

Blog: http://www.sequencebreaking.blogspot.com
3DS Friend Code: 2277-7231-5687
Now Playing: Animal Crossing: New Leaf

Adam

Once you have beaten the game with all the star coins, you'll be surprised how fast it is to play through the game as Luigi ignoring the star coins. Most levels take less than a minute. As for the golden flag, always have a leaf in reserve. Many golden flags seem to require the leaf. Either that or I suck at getting golden flags.

And the game is fun to replay anyway, even so soon after beating it the first time. I'm told the reward for fulfilling all these conditions is more than just an extra profile star, too...

Come on, friends,

Tare

The first desert level made me think back to that huge Mario 64 level.

This game is great, I'm on world 4 now.

Thaaaaaanks for noticin' me.

grumblebuzzz

Kid_A wrote:

Dear god--all golden flags and beat all levels with both characters? I'm not sure if that's going to be worth it.

Who am I kidding? I know I'm going to do it. Why do I fight it?

I think this will probably be the first 3D Mario game since Mario 64 that I want total completion on. It's that good.

When I close my eyes, I see pixilated blood.

Adam

282 Marios died to bring me five sparkly stars.

Teejay, I challenge you to beat the final super secret level with Luigi and no power-up. It doesn't seem humanly possible. I may just have terrible depth perception, but I would never in a million years be able to do the majority of those jumps without flutter jump and the statue drop to make sure I land without skidding off.

Come on, friends,

grumblebuzzz

Is there any indicator on the map screen as to which levels you've completed as Luigi? I've looked all over the place for an L icon or something like that and haven't seen anything.

Adam

Once you beat the final Special World level, the game will show you a small M or L next to where the gold flag indicator is to show if you've beaten the level with Mario or Luigi or both.

Come on, friends,

grumblebuzzz

Awesome. Thanks, Adam. I had wondered how I was supposed to keep track of that on my own.

TeeJay

Adam wrote:

282 Marios died to bring me five sparkly stars.

Teejay, I challenge you to beat the final super secret level with Luigi and no power-up. It doesn't seem humanly possible. I may just have terrible depth perception, but I would never in a million years be able to do the majority of those jumps without flutter jump and the statue drop to make sure I land without skidding off.

I've actually tried doing this before seeing your post. I died like a good 20 times before I reached the bosses. I beat them, then stupidly died in the following area.I'm going to have to try it again.

If you add me, I need to at least know you or I won't add you back.

Switch Friend Code: SW-5283-4033-0929 | 3DS Friend Code: 2423-1923-3519 | Nintendo Network ID: TeeJay92

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.