Forums

Topic: Super Mario!

Posts 661 to 680 of 863

Adam

Meta-Rift wrote:

Kid_A wrote:

I'm just getting started on the "open" levels, but so far I actually think I prefer the more old-school, linear levels.

I don't think the enclosed levels are any more linear or old-school than the open ones. The retro 2D games have their fair share of both kinds, and Super Mario 3D Land is never non-linear.

Yea, I think you must have been misunderstood. Most of the open, unenclosed levels are linear and old school. I'm thinking particularly of levels where you're conveyed on a moving platform, which is taken right out of the Book of Mario 3. The air ship levels, too, are unenclosed and usually have forced scrolling, which I am glad to see back.

Edited on by Adam

Come on, friends,
To the bear arcades again.

Blaze

Just got my copy today! I've played up the the fourth world and it's really fun, so far one of my favourite Mario games!

Just to everyone in the UK, I implore you to pre order your games from www.shopto.net. I got Cave Story 3D 2 days before UK release, and SM3DL 2 days before release! I always ordered from Amazon before, but they usually come on the day and it's about £3 more to get the games from Amazon. I'm really happy that this happened though, because it means my pre order of SM3DL from shopto allows me to play through it, before my Pre order of Skyward Sword from Amazon UK arrives on the 18th!

The Blazeloggery~
Mah Animelist~

3DS Friend Code: 4914-4746-2130 | Nintendo Network ID: MiracleBlaze

lord_hades

how long does amazon UK usally take to post games im from the Northwest of england and super mario 3D land got shipped out today its already been through postal sorting

Edited on by lord_hades

i am hades true leader of the underworld. i must bid you ado

warioswoods

My only complaint so far is the overabundance of tanooki tails. Not on the enemies--that's cute and all--but as power-ups. You can pretty much be a perpetual tanooki with ease, as they hand out another leaf around every corner.

What I'm finding (note: only finished 2 worlds) is that I greatly prefer the platforming and controls without a tanooki suit. Everything feels quicker and requires more precision. Drifting on your jumps just makes you start to feel lazy, and reduces the effect of great level design.

Twitter is a good place to throw your nonsense.
Wii FC: 8378 9716 1696 8633 || "How can mushrooms give you extra life? Get the green ones." -

LordTendoboy

warioswoods wrote:

My only complaint so far is the overabundance of tanooki tails. Not on the enemies--that's cute and all--but as power-ups. You can pretty much be a perpetual tanooki with ease, as they hand out another leaf around every corner.

What I'm finding (note: only finished 2 worlds) is that I greatly prefer the platforming and controls without a tanooki suit. Everything feels quicker and requires more precision. Drifting on your jumps just makes you start to feel lazy, and reduces the effect of great level design.

That's how SMB3 was though. Using the Raccoon power to fly and float everywhere made the game extremely easy to beat. And the P-Wing was game-breaking.

3DS Friend Code (NEW) 4597-0176-3500
Minis March Again (NEW) 2323-0441-2739
Mini-Land Mayhem (NEW) 5071-8232-0670
Wii Friend Code 5519-8046-0668-6068
Smash Bros. Brawl 1893-2412-4594
[...

warioswoods

@tendoboy

In theory, yes, but the game didn't throw them at you like this one does. You'd inevitably spend most of your time without a tail in that game; here, you can pretty much keep one at all times if you wish. (And P-Wing was just a freebie to let you skip a hard level, like the gold leaf; not really part of the game for me, more of a weird skip feature).

Wii FC: 8378 9716 1696 8633 || "How can mushrooms give you extra life? Get the green ones." -

TeeJay

And yet somehow they're made the P-Wing lazier by not even leaving it up to the player to get to the end of the level.

Edited on by TeeJay

If you add me, I need to at least know you or I won't add you back.

Switch Friend Code: SW-5283-4033-0929 | 3DS Friend Code: 2423-1923-3519 | Nintendo Network ID: TeeJay92

LordTendoboy

Dark_TeeJay wrote:

And yet somehow they're made the P-Wing lazier by not even leaving it up tp the player to get to the end of the level.

Are you talking about in 3D Land or SMB3? What do you mean?

3DS Friend Code (NEW) 4597-0176-3500
Minis March Again (NEW) 2323-0441-2739
Mini-Land Mayhem (NEW) 5071-8232-0670
Wii Friend Code 5519-8046-0668-6068
Smash Bros. Brawl 1893-2412-4594
[...

TeeJay

tendoboy1984 wrote:

Dark_TeeJay wrote:

And yet somehow they're made the P-Wing lazier by not even leaving it up tp the player to get to the end of the level.

I'm talking about 3DLand in comparison to SMB3. At least you still had to fly to the end of the level yourself in SMB3.

If you add me, I need to at least know you or I won't add you back.

Switch Friend Code: SW-5283-4033-0929 | 3DS Friend Code: 2423-1923-3519 | Nintendo Network ID: TeeJay92

Adam

Leaves become scarcer as the game goes on. Or at least you'll be losing it more often so that it seems you can't get enough tanooki.

I didn't find it hard to find a leaf in SMB3, or a feather or carrot in other games. Most levels had them. It would either be that or a fire flower and you can generally count on at least two power-up blocks in most stages. This is nothing new.

The main difference is the ability to get a power-up through red coins in 3D Land, but at least there you have to earn it, and the red coin challenges are a nice little diversion.

Edited on by Adam

Come on, friends,

warioswoods

@Adam

I might be wrong, but I'd venture a guess that the majority of levels in SMW didn't have capes available in them at all. As for SMB3 versus SM3DL (acronym overload!), my main problem is that save-an-item box that has annoyed me in all its recent NSMB appearances. I always have something waiting there, which is a tanooki 90% of the time right now. I never get to see small mario, which is a shame because that's the most enjoyable mode of all (dangerous, quick, tiny!).

If only they'd start you out small after you lost a life, and without the item box in the picture at all...

Edited on by warioswoods

Adam

You are only on world 3 of a 16 world game. Either you're much better than I am, or you're jumping the gun. There will be many times down the road, I suspect, when you do not have anything waiting for you in that item box, and soon thereafter you will meet your small Mario... and soon thereafter that, his maker. And I don't mean Miyamoto.

But I do agree on one point, when you die, you should totally come back as small Mario. Though if they did that, I would probably think that later worlds have too few power-ups, as many levels later in the game disregard the ancient rule that a power-up should be placed close to the start of a level.

As for SMW, green switch palace makes it so that feathers are all over the place, and all ordinary power-up boxes yield either fire flower or cape. And you have to figure in Top Secret, too, when talking SMW power-up access. I'll have to replay SMW and SMB3 out of curiosity now, after I 100% this one. I seem to remember power-ups being generally distributed much the same way as in this game, minus the red coin challenges, and again I find most later levels are even less forthcoming with their power-ups than traditional Mario games.

Edited on by Adam

Come on, friends,

warioswoods

@Adam

Sounds good. As I said when bringing it up, it's my "only complaint so far". I'm sure later developments will change my appraisal in many ways.

Adam

Oh yes. I found the first couple worlds ho-hum, myself. It wasn't till much later in the game that I became doe-eyed.

Come on, friends,

Meta-Rift

Dark_TeeJay wrote:

tendoboy1984 wrote:

Dark_TeeJay wrote:

I'm talking about 3DLand in comparison to SMB3. At least you still had to fly to the end of the level yourself in SMB3.

All the power-ups from SMB3 have been switched around.

SMB3 version / SM3DL version
Raccoon Suit / Tanooki Suit
Tanooki Suit / Tanooki with Scarf
P-Wing / Invincible Tanooki
Lakitu Cloud / P-Wing

Meta-Rift

Adam

Kuribo's shoe /

Come on, friends,

Meta-Rift

Adam wrote:

Kuribo's shoe /

I like to think of it this way:

Kuribo's Shoe + Propeller Suit = Propeller Block

It's kind of like a reversed Kuribo's Shoe.

Meta-Rift

lord_hades

yo listen how long does amazon uk take to dirler things it say get it by release date but im not sure wen it will come

i am hades true leader of the underworld. i must bid you ado

warioswoods

Meta-Rift wrote:

It's kind of like a reversed Kuribo's Shoe.

Kuribo's hat.

But we all know giant shoes are better.

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.