Forums

Topic: Super Mario!

Posts 641 to 660 of 863

y2josh

I didn't know that, I thought people were making numbers up off the top of their head.

y2josh

Meta-Rift

TokyoRed wrote:

You are definitely right about the water and underground levels as they are very thought provoking and very catchy. The Underground Beaver level was really good too!

Personally, I like the "open" levels better. Something about small segments of terrain surrounded on all sides by a dropoff is appealing to me, I guess. (The best example I can think of is W3-4.) But overall, I'm amazed by the amount of brilliant and diverse level design that went into this. That's the biggest similarity with SMB3. I think my favorite levels are the ones that get creative with linearity, like when you have to climb to the top of something, or when the path has lots of twists and turns instead of going in a straight line.

Meta-Rift

Corbs

My death count after beating Bowser was 6.

Plain old gamer :)

Adam

I prefer what you call the "open" levels, too, which is a big part of why I like the secret worlds so much more, most of those are open. 3D Mario has always had these kinds of levels, but never so many of them.

Come on, friends,
To the bear arcades again.

Kid_A

I'm just getting started on the "open" levels, but so far I actually think I prefer the more old-school, linear levels. They're more fun for speed-running, easier to play in short bursts, and they are ultimately what sets this game apart from the other 3D Mario game. I found the synthesis of 2D and 3D platforming to be the real magic here.

Blog: http://www.sequencebreaking.blogspot.com
3DS Friend Code: 2277-7231-5687
Now Playing: Animal Crossing: New Leaf

LittleKing

Kid_A wrote:

I'm just getting started on the "open" levels, but so far I actually think I prefer the more old-school, linear levels. They're more fun for speed-running, easier to play in short bursts, and they are ultimately what sets this game apart from the other 3D Mario game. I found the synthesis of 2D and 3D platforming to be the real magic here.

I have to agree. It's 3D Land's hybrid gameplay that makes it so appealing, and addictive. It gives the game its own unique feel and charm.

LittleKing

Yrreiht

Retro_on_theGo wrote:

Anyone else squeal when they got the second medal in the Zelda level? I know it was Zelda themed, but I wasn't expecting the little jingle to show up.

I know i did
I really love this game XD

Revenge is better with chili sauce... everything is better with chili sauce.

3DS Friend Code: 5069-4008-9404 | Nintendo Network ID: Tynerds37

LittleKing

Retro_on_theGo wrote:

Anyone else squeal when they got the second medal in the Zelda level? I know it was Zelda themed, but I wasn't expecting the little jingle to show up.

I loved that whole level. I didn't squeal at any point though. xD

LittleKing

grumblebuzzz

Corbs wrote:

6?? Wow. Somebody's a Mario master. I'm at like 175 right now in Special World 5. Hah. I suck. But in my defense I have every star coin and gold flag up till now and over 400 lives to spare.

When I close my eyes, I see pixilated blood.

Meta-Rift

Kid_A wrote:

I'm just getting started on the "open" levels, but so far I actually think I prefer the more old-school, linear levels.

I don't think the enclosed levels are any more linear or old-school than the open ones. The retro 2D games have their fair share of both kinds, and Super Mario 3D Land is never non-linear.

Meta-Rift

grumblebuzzz

I like both styles of levels because they cater to nostalgia for both types of games. The linear levels are representative of the Super Mario Bros games and the open ones feel Mario 64-ish to me. There's really not been a single thing I have disliked about the game at all so far really. It's all equally brilliant in my eyes.

Kid_A

grumblebuzzz wrote:

Corbs wrote:

6?? Wow. Somebody's a Mario master. I'm at like 175 right now in Special World 5. Hah. I suck. But in my defense I have every star coin and gold flag up till now and over 400 lives to spare.

I'm really excited by the fact that I'm this far into the game and I have no idea what a gold flag is. There is so much more content here than I was expecting!

Blog: http://www.sequencebreaking.blogspot.com
3DS Friend Code: 2277-7231-5687
Now Playing: Animal Crossing: New Leaf

Moco_Loco

The flags turn gold when you land at the very top. It is pretty cool, because there are a few levels I haven't been able to achieve that on yet, so I will keep trying. I still need to beat Bowser since I've been so focused on getting all the star coins and I'm not the best gamer in the world.

Speaking of Bowser, what's the easter egg sitting on top of his castle in the background as you're running toward it? You only see it while you're running betweem the castle and the level before it so I haven't been able to stop and see if it's Bowser, Jr. or something else. Anyone know?

Moco Loco
If you find yourself spiritually drifting (as I was for far too many years), remember that Jesus can and will walk across the water to reach you and bring you back to shore.

Ernest_The_Crab

@Kid_A I think grumblebuzzz meant getting the 1up from the top of the flag pole at the end of each level. Generally with the tanooki suit it's pretty easy to do.

Most of my deaths seem to have come around the last level of world 8 (normal world). Speaking which, Bowser should really think about making his own theme park. It would be an interesting story for the next Mario game.

My Backlog | http://www.backloggery.com/thesolarknight

Friend Safari: Espurr, Munna, Duosion

3DS Friend Code: 3909-7515-3526 | Nintendo Network ID: ThePillowGolem

grumblebuzzz

Yep. The game keeps track of those flagpole-topping course finishes and they go toward total completion. If you scroll through the level map, you'll see that levels you've done that in will have a little gold flag icon show up.

TeeJay

TheSolarKnight wrote:

@Kid_A I think grumblebuzzz meant getting the 1up from the top of the flag pole at the end of each level. Generally with the tanooki suit it's pretty easy to do.

Most of my deaths seem to have come around the last level of world 8 (normal world). Speaking which, Bowser should really think about making his own theme park. It would be an interesting story for the next Mario game.

A villian making a theme park? That's a total ripoff of Sonic Colors.

If you add me, I need to at least know you or I won't add you back.

Switch Friend Code: SW-5283-4033-0929 | 3DS Friend Code: 2423-1923-3519 | Nintendo Network ID: TeeJay92

Link977

After getting ever-so-pissed-off at the final level, I finally beat it and now have 5 stars by my profile

Formerly PurpleLink, RedLink & OrdonianLink
Getting a Gold Mushroom on Rainbow Road is just asking to lose!
Backloggery
Question of the Day

3DS Friend Code: 5412-9901-0836 | Nintendo Network ID: Link977

grumblegrumble

tendoboy1984 wrote:

TokyoRed wrote:

You are definitely right about the water and underground levels as they are very thought provoking and very catchy. The Underground Beaver level was really good too!

They're Monty Moles. nerd alert!

I'm on Special World 5-Castle now. The game is very fun, but it's also much easier than I expected. Maybe all those years of playing Mario games as a kid brushed up my skills, or maybe the game really is that easy, I purposefully used the White (invincible) Tanooki Suit in a few levels so I could rush through them.

EDIT: Does anyone think Super Mario 3D Land's graphics look like a PSP game? I know it's not the best representation of the 3DS's power, but Nintendo could have polished the textures a bit more.

Monty Moles?! Oh, well, EXCUSE ME!!! LOL j/k. They are so cute, tho. I hated beating up on them. And the underwater snakes and fish. I kinda felt bad after blasting em with fireballs lol What did they do to hurt us? LOL Runs away from PETA protestors

3DS Friend Code: 4511-0578-9918 (User name: Grumble) If u add me let me know so I can add you back ;) Current Favorites: NSMB 2, CrossWords Plus, Art Academy: Lessons For Everyone, Donkey Kong, Mario Golf, Balloon Pop Remix, Precipice, Digidrive, Art of Balance: Touch, Speed X3D, R...

-DL-

Wow, how does everyone have so many lives? Is there a glitch or something? I have 151, but I barely try to go after them because they are really generous with them.

Me on the internet: Twitter - YouTube - Soundcloud

Funny internet signature on Nintendo Life Dot Com

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.