3DS Forum

Topic: So,....3DS or PS3

Showing 1 to 20 of 78

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Revanmann

1. Posted:

yeah this probably isn't the best place to post this but then again iv'e met some pretty resonable good people here,and it's been awhile since ive logged on but,... so i'm contemplating weather to get a 3DS or a PS3. Now i've been a Nintendo and Sony man all my life- Playstation Super Nintendo, PS2, GameBoy Advance, DS, PSP. ive been wanting a PS3 for quite some time and now that the PS4 is announced ( I dont like it so far and i hate microsoft) it will go down even farther in price and all the best games that i can't get on my PC because of drm and ps3 exclusives are all GOTY versions and cheap. But on the other hand ive loved the concept and actuality of the 3DS since the beginning and now it seems to have a lot going for it plus its cheap now and it has great games too like monster hunter 3 ultimate, metal gear solid snake eater 3d, super mario 3d land, castlevania lords of shadow mirror of fate, luigis mansion, etc... so i wont be getting either one till fall but i would like some input sorry for the long post and thanks.

Currently Playing:
Super Mario 3D Land-3DS
Poke'mon Y-3DS
Call of Duty: Ghosts-PS3
Minecraft-Pc-PS3
Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots-PS3
Most favorite video game of all time: Super Metroid
Favorite Quote- "There are brave men at our door,...Let's go kill them!" Tyrion Lannister

AuthorMessage
Avatar

rayword45

2. Posted:

This is the worst comparison in the world.

I'd say the PS3, but then again you could just wait a year and it'll be cheap thanks to the PS4.
The 3DS is growing much faster then the PS3 though, and will grow for at least a few years longer.

This is a signature.
Link goes here now.
Screw you.

AuthorMessage
Avatar

MAB

3. Posted:

Just buy a VITA It's like a PS3/3DS... The only drawback is it has no games or support ;)

MAB

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Morpheel

4. Posted:

Both have 3 and S in their names. Seems like a fair comparison.

Oops, no username pun.

Oh look! A Morphloggery.
Oh! eShop Gurus.

3DS Friend Code: 0173-1330-0080 | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Jaz007

5. Posted:

I own both and have to say PS3. PS3 is my favorite console and has truly amazing games on it (including the best of the best) and is still coming out with them. I don't think the 3DS will ever surpass the PS3.

Currently playing: Torchlight 2 , Rune Factory 4, Dust: An Elysian Trail, Castlevania: Symphony of the Night and Uncharted 3.

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Tasuki

6. Posted:

Well I would say 3DS cause you have the added bonus of playing on the go as well as at home.

Pushsquare moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

Nintendo Network ID: Tasuki311

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Ralizah

7. Posted:

A PS3 bundle is around the price of a Vita now. I don't really see the price going much lower, to be honest.

As for the question...

Do you want a system you can take anywhere or a system that is tied to a single place but reproduces extraordinary visuals?

Do you like glasses-free 3D?

One important factor: the PS3 is about to be replaced, and, although it will still have new releases from time to time a few years after the PS4 is released, but you see now is pretty much the bulk of the software library. The 3DS was released in 2011 and so still has a lot of life in it, and it is anyone's guess what kind of games will be releasing on it over the next several years. The PS3 has enough good games on it to last many years, but it will soon be an effectively dead console.

There is also the backwards compatibility issue: the 3DS can play virtually any game released on the original DS, whereas the PS3 can only, to my knowledge, play PS3 and PS1 games (unless you're one of those lucky people who snagged a PS3 with the ability to play PS2 games as well years back).

Ultimately, though, if you really have no preference as to whether your console is from Sony or Nintendo, I would have to say that the deciding factor is this: are you more comfortable doing the bulk of your gaming on a console or on a handheld?

Edited on by Ralizah

Friend Code: 3351-4294-3552
NNID: Michael418
PSN: Ralizah

AuthorMessage
Avatar

IAmNotWill

8. Posted:

I don't know. I have both and love both of them.

Why can't Metroid crawl?
My Backloggery | Helpful Tips for Formatting Messages | NintendoLife Chat
Formerly WhoKnew, Its-Mii-Will
PSN ID: willfuture

3DS Friend Code: 0001-3392-4205 | Nintendo Network ID: willfuture

AuthorMessage
Avatar

SCAR392

9. Posted:

I would say 3DS. I have a PS3, and that thing is a bluray and media center for me only, especially since I got a Wii U for gaming.
I literally powered on my PS3 just today to try the Injustice demo and I can tell that thing runs slower than Wii U even with a console life worth of updates, plus it's still getting updates for no apparent reason. You can tell it upconverts everything to 1080p and the colors are more dull compared to Wii U IMO.
If anything, I'd say get a Wii U over a PS3 if your going console. That just barely came out and Nintendo will be supporting it for years to come.
3DS is pretty awesome with tons of games now. Game Gear, Game Boy(Color), NES, eShop exclusives, retail downloads, it does crossplay with Wii U on Monster Hunter and will for Smash Bros, the 3D is just as good as a $1500 TV with out glasses, but in a lower resolution and on a smaller screen, touch screen for apps and games, a 3D camera(not the best quality. it's like .8mp), gyro sensor, AR...
There's alot of reasons to own a 3DS over any handheld console, and PS3 isn't really a good trade of, because it's 7 years old and will lose support sooner. 3DS uses SD cards which can hold any form of data for your console except DSi.
I would say get either of the newest Nintendo consoles. I just don't like PS that much for what I think are good reasons. PS Vita used alot of features 3DS has to a lesser extent.

Edited on by SCAR392

$¢@®³’²

AuthorMessage
Avatar

k8sMum

10. Posted:

sony tends to support consoles after new ones come out much longer than nintendo does. i also have both and love them. as others have said, it depends on what games you want and how/where you want to play them.

'Omnes Qui Errant Non Pereunt' Tolkien
'God is a kid with an antfarm.' "Constantine"
3ds friend code: 0860 3849 6133
Caitlin's Memorial Site

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Ralizah

11. Posted:

SCAR392 wrote:

I literally powered on my PS3 just today to try the Injustice demo and I can tell that thing runs slower than Wii U even with a console life worth of updates, plus it's still getting updates for no apparent reason. You can tell it upconverts everything to 1080p and the colors are more dull compared to Wii U

It's a seven-year-old console. Something would be very wrong if the Wii U wasn't more powerful than a seven-year-old console.

Besides, there is precious little out to play for Wii U right now. I think he wants a system he can jump right into with great games.

Edited on by Ralizah

Friend Code: 3351-4294-3552
NNID: Michael418
PSN: Ralizah

AuthorMessage
Avatar

SCAR392

12. Posted:

Ralizah wrote:

SCAR392 wrote:

I literally powered on my PS3 just today to try the Injustice demo and I can tell that thing runs slower than Wii U even with a console life worth of updates, plus it's still getting updates for no apparent reason. You can tell it upconverts everything to 1080p and the colors are more dull compared to Wii U

It's a seven-year-old console. Something would be very wrong if the Wii U wasn't more powerful than a seven-year-old console.

Besides, there is precious little out to play for Wii U right now. I think he wants a system he can jump right into with great games.

At least you understand Wii U is more powerful tech. Wii U has games. It has some the most recent ones out for last gen consoles before everyone just moves on.
I think Tekken, COD, and Sonic play better on Wii U thanks to the GamePad. Plus, there's always Wii backwards support.
You'd be getting a whole other library of games from last gen including VC, Wii Ware, and new games that will come out throughout the lifetime of the console.
PS3 can't even play PS2 games if you get a slim.

$¢@®³’²

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Zodiak13

13. Posted:

I really want to comment objectivly but I will disclaimer this. I hate Sony. That said I still own all their systems. PS3 seems to have the best versions of the games that are cross console. I have anjoyed a few RPG title's Ni NO Kuni, Demon/Dark Souls. I do not play FPS or action/adventure games usually, but I will say Uncharted is actually a really good series in my opinion. I prefer my gaming on the go, my wife loathes video games, and I like to play them when I "go to the store". The 3ds has lots of great RPG's and some fun platforming. I really enjoy the e-shop games that are available. The PSN does not do it for me, but I own all but 6 PS1/PS2 RPG's so the classic section on their site is useless to me. That said the Playsation Plus subscription has some fun free games for PS3/PSP/PSV, and cross play is nice. Nintendo's games just always seem more fun overall. Proud of myself for not going into hate Sony mode, lol.

Edited on by Zodiak13

Gotta catch them... eh, nevermind.

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Ralizah

14. Posted:

SCAR392 wrote:

Ralizah wrote:

SCAR392 wrote:

I literally powered on my PS3 just today to try the Injustice demo and I can tell that thing runs slower than Wii U even with a console life worth of updates, plus it's still getting updates for no apparent reason. You can tell it upconverts everything to 1080p and the colors are more dull compared to Wii U

It's a seven-year-old console. Something would be very wrong if the Wii U wasn't more powerful than a seven-year-old console.

Besides, there is precious little out to play for Wii U right now. I think he wants a system he can jump right into with great games.

At least you understand Wii U is more powerful tech. Wii U has games. It has some the most recent ones out for last gen consoles before everyone just moves on.
I think Tekken, COD, and Sonic play better on Wii U thanks to the GamePad. Plus, there's always Wii backwards support.
You'd be getting a whole other library of games from last gen including VC, Wii Ware, and new games that will come out throughout the lifetime of the console.
PS3 can't even play PS2 games if you get a slim.

Overall, it is more powerful, although the CPU is weaker in the Wii U, I believe.
Nevertheless, it shouldn't be a point of pride that the Wii U is more powerful than the PS3. It should be expected.
The PS4 will probably leave Wii U in the dust specs-wise.

Either way, the Wii U, as you've pointed out, only has VC/Wiiware type stuff on it, whereas the PS3 is full of great and affordably priced retail games.

If Nintendo doesn't get its act together soon, I might just opt for a PS4 over a Wii U.

Zodiak13 wrote:

I really want to comment objectivly but I will disclaimer this. I hate Sony. That said I still own all their systems. PS3 seems to have the best versions of the games that are cross console. I have anjoyed a few RPG title's Ni NO Kuni, Demon/Dark Souls. I do not play FPS or action/adventure games usually, but I will say Uncharted is actually a really good series in my opinion. I prefer my gaming on the go, my wife loathes video games, and I like to play them when I "go to the store". The 3ds has lots of great RPG's and some fun platforming. I really enjoy the e-shop games that are available. The PSN does not do it for me, but I own all but 6 PS1/PS2 RPG's so the classic section on their site is useless to me. That said the Playsation Plus subscription has some fun free games for PS3/PSP/PSV, and cross play is nice. Nintendo's games just always seem more fun overall. Proud of myself for not going into hate Sony mode, lol.

To be fair, PS3 has the worst version of Skyrim.

Edited on by Ralizah

Friend Code: 3351-4294-3552
NNID: Michael418
PSN: Ralizah

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Zodiak13

15. Posted:

Thought it was terrible waste of time as a game period. Skyrim that is. Now that I got out my objective comment for the day, I can say other things. PS4 offers more power/graphics, so what. They have a terrible online network and by far the worst customer service in the industry. I went through 7 PS2's, on my 4th PS3 (newest slim this time) and they have never followed through with a warranty. Even more amazing is the fact that I have barely played my PS3 at all, bought day 1 also. I have not once had a Nintendo system go bad on me, and I've owned all of them except NES day1, I was like 5 or 6 then. So Sony will have another system that play's almost the same games as the Nextbox will, and has mostly mediocre 1st party games. But then again I think the games that most find amazing, God of War/LittleBigPlanet/Infamous, simple crap that always feels like more of the same. At least when I play Mario games which admitidly also are more of the same, at least it reminds of when gaming was actually fun, not just about graphics and my prestige level. Maybe its just me worrying over nothing, but I hope Nintendo sticks around, because the place where gaming is going mainstream seems terribly derivative.

Gotta catch them... eh, nevermind.

AuthorMessage
Avatar

terribledeli

16. Posted:

Odd comparison, but PS3.

Based on your own statement, it sounds like you sorta have your heart set on a PS3. And the 3DS won't be going anywhere any time soon.

terribledeli

3DS Friend Code: 0645-5771-9850 | Nintendo Network ID: terribledeli

AuthorMessage
Avatar

SCAR392

17. Posted:

Ralizah wrote:

SCAR392 wrote:

Ralizah wrote:

SCAR392 wrote:

I literally powered on my PS3 just today to try the Injustice demo and I can tell that thing runs slower than Wii U even with a console life worth of updates, plus it's still getting updates for no apparent reason. You can tell it upconverts everything to 1080p and the colors are more dull compared to Wii U

It's a seven-year-old console. Something would be very wrong if the Wii U wasn't more powerful than a seven-year-old console.

Besides, there is precious little out to play for Wii U right now. I think he wants a system he can jump right into with great games.

At least you understand Wii U is more powerful tech. Wii U has games. It has some the most recent ones out for last gen consoles before everyone just moves on.
I think Tekken, COD, and Sonic play better on Wii U thanks to the GamePad. Plus, there's always Wii backwards support.
You'd be getting a whole other library of games from last gen including VC, Wii Ware, and new games that will come out throughout the lifetime of the console.
PS3 can't even play PS2 games if you get a slim.

Overall, it is more powerful, although the CPU is weaker in the Wii U, I believe.
Nevertheless, it shouldn't be a point of pride that the Wii U is more powerful than the PS3. It should be expected.
The PS4 will probably leave Wii U in the dust specs-wise.

Either way, the Wii U, as you've pointed out, only has VC/Wiiware type stuff on it, whereas the PS3 is full of great and affordably priced retail games.

If Nintendo doesn't get its act together soon, I might just opt for a PS4 over a Wii U.

Zodiak13 wrote:

I really want to comment objectivly but I will disclaimer this. I hate Sony. That said I still own all their systems. PS3 seems to have the best versions of the games that are cross console. I have anjoyed a few RPG title's Ni NO Kuni, Demon/Dark Souls. I do not play FPS or action/adventure games usually, but I will say Uncharted is actually a really good series in my opinion. I prefer my gaming on the go, my wife loathes video games, and I like to play them when I "go to the store". The 3ds has lots of great RPG's and some fun platforming. I really enjoy the e-shop games that are available. The PSN does not do it for me, but I own all but 6 PS1/PS2 RPG's so the classic section on their site is useless to me. That said the Playsation Plus subscription has some fun free games for PS3/PSP/PSV, and cross play is nice. Nintendo's games just always seem more fun overall. Proud of myself for not going into hate Sony mode, lol.

To be fair, PS3 has the worst version of Skyrim.

The Wii U has a weaker CPU, but not by much, and it has a GPU which literally parallels computations beyond what PS3 can do. That can double a CPU's efficiency. The CPU comes up with things for GPU to compute while it still computes things by itself. I'm thinking they have to lower the clock speed for it to work customly, but it overall is better. If the Wii U was any stronger, it woukd basically be a PS4, if you think in incremental improvement.
The Wii U has downloadable games, too.
I know it's hard to understand, but Wii U will pick up.
We are literally talking about how PS3 beats Wii U in games it had 7 years to obtain, that isn't even a relevant discussion with a new console.
Why would it be a point of pride to say Wii U is better? The exact same thing I am debating with you is the exact same argument, except it's from PS3 to Wii U, vs. Wii U to PS4.
Gaikai may not even stream PS3 and PS3 hasn't supported BC for more 2 years more than Wii.

$¢@®³’²

AuthorMessage
Avatar

scrubbyscum999

18. Posted:

3DS, you can wait for the PS3 to have its price go down further plus the 3DS is this gen that will be getting games for a long time. Then again, I still feel the PS3 is too expensive considering how old it is.

3DS Friend Code: 4081-5661-0445
Steam:scrubbyscum999

3DS Friend Code: 4081-5661-0445 | Twitter: @scrubbyscum999

AuthorMessage
Avatar

terribledeli

19. Posted:

SCAR392 wrote:

Ralizah wrote:

SCAR392 wrote:

Ralizah wrote:

SCAR392 wrote:

I literally powered on my PS3 just today to try the Injustice demo and I can tell that thing runs slower than Wii U even with a console life worth of updates, plus it's still getting updates for no apparent reason. You can tell it upconverts everything to 1080p and the colors are more dull compared to Wii U

It's a seven-year-old console. Something would be very wrong if the Wii U wasn't more powerful than a seven-year-old console.

Besides, there is precious little out to play for Wii U right now. I think he wants a system he can jump right into with great games.

At least you understand Wii U is more powerful tech. Wii U has games. It has some the most recent ones out for last gen consoles before everyone just moves on.
I think Tekken, COD, and Sonic play better on Wii U thanks to the GamePad. Plus, there's always Wii backwards support.
You'd be getting a whole other library of games from last gen including VC, Wii Ware, and new games that will come out throughout the lifetime of the console.
PS3 can't even play PS2 games if you get a slim.

Overall, it is more powerful, although the CPU is weaker in the Wii U, I believe.
Nevertheless, it shouldn't be a point of pride that the Wii U is more powerful than the PS3. It should be expected.
The PS4 will probably leave Wii U in the dust specs-wise.

Either way, the Wii U, as you've pointed out, only has VC/Wiiware type stuff on it, whereas the PS3 is full of great and affordably priced retail games.

If Nintendo doesn't get its act together soon, I might just opt for a PS4 over a Wii U.

Zodiak13 wrote:

I really want to comment objectivly but I will disclaimer this. I hate Sony. That said I still own all their systems. PS3 seems to have the best versions of the games that are cross console. I have anjoyed a few RPG title's Ni NO Kuni, Demon/Dark Souls. I do not play FPS or action/adventure games usually, but I will say Uncharted is actually a really good series in my opinion. I prefer my gaming on the go, my wife loathes video games, and I like to play them when I "go to the store". The 3ds has lots of great RPG's and some fun platforming. I really enjoy the e-shop games that are available. The PSN does not do it for me, but I own all but 6 PS1/PS2 RPG's so the classic section on their site is useless to me. That said the Playsation Plus subscription has some fun free games for PS3/PSP/PSV, and cross play is nice. Nintendo's games just always seem more fun overall. Proud of myself for not going into hate Sony mode, lol.

To be fair, PS3 has the worst version of Skyrim.

The Wii U has a weaker CPU, but not by much, and it has a GPU which literally parallels computations beyond what PS3 can do. That can double a CPU's efficiency. The CPU comes up with things for GPU to compute while it still computes things by itself. I'm thinking they have to lower the clock speed for it to work customly, but it overall is better. If the Wii U was any stronger, it woukd basically be a PS4, if you think in incremental improvement.
The Wii U has downloadable games, too.
I know it's hard to understand, but Wii U will pick up.
We are literally talking about how PS3 beats Wii U in games it had 7 years to obtain, that isn't even a relevant discussion with a new console.
Why would it be a point of pride to say Wii U is better? The exact same thing I am debating with you is the exact same argument, except it's from PS3 to Wii U, vs. Wii U to PS4.
Gaikai may not even stream PS3 and PS3 hasn't supported BC for more 2 years more than Wii.

I don't think any discussion about the Wii U is appropriate in the topic since the original poster didn't ask for opinions on the Wii U vs. PS3 vs 3DS.

It wasn't until someone, once again, failed to read the poster's request and decided to throw in perverted fanboy logic because someone asked about a non-Nintendo product.

terribledeli

3DS Friend Code: 0645-5771-9850 | Nintendo Network ID: terribledeli

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Ralizah

20. Posted:

It might be worth waiting until after the PS4 is released to see if the price goes down for PS3 at all, but, honestly, I don't see much lower it could go.

Edited on by Ralizah

Friend Code: 3351-4294-3552
NNID: Michael418
PSN: Ralizah