3DS Forum

Topic: Shin Megami Tensei IV

Showing 421 to 440 of 611

AuthorMessage

Dreamsleep

421. Posted:

Spoony_Tech wrote:

GuardianKing wrote:

Better question: should I go with the download version?

None of the retailers next to me have it anymore.

I would wait till the price drops. Not saying its not worth 50$ but if you don't get the extras then I would wait!

Check around, some stores still have it. I got mine today, and I really hated paying $50 for a handheld game. However, I do like to support Atlus, from time to time. And, getting the strategy guide, was a nice plus. Was it worth it? Well, probably, since I also got the eShop credit.

Anyway, the game is hard as hell, lol. As it should be, I knew what I was getting myself into with it. I played it for about an hour, but I want to save it for later on. I'd like to play Project X Zone, and Fire Emblem, first. It definitely has that creepy MegaTen feel, though, lol.

Atari 2600, Commodore 64/128, Sega Genesis, 32X, Sega CD, PC, Dreamcast, PS1, PS2, Wii, PSP, DSi, PS3, 3DSXL, WiiU

AuthorMessage

Spoony_Tech

422. Posted:

@GuardianKing Well if your looking to get it right away and have Fire Emblem then you need to get it soon. If not and can wait I think the price will drop before the end of the year or there will be a sale in the shop soon. Up to you though. It is a great game!

John 8:7 He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone.

MERG said:

I'm finding this game way too distracting. I would much rather be playing it right now rather than working!
Words to live by!!

Formerly Tech101 and OldMan-Tech
Tech

3DS Friend Code: 3050-7580-4390 | Nintendo Network ID: Spoony_Tech

AuthorMessage

SphericalCrusher

423. Posted:

Currently like 30 hours in... maybe 40. Level 41 atm. I have the demon armor. I spent a lot of time grinding (it was super slow... but paid off). Loving this game!

SphericalCrusher

3DS Friend Code: 1118-0223-8931 | Nintendo Network ID: SphericalCrusher | Twitter: th3crush3r

AuthorMessage

DualWielding

424. Posted:

Dreamsleep wrote:

Spoony_Tech wrote:

GuardianKing wrote:

Better question: should I go with the download version?

None of the retailers next to me have it anymore.

I would wait till the price drops. Not saying its not worth 50$ but if you don't get the extras then I would wait!

If you have fire emblem and get the 30 back then I think the game is an amazing deal, even the download version, if you don't then yah, 50 is a bit too much for a handheld game

Check around, some stores still have it. I got mine today, and I really hated paying $50 for a handheld game. However, I do like to support Atlus, from time to time. And, getting the strategy guide, was a nice plus. Was it worth it? Well, probably, since I also got the eShop credit.

Anyway, the game is hard as hell, lol. As it should be, I knew what I was getting myself into with it. I played it for about an hour, but I want to save it for later on. I'd like to play Project X Zone, and Fire Emblem, first. It definitely has that creepy MegaTen feel, though, lol.

PSN: Fertheseeker

AuthorMessage

GuardianKing

425. Posted:

So, I got this game already. I have 2 major complaints:

• The Casualry is dressed like Western European villagers/lower middle-class, but the Luxurors are dressed like upper class/upper middle-class Mediteranean (mainly Italian) people. Mikado Castle has an eastern sounding name, but a primarily Western European build and feel to its structure and all. The samurai are dressed like Templars for the most part, with you and the rest of the main cast somewhat looking like samurai, except that your outfits are too 17-20th century military to be classified as "samurai". You live in a place called Mikado, with knights named samurai looking like Templars, and it's people preaching the word of God while most everything has an eastern name, but everyone dresses in a western Renaissance fashion even though it's 1492. So many historical mixups; yet none are even acknowledged in the slightest. The history nerd part of me is crying right now....
  • Speaking of "it's 1492": WHY ARE ALL THE CHARACTERS ALL "OOOPH!!! WE'RE COOL WOTHCTECHNOLOGY AND KNOW HOW TO USE IT"?! There isn't even a single reaction frame; your main character literally goes "Burroughs, I'm fully understanding the extent of your existence and what you are. Now segue me." None of them react the way they should and it's just....ugh....
  • The "easy mode" is too easy; I've played on normal mode, and I've played games that kick my butt in seconds in the past; this however, is too easy. All battles are 100% flee rate, surprise encounters are near impossible, and the enemies go from having 10,000 HP to 100. Plus, the fact that the normal mode doesn't give any extra bonuses is just bogus. I want reasonable difficulty, but the game is stuck at giving me two extremes.

All in all, apart from the easy mode issue, everything is just me being nitpicking about stuff. This game is actually really enjoyable, and the battle system had me funtertained, while the demons and the answers I give to their questions really paint me as an individual (as in I realize how horrible of a person I really am -_-).

If I had to score it, I'd give it an 8.5-9/10

My Neopet.
NL RPG Season 2
DA Profile
StarShip Crusader Tumblr
Fantasy Loggery
Video Game I made: Chosen Words
Melody Astra Avatar
Former Morpheus Avatar courtesy of Gummio. :3
"I am the wise wolf. Which is exactly why I am aware that there are some thing even I don't know." ~ Holo, Spice & Wolf

3DS Friend Code: 5258-0260-8594 | Nintendo Network ID: GuardianKing | Twitter: BeastlyDigital

AuthorMessage

One-Winged-Pit

426. Posted:

Well given the fact that it was never really 1492 and was some fresh start for humanity most of that becomes moot.

"You've GOT to be joking! ALL YOU GODS AND ALL YOUR STUPID WARS ARE THE ONES THROWING EVERYTHING OFF BALANCE!!"
3DS Friend Code: 4296-2987-2154

AuthorMessage

Dreamsleep

427. Posted:

Yeah, the setup to the game seems really thrown together, and bad. But, the meat of the game is the combat, demon farming, etc. And that part is really good, and very fleshed out. Atlus seem to have lost their way a bit, I used to have no complaints, whatsoever. Story isn't something Atlus usually messes up...

Atari 2600, Commodore 64/128, Sega Genesis, 32X, Sega CD, PC, Dreamcast, PS1, PS2, Wii, PSP, DSi, PS3, 3DSXL, WiiU

AuthorMessage

Spoony_Tech

428. Posted:

@Dreamsleep Who's to say the story is messed up. Have you finished the game yet?! If you ask me the story is well written. We are obviously dealing with 2 different cultures acrossed centuries. One in the distant past and one in the present to near furture. I have yet to finish the game but just like our Government they only tell us what we need to know and that we really know nothing. Its a lot like what happens daily in our lives really!

MERG said:

I'm finding this game way too distracting. I would much rather be playing it right now rather than working!
Words to live by!!

Tech

AuthorMessage

kkslider5552000

429. Posted:

so this is a thing:

http://www.destructoid.com/npd-ncaa-football-and-3ds-rise-to-...

near the bottom: "The list below combines SKUs, but if you were to break it down by single platforms, three other games would find their way into the top 10: Shin Megami Tensei IV, Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon, and the Xbox 360 version of Grand Theft Auto IV: The Complete Edition."

3DS friend code: 2878 - 9709 - 5054
Nintendo Network ID: SliderGamer55

I have a Let's Play channel? How?!

AuthorMessage

GuardianKing

430. Posted:

Oh man, this game is getting hard... The difficulty spikes are so uneven.... ;_;

Is it weird that my team/most active demons are all female and human-looking in one way or another? :$

My Neopet.
NL RPG Season 2
DA Profile
StarShip Crusader Tumblr
Fantasy Loggery
Video Game I made: Chosen Words
Melody Astra Avatar
Former Morpheus Avatar courtesy of Gummio. :3
"I am the wise wolf. Which is exactly why I am aware that there are some thing even I don't know." ~ Holo, Spice & Wolf

3DS Friend Code: 5258-0260-8594 | Nintendo Network ID: GuardianKing | Twitter: BeastlyDigital

AuthorMessage

thatguyEZ

431. Posted:

lol wow this thread has exploded since i left

still stuntin on these demons

thatguyEZ

3DS Friend Code: 0791-1617-9793 | Nintendo Network ID: thatguyEZ | Twitter: theinfamousdjez

AuthorMessage

Noboty

432. Posted:

It's amazing how lower-leveled demons can still wip or nearly wipe me if they manage to get a pre-emptive strike.

Noboty

3DS Friend Code: 2793-1469-2823

AuthorMessage

One-Winged-Pit

433. Posted:

Noboty wrote:

It's amazing how lower-leveled demons can still wip or nearly wipe me if they manage to get a pre-emptive strike.

That only happened to me once but I bounced back. I DARE you to try Strange Journey. One pre-emptive attack can kill your entire team and no saving anywhere either. So much lost time. T_T

"You've GOT to be joking! ALL YOU GODS AND ALL YOUR STUPID WARS ARE THE ONES THROWING EVERYTHING OFF BALANCE!!"

AuthorMessage

Ernest_The_Crab

434. Posted:

@One-Winged-Pit I actually found Strange Journey much easier than this one early game though IV appears to be easier mid to end game.

This is mostly due to the fact you could actually control the amount of damage you would take by raising Magic and Vitality (for magic defence and defence respectively) in Strange Journey. Also, Physical Resist armour was pretty easy to come by in Strange Journey, however most damage you take late game is magic with many types that cannot be blocked.

SMTIV is quite brutal early game since you won't have many resistances at that point (especially physical) and no capability to reflect or stop those kinds of attacks. However, once you have built yourself up in SMT4 most normal enemies become capable of being one shotted and bosses can be dispatched rather quickly (one of the exceptions being Beelzebub which is a pain in the donkey regardless of your level, note: not required to beat game though).

@Noboty If you're concerned about ambushes raise your luck. If I remember right, that lowers the odds of an enemy preemptive strike. You can always make sure you hit the enemies with your sword though that doesn't work on the overworld map.

Edited on by theblackdragon

My Backlog | http://www.backloggery.com/thesolarknight

Friend Safari: Espurr, Munna, Duosion

3DS Friend Code: 3909-7515-3526 | Nintendo Network ID: ThePillowGolem

AuthorMessage

Garay

435. Posted:

About to finish neutral, Red Rider is making me wait though... The start of the game was brutal but everything else was easy, also how to unlock easy mode?

Hooked with AC:NL, yet finds time for other games.
Dream Address (AC:NL): 4800-2737-5140.

3DS Friend Code: 0146-9224-0196

AuthorMessage

One-Winged-Pit

436. Posted:

Ernest_The_Crab wrote:

@One-Winged-Pit I actually found Strange Journey much easier than this one early game though IV appears to be easier mid to end game.

This is mostly due to the fact you could actually control the amount of damage you would take by raising Magic and Vitality (for magic defence and defence respectively) in Strange Journey. Also, Physical Resist armour was pretty easy to come by in Strange Journey, however most damage you take late game is magic with many types that cannot be blocked.

SMTIV is quite brutal early game since you won't have many resistances at that point (especially physical) and no capability to reflect or stop those kinds of attacks. However, once you have built yourself up in SMT4 most normal enemies become capable of being one shotted and bosses can be dispatched rather quickly (one of the exceptions being Beelzebub which is a pain in the donkey regardless of your level, note: not required to beat game though).

@Noboty If you're concerned about ambushes raise your luck. If I remember right, that lowers the odds of an enemy preemptive strike. You can always make sure you hit the enemies with your sword though that doesn't work on the overworld map.

Well yeah the beginning of SMT IV was brutal beyond belief but after that Strange Journey was much harder. You can be killed at any time and have to build teams around a boss and then grinding. And yeah Beelzebub was brutal but getting Salvation really ruins him.

AuthorMessage

Ernest_The_Crab

437. Posted:

@One-Winged-Pit That and some of the maps were pretty tedious to navigate especially that last dungeon with both teleporters and one way doors for Strange Journey.

The difficulty in Strange Journey I felt was more "artificial" in nature due to the tedious nature of some of the map elements and the restricted saving. Especially, when dealing with ambushes.

That being said you could deal with the ambushes in Strange Journey with Hyakutaro (lowers chance of ambush) and Surpriser (increase chance of preemptive strikes).

@Garay You need to die twice to unlock Easy Mode.

@GuardianKing I'd say that's normal lolz. Also, if you're having issues with difficulty I'd recommend investing in Almighty (all) , Gun (all) or Physical (all) skills with Concentrate/Charge depending on whether or not you're Physical, Gun, or Magic specialized. It'll also be helpful to transfer a large number of resistances/repels/nulls/drains when fusing demons especially for covering any weaknesses they have (I did this to my elementals so it would be easy to transfer skills to other demons). That way the only way an enemy demon can get additional press turns is through critical hits (well that and targetting your main character).

Edited on by Ernest_The_Crab

My Backlog | http://www.backloggery.com/thesolarknight

Friend Safari: Espurr, Munna, Duosion

3DS Friend Code: 3909-7515-3526 | Nintendo Network ID: ThePillowGolem

AuthorMessage

Kyoto

438. Posted:

I just started playing Strange Journey for the first time. I'm around 8 hours in now and I think I'm approaching the boss of the 2nd "world" now. I'm surprised by how much I'm enjoying it, allthough it's very hard at times.

Guess I will enjoy this one too then? Can't wait for it to be released in Europe :)

[url=http://backloggery.com/kyoto][/url]

3DS Friend Code: 1375-7186-0935

AuthorMessage

Spoony_Tech

439. Posted:

I never played Strange Journey. The cover art turned me off for some reason. I guess you can't judge a book by its cover afterall. If I can find it ill pick it up.

All this game is doing is making me want to get back into Overclocked all over again. Problem is ill restart it and I've already put 93 hours into it. I can see myself doing that as soon as I'm done with SMT IV. Now someone let me know howw far I am please. My next mission is to kill Yuriko!

MERG said:

Words to live by!!

Tech

AuthorMessage

One-Winged-Pit

440. Posted:

Spoony_Tech wrote:

I never played Strange Journey. The cover art turned me off for some reason. I guess you can't judge a book by its cover afterall. If I can find it ill pick it up.

All this game is doing is making me want to get back into Overclocked all over again. Problem is ill restart it and I've already put 93 hours into it. I can see myself doing that as soon as I'm done with SMT IV. Now someone let me know how far I am please. My next mission is to kill Yuriko!

Only that far? Well how far you are depends on your ending. Law and Chaos I would say 70%, false Neutral you are 85%, and true neutral you are...really hard to say could be 50%-60% done. True neutral has you complete pretty much every single side quest.