3DS Forum

Topic: Shin Megami Tensei IV

Showing 161 to 180 of 611

AuthorMessage

Tasuki

161. Posted:

So I am picking this up tomorrow XD and I am wondering, is this game new player friendly or does it rely on you playing the other games in the series?

Pushsquare moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

Nintendo Network ID: Tasuki311

AuthorMessage

MERG

162. Posted:

Ugh...this is killing me. I should receive my copy from Amazon tomorrow but as I'd like to finish FE:A first (I'm only starting Chapter 9), SMT is going to sit their mocking me. Dammit! Why did they have to have that offer for the $30 eshop credit!!

Bow ties are cool - The Doctor

AuthorMessage

oninowon

163. Posted:

WingedFish wrote:

Yeah, um I feel like I wasted $70 bucks (unknowningly spent an extra $20 for release day shipping, which Amazon didn't tell me till after it shipped :p ).

I died over five times, on easy mode, during the tutorials (couldn't find whatever thing I needed for the last part) till I flat out got game over. I was already reflecting on how RPGs aren't my strongest gaming points (if anything that category is probably among my weakest), so I really wasn't interested in the game anyway, just in the promotion.

Ah well, I have the limited edition so hopefully I can at least get my money back via Ebay... Unless this game just happens to have a high beginner's curve and it gets easier thus I'm not giving it enough chance?

Don't give up on the game yet. I've, so far died about 5x and this is during training exercise. Most of those death occurred while undergoing the mission of recruiting the 3 demons (if they didn't like your answer, they would start pummeling you...). However, once I recruited 3 demons, I was able to dispatch most encounters by exploiting their weaknesses (if you exploit their weaknesses, you gain extra turns for which to smack them some more).

The important thing is to get a feel for the demon's disposition when trying to recruit and quickly finding their weakness when forced into combat. Also, aim to specialize your main dude when leveling and get the apps that fit your play style.

oninowon

AuthorMessage

oninowon

164. Posted:

Kyloctopus wrote:

Anyone who got the pre-order bonus: did you have to redeem a code with it? I think EB forgot to give mine and I didn't take notice.

I got mine at Gamestop and the receipt had a code specifically for Gamestop customers (makes available a unique suit).

oninowon

AuthorMessage

oninowon

165. Posted:

Tasuki wrote:

So I am picking this up tomorrow XD and I am wondering, is this game new player friendly or does it rely on you playing the other games in the series?

Each SMT has its own story so you don't need to know what happened in previous SMT games.

Just like Etrian Oddyssey, this game is typically hard especially early on. However, this iteration has an easy mode which you switch onto when you've experienced multiple deaths (the game automatically switched me to easy mode after dying like 4x). Once you feel confident, you can switch back to normal.

oninowon

AuthorMessage

WingedSnagret

166. Posted:

oninowon wrote:

WingedFish wrote:

Yeah, um I feel like I wasted $70 bucks (unknowningly spent an extra $20 for release day shipping, which Amazon didn't tell me till after it shipped :p ).

I died over five times, on easy mode, during the tutorials (couldn't find whatever thing I needed for the last part) till I flat out got game over. I was already reflecting on how RPGs aren't my strongest gaming points (if anything that category is probably among my weakest), so I really wasn't interested in the game anyway, just in the promotion.

Ah well, I have the limited edition so hopefully I can at least get my money back via Ebay... Unless this game just happens to have a high beginner's curve and it gets easier thus I'm not giving it enough chance?

Don't give up on the game yet. I've, so far died about 5x and this is during training exercise. Most of those death occurred while undergoing the mission of recruiting the 3 demons (if they didn't like your answer, they would start pummeling you...). However, once I recruited 3 demons, I was able to dispatch most encounters by exploiting their weaknesses (if you exploit their weaknesses, you gain extra turns for which to smack them some more).

The important thing is to get a feel for the demon's disposition when trying to recruit and quickly finding their weakness when forced into combat. Also, aim to specialize your main dude when leveling and get the apps that fit your play style.

The problem is that practically right after I recruited my team of three, within minutes of the last training mission they all got KO'd. Is there some way to revive them? Because otherwise I'm a sitting duck.

Biggest Pikmin fan on NL!

Avian fact of the week: The Moa, an extinct relative of ostrichs and emus that inhabited New Zealand, was the tallest bird that ever lived at 12 ft tall (3.6 m). It was also the only known bird to have no wing structure.

3DS Friend Code: 4081-5821-0404 | Nintendo Network ID: WingedFish64

AuthorMessage

oninowon

167. Posted:

WingedFish wrote:

The problem is that practically right after I recruited my team of three, within minutes of the last training mission they all got KO'd. Is there some way to revive them? Because otherwise I'm a sitting duck.

If you did not save your game right after you got your 3 recruits, then you are out of luck and must restart from your last save. Do you have any of the revive potions (I don't know exactly what they are called)? You should have collected several up to this point. Check your item screen.

oninowon

AuthorMessage

Tricoloryoshi

168. Posted:

Was the game really THAT hard for some people? :o
I suddenly feel proud about getting stuck on the first challenge quest boss. :D

I izz anti-not good at teh grammerrzz.
If at first you don't succeed, ragequit.
Prepare for the worst, but hope for the best.
Love is too mainstream, haters gonna hate~
my bio by @true_hero
Here is a link. Click it!!! щ(ಠ益ಠщ)

3DS Friend Code: 1332-8860-5661 | Nintendo Network ID: Tricoloryoshi

AuthorMessage

WingedSnagret

169. Posted:

oninowon wrote:

WingedFish wrote:

If you did not save your game right after you got your 3 recruits, then you are out of luck and must restart from your last save. Do you have any of the revive potions (I don't know exactly what they are called)? You should have collected several up to this point. Check your item screen.

I know I saved at some point during the training, but I don't remember when. I think I'll just start over from scratch by this point and see if I can't do any better.

Avian fact of the week: The Moa, an extinct relative of ostrichs and emus that inhabited New Zealand, was the tallest bird that ever lived at 12 ft tall (3.6 m). It was also the only known bird to have no wing structure.

AuthorMessage

oninowon

170. Posted:

WingedFish wrote:

I know I saved at some point during the training, but I don't remember when. I think I'll just start over from scratch by this point and see if I can't do any better.

I'm glad you are willing to give the game another go. Did you download the game or did you pick up a physical copy? If you picked up the physical copy, you should have the strategy guide. Bypass the walkthrough (unless you don't mind spoilers) and just look up the demon stats to find its weakness. That is what I did after dying so much. In combat situation, you really do need to find and exploit a demon's weakness to come out on top. Otherwise, especially early in the game, your guys will drop pretty quickly. My guys are in the 3rd and 4th level so I have a bit of a breathing room to make mistakes (and therefore my TPK percentage has gone down). I can dish out a good amount of pain even if the type of attack is not the demon's weakness. Also, make sure you DO NOT use attacks that the demon is immune to. You will be severly punished.

Also, when you level up, I think it is a good idea to specialize. Some people think a balanced character is doable but I personally think it would make the game experience much tougher. When learning new abilities from your demons, choose a wide spectrum of powers (preferably spread out from each type of attack). This way, you more likely have an answer to whatever demon you're forced to fight. Pay attention to the apps. They make things easier and/or open up more options.

When you come across Pixi, make an attempt to recruit her. She will keep you alive long after you run out of healing potions. Just be aware that opponents will try to take her out first (it has happened to me quite a few times!). I've noticed quite a few at this location have a weakness to ice so find one with the Bafu ability. That should give you a pretty good chance of surviving at least until the final exercise training (the point I'm at...).

I hope that helps. At the moment, I have recruited 6 demons and I found out that even if they are not actively in your party, they still gain a small amount of XP along with your main party members (just that they are much slower to gain levels). So far I've had 2 demons teach me their skills.

oninowon

AuthorMessage

oninowon

171. Posted:

Tricoloryoshi wrote:

Was the game really THAT hard for some people? :o
I suddenly feel proud about getting stuck on the first challenge quest boss. :D

I think many of them (including me) didn't fully grasp the combat mechanics. It had been a while since I had played SMT and forgot how punishing the demons can be if you don't take advantage of a demon's weaknesses.

oninowon

AuthorMessage

WingedSnagret

172. Posted:

oninowon wrote:

WingedFish wrote:

I'm glad you are willing to give the game another go. Did you download the game or did you pick up a physical copy? If you picked up the physical copy, you should have the strategy guide. Bypass the walkthrough (unless you don't mind spoilers) and just look up the demon stats to find its weakness. That is what I did after dying so much. In combat situation, you really do need to find and exploit a demon's weakness to come out on top. Otherwise, especially early in the game, your guys will drop pretty quickly. My guys are in the 3rd and 4th level so I have a bit of a breathing room to make mistakes (and therefore my TPK percentage has gone down). I can dish out a good amount of pain even if the type of attack is not the demon's weakness. Also, make sure you DO NOT use attacks that the demon is immune to. You will be severly punished.

Also, when you level up, I think it is a good idea to specialize. Some people think a balanced character is doable but I personally think it would make the game experience much tougher. When learning new abilities from your demons, choose a wide spectrum of powers (preferably spread out from each type of attack). This way, you more likely have an answer to whatever demon you're forced to fight. Pay attention to the apps. They make things easier and/or open up more options.

When you come across Pixi, make an attempt to recruit her. She will keep you alive long after you run out of healing potions. Just be aware that opponents will try to take her out first (it has happened to me quite a few times!). I've noticed quite a few at this location have a weakness to ice so find one with the Bafu ability. That should give you a pretty good chance of surviving at least until the final exercise training (the point I'm at...).

I hope that helps. At the moment, I have recruited 6 demons and I found out that even if they are not actively in your party, they still gain a small amount of XP along with your main party members (just that they are much slower to gain levels). So far I've had 2 demons teach me their skills.

Yikes this sounds complicated! Well I'm going to start anew tonight, probably under the guidance of the book it came with this time. Wish me luck.

AuthorMessage

Retro_on_theGo

173. Posted:

Well, missed out on the preorder chance. And now people are borrowing my money. God I hope I can get enough cash for this before the deal ends.

"When freaky aliens give you lemons, make freaky alien lemonade!" -Hades 3DS FC: 5026-4421-7593
Black 2 FC: 0605 4087 9952 My Backloggery
My Colors! 3D Gallery

AuthorMessage

oninowon

174. Posted:

WingedFish wrote:

Yikes this sounds complicated! Well I'm going to start anew tonight, probably under the guidance of the book it came with this time. Wish me luck.

Well, it is similar to combat in Pokemon where you would not want to send your fire type against a water type pokemon. SMT also have creatures that have a certain affinity towards an element or type while also being more susceptible towards certain elemental/ type attacks. The only difference is that SMT actively rewards you for exploiting that weakness in the form of extra turns and greater damage and punishes you in the form of immediate loss of turn(s) and losing much more damage than usual.

Also, your main character also participates in the battle and therefore his stats are very important. Besides your abilities such as strength, you have to make decisions on the types of skills you want to learn from demons and finally the apps. Furthermore, this particular SMT also seem to be big on type of weapons and armor your character equips. I think as long as you know your game play style and you are able to tailor your main character and the party as a whole to fit that style of gameplay, you should be fine.

If you have played previous versions of the game (I believe you have said so), you know not to get too attached to your demons and to replace them as soon as you get a demon that has greater stats and skills.

oninowon

AuthorMessage

Morphbug

175. Posted:

Prima Games' facebook page is running a contest to win two free copies of this game with a bunch of extra goodies if anyone with a facebook account is interested.

Oh look! A Morphloggery.
Oh! eShop Gurus.

3DS Friend Code: 0173-1330-0080 | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

AuthorMessage

DualWielding

176. Posted:

Anyone thinks the Manga Isabeau was reading was the Rose of Versailles? would totally geek out if this game had a reference to one of my favorite series of all time

PSN: Fertheseeker

AuthorMessage

WingedSnagret

177. Posted:

oninowon wrote:

WingedFish wrote:

Well, it is similar to combat in Pokemon where you would not want to send your fire type against a water type pokemon. SMT also have creatures that have a certain affinity towards an element or type while also being more susceptible towards certain elemental/ type attacks. The only difference is that SMT actively rewards you for exploiting that weakness in the form of extra turns and greater damage and punishes you in the form of immediate loss of turn(s) and losing much more damage than usual.

Also, your main character also participates in the battle and therefore his stats are very important. Besides your abilities such as strength, you have to make decisions on the types of skills you want to learn from demons and finally the apps. Furthermore, this particular SMT also seem to be big on type of weapons and armor your character equips. I think as long as you know your game play style and you are able to tailor your main character and the party as a whole to fit that style of gameplay, you should be fine.

If you have played previous versions of the game (I believe you have said so), you know not to get too attached to your demons and to replace them as soon as you get a demon that has greater stats and skills.

Still confusing. And this is my first SMT game so, yeah. To be honest I'm rather new to the whole RPG scene to begin with, having only played the category for about a year (I'm more suited to RTS and platforming).

AuthorMessage

Spoony_Tech

178. Posted:

@WingedFish Atlus is known for more punishing style of rpg. Its not a great place to start unless you have experience with rpgs. We can help you though if you want to try and stick it out but you just might not be ready for this style of rpg. Have you tried the EO4 demo. It won a lot of people over and also has a casual mode. Its really a good game and a bit simpler then this.

If you want suggestions for any other rpgs that are epic and can ease you in better don't hesitate to ask

John 8:7 He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone.

MERG said:

I'm finding this game way too distracting. I would much rather be playing it right now rather than working!
Words to live by!!

Formerly Tech101 and OldMan-Tech
Tech

3DS Friend Code: 3050-7580-4390 | Nintendo Network ID: Spoony_Tech

AuthorMessage

SphericalCrusher

179. Posted:

Game is so good. The negotiations are so diverse, it's insane. Similar to past SMT titles that I HAVE played, but it feels deeper IMO. I love how I find a crazy boxer-style demon just wants to "punch me in the face one good time" before joining me. Haha. I love being able to haggle with them, too. 10k money? Nope!

SphericalCrusher

3DS Friend Code: 1118-0223-8931 | Nintendo Network ID: SphericalCrusher | Twitter: th3crush3r

AuthorMessage

WingedSnagret

180. Posted:

Ugh, I give up. RPGs are already unfamiliar ground to me, but this just throws what little I know straight out the window. Hopefully I'll be able to sell it and at least get my money back. It isn't a bad game don't get me wrong, it's just not for me.

Edited on by WingedSnagret