Forums

Topic: Senran Kagura Burst

Posts 141 to 160 of 279

theblackdragon

ferthepoet wrote:

I admit I sometimes feel uncomfortable about the excess of fanservice in this game but when you think about it, is a game that oversexualize girls but give them personality and the ability to kick donkey really worst than one that sexualizes them albeing in a toned down and more tasteful manner but give them no personality and their role is only being a damsel in distress like most Mario and Zelda titles, especially the older ones?

Two wrongs don't make a right.

BEST THREAD EVER
future of NL >:3
[16:43] James: I should learn these site rules more clearly
[16:44] LztheBlehBird: James doesn't know the rules? For shame!!!

3DS Friend Code: 3136-6802-7042 | Nintendo Network ID: gentlemen_cat | Twitter:

GuSolarFlare

theblackdragon wrote:

ferthepoet wrote:

I admit I sometimes feel uncomfortable about the excess of fanservice in this game but when you think about it, is a game that oversexualize girls but give them personality and the ability to kick donkey really worst than one that sexualizes them albeing in a toned down and more tasteful manner but give them no personality and their role is only being a damsel in distress like most Mario and Zelda titles, especially the older ones?

Two wrongs don't make a right.

but I think giving power, personality and "oversizing" female characters is actually two rights(Power and Personality) and a wrong(a wrong most men have interest but still wrong) so I think it makes a slightly less valuable right in a certain way....

goodbyes are a sad part of life but for every end there's a new beggining so one must never stop looking forward to the next dawn
now working at IBM as helpdesk analyst
my Backloggery

3DS Friend Code: 3995-7085-4333 | Nintendo Network ID: GustavoSF

DualWielding

A good point that they raise at TV tropes is that Senran Kagura does pass the Bechdel test, when you think of it very few games do, specially outside of the RPG genre

Edited on by DualWielding

PSN: Fertheseeker

DualWielding

From the wikipedia: The Bechdel test (/ˈbɛkdəl/ BEK-dəl) asks whether a work of fiction features at least two women who talk to each other about something other than a man. Many contemporary works fail this test of gender bias.

As a bit of trivia in Sweden they are now rating movies on whether they pass the bechdel test in addition to violence ect...

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/nov/06/swedish-cinemas-...

PSN: Fertheseeker

sugarpixel

@ferthepoet: OK, cool! This game has enough female characters in it; I suppose they eventually (if not always) have to talk about other things, to you know, actually advance the plot?

Twitter | ko-fi | YouTube | Backloggery

Add me on Nintendo Switch! SW-5806-7479-1875

Switch Friend Code: SW-5806-7479-1875 | 3DS Friend Code: 3394-4319-1146 | My Nintendo: FlutterBug | Nintendo Network ID: Fluttershy_Gioku | Twitter:

Magikarp3

Bechdel testing is good and all, but it's not an accurate measure of female presence in media. If anything, it's just a way to expose the lack of female presence in media.

What we need to do is go out and play games which have interesting and well written (I'm refraining to use the word strong here) female characters. They might be hard to find at first, but they do certainly exist. Sexualisation is a completely different problem compared to underrepresentation, although I guess you could say both have roots in the assumption that all gamers are men and all men have the same tastes.

Anyway back on topic, I'm actually pretty stoked after RR529 said that there's a lot of side content to unlock. I had a whole lot of fun going through all the unlockables in Code of Princess, so hopefully this might deliver too

Edited on by Magikarp3

http://backloggery.com/oiiopo

always thought I'd change to Gyarados after I turned 20 but hey, this is more fitting I guess. (also somebody registered under the original Magikarp name and I can't get back to it anymore orz)

3DS Friend Code: 3952-7233-0245

Arminillo

I bought a larger SD card for this game, feel super guilty.

3DS name: Arminillo
3DS FC: 1118-0310-8459

"The Rich Boy wakes Up, But is Handsome."
-DeviousSnorlax

Nintendo Network ID: Arminillo

Snagrio

I can't help but find it a little hypocritical that we're arguing about sexualisation, feminism, and the overall deplorable practice of the whole idea, and yet most of us are planning on getting a game that clearly panders to the above problems.

Kind of a double standard if you ask me.

Snagrio

3DS Friend Code: 4081-5821-0404 | Nintendo Network ID: WingedFish64

kkslider5552000

Not really. This entire game is pretty clearly a joke, so I think most people are getting it for being ridiculous, or at least have enough self-awareness for well-endowed anime girls to only be a very secondary reason to spend money on a video game.

On another forum, I basically wrote an essay about my issues with a main character in my favorite series, largely coming from increasingly unintentionally sexist writing coming into play. But that wasn't why I don't like the character, it's because the character being written that way took any fun away from her and turned her into a lame love interest more than a character. If this game makes similar mistakes, ok, but if the characterization's fine and it's funny at being shameless and knows it's shameless, I fail to see the issue. Spoiler alert, there's a really good chance you love a game/story that is way more sexist.

Edited on by kkslider5552000

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

RR529

NWR - 7.5/10

They Liked: Loads of content (it literally features two quite large games in one). While not revolutionary, it has solid, fun, & deep beat 'em up combat (each character has a myriad of unique moves, and the fact that you take more damage with the less clothing you have on, adds a layer of depth). Loads of unlockables (new moves, costumes, artwork, movies, and more). Japanese voice acting left intact, with great text translation. Even if a bit cliché, the characters are likeable, and the story can get surprisingly dark & philosophical near the end.

They Disliked: It's definitely a niche title, that won't win over anime-haters, feminists, or anyone else uncomfortable with the theme.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

1upsuper

^ They disliked that it won't make feminists happy? How is that a valid argument? Personally, I'm loving it, fanservice and all.

Backloggery: http://www.backloggery.com/1upsuper

RR529

1upsuper wrote:

^ They disliked that it won't make feminists happy? How is that a valid argument? Personally, I'm loving it, fanservice and all.

I think what they were getting at, was that although the fanservice will have it's fans, it undoubtedly will drive away more people than it will bring in, which is a shame since the game would be able to stand on it's own merits.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

shaneoh

RR529 wrote:

1upsuper wrote:

I think what they were getting at, was that although the fanservice will have it's fans, it undoubtedly will drive away more people than it will bring in, which is a shame since the game would be able to stand on it's own merits.

I think @1upsuper has a valid point. Did the reviewer deduct points because some people won't like it? By that logic, no video game would ever score well because stupid people think that video games corrupt people. In the end a review is an opinion, and being able to say that "X group of people" probably wouldn't enjoy it IS important, but that shouldn't affect the reviewer's opinion of it, otherwise why the hell has GTA V scored so high? I know feminists will most likely not enjoy it, but if (a matter of it getting localized) I get to play it, I won't care what other people thought of it, I'll form my own opinion. It's only a bunch of light, electricity and psychology.

The Greatest love story ever, Rosie Love (part 33 done)
The collective noun for a group of lunatics is a forum. A forum of lunatics.
I'm belligerent, you were warned.

Magikarp3

If a reviewer saw their score as a scale of how much they would recommend a game, then excessive fanservice which would drive off some gamers would be a good reason to take off a few points. This game is, after all, not for everybody.

If a reviewer saw their score as a scale of how good a game was in their eyes, and they feel that the fanservice is a detriment to a game, it's also reasonable enough to take off a few points.

In either case, @shaneoh , it's the reviewer's opinion which leads to their score, not the fear that some moral guardians will come snapping at their doors. In fact, lately it seems that reviewers who dock points for hyperviolent or oversexualised gameplay end up with angry fans snapping at their doors

http://backloggery.com/oiiopo

always thought I'd change to Gyarados after I turned 20 but hey, this is more fitting I guess. (also somebody registered under the original Magikarp name and I can't get back to it anymore orz)

3DS Friend Code: 3952-7233-0245

CaviarMeths

Roger Ebert's style of review, which I agreed with, was to review in context of the intended audience. He rated several blockbuster popcorn flicks 4/4 stars right alongside the powerful award-winning dramas, because he knew that anybody looking up reviews of a popcorn flick probably didn't care about things like realism.

I don't think fanservice should affect a reviewer's rating, because anybody interested in this game either doesn't care about the fanservice or is playing the game because of the fanservice. Knocking off a point or two because of some underwear doesn't give an accurate assessment of the game for its target audience. They can certainly mention it, and discuss how it deterred them personally, but it shouldn't affect the final score.

So Anakin kneels before Monster Mash and pledges his loyalty to the graveyard smash.

shaneoh

Jollykarp wrote:

If a reviewer saw their score as a scale of how much they would recommend a game, then excessive fanservice which would drive off some gamers would be a good reason to take off a few points. This game is, after all, not for everybody.

If a reviewer saw their score as a scale of how good a game was in their eyes, and they feel that the fanservice is a detriment to a game, it's also reasonable enough to take off a few points.

What @CavialMeths has stated reflects on these sentences. Know you audience. When I recommend a game to a person, I do it based on their interests and views. Stating that Feminists should try this game is ridiculous, much the same way as suggesting an Amish should try out a particle accelerator is ridiculous. The initial paragraph should cover the very basics about what sort of game it is and any controversial subjects, and then follow on with positive and negative details and features that those that are still interested in playing the game after that initial paragraph should know. If it were a WW2 FPS I would look at the initial paragraph, find out as such, and then skip over reading the rest of it. It would be something I don't want to play and therefore don't need to read any more about it. But it shouldn't be adversely affected because I don't like the subject matter and genre.

Jollykarp wrote:

In either case, @shaneoh , it's the reviewer's opinion which leads to their score, not the fear that some moral guardians will come snapping at their doors. In fact, lately it seems that reviewers who dock points for hyperviolent or oversexualised gameplay end up with angry fans snapping at their doors

See the way their cons section is written it does seem like they are afraid of a moral guardian, which shouldn't be the case for a reviewer. I don't have a problem with what they think as long as they state it clearly, but the review says:
Won't appeal to anime-haters
Won't appeal to feminists
Won't appeal to the morally-sound
They aren't saying that these are issues which made the game unappealing to them. If instead they had said:
I'm not a fan of anime
I do not like the portrayal of "women"
morally suspect
(except more professionally written) as the only reasons they didn't like the game then I would understand the score they have given, but it would still leave me wondering if they have missed any technical or gameplay issues which would detract from the experience of someone who doesn't mind the subject matter. But as it is, it seems like they want to appear to be sitting on the fence, but the review reads like they really enjoyed playing it and that there are no significant bugs or issues with the gameplay. In contrast this is the cons section for ME3 on Wii U:
Combat can get repetitive
Dull story, writing, and characters
Graphical and sound glitches
This is what the reviewer THINKS, not what someone else may think about it. This is what someone who would have a genuine interest in playing the game, after knowing the subject matter, would want to know, things that MAY (not almost certainly) seriously detract from their enjoyment.

Think that's everything. Spent too much time on this.

Edited on by shaneoh

The Greatest love story ever, Rosie Love (part 33 done)
The collective noun for a group of lunatics is a forum. A forum of lunatics.
I'm belligerent, you were warned.

reborn

Does anyone know if the Q1 release in Europe is closer to January or to March? I cannot we'll see a physical release of this game Waiting for Conception II, though.

Currently playing: Persona 4 Golden (Vita), Persona (PSP), Disgaea 3 (Vita), Yumi's Odd Odyssey (3DS), Devil Survivor Overclocked (3DS).
Recently finished: Pokémon X (3DS), Persona 3 Portable (PSP), Fire Emblem Awakening (3DS), Virtue's Last Reward (3DS).
FC: 0748-1618-4432

sugarpixel

@reborn Oh yeah there's Conception II coming too, huh? I'm still not sure about that one, lol. And it seems the Vita is the way to go for that one... at least everyone seems to want the Vita version over the 3DS version, lol. But I find it pretty cool that we're starting to get all of these weird Japanese games over here.

Edited on by sugarpixel

Twitter | ko-fi | YouTube | Backloggery

Add me on Nintendo Switch! SW-5806-7479-1875

Switch Friend Code: SW-5806-7479-1875 | 3DS Friend Code: 3394-4319-1146 | My Nintendo: FlutterBug | Nintendo Network ID: Fluttershy_Gioku | Twitter:

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.