3DS Forum

Topic: Retail to Digital Save Transfer

Showing 1 to 20 of 29

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Zach777

1. Posted:

Tis now available on the U.S. eShop. Search for 'data'.

Wii Friend Code: 5530-6075-2319-8028
3DS Friend Code: 0173-1350-1794
Poke'Mon White 2 Friend Code: 2065-7000-4226
WiiU NNID: Zach777
AC:NL Dream Address: 4500-2207-2260

AuthorMessage
Avatar

SammyOfMobius

2. Posted:

Wait, what??? So how does it work? Are you allowed to get the digital copy free if you have the retail game? Or if you buy the digital version of a retail game you already own, can you transfer the save data of the retail version to the digital version, or vice versa? Please tell me, I need to know.

Games I'm playing currently: Legend of Zelda: A Link Betweeen Worlds, Tearaway
Games I'm excited for: Super Mario 3D World, Super Smash Bros. 4, Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze, Mario Kart 8
3DS Friend Code: 1719-3467-7677
Nintendo Network ID: SupaSamiStar14

AuthorMessage
Avatar

GuSilverFlame

3. Posted:

looks like if you buy a digital copy you can transfer the data from the game card...
but you still have to buy both retail and digital copies. so it's not quite worth it(unless you find someone willing to pay full price for your game card after you transfer your save to the digital copy)

Kirby 20th anniversary Remix
Kirby is coming to the 3DS!!!!!!!
my Backloggery
the Chit-Chat Crew!
my Banner made by Dark-Luigi!
My Galaxy Bio also by Dark-Luigi!
All the lights in the sky are stars
visit Nintendo Friends it's a cool place
Row Row, Fight the Power!

3DS Friend Code: 3995-7085-4333 | Nintendo Network ID: GustavoSF

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Undead_terror

4. Posted:

It would also be nice if it worked the opposite way as well.

I am the zombie god that controls zombie in both games and real life...FEAR ME!
The graveyard | Reviewer at eshop gurus | Owner and reviewer at Droid gurus | Public chat | Forums

3DS Friend Code: 5198-2878-6360 | Nintendo Network ID: Undead_terror

AuthorMessage
Avatar

shinesprite

5. Posted:

I could see this coming in handy for renters an select library users alike. ;)

Recently Completed - The Legend of Zelda:A Link Between Worlds - honestly, I was more surprised by the low difficulty, rather than the ending

AuthorMessage
Avatar

SammyOfMobius

6. Posted:

GustavoSF wrote:

looks like if you buy a digital copy you can transfer the data from the game card...
but you still have to buy both retail and digital copies. so it's not quite worth it(unless you find someone willing to pay full price for your game card after you transfer your save to the digital copy)

Wow. Okay Nintendo, I'm just not going to download this because it's completely useless and pointless, and makes no sense because if you have a game in one format, why buy it in another? I'm not wasting memory on this useless garbage app. You're looking for a way to make a quick buck by asking fans to buy the digital version of a game they already have just for the sake of using the app, Nintendo? You make me sick Nintendo. You guys make awesome games, but deep down inside, it's all about the money for you guys.

Edited on by SammyOfMobius

Games I'm playing currently: Legend of Zelda: A Link Betweeen Worlds, Tearaway
Games I'm excited for: Super Mario 3D World, Super Smash Bros. 4, Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze, Mario Kart 8
3DS Friend Code: 1719-3467-7677
Nintendo Network ID: SupaSamiStar14

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Moorpheel

7. Posted:

Oh wow seriously why would nintendo give the option to transfer their saves to people who would need it?

They're so evil.

Edited on by Moorpheel

Moo

Oh look! A Morphloggery.
Oh! eShop Gurus.

3DS Friend Code: 0173-1330-0080 | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

AuthorMessage
AvatarAdmin

theblackdragon

8. Posted:

come on now, guys — what if you decide to pick up an XL later on that comes with a free download of something you'd already purchased before, and you wouldn't mind reselling the cartridge version but don't want to lose your saves. or how about if you qualified for some sort of promotion, but the only games they were giving for free were games you'd already purchased cartridges for. wouldn't you like to have the option to have your main save file(s) available on the go?

i think i said in another thread that i'm already considering purchasing a digital copy of Code of Princess (if it's available in the NA eShop) and copying over my own save information since my husband wants to play it but I don't want to lose my own progress — it's an expensive option, but Atlus games tend to be rare anyway so i'd probably be paying full price for a second copy of the game anyway, and this way i get to keep my collected weapons and stats that i worked so hard for. what I'm wondering is whether it's an all-or-nothing sort of thing (if a game has three save slots, can you only transfer all three at once, or can you pick and choose?), whether it completely rewrites the saves on the downloadable version or you can back those up on your computer and just recopy over the version on your SD card as you please), and also whether it goes both ways (where you could pass on your saves to a little brother or something who has the cartridge and you have the downloaded version, for example). has anyone tried it yet? or does anyone know?

Edited on by theblackdragon

BEST THREAD EVER
future of NL >:3
[16:43] James: I should learn these site rules more clearly
[16:44] LztheBlehBird: James doesn't know the rules? For shame!!!
[16:44] Vintage: We have rules?
[16:44] Reala: don't expose the staff to sunlight, don't get them wet and don't feed them after midnight

3DS Friend Code: 3136-6802-7042 | Nintendo Network ID: gentlemen_cat | Twitter: theblackdragon

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Moorpheel

9. Posted:

From the info on the eshop, it seems like it's a one-way-trip which transfers all the data.

Edited on by Moorpheel

Moo

Oh look! A Morphloggery.
Oh! eShop Gurus.

3DS Friend Code: 0173-1330-0080 | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

AuthorMessage
Avatar

GuSilverFlame

10. Posted:

theblackdragon wrote:

come on now, guys — what if you decide to pick up an XL later on that comes with a free download of something you'd already purchased before, and you wouldn't mind reselling the cartridge version but don't want to lose your saves. or how about if you qualified for some sort of promotion, but the only games they were giving for free were games you'd already purchased cartridges for. wouldn't you like to have the option to have your main save file(s) available on the go?

i think i said in another thread that i'm already considering purchasing a digital copy of Code of Princess (if it's available in the NA eShop) and copying over my own save information since my husband wants to play it but I don't want to lose my own progress — it's an expensive option, but Atlus games tend to be rare anyway so i'd probably be paying full price for a second copy of the game anyway, and this way i get to keep my collected weapons and stats that i worked so hard for. what I'm wondering is whether it's an all-or-nothing sort of thing (if a game has three save slots, can you only transfer all three at once, or can you pick and choose?), whether it completely rewrites the saves on the downloadable version or you can back those up on your computer and just recopy over the version on your SD card as you please), and also whether it goes both ways (where you could pass on your saves to a little brother or something who has the cartridge and you have the downloaded version, for example). has anyone tried it yet? or does anyone know?

good point now that's a good use for this feature.
and I at least hope to be able to make saves go back and forth without deleting either! I always wanted to see if my cousin stands a chance against me if we both use the same save file

Kirby 20th anniversary Remix
Kirby is coming to the 3DS!!!!!!!
my Backloggery
the Chit-Chat Crew!
my Banner made by Dark-Luigi!
My Galaxy Bio also by Dark-Luigi!
All the lights in the sky are stars
visit Nintendo Friends it's a cool place
Row Row, Fight the Power!

3DS Friend Code: 3995-7085-4333 | Nintendo Network ID: GustavoSF

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Sjoerd

11. Posted:

Morphtroid wrote:

Oh wow seriously why would nintendo give the option to transfer their saves to people who would need it?

They're so evil.

3DS Friendcode: 2234-7361-0146
NNID: Soddard

3DS Friend Code: 2234-7361-0146 | Nintendo Network ID: Soddard

AuthorMessage
Avatar

SammyOfMobius

12. Posted:

theblackdragon wrote:

come on now, guys — what if you decide to pick up an XL later on that comes with a free download of something you'd already purchased before, and you wouldn't mind reselling the cartridge version but don't want to lose your saves. or how about if you qualified for some sort of promotion, but the only games they were giving for free were games you'd already purchased cartridges for. wouldn't you like to have the option to have your main save file(s) available on the go?

i think i said in another thread that i'm already considering purchasing a digital copy of Code of Princess (if it's available in the NA eShop) and copying over my own save information since my husband wants to play it but I don't want to lose my own progress — it's an expensive option, but Atlus games tend to be rare anyway so i'd probably be paying full price for a second copy of the game anyway, and this way i get to keep my collected weapons and stats that i worked so hard for. what I'm wondering is whether it's an all-or-nothing sort of thing (if a game has three save slots, can you only transfer all three at once, or can you pick and choose?), whether it completely rewrites the saves on the downloadable version or you can back those up on your computer and just recopy over the version on your SD card as you please), and also whether it goes both ways (where you could pass on your saves to a little brother or something who has the cartridge and you have the downloaded version, for example). has anyone tried it yet? or does anyone know?

Well that's a good point. I can't see myself ever using this tool, but I'm sure it's useful to others. That's a really good point; I never thought of that. Although I would like it better if you could get the digital version of a game free if you own the retail version of a game, I guess this could still be useful to some.

Games I'm playing currently: Legend of Zelda: A Link Betweeen Worlds, Tearaway
Games I'm excited for: Super Mario 3D World, Super Smash Bros. 4, Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze, Mario Kart 8
3DS Friend Code: 1719-3467-7677
Nintendo Network ID: SupaSamiStar14

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Zach777

13. Posted:

For me, it is a great app because I'm switching over completely to digital software. I've been looking forward to this, anyway.

Wii Friend Code: 5530-6075-2319-8028
3DS Friend Code: 0173-1350-1794
Poke'Mon White 2 Friend Code: 2065-7000-4226
WiiU NNID: Zach777
AC:NL Dream Address: 4500-2207-2260

AuthorMessage
AvatarStaff

Unca_Lz

14. Posted:

@multimariosonic: To address your other question, you'd essentially own TWO copies of the game with digital. Why would Nintendo do that?

Nintendo Life moderator and duck

My Retrologgery
LordJumpMad is emperor. U mad?

3DS Friend Code: 2234-7139-4188 | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

AuthorMessage
Avatar

bezerker99

15. Posted:

Seems like if you had the retail version of a game, Nintendo would let you register it and then make it available to you for free in the eShop. But that's what "common sense" thinking gets you with Nintendo. Nowhere.

I can't think of any reason, outside the normal circumstances, why any rational person would pay $39.99 for a download after paying $39.99 for the retail version. People thought I was crazy for wanting MH3U on 3DS and Wii U but this is taking that concept to an even further level! :O

Edited on by bezerker99

"And [Sting!!!], I'm not coming to show YOU or anyone else who the better wrestler is. I'm coming...to hurt you...for real...for a long, looong time. WOOOOO!!!" - 'Nature Boy' Ric Flair
AC:NL Dream Address: 4400-2611-9546
My Bird Mania Christmas 3D review

3DS Friend Code: 5198-2506-5820 | Nintendo Network ID: bezerker99 | Twitter: bezerker99

AuthorMessage
AvatarStaff

Unca_Lz

16. Posted:

bezerker99 wrote:

Seems like if you had the retail version of a game, Nintendo would let you register it and then make it available to you for free in the eShop. But that's what "common sense" thinking gets you with Nintendo. Nowhere.

I can't think of any reason, outside the normal circumstances, why any rational person would pay $39.99 for a download after paying $39.99 for the retail version. People thought I was crazy for wanting MH3U on 3DS and Wii U but this is taking that concept to an even further level! :O

I can think of a few:

-You get the eShop version for free through an offer or...
-You buy another copy for yourself and give the old copy to someone

Nintendo Life moderator and duck

My Retrologgery
LordJumpMad is emperor. U mad?

3DS Friend Code: 2234-7139-4188 | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

AuthorMessage
Avatar

SkywardLink98

17. Posted:

@LzQuacker Or your friend wants your save, and through this you can give it to them.

*Opinions, views, and/or biases are all subject to change on a regular basis.
Sorry everyone, but GLaDOS has been delayed.
Bergmite, Piloswine and Snover safari.

3DS Friend Code: 4296-3424-5332

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Robo-Knight

18. Posted:

I was hoping that this would be free, it should've been free.

Robo-Knight

AuthorMessage
Avatar

iphys

19. Posted:

Just used it to transfer my MK7 data from my cart to my MK7 XL. Now I can trade in the cart, yay!

http://backloggery.com/iphys

3DS Friend Code: 1504-5686-7557 | Nintendo Network ID: iphys_eh

AuthorMessage
Avatar

SCAR392

20. Posted:

I would have used this when I bought MK7 digital version. I had the game card, but I wanted it on the SD card. I completed all the stuff again, so whatever.
All this talk about giving you the retail and digital in one is absurd. They would lose twice as much money having 2 copies out at once, because you only really need one.
The transfer tool is free, it's optional, no reason to complain.

$¢@®³’²