Forums

Topic: Region locking

Posts 1 to 6 of 6

Henmii

I am still a bit confused about the whole region locking issue. I understand that 3DS reatail games are region locked: You can only play European games on European devices, American games on American devices, etc. But what about my old DS retail games. Can I play my American Kirby canvas curse on a European 3DS? And how can I see that a 3DS retail game is from my region? I guess we won't have PAL and NTSC on the 3DS, so there must be another way to see if a game is from my region. I did send Nintendo a email, but didn't get a proper answer. Have you guys any idea?

Henmii

Retro_on_theGo

Yes old DS games aren't region locked so they'll work fine on any region 3DS. On the cover for the 3DS games there should be a picture of the rating board that rated the game. I believe for Europe it's something like Pegi. I'm not from Europe so I'm not one to know,but here in America the rating board is ESRB. That should be a way of telling where it's from.

killer6370

if you see Pegi or USK its from europe theres an easy way to find that out esrb does not use nubers for their rating youl see a big T,M,AO on usa games with pegi youll see 6+,12+ ect and USk is easy to know theres a number and the rating has a color Red 18+,16+ blue 12+=green
for eg this is a german sims 3 packshot http://yurl.fr/adlJ1

and this is the us packshot http://www.simstoday.de/index.php?page=Attachment&attachm...

Edited on by killer6370

killer6370

theblackdragon

the region lock does not apply to normal DS titles. it only applies to DSi/3DS retail and downloadable titles. your NA copy of Canvas Curse will play fine on your 3DS.

As for telling whether a game is for your region or not, the packaging will be different, as will the rating — ESRB rates games for NA, PEGI for EU, CERO for JP, and i think AUS has their own ratings board as well.

Edited on by theblackdragon

BEST THREAD EVER
future of NL >:3
[16:43] James: I should learn these site rules more clearly
[16:44] LztheBlehBird: James doesn't know the rules? For shame!!!

3DS Friend Code: 3136-6802-7042 | Nintendo Network ID: gentlemen_cat | Twitter:

SwerdMurd

ahhhh....seeing a topic with the word "locking" in the title and then seeing tbd's avatar next to it...

had to come see.

-Swerd Murd

(check my tunes out at www.soundcloud.com/swerdmurd)

Henmii

Thanks guys! I had never thought about the rating boards. That way it's easy to see from wich region the game is.

"it only applies to DSi/3DS retail and downloadable titles"

You mean DS retail games with DSi features, such as Art academy? Well, there are only a few of them and I don't plan to buy those anyway.

Henmii

• Page 1 of 1

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.