Forums

Topic: reflective display is so annoying. Why?!

Posts 1 to 13 of 13

Ren

I can't be the only one baffled by the choice of the extremely glossy 3ds screen. I'm so lin love with my 3ds but I literally can't play it during most daytime hours or in almost a 'normally' lit room. I can't understand how it made sense in any way to have a 3d device where it's fundamental function is to clearly see 2 images with your eyes would ever benefit from such a reflective screen. I found an ok matte screen protector and it's on it's way. I already had one top screen replaced due to the scratched in lines from the lower screen (that quickly became permanent) and it looks like it's starting to come back again. I'm afraid that once I put a screen protector on it'll just dig even deeper into that and leave clear lines on the protector. Honestly I don't care what is scratched I just want to see the images properly and it seems so poorly designed for that in every way, while everything else seems so meticulously designed. Am I alone? Mine is a launch 3DS, does it seem it was changed even slightly since launch to fix the screen scratch problem at all?

Ren

FOREST_RANGER

I don't own a 3DS, but I did find the reflective screen annoying when I tried it at Target, especially when I was playing with the 3D function.

EDIT: truthfully, I don't know why Nintendo used a reflective screen. Did the market for matted screens increase in price over the last few years? My economics is really rusty, but I think matted screens aren't more expensive since they're low in demand (I may be wrong <.<). If all else, I think it was a design mistake since the previous DS's kinda used reflected screens, or, maybe a compromise to enhance the touchscreen.

Edited on by FOREST_RANGER

Formely known as bobbiKat

Nintendo Network ID: F0R35T_R8NG3R

SamuraiShyGuy

Unless you're playing in the sunlight, it's not a problem at all for me.

3DS: 0173-1626-4750
Jesus answered, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me."
Check out my Colors!3D gallery!

theblackdragon

my guess would be that everything is relative — pretty sure I remember something about them trying to figure out what color to make the border around the 3D screen, and they switched it from white to black so that people could concentrate fully on the 3D or whatever. i'd imagine it was so much better just with the black that they didn't even think about the glossy surface until it was too late. perhaps we'll see a matte border in the next iteration? :3

BEST THREAD EVER
future of NL >:3
[16:43] James: I should learn these site rules more clearly
[16:44] LztheBlehBird: James doesn't know the rules? For shame!!!

3DS Friend Code: 3136-6802-7042 | Nintendo Network ID: gentlemen_cat | Twitter:

Noire

Nintendo is trying to subconsciously force us to buy the next version of the handheld which will include a second circle pad and a matte surface for the 3D screen.

Lieutenant Commander of the Lesbian Love Brigade
There can only be one, like in that foreign movie where there could only be one, and in the end there is only one dude left, because that was the point.

bro2dragons

I may be in the minority here, but I personally haven't had a problem with it at all. In fact, I think it adds a lot to the overall look and appeal of the console. That's just me, though.

“I am a brother to dragons and a companion to owls." Job:30:29

Nintendo Network ID: bro2dragons

Jono97

: I never have trouble looking at it except when I am outside in the sun...

Not extremely into nintendo at the moment, but not really into anything else either. :|

3DS Friend Code: 4854-6640-5759 | Twitter:

Joeynator3000

No issues with mine either besides with the sunlight, then again...I don't think anyone would like to play games in the sunlight anyways. (could barely see DS games on the DSi, lol)

My Monster Hunter Rise Gameplay
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLzirEG5duST1bEJi0-9kUORu5SRfvuTLr

Discord server: https://discord.gg/fGUnxcK
Keep it PG-13-ish.

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/c/Joeynator3000

Chris720

I can barely play games outside, I have to be indoors and far away from windows to see the screen properly, otherwise it's basically a coloured mirror. Playing the 3DS outside in the sun is annoying as hell, but at least it's alright when you're somewhere dark. :3

Do wish the screen wasn't so reflective though, some times I can see my own reflection more than I can see the actual game. I just have to crank up the brightness at which point it makes it a little better but only lasts 2 hours. e.e

Origin: chrisd1080
Steam: Chris720
Battle.net: Chris720
uPlay: Demonic720
YouTube

Nintendo Network ID: Chris720 | Twitter:

Burning_Spear

I use the Hori protector that covers the whole top face, and I've had no problem with glare or reflection, though I haven't played outdoors.

Mechabot Ultror Fights Again

sugarpixel

I dunno, maybe it's just me, but I've never had any gripes with nintendo products...
I like the 3DS just the way it is. It beats my DS lite, anyways.

Twitter | ko-fi | YouTube | Backloggery

Add me on Nintendo Switch! SW-5806-7479-1875

Switch Friend Code: SW-5806-7479-1875 | 3DS Friend Code: 3394-4319-1146 | My Nintendo: FlutterBug | Nintendo Network ID: Fluttershy_Gioku | Twitter:

komicturtle

This is why I'm hoping they go with a Matte finish. I don't care about my 3DS looking expensive looking- I personally can't stand glossy-shiny gadgets. Especially if they're made of glass..

komicturtle

tagz

Well sometimes, at sunlight or direct light source behind me. I have to make the brightness level to 5.
I hope next 3DS will fix this.

3DS FriendCode : 4382-2086-6015

• Page 1 of 1

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.