Showing 1 to 12 of 12
1. Posted: Wed 8th Jun 2011 20:54 BST
I'm planning on connecting my 3DS to the internet for the first time tomorrow to get the software update and download some stuff from the eShop, but I have some questions I was wondering if anyone could answer:
1. How long does the update take? I don't have wi-fi at home and neither does anyone I know, so I'm going to have to go to CEX and use their wi-fi to do it, as I have done to download DSiWare in the past, but I don't want to be standing around in the middle of the shop waiting for it for too long!
2. Some people got error messages when trying to update, I'm guessing because of high server load. Has that been sorted out yet?
3. How long do games tend to take to download from the eShop? I was planning on getting Link's Awakening, Excitebike and Pokedex 3D but, again, I don't want to be standing in the shop downloading them for too long.
4. Has anyone had any problems since updating? I know it's always a possibility and it was suggested a while back that the BSoD could have been caused by that first update they put out. I never updated and have never had a BSoD - I don't want to start now!
I was hiding under your porch because I love you...
2. Posted: Wed 8th Jun 2011 21:01 BST
1. It takes about 10 minutes, I think. I just closed my 3DS and opened it later, finding I had the update. If you want, you could just do that, stick it in your pocket and browse the store.
2. It should be sorted out. I never got a message till I tried to enter the shop. Eventually it quit, but it took me a good 10-20 tries.
3. it takes 2 1/2 - 5 minutes, I didn't really time it. Thankfully, the rush is now mostly over.
4. The only real problem I have is that it's very picky about how far away from the access point you are. I mostly have this problem at night when I try to get on, but it's very few and far between (and usually happens 3-4 pages "down")
I hope this helps!
Edited on Wed 8th June, 2011 @ 21:12 by Buob
Previous works, Princestians, (Chapter 5 is on hiatus)If anyone wants to talk to me for any reasonFaves:PC: BL2PS3: [url...
Nintendo Network ID: buob-san
3. Posted: Wed 8th Jun 2011 21:12 BST
@NFreak - The update/download speed depends on your signal strength. When I downloaded Pokédex 3D and Excitebike, my connection strength was very strong and the two combined downloaded in about 5 mins, and that's somewhere near 50 MB of data, a huge improvement! Additionally, there are 10 E3 trailers Nintendo uploaded to the eShop, and those are all roughly 150-250 blocks in size (Pokédex/Excitebike were both near 180 blocks), so you should definitely settle in to looking like a weirdo for awhile. Oh, and if you're transferring DSiWare titles, that'll take forever as well.
4. Posted: Wed 8th Jun 2011 21:14 BST
Oh, and if you're transferring DSiWare titles, that'll take forever as well.
rolls eyes don't get me started! That experience was worse than pulling teeth! I'm Glad the eShop is 20% faster, and cooler XD
Edited on Wed 8th June, 2011 @ 21:14 by Buob
5. Posted: Wed 8th Jun 2011 21:16 BST
Additionally, there are 10 E3 trailers Nintendo uploaded to the eShop, and those are all roughly 150-250 blocks in size (Pokédex/Excitebike were both near 180 blocks), so you should definitely settle in to looking like a weirdo for awhile.
Can you download the trailers? I assumed you could only stream them.
6. Posted: Wed 8th Jun 2011 21:23 BST
No, they're downloadable ... IN 3D!!!!!!!!!!!!
7. Posted: Wed 8th Jun 2011 21:24 BST
That makes them better XD (seriously though, it does) Though the DSiWare ones ARE streamed, the E3 videos are not
Edited on Wed 8th June, 2011 @ 21:24 by Buob
8. Posted: Wed 8th Jun 2011 21:24 BST
Yes you can
3DS Friend Code:0688-5251-4891
9. Posted: Wed 8th Jun 2011 21:31 BST
1. The update time depends on the WiFi connection. I think it took my five minutes, maybe seven.2. Yes.3. I'd say it was pretty quick.4. No problems that I've noticed.
Nezumi | 2664-2185-3229 | Backloggery
10. Posted: Wed 8th Jun 2011 22:37 BST
Wear headphones so you can hear the download process, and do as suggested about closing your system and browsing the place so you don't feel conspicuous standing there waiting.
Nintendo Network ID: iphys_eh
11. Posted: Wed 8th Jun 2011 22:43 BST
Closing it while downloading won't disrupt the update, then?
12. Posted: Wed 8th Jun 2011 22:50 BST
I never tried it while updating, but it definitely works for downloading games and videos, so I would suspect it should.