Forums

Topic: Pop Culture Refs in Animal Crossing: New Leaf

Posts 121 to 140 of 141

WinterWarm

theblackdragon wrote:

Morphtorok wrote:

Nibelilt wrote:

If you shake a tree, a beehive might fall out. This is obviously a reference to the fact that bees live in beehives, which are on trees.

Dude, that's obviously a refference to that one movie where Nicolas Cage dies.

You both fail. Beehives and bees falling out of trees in this game is obviously a reference to the 1991 coming-of-age film 'My Girl', where Macaulay Culkin dies of a bee sting and Anna Chlumsky has her first period. A true classic.

Has sniff her first period? Bee stings? Coming of age?

Oh, I fear I must shield my eyes.

Bulletproof and black like a funeral.

Intelligent Systems' obsession with rear ends:

"I fear my derriere is not worthy." - Frederick, FE:A

"My uncanny valley begs for reprieve." - Tharja, FE:A

Fates Castle Address: 06963-63228-71096-84460

3DS Friend Code: 3652-1038-9901 | Nintendo Network ID: WinterWarm | Twitter:

3DSAllDay

[quote=Nibelilt]

WhoBeThat wrote:

theblackdragon wrote:

Morphtorok wrote:

If you shake a tree, a beehive might fall out. This is obviously a reference to the fact that bees live in beehives, which are on trees.

You both fail. Beehives and bees falling out of trees in this game is obviously a reference to the 1991 coming-of-age film 'My Girl', where Macaulay Culkin dies of a bee sting and Anna Chlumsky has her first period. A true classic.

Nope you are all wrong because in the game Hydlide if you bump into a tree bees will come out of it and attack Jim the Knight.

3DS Friend code- 5455-9467-1956.

Ketchupcat

[quote=Morphtorok]

3DSAllDay wrote:

Nibelilt wrote:

WhoBeThat wrote:

theblackdragon wrote:

Nope you are all wrong because in the game Hydlide if you bump into a tree bees will come out of it and attack Jim the Knight.

Sorry, but you're wrong too. Nintendo is known for throwing in clever nods to their games in each new game. The bees appeared in the obscure Gamecube title, Animal Crossing. Since that game was, surprisingly, a success, Nintendo decided to make multiple spiritual successors to the game. Coincidentally, each of these happened to also be titled "Animal Crossing", hence the need for subtitles. They decided to do quite a bit of fanservice by bringing back a recurring villain from the original, Bee. They even had him encountered and defeated in the exact same way as the original, so players who grew up battling the evil forces of Bee could know just what to do when stumbling across some of his minions.

My Colors! 3D Gallery: http://colorslive.com/author.php?id=98143
"You forgot your mayonnaise."-Squidward

3DS Friend Code: 4124-5371-3115 | Nintendo Network ID: keithmc2

KingBoo01

[quote=theblackdragon]

Musterd wrote:

Morphtorok wrote:

3DSAllDay wrote:

Nibelilt wrote:

WhoBeThat wrote:

Sorry, but you're wrong too. Nintendo is known for throwing in clever nods to their games in each new game. The bees appeared in the obscure Gamecube title, Animal Crossing. Since that game was, surprisingly, a success, Nintendo decided to make multiple spiritual successors to the game. Coincidentally, each of these happened to also be titled "Animal Crossing", hence the need for subtitles. They decided to do quite a bit of fanservice by bringing back a recurring villain from the original, Bee. They even had him encountered and defeated in the exact same way as the original, so players who grew up battling the evil forces of Bee could know just what to do when stumbling across some of his minions.

Which in turn is a referance to super mario galaxy, in which mario can get a bee suit. Super Mario Galaxy is an obscure low budget indie game, that ripped off Star Trek.

clash of clans; faded witches 2
Currently own: Gamecube,Wii,Wii U,PSONE,PS2,PS3,Game & Watch Ball,Gameboy,Gameboy Micro,White DS Lite,DSI,Mario edition DSI XL,3DS, NOOK Tablet,Xbox 360,HP Laptop(excellently plays Steam games),Nook HD,iPad Air,iPhone 4s,PSP 3000,Sony Vaio, and Desktop...

3DS Friend Code: 0860-3284-5329 | Nintendo Network ID: Piplup22301

KingBoo01

Also, Jelleyfish are a referance to the famous tv show, Squidward the friendly ghost. Everyone's favorite frycook, Squidward has deal with that jerk cashier, Spongebob.

clash of clans; faded witches 2
Currently own: Gamecube,Wii,Wii U,PSONE,PS2,PS3,Game & Watch Ball,Gameboy,Gameboy Micro,White DS Lite,DSI,Mario edition DSI XL,3DS, NOOK Tablet,Xbox 360,HP Laptop(excellently plays Steam games),Nook HD,iPad Air,iPhone 4s,PSP 3000,Sony Vaio, and Desktop...

3DS Friend Code: 0860-3284-5329 | Nintendo Network ID: Piplup22301

Kinsale

when you first start the game, a talking cat asks you questions about your personal information. This may seem like a reference to the supreme court system in which questions are asked, but is actually nintendo's way of teaching kids not to talk to strangers.

Who are you running from? (?_?)/
someday there will be a cactus pokemon, that is actually good.
(O vvv O)/ add me if you want to play KI:U, or ACNL, OR Pokemon
I make a lot of typos, so expect many of my posts to be edited

3DS Friend Code: 3866-8031-2017

sageyheart

i remeber the VERY first animal crossing. It was a... Gamecube game? Im probably wrong.

I'm 13, I have Kid Icarus, I love to swapnote, im almost always online ( especially @ nite)
Add me!: 4940-6479-4769.

Eel

sageyheart wrote:

i remeber the VERY first animal crossing. It was a... Gamecube game? Im probably wrong.

Very wrong! It was originally released only in Japan for the Play Station One under the name "Tanuki! Tanuki! The Great Forest of the Happy Animal Spirits". It then got ported to the Game Cube under the name "Animal Crossing".

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

KingDunsparce

Morphtorok wrote:

sageyheart wrote:

Very wrong! It was originally released only in Japan for the Play Station One under the name "Tanuki! Tanuki! The Great Forest of the Happy Animal Spirits". It then got ported to the Game Cube under the name "Animal Crossing".

And it was such a terrible port. It was basically a downgrade to the original. Nintendo doesn't even count the GameCube port as a game and still looks forward to the day they can come close to the PS1 original masterpiece.

"I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!" ―Cave Johnson
Join the Chit-Chat Crew! :P

3DS Friend Code: 2938-6384-0441 | Nintendo Network ID: Pikminsi

PuzzleMaster7

Untitled

WARNING

If you have ever mistreated any of your villagers, then heed my warning. If at least one of your villagers has become self-aware, and I mean just one, then run for the hills! Eventually, the rest of the animals will follow suit and conspire a revolt against you. In the end, when your rule as mayor has been finally overthrown, the town hall is demolished and a barn later called "The Manor Farm" takes its place. Eventually, things become so terrible that the game itself becomes corrupted and the title is renamed, "Animal Farm: Napoleon Reigns."

This whole scenario, in case you couldn't figure it out, is an obvious reference to the most popular, best-selling game of 2001, "Animal Crossing: Population Shrinking."

Edited on by PuzzleMaster7

There is no puzzle without a solution!

3DS Friend Code: 4055-4399-6605 | Nintendo Network ID: ThePuzzleMaster7

Big_Boy_Chubs

KodyWB-98 wrote:

Untitled

WARNING

If you have ever mistreated any of your villagers, then heed my warning. If at least one of your villagers has become self-aware, and I mean just one, then run for the hills! Eventually, the rest of the animals will follow suit and conspire a revolt against you. In the end, when your rule as mayor has been finally overthrown, the town hall is demolished and a barn later called "The Manor Farm" takes its place. Eventually, things become so terrible that the game itself becomes corrupted and the title is renamed, "Animal Farm: Napoleon Reigns."

This whole scenario, in case you couldn't figure it out, is an obvious reference to the most popular, best-selling game of 2001, "Animal Crossing: Population Shrinking."

dear mother of god!!!!! o:

tumblr's better...

-Kurt Cobain
X&Y safari: Fire; Charmeleon; Ninetales; Growlithe

3DS Friend Code: 4441-9172-6626 | Nintendo Network ID: BigBoyChubs

mystman12

If you wait a year without playing, you're villagers will call you a "necromayor", and then they will form an angry mob and burn your house down.

I like makin' games!
Future Pinball games!
Petit Computer games!!
and SmileBASIC games!
Waiting for Kirby Air Ride 2. One day, it will come. One day...

3DS Friend Code: 0259-0292-5888 | Nintendo Network ID: mystman12 | Twitter:

New_3DaSh_XL

After downloading a limited time item from the Post Office or opening your gate/search for towns with their gates open, Pelly or Porter, respectively, will say, "Sorry to keep you waiting!", which is a reference to Kid Icarus: Uprising. This could be because Pelly and Porter have the same first letter in their name as Pit and Palutena.

Edited on by New_3DaSh_XL

8 Bit Forward
My Bio, by True_Hero, and

3DS Friend Code: 2578-3165-4977 | Nintendo Network ID: NintenDash | Twitter:

LyIa

...THREAD OF THE YEAR, FOLKS!

all men are kings 👑

mystman12

IN HONOR OF THE THREE DAY ANNIVERSARY OF TOMODACHI LIFE (Which is in itself a reference to a Japan only game called Tomodachi Collection- Clearly a rip-off of the REAL thing) AND THE FACT THAT IT'S E3 TIME, NINTENDO IS ANNOUNCING TEN OFFICIAL POP CULTURE REFS NEVER BEFORE DISCOVERED BEFORE!!! OFFICIALLY!!! Here they are, folks!

-1. The game has fireplaces in it. This is clearly a reference to Little Inferno, a game that takes place in front a fireplace. If the fireplace is all you have in your house, you will start receiving strange letters.

NO, SERIOUSLY REAL SPOILERS IF YOU HAVEN'T PLAYED LITTLE INFERNO YET!!!! To top it all off, if you place a fireplace, sunglasses, a firefly, the most magnet-like item in the game, all while Kakkun is visiting your house, your house will explode!

-2. The game has plank flooring. This is a reference to the Nintendo Life deserted island getaway, because all of the crew members used a plank for transportation.
-3. The game purposely doesn't celebrate your town's 1 year anniversary. This is a reference to Veggie Tales, in which Jimmy and Jerry Gourd's 1 year anniversary of hosting the show was also purposely not celebrated.
-4. Jack is a walking, talking pumpkin. This is a reference to Pumkin World, an online English teaching website, featuring anthropomorphic pumpkins, which created some of the world's greatest games, from Hungry Pumkin (Also referenced because you eat in a similar fashion to the hungry pumkin) to The Fruits Game (Also referenced because the game has fruits). It's wonderful to see refs to such forgotten classics that defined gaming forever.
-5. The game allows you to use a map. This is definitely a reference to Link: The Faces of Evil, because Gwonam gives link a MAP. He then asks you "Where do you wish to go?", which is what the maps in New Leaf do.
-6. There is a villager named Apple. If you give her an apple when she requests some fruit, she will eat herself instead, and the apple you intended for her to eat will replace her. The apple will never leave and eventually start planting apple trees all over town. These trees will sprout more live apples until your whole town is over taken in living, monster apples. In order to stop them from spreading any further, you will need to blow up your entire town. This then, is a reference to Little House on the Prairie, since, in the last episode, they blow up the whole entire town.
-7. You may have noticed how the game has a Mario hat, Luigi hat, and Wario hat, but no Waluigi hat. This is a reference to Mario Kart 7, because Waluigi was not in that game.
-8. If you fill your house with balloons, it will float away, and you will have to play a short adventure game where you must protect an endangered species from a crazy old man. You will lose your house, but you will also come back with a little yellow gremlin who will bother you for the rest of your life, even if you wipe all the data on your game's cartridge. This is a reference to the Disney/Pixar film, Down.
-9. The game has a lot of letters and numbers hidden throughout. This is a reference to two Nintendo 64 masterpieces, Elmo's Number Journey and Elmo's Letter Adventure. If you can find all the letters and numbers, you will be awarded with a wonderful fireworks show!
-10. The big One Oh, folks! If you do every single solitary possible thing on your game file, the screen will fade to black, and "10 years pass..." will come up on the screen. Then you will see your house, in shambles, surrounded by huge futuristic, yet dark looking buildings, and all your villagers circled around it. They will say "He was a good guy, but after he did everything... I guess he was bored, and thought there were better things to do, in his dreams?.?!?. Thankfully, everything he did allowed us to become self sustaining, and now, with the knowledge he left us, we've been able to build this high tech utopian empire. The last thing standing in our of finishing is... his house."
"But he's still in there! can't we tell him to come out first?!"
"NO! WE CANNOT DO THAT!!! He will disrupt the plan. Our plan is how ten villagers should live for the next 100 years, not 11! And don't even think about rebelling from the plan ever or else you will get The Punishment! In fact, you weren't even supposed to interrupt my speech, and now I'm twenty seconds behind schedule, so I hereby charge you with TWENTY SECONDS OF THE PUNISHMENT!"
"NO, PLEASE NOT THE PUNISHMENT I CAN'T TA-" Your favorite villager gets dragged away by whoever ran your police station
"Now, without further ado, we shall burn his house down."
After this, all of the villagers, excluding the one who got "The Punishment", will set your house on fire. Your cartridge will then self-destruct. (Simulating in-game permadeath) This will also blow up you 3DS. Thankfully, Nintendo offers a replacement program for this. 3DS XL users get a replacement 2DS, 3DS users get a replacement DSi, and 2DS user get a replacement GameBoy Advance Micro.

So, there they are, ten fresh new refs! Anyone else found any that STILL haven't been discovered?

Edited on by mystman12

I like makin' games!
Future Pinball games!
Petit Computer games!!
and SmileBASIC games!
Waiting for Kirby Air Ride 2. One day, it will come. One day...

3DS Friend Code: 0259-0292-5888 | Nintendo Network ID: mystman12 | Twitter:

zoeycat

Can You get flip note on the 3ds now?

zoeycat

Drawdler

If you look at the ground, you may notice grass. This is a reference to The Legend of Zelda for Wii U, where grass originated.
Untitled

Pikmin is an item you can get from the Nooklings' store. They originated in a game called Pikmin. Pikmin themselves are cute creatures with flowers, leaves or buds on their antenne. In Animal Crossing, the Pikmin are planted inside a flower pot.

The fact they're in this game, even though they're characters from Pikmin, is an obvious reference to the film Wreck-It Ralph where characters trying to take over another game are "Going Turbo". The Pikmin are just hiding inside their flower pot and intend to take over New Leaf- they've Gone Turbo.

Edited on by Drawdler

Myland's Dream Address: 6500-2329-0504 | darkSpyro | Ghostroaster | Reddit

3DS Friend Code: 2191-7661-4611 | Nintendo Network ID: Nibelilt

Sparx

Can't believe nobody got this one yet:

This game is made by NINTENDO and you live a LIFE.

A clear reference to this site

My avatar is from here

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.