Forums

Topic: Pop Culture Refs in Animal Crossing: New Leaf

Posts 101 to 120 of 141

mystman12

If you fill your house with as many pinball machines as possible, while wearing a bowl cut, and then press one of the pinball machines, you will here Zuess say "Triple Jackpot!" This is a reference to Riven: The Sequel to Myst, because it also contain's insane easter eggs like this.

By the way, I don't know if anyone has called this, but the game has grass, a reference to Chicken Run and how Rocky tries using the "Grass is Always Greener" metaphor. Further evidence is that the game has chickens. And you can name yourself Tweety. And, sometimes you will find your chickens converting their house into cannons. I haven't tried it yet, but I bet something awesome happens if your name is Tweety, and your town only has chickens! Can someone confirm this?

I like makin' games!
Future Pinball games!
Petit Computer games!!
and SmileBASIC games!
Waiting for Kirby Air Ride 2. One day, it will come. One day...

3DS Friend Code: 0259-0292-5888 | Nintendo Network ID: mystman12 | Twitter:

Eel

One of the animals may tell you it's playing a new game where you have your own town and house you can customize, but you need to take care of a bunch of needy animals too.

That's an obvious reference to the pc game "The Sims", since sims are humans and humans are animals, and they're very needy.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

Gregor

The game has a museam which is a painfully obvious reference to the movie Night in the Museam. It also has an owl in the museam, which is a reference to the owl in Dr. Doolittle.

It's a fez. I wear a fez now. Fezes are cool, just like bowties.

3DS Friend code:
2664 - 3151 - 1828
Multiplayer centric games I own:
Animal Crossing New Leaf
Luigi's Mansion Dark Moon
Fire Emblem Awakening
Kid Icarus Uprising

Gregor

In the game there are explorer clothes you can wear. This is a reference to Indiana Jones, which was a movie made just to reference Tomb Raider. Also in the game is a pink poodle which is a reference to the cult following cartoon courage the cowardly dog as he is a dog and he's is pink which is a reference to the pop music artist Pink. The pelican phillyis in the game is a reference to wind waker in which the bartender on windfall island tells you that people turn less friendly at night which is an obscure reference to Minecraft as in that game monster come out at night to attack you. This is a reference to the old movie Frankenstein, as that movie contains a monster. New Leaf also has a doctors mask, which is a reference to to Surgeon Simulator 2013 which has received the award for best controls in video game history, this is a reference to the 3D Bubsy the Cat platforming game, which was the previous holder for this award. Animal Crossing also has balloons, which reference the movie UP as that movie has balloons in it as well. In fact for further evidence if you collect all of the balloon furniture and fill your house with it it will float into space with you in it. This is a reference to Star Trek as it is set in space. There are two brands of medicine in the game, the kind that you buy from the store and the kind the villagers give you. This is a reference to the 1-800 CONTACTS comercial where a man is distraught that other people have HIS BRAND because he has "special eyes".

Edited on by Gregor

3DS Friend code:
2664 - 3151 - 1828
Animal Crossing New Leaf
Fire Emblem Awakening
Kid Icarus Uprising

Tobiaku

The two rainbow thing in this game is a reference to pokemon mystery dungeon gates to infinities double rainbow

Tobiaku

3DS Friend Code: 1977-0291-4355

PuzzleMaster7

If you turn the television on exactly at 3:33 A.M. on Sundays or Mondays, a wild alien will appear on the screen.

If you couldn't figure it out, the alien is a reference to "E.T. The Extra Terrestrial." It's obviously saying, "We come in peace," in gibberish.

Edited on by PuzzleMaster7

There is no puzzle without a solution!

3DS Friend Code: 4055-4399-6605 | Nintendo Network ID: ThePuzzleMaster7

Chris720

Fusion14 wrote:

Ahem. Back to the subject matter. All of the villagers in your town are quite simple and laid back. This is a reference to the average American as they have identical IQ levels, values, and motivation.

Love it!

Gulliver says EarthBound references.

Untitled

Origin: chrisd1080
Steam: Chris720
Battle.net: Chris720
uPlay: Demonic720
YouTube

Nintendo Network ID: Chris720 | Twitter:

Gregor

KodyWB-98 wrote:

If you turn the television on exactly at 3:33 A.M. on Sundays or Mondays, a wild alien will appear on the screen.

If you couldn't figure it out, the alien is a reference to "E.T. The Extra Terrestrial." It's obviously saying, "We come in peace," in gibberish.

Dammit, that guy has a better TV than me! Speaking of which the fact that there are televisions in the game is a reference to an MTV show where celebrities show of their houses, which, more often than not, have many TVs in them. There are also no cars in the game, this is a reference to every pokemon game, as they all are devoid of cars. Semi-Trucks seem to be much more popular with the general public in those games.

3DS Friend code:
2664 - 3151 - 1828
Animal Crossing New Leaf
Fire Emblem Awakening
Kid Icarus Uprising

Gregor

Chris720 wrote:

Fusion14 wrote:

Ahem. Back to the subject matter. All of the villagers in your town are quite simple and laid back. This is a reference to the average American as they have identical IQ levels, values, and motivation.

Love it!

Gulliver says EarthBound references.

Untitled

Im already angrily mad and upset at this game enough as it is with its lazy developers, I've been looking all over the game for a Mother reference so at least we have that. Guess Ill have to make the Ness costume myself.

Edited on by LzWinky

3DS Friend code:
2664 - 3151 - 1828
Animal Crossing New Leaf
Fire Emblem Awakening
Kid Icarus Uprising

mystman12

I haven't seen anyone post this, so I will. This is a REAL reference! Sometimes, Gulliver will mention how great Isle Delfino is. This is a reference to Super Mario... TEACHES TYPING!!!! (Which is a reference to Typing Instructor, because both games require you to move your fingers.)

I like makin' games!
Future Pinball games!
Petit Computer games!!
and SmileBASIC games!
Waiting for Kirby Air Ride 2. One day, it will come. One day...

3DS Friend Code: 0259-0292-5888 | Nintendo Network ID: mystman12 | Twitter:

JunkosBoobies

In Animal Crossing: New Leaf,It is possible to catch Sharks. This is an obvious reference to Sharknado,When everyone saw sharks and Died.

Discord: JunkosBoobies#5379
Backloggery
MAL
DeviantArt
Avatar: Junko Enoshima (Danganronpa)

3DS Friend Code: 0447-7094-2346 | Nintendo Network ID: DeviousCrossing | Twitter:

3DSAllDay

Well since your mayor collects Mario items and gets to fight him in SSB4....im going to leave this here

Edited on by 3DSAllDay

3DS Friend code- 5455-9467-1956.

Philip_J_Reed

Kapp'n name is a reference to (and obvious truncation of) Captain N: The Game Master, a popular cartoon about a boy who gets sucked into his television set, and has to go on adventures with gaming icons, such as Mario, Sonic the Hedgehog, E. Honda, the Pong paddle, and Leisure Suit Larry. Every episode would feature a musical number (referenced in Kapp'n's songs) and a secret message that only dogs could read. The main character's catchphrase ("Your grandmother's house smells like garbage!") is also referenced in New Leaf, as it's a dialogue option you can sometimes choose after completing a public works project.

Philip_J_Reed

Twitter:

bezerker99

Philip_J_Reed wrote:

Kapp'n name is a reference to (and obvious truncation of) Captain N: The Game Master, a popular cartoon about a boy who gets sucked into his television set, and has to go on adventures with gaming icons, such as Mario, Sonic the Hedgehog, E. Honda, the Pong paddle, and Leisure Suit Larry. Every episode would feature a musical number (referenced in Kapp'n's songs) and a secret message that only dogs could read. The main character's catchphrase ("Your grandmother's house smells like garbage!") is also referenced in New Leaf, as it's a dialogue option you can sometimes choose after completing a public works project.

Most observant!! Aaaand with Captain N u have secured more WIN in this thread, good sir!

Klimbatize

When I saw this thread pop up a few days ago, I refrained from clicking it because listing obvious references from a video game sounded awfully dull and boring. Matter of fact, I was a little surprised it was created by REED because, I don't know, the whole idea sounded kinda lame.

When I logged on today and saw the thread had grown to seven pages in a matter of days, I was shocked. There couldn't possibly be this many references. The only explanation must be that AlexSays was lecturing someone about nothing important so I decided to find out what was going.

So glad I gave it a shot. I wish I had clicked on it earlier and joined in on the fun. Funniest posts I've read in a while, Phil. Brilliant. Made my day.

Edited on by Klimbatize

A person without a sense of humor is like a wagon without springs. It's jolted by every pebble on the road.

3DS FC: 1332 7785 4494

Happy_Mask

Once the café has been built you may obtain coffee from the owner, Brewster. Once you receive your beverage, you are advised to immediately drink it, but you may let it cool. If you choose the latter, Brewster will leap over the counter, piledrive you, then smash a chair over your head. This is a reference to the WWE, as anthropomorfic Owls also wrestle in that program.

When you go to Dr. Shrunk's comedy act, you may receive an expression after watching the show. This is a reference to the movie Zoolander, as people also make faces in the film.

During gameplay you may receive a letter from your mother. This is a reference to the popular your mother joke: "Your mother cares so much about you that she writes you frequently!". Frankly, I'm surprised there is such a vile reference in an otherwise family friendly game, but alas.

[16:08] LordJumpMad Hides his gut with a griddle
[16:08] Reala: what ljm does for cash is ljm's business
[16:08] LordJumpMad: Gotta look good my my next game u_u

3DSAllDay

You are able to catch sunfish which look like sharks before you catch them which is a direct reference to Revenge of the Sunfish for the PC.

3DS Friend code- 5455-9467-1956.

NightmareXIV

The Villager Agent S is a squirrel which is a reference to Secret Squirrel a kids show about a Squirrel that fights crime.

Earlier release petiton

https://www.change.org/petitions/nintendo-release-popular-games-in-america-sooner#share

3DS Friend Code: 1134-7192-3429 | Nintendo Network ID: NightmareXIV

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.