Forums

Topic: Pokemon Z

Posts 541 to 560 of 777

Blast

Tops wrote:

Blast wrote:

gabikun wrote:

Honestly, I'm still waiting for a pokemon game that looks like the last dragon quest (main and monster) games.

Just imagine: how cool would be to walk/run through a big place watching pikachus, caterpies, and such, roaming in the field like the last dragon quest games? Of course, when you touch them, a battle would happen, like in all games.

Cool idea but needs better execution. I think if the player is high up in the sky then some bird Pokemon should be flying overhead or sitting on top of buildings. Or if you're underwater then some water Pokemon should be seen at least. At least some recent Pokemon games actually lets you see the Pokemon you're using like Lapras with Surf in X/Y. You got to actually see Rhydon as you rode him in X/Y. I agree that stuff like that is cool because it builds up immersion.

And don't forget about seeing certain 'mon pop out of the grass with the DexNav. That's a start too. They really do need to run with that idea though and totally eliminate random encounters. Then we'd be living the dream

Random encounters are a staple in the series though, man. That's part of the adventure. That feeling of not knowing what Pokemon you just stumbled on is vital and special to the series. We can still have random encounters and pursue that level of immersion we want.

I own a Wii U and 3DS. I also own a PS4!

Master of the Hype Train

3DS Friend Code: 2921-9690-6053 | Nintendo Network ID: Mediking9

Eel

I'd say random encounters are a really big part of the Pokemon experience.

Seeing the monster before the battle works for some games, but it would feel out of place in Pokemon.

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

Araquanid

We seen games without random encounters, and those were colosseum and XD for the NGC. As you can see there is a severe lack of variety in these games, and even the pokespot mechanics were more annoying to keep checking on and hoping for the right mon.

Removing random encounters and keeping dexnav would pretty much defeat the purpose of any kind of exploration. The bad thing about dexnav is that it pretty much tells you what is there, making discovery a nonfactor in ORAS, which is gen 6's biggest flaw as the most discoverable thing is zygarde in x/y out of the two games. (Back in the old days, you could check the pokedex to find everybody's location, which was more explorative.)

What I'm just really interested to see, is what "Z" will have that neither X/Y or ORAS have. New pokemon, megas, battle frontier, yeah but I mean that differates in terms of dex expansion (xy already had a majority of the national), obtainable legendaries (oras had all of them, x/y had the missing 6, rest are event exclusive that actually got released over 6th gen), and new encounters on routes (ORAS's dexnav did that pretty much).

Maybe we'll see things in Z like access to the hall of origin and other event locations. Seems like in ORAS they tried lessening the ammount of event exclusives like deoxys, and even hoopa, an event pokemon, had a ton of cameo appearences via it's rings all over the place, pretty much throwing it's existance out there unlike other events where you never hear of them until their offical reveal/hacker.

Edited on by Araquanid

3DS FC: 0774-5098-1425
Pokemon Sun IGN: Joe
My Shinies
(User name changed in November 2016, MegaBeedrill)

3DS Friend Code: 0774-5098-1425 | Nintendo Network ID: FreakyMantis17 | Twitter:

Kylo_Ren

I don't get why so many people hate Kalos, I love it.

Kylo_Ren

Pokefanmum82

i don't hate it

Want: Harvest Moon: One World, Story of Seasons: Pioneering Town, Super Mario 3D World + Bowser’s Fury

Finished the Alola Dex.
Now playing New Horizons, Wrath of White Witch and Sword

VanillaLake

Well, I think it would be a good idea since Pokemon XY is two years old now.

I really don't like the navigation bar of Nintendo Life continuously reappearing while browsing!!

3DS Friend Code: 2836-0258-0952 | Nintendo Network ID: NNID-Fer

Bolt_Strike

Kylo_Ren wrote:

I don't hate it per se, but I think it's really bland and has a lot of flaws to it. I expect better than this.

Bolt_Strike

Switch Friend Code: SW-5621-4055-5722 | 3DS Friend Code: 4725-8075-8961 | Nintendo Network ID: Bolt_Strike

Seacliff

As a whole I find that Kalos is okay, but compared to Diamond/Pearl or Black/White which had more diverse yet themed areas, Kalos disappointed me just a little. There were some memorable towns, especially Lumiose city, but other towns just felt like bland filler and were absurdly small. Some towns didn't even 'feel' like France and were out of place. Not to mention some areas like the ice cave felt like they were just thrown in just to be there.

Seacliff

Tyranexx

Kylo_Ren wrote:

People hate Kalos? I personally really enjoy the region, it's my second favorite after Sinnoh.

Didn't realize this topic had fired up again, lol.

Currently playing: Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story + Bowser Jr's Journey, Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana (Switch)

"Love your neighbor as yourself." Mark 12:31

Blast

There were actually some places in Kalos that I liked:
Glittering Cave
Ambrette Town (mostly because the pacing in the game as you're going there was really great)
Shalour City
Sea Spirit's Den
Laverre City (just because it looks cool)
Lumiose City
Snowbelle City
Anistar City (GREAT TOWN MUSIC AND ATMOSPHERE)
Kalos Power Plant
Parfum Palace
Poke Ball Factory

Now here are the places in X/Y that I wasn't fond of because they are obvious Pokemon Z bait and were bland:
Terminus Cave
Couriway Town (huge tease because I originally thought we could visit a cool place from the railway)
Pokemon Village
Kiloude City (perhaps the biggest insult of them all. A post game town that is bland, boring, and a joke)
Chamber of Emptiness
Geosenge Town (there was a chance for this place to be epic but even the events that happened there couldn't keep this place interesting)
Coumarine City (another tease that led to nothing)

Basically... alot of hit or miss places I liked and didn't like in Kalos. Lol

Master of the Hype Train

IceClimbers

@Kinan: Not sure sales numbers are the best indicator. X/Y were the first of a new generation and the first games on new hardware since 2006, plus the first worldwide simultaneous release. They were bound to sell like crazy.

3DS Friend Code: 2363-5630-0794

AlliMeadow

X/Y is the worst selling original Pokémon games to date, so if sales numbers is something to go by, they are the worst. But popularity and quality is not necessarily linked, so it's a poor argument when debating which games is better.

Personally I enjoyed X/Y as much as any other entry, but I'd like an eventual Z to address some of the issues with the region design and plot. I'd also like to see Rhyhorn racing featured. It is teased at way too much. I also long for a good post-game area, like the one in Sinnoh or the Sevii Islands. Preferably with a Battle Frontier.

AlliMeadow

Nintendo Network ID: Alli-V-Meadow

KO-Cub

Blast wrote:

gabikun wrote:

Honestly, I'm still waiting for a pokemon game that looks like the last dragon quest (main and monster) games.

Just imagine: how cool would be to walk/run through a big place watching pikachus, caterpies, and such, roaming in the field like the last dragon quest games? Of course, when you touch them, a battle would happen, like in all games.

Cool idea but needs better execution. I think if the player is high up in the sky then some bird Pokemon should be flying overhead or sitting on top of buildings. Or if you're underwater then some water Pokemon should be seen at least. At least some recent Pokemon games actually lets you see the Pokemon you're using like Lapras with Surf in X/Y. You got to actually see Rhydon as you rode him in X/Y. I agree that stuff like that is cool because it builds up immersion.

Pokemon Ranger did it. All wild pokemon would just hone and attack you. So it's more plausible than you think.

AlliMeadow wrote:

X/Y is the worst selling original Pokémon games to date, so if sales numbers is something to go by, they are the worst. But popularity and quality is not necessarily linked, so it's a poor argument when debating which games is better.

The last time I saw the sales for Pokemon games, it's been decreasing after every main Pokemon game since Red/Blue(Or Green). I believe they'e still getting billions from the consumers but this has dropped quite drastically.

Wavedashes behind you Got some of dat Maylay?
FE Heroes: 0964602082

3DS Friend Code: 5343-9126-6120 | Nintendo Network ID: KOCub

AlliMeadow

KO-Cub wrote:

AlliMeadow wrote:

The last time I saw the sales for Pokemon games, it's been decreasing after every main Pokemon game since Red/Blue(Or Green). I believe they'e still getting billions from the consumers but this has dropped quite drastically.

Yes, I'm not claiming that XY has sold badly, because they are the bestselling game on the 3DS.

AlliMeadow

Nintendo Network ID: Alli-V-Meadow

Araquanid

I just found gen 6 in a general as a despressing generation.

This is hard to explain, but I really think the 3D environment took away the lively feeling that pokemon games have. I look at pokedex 3D pro and I think "Wow there are some pretty bright colors and cool looking models in here!" then I look at gen 6's models and realize how washed out and lame they are..

ORAS's overworld had a seemly bright tone to it, it wasn't as depressing and "dark" per say as X/Y, which always seemed like every day was a cloudy afternoon or everything is taking place pre tornado touchdown or something.

While looking at the sprites from BW or DP, I feel a bit more lively because of those vibrant colors. I feel more motivated to do things and see more things, but when I play X/Y everything just feels meh as the colors look the same.

Minor nitpicks:

• Your character is 3D; sounds stupid already.. but in an RPG, it's always been a tradition to have your character's facial expression be barren, or nonexistant. Take an example, earthbound ness with an adverage look.. no frown or smile, BW,DP,every other gen, no frown or smile. Doing this gives the player the option of role playing what their character is like. In X/Y they broke this rule and have your character smile constantly. I can't picture any of my characters smiling constantly. I felt less connected with my avatar than ever, because it simply wasn't my avatar anymore, it was the game's.
  • Online is, was, and probably forever will be cancer:
    Anybody that plays competitive knows what I'm talking about. Battle spot is unplayable, literaly EVERY team consist of talonflame, aegislash, greninja, kangashkan, lando-t, and filler. With VGC, switch greninja for cresselia, heatran, or thundurus. There is no variety what so ever. Even talonflame, which almost everybody I know runs, simply makes half the pokedex unviable, whcih banded variations OHKO'd anything with under base 80/80 defenses or that's bug/grass type. I waste team moveslots just to counter this thing, instead of using cool mons I enjoy because they can't live a hit. Oh whoops I'm ranting about the bird again.. anyway, point is PSS is just not fun anymore. Unless you're playing casual with guys you know on twitch or skype then you shouldn't be playing much at all. I still play mostly for shiny hunting and since I know a few guys who can reason with my standards of not using overcentralizing crap that takes creativity out of the game.

I hope I make sense on this as I really have no other way to explain this.. I'll just simply put I liked the sprite animation better from BW than the 3D models from gen 6. I can't say I hate gen 6, I mean, I do love megas (like three of them..) aegislash, clawitzer, zygarde (until this becomes the new cancerous mega rayquaza/primal groudon), and the wonderful shiny odds for shiny hunting, but it is a generation you can get bored of rather quickly and forget about.

It's really a matter of preference, and I feel like gen 6's preferences are pretty lack luster in comparison to previous titles, which felt more explorative than either X/Y or ORAS and gave players a sense of their environment as an RPG by letting them choose what type of character figure they are.

Edited on by Araquanid

My Shinies

3DS Friend Code: 0774-5098-1425 | Nintendo Network ID: FreakyMantis17 | Twitter:

Blast

@MegaBeedrill: What are some things you liked from X/Y?

Master of the Hype Train

Araquanid

@Blast: I have said it, increased shiny odds, DexNav, and a couple cool pokemon that I really like the designs of (aegislash, clawitzer, 50% zygarde, some of the megas like mawile, beedrill, absol) and that's pretty much it.

Soundtrack was ok too. Zinnia's theme (ORAS) and the legendary battle theme were pretty good. Rest of the soundtrack was eh, I liked it but it's not my type of theme. (anistar sounds great but it's not really upbeat.)

Otherwise I can't say much else. Character customization was cool too but limited to the point I actually forgot about it.

Edited on by Araquanid

My Shinies

-Green-

Why is it every time I come to this thread, we're always talking about Pokemon X and Y... -_-

"Enthusiastic Hi" (awkward stare)
Nintendo Switch Code: SW-5081-0666-1429
PS4 Thing: TBA

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.