Forums

Topic: Pokemon Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon discussion

Posts 801 to 820 of 988

Kimyonaakuma

@Araquanid I'm somehow becoming less and less interested in starting Ultra Sun now...

But I think XY is better than SM, but both don't really compare to the older games for me.
I remember enjoying most of the 3DS games during my initial playthroughs, the linear story and regions along with the lack of good post game is what has ruined it for me I think. I actually enjoyed ORAS, I preferred Emerald overall but I enjoyed it a lot more than the other Pokemon games on the 3DS.

I started with Gen 4 and it has most of what I love about Pokemon. BW was alright but I think B2W2 was much better. I'm more interested to see how the series will be on Switch at this point.

If they can mess up the eventual remake of the Sinnoh games then I'll be really concerned...

I seem to be invisible here, or maybe just ignored? Who knows...

canucksfan989

Feels like i'm encountering different Pokemon to start like Igglybuff on Route 4 and Smoochum in the cave on the first island

canucksfan989

Arcamenel

I guess that I am in the minority here because Im just as hooked on Ultra Sun as I am for any Pokemon game. They have done just enough that I feel like I'm getting a new experience despite being in the same place. When you talk about older games being better which ones exactly? I couldn't finish the vc yellow because it felt like such a step down from all the mechanics I've come accustomed to.

Derrick
3DS FC: 1693 - 1069 - 1732

Meowpheel

I haven't had much time to play, sadly.

One would think the weekend would be the best time to play Pokemon, but tell that to my family.

So far I've noticed some changes. This one features 80% less Kukui home invasion.

Edited on by Meowpheel

Meowph, that's right!

Oh look! A Morphloggery.
Oh! eShop Gurus.

3DS Friend Code: 0173-1330-0080 | My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

Bolt_Strike

Arcamenel wrote:

I guess that I am in the minority here because Im just as hooked on Ultra Sun as I am for any Pokemon game. They have done just enough that I feel like I'm getting a new experience despite being in the same place. When you talk about older games being better which ones exactly? I couldn't finish the vc yellow because it felt like such a step down from all the mechanics I've come accustomed to.

As far as VC Yellow and the question of which games are "better", what you have to keep in mind is that some of these games were good for their time but don't necessarily stand out today. It's not really fair to play Yellow and expect it to meet the standards of a fleshed out, full featured game in 2017 because games weren't capable of nearly as much in 1999 as they are now. This is also the issue with third versions in general, they were fine for their time but now that we have DLC they're not really acceptable by modern standards.

As far as what kind of game I do expect in 2017, for me to spend money on any revisit (whether it's third version, sequel, remake), I would want at least the following:

-An island's worth of new areas, complete with full routes and cities. A large part of Pokemon's gameplay is exploring the overworld and going to new places to find, catch, and battle Pokemon. If you're just spending the whole game retreading areas you've already visited that aspect of the game becomes a lot less fun. An island's worth is the bare minimum I'll accept as an expansion at this point in the series, and ideally there should be a significant amount of those as main game areas instead of just post game areas.
-At least 20 new forms/completely new Pokemon added to the game. Most third versions have taken to adding new forms and now even new Pokemon to its roster of natives to help shake things up, but when it's just scraps that show up only at certain points in the game they don't really make much of an impact. But if we see about 20 or more of them that's enough for them to show up prominently in important battles or to shake up wild rosters.
-Compelling, in depth side features to provide replay value. This has been a major problem with the 3DS era as a whole, it's been unwilling to add in extra features that you could get invested in for hours at a time. Aside from ORAS, which only added in the bare minimum of Contests and Secret Bases because they were prominently featured in the original, they haven't really provided these kinds of features, it's been more bite sized stuff.

Now as far as Pokemon as a whole, there's other issues with region design with them making linear regions with few side areas and putting in tons of roadblocks forcing you to complete the game in a very specific order. Region design closer to Sinnoh would be the best example from past regions but really I think the series needs to go beyond what they've done with previous regions. Eventually, I'd like Pokemon to be full open world, but that's not really feasible at this point (maybe 9th or 10th gen), but at the very least I'd want something more like Ocarina of Time in terms of region design. Full of large open spaces, plenty of places to run around in and explore, but still linear enough to be familiar.

Bolt_Strike

3DS Friend Code: 4725-8075-8961 | Nintendo Network ID: Bolt_Strike

Late

I'm at the Pokémon Center just before second trial. I think I'll play this at bit of a slower pace since it feels like it hasn't been long enough since I played Moon. I liked Moon a lot. I don't quite understand why most people are like "This is the greatest game ever!" while playing a new generation and after a month of finishing it, they're like "It was the worst in the series."

I like the small things they've done that feel a bit like side-quests. For example, the bottles with letters. They also made sure to tell about the things that open up after beating the kahuna this time around. I know so many people who moved from Melemele as soon as they could and never visited the shop with Gracidea flower, Adamant Orb, etc. or met the woman and Machamp in the cemetery. Speaking of the cemetery, I can't help but laugh when the Office Worker Jeremy says "When I come to the Pokémon cemetery... it's no good because I get so mournful." and then the battle starts and he looks like this:
Untitled

I programmed a simple tool that copies all Switch screenshots from an SD card and places them to folders according to the game:
Link

Switch Friend Code: SW-8287-7444-2602 | Nintendo Network ID: LateXD

Bolt_Strike

Late wrote:

I'm at the Pokémon Center just before second trial. I think I'll play this at bit of a slower pace since it feels like it hasn't been long enough since I played Moon. I liked Moon a lot. I don't quite understand why most people are like "This is the greatest game ever!" while playing a new generation and after a month of finishing it, they're like "It was the worst in the series."

Probably because the "greatest game ever" comments are knee jerk reactions to the changes and then when the game's over there's not much left to do and people are getting bored with the extra content.

Bolt_Strike

3DS Friend Code: 4725-8075-8961 | Nintendo Network ID: Bolt_Strike

Meowpheel

@Late I remember that guy and thinking the same thing.

Meowph, that's right!

Oh look! A Morphloggery.
Oh! eShop Gurus.

3DS Friend Code: 0173-1330-0080 | My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

YummyHappyPills

So the plan was to spend the time between the 17th and 1st on Pokemon and some backlog, before Xenoblade. Looks like that's not happening as Xenoblade will probably arrive first XD

Switch FC: SW-5242-2997-2115

Kimyonaakuma

So I've finally started playing this, not as much as would have liked to but I have things to do for school

I'm actually enjoying it more than I thought! I don't really remember every detail of Moon but Ultra Sun seems to be reasonably different. The opening act seems more streamlined and the world seems a little more "alive" with more Pokemon on the routes (Spinning with that Rockruff is weirdly addictive...) .

I know that the majority of the game is similar but it's actually making me enjoy the new parts more when they happen. The Mantine beach fits pretty seamlessly with the original area and was introduced nicely. Not gone far enough into the game to Mantine surf though, I've only just finished the first trial.

The Ultra Recon Squad seem cool, I'm hoping to battle them a few times instead of just following them around though. I was confused when they said that didn't have any Pokémon though, the trailers show them with a UB Adhesive (I don't know the actual name yet) but they don't seem to have them here. It seems unlikely that they just caught one or two in Alola...

Tsurii

So, which version did you guys get? I'm kinda torn still, because there's a bunch of exclusives in both that I want. If I know I can just trade with some (regular) users from here, I'd probably feel a lot better about that stuff. Don't want to deal with random people because the trading scene in Pokémon games has become pretty damn annoying. GTS is basically unusable at this point, for one.

What a beautiful signature.
Chew.

Switch FC SW-2755-1473-1221

Twitter, not like there's anything interesting on there

Kimyonaakuma

@Tsurii I went with the opposite of what I bought last time, so I have Ultra Sun. That way I'll have a Solgaleo and the exclusives from the original Sun.
I think the only Pokémon that I will miss out this way is UB Assembly, but I can live with that. I doubt I'll find someone to trade with because you need friends for that

Tsurii

@Kimyonaakuma actually, that's a good point. I still have Moon since I bought that digitally. I actually forgot my copy of Sun was still in my 3DS when that got stolen.

That settles it then.and now that I think about it more, no shinylock on UBs also means I'll get that lovely green-orange Buzzwole, if I go with Ultra Sun. A bit more research and a little less pseudo dementia and I could've decided that without help XD

What a beautiful signature.
Chew.

Switch FC SW-2755-1473-1221

Twitter, not like there's anything interesting on there

Meowpheel

I'll gladly trade exclusives with you two if you need to.

How many of the new UBs do we get per game?

Meowph, that's right!

Oh look! A Morphloggery.
Oh! eShop Gurus.

Meowpheel

Oh so that's only one of each (1 burst/assembly + 1 adhesive + 1 spoiler)... Or 2 burst/assembly + 1 adhesive?

Edited on by Meowpheel

Meowph, that's right!

Oh look! A Morphloggery.
Oh! eShop Gurus.

Kimyonaakuma

@Tsurii Glad that I could help! Sorry to hear that your 3DS was stolen though
I was going to buy Sun at some point but I never really had the money to buy a game that was so similar to one that I already owned, so I was happy that I had an opportunity to get the Sun exclusives.

That Buzzwole looks pretty cool! Some shinies don't look so good but the green kind of works.

@Meowpheel For real!? I've never had anyone to trade with before so that would be awesome!

I'll need a Buzzwole and Kartana but if there are two per game then I'll be happy to trade with anyone. Same goes for UB Burst.
The Ultra Wormhole legendaries are up for trade too if anyone wants them, except for Reshiram because I never had a game where I could catch one.

I've heard that it's 2 Burst/Assembly and 1 Adhesive, but 2 Adhesives would have been nice...

Edited on by Kimyonaakuma

Araquanid

2 burst/assembly and kinda forced on you rather then ultra wormholes.

The rest are ultra wormholes and they're respawnable, not sure if they mean you have an infinite supply or if you kill them they come back, but they emphasize they're respawnable.

poipole is 1 in the entire game also it evolves via level up knowing dragon pulse, one of those cases where you can miss its evolution accidentally

Edited on by Araquanid

3DS FC: 0774-5098-1425
Pokemon Sun IGN: Joe
My Shinies
(User name changed in November 2016, MegaBeedrill)

3DS Friend Code: 0774-5098-1425 | Nintendo Network ID: FreakyMantis17 | Twitter:

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic