Forums

Topic: Pokemon Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon discussion

Posts 381 to 400 of 532

IceClimbers

@Bolt_Strike Which game are we talking about here, Platinum or Ultra S/M?

The changes you described are no different between the two. The one exception being a half-***ed Battle Frontier.

The negativity over it being a 3DS game has subsided. That's a nonfactor. The negativity over it being Sun/Moon again will subside after more stuff is revealed, even if the stuff isn't really groundbreaking.

The game isn't gonna drop in sales by over 10 million copies like you're suggesting. That's delusional.

3DS Friend Code: 2363-5630-0794

Bolt_Strike

IceClimbers wrote:

@Bolt_Strike Which game are we talking about here, Platinum or Ultra S/M?

The changes you described are no different between the two. The one exception being a half-***ed Battle Frontier.

The negativity over it being a 3DS game has subsided. That's a nonfactor. The negativity over it being Sun/Moon again will subside after more stuff is revealed, even if the stuff isn't really groundbreaking.

Look more closely. There's a lot of people that were expecting BW2 levels of changes and getting sick of third versions. That kind of negativity isn't going away. BW2 had a profound impact on this fanbase and really raised the bar for this series, this just seems like a step backwards and the fans aren't happy about it.

IceClimbers wrote:

The game isn't gonna drop in sales by over 10 million copies like you're suggesting. That's delusional.

Delusional? Well let's see:

1st gen: 31.38 million (RGB) - 14.64 million (Yellow) = 16.74 million drop in sales
2nd gen: 23.1 million (GS) - 6.39 million (Crystal) = 16.71 million drop in sales
3rd gen: 16.22 million (RS) - 6.32 million (Emerald) = 9.9 million drop in sales
4th gen: 17.67 million (DP) - 7.6 million (Platinum) = 10.07 million drop in sales
5th gen: 15.64 million (BW) - 8.52 million (BW2) = 7.12 million drop in sales

Source: http://vgsales.wikia.com/wiki/Pok%C3%A9mon

New generations routinely sell around 15-18 million and third versions sell around 6 million. Under 5 million for an underwhelming third version no one wants is actually pretty realistic given this data.

Edited on by Bolt_Strike

Bolt_Strike

3DS Friend Code: 4725-8075-8961 | Nintendo Network ID: Bolt_Strike

DarthNocturnal

We're getting sick of 3rd versions? When the last 3rd version was in 2008/09?

Edited on by DarthNocturnal

"Sometimes, I just don't understand human behavior" - C-3P0

3DS Friend Code: 0430-8422-1116

Pokefanmum82

@Bolt Strike why are even in this forum if you don't plan on getting these games? There is enough negativity in the world without having to hear it from you. No one is forcing you to buy the games so enough already!!!!! We get it, you hate Game Freak!!!
Yes you can state your opinions but I think you've said enough already!

Want: Ultra Sun/Moon, Fire Emblem Warriors, Pokémon Gold/Silver, Mario Party Top 100, Atlus games, Psychic Spectres for the 3DS. For the Switch Super Mario Odyssey, Kirby Star Allies, and many others.
Playing Pokémon Moon, trying to finish the Alola Dex

BLP_Software

Lake of the Sunne/Moone is dry too.

That's...an interesting detail.

ALso those clouds bottom left seem to be shaping an island. Who knows. The big draw is the darkness over Poni Island

Switch FC: SW-5242-2997-2115

Discord: https://discord.gg/s8PjCh

I can't decide
Whether you should live or die
Oh, you'll probably go to heaven
Please don't hang your head and cry

Tyranexx

I think it's too early to judge Ultra Sun/Moon until we know more details. The lack of news up until this point has been disconcerting, I admit, but hopefully the information well ramps up again (Possibly a drip-feed of information up until release, going from past experience).

The negativity about Ultra Sun/Moon (and, really, any upcoming game) still being on the 3DS is complete BS, IMO. It makes sense to release the third version on the same system as the other two, and I can't think of a third version (or sequel versions in the case of BW2) in the Pokemon series that hasn't followed the same pattern. You risk alienating some fans who don't have a Switch for whatever reason as well as parents who don't want to grab a Switch just for little Patrick or Patricia to play the newest version of Pokemon when they already have a "perfectly good Pokemon game" on their slightly cheaper 2/3DS family system. It makes more sense to focus on the established install base in this case. Besides, it's already been confirmed that the Switch is getting its own main series Pokemon game.

My NL usage will be down a little from September 25-27. I'll be at a work conference.
Currently playing: Pokemon Sun, Earthbound Beginnings (Wii U VC)

Nintendo Network ID: Zelda_By_Night

BLP_Software

@Tyranexx Crystal was GBC only

Switch FC: SW-5242-2997-2115

Discord: https://discord.gg/s8PjCh

I can't decide
Whether you should live or die
Oh, you'll probably go to heaven
Please don't hang your head and cry

Tyranexx

@BLP_Software: Really? Interesting. I never knew the difference since I played everything on a GBC back in the day. I wonder why that was the case? The Pokemon animations? The Battle Tower? I can't think of a lot of graphical differences.

Untitled

Edited on by Tyranexx

My NL usage will be down a little from September 25-27. I'll be at a work conference.

Tsurii

@Tyranexx there weren't any graphical differences actually. Gold and Silver, like a number of other late Gameboy games, were programmed with the additional color stuff the GBC could do, so you'd basically have a GBC game that can be played on OG GBs (I think the Gameboy player could use those*"programed-in colors as well)
I think the only real difference in terms of tech stuff was that Crystal may be slightly bigger in terms of data.

Also...that stroke those two had about the sales earlier looks hilarious, too bad I wasn't around at that time.
Oh noes, two of the cities have photo studios. Pokémon never did that kind of crap, worst games ever. /s

Also funny how the first of those posts is pretty much what I want out of MHWorld, and it comes from the dude who keeps harping on my opinion on that pos. Awesome

Edited on by Tsurii

What a beautiful signature.
Chew.

3DS FC 4313-4260-0008

Tsurii

Oh, yeah also..
@BLPs the GBC was still basically just a Gameboy with some additional bells and whistles. It's closer to the New 3DS or DSi than an actual successor to the old Gameboy

What a beautiful signature.
Chew.

3DS FC 4313-4260-0008

Octane

@IceClimbers @BLP_Software I don't think the lakes have dried up. That's just the lighting. It's looks orange/brown, but 90% of the water is coloured that way. Plus, you can still see the little waterfalls.

The only big difference is that suspicious cloud on the bottom left. It's not there on the old Alola map, so maybe there's a new island. I think that cloud could hide a small island in theory.

All the differences I could spot are the Photo Clubs in Hau'oli and Malie City. New rock formations near Poni Breaker Coast, and a new building/trailer on the Secluded Shore.

Octane

Haru17

@Tsurii Monster Hunter shows new monsters every time it makes a trailer, five of which it first showed not 24 hours ago. I don't see what you're trying to say.

Anyway I don't care that USUM are on 3DS, and I wasn't one of the people screaming and crying even though I watched the typically slim announcement live. However, the game wasn't at E3 like they said it would be and E3 is long gone by now. The first real trailer they show for it shows the terrible looking timed exclusive orange version of a Pokemon that just looks like a wolf and boasts, of all things, that there are a few tawdry new character customization options. Come on. The only explanation I have for that is that they have nothing new to show except the story, because Pokemon games are normally lousy with trailers this close to release.

Edited on by Haru17

Capcom Nintendo Life Community Manager

Tyranexx

@Tsurii: I suppose I'd always assumed that all of the Gen 2 games were GBC-only, though looking at the cartridge designs now I can see that wasn't the case with Gold/Silver. Kid me didn't really care as long as I could play the games. XD Other than the Pokemon games, all the other games I had were GBC carts.

Like you, I've always considered the Game Boy Color to be more of the Game Boy's DSi/N3DS iteration.

I'm not bothered by the photo studio thing. I doubt I will use it much, but I'm sure plenty of people will.

Edited on by Tyranexx

IceClimbers

@Octane The water level has definitely dropped at least. There's a couple new beaches visible.

3DS Friend Code: 2363-5630-0794

Bolt_Strike

DarthNocturnal wrote:

We're getting sick of 3rd versions? When the last 3rd version was in 2008/09?

The older fans have played too many of them to want another one and the younger fans are used to different regions or games with larger changes like BW2 or ORAS. Plus the concept of paying an extra $40 for what's basically the same game is becoming less and less appealing in an era where gaming is getting more and more expensive, there's many other games to spend your money on, and DLC can accomplish the same thing at a lower cost. Third versions should've stayed in the past where they belong, if they want to sell us the same region over again they should either do sequels or DLC.

Haru17 wrote:

Anyway I don't care that USUM are on 3DS, and I wasn't one of the people screaming and crying even though I watched the typically slim announcement live. However, the game wasn't at E3 like they said it would be and E3 is long gone by now. The first real trailer they show for it shows the terrible looking timed exclusive orange version of a Pokemon that just looks like a wolf and boasts, of all things, that there are a few tawdry new character customization options. Come on. The only explanation I have for that is that they have nothing new to show except the story, because Pokemon games are normally lousy with trailers this close to release.

Actually, the trailers around this time tend to show more interesting stuff that actually It's usually around this time that we see a lot of interesting new mechanics and gameplay features, changes to the regions that make it worth exploring again, and new Pokemon/forms. Here they're promoting a recolor of Midday Lycanroc with a mohawk, a glorified selfie system, and a copy/paste of SM Alola that looks like it's been out in the sun too long. So yeah, those are some pretty big warning signs of not much to show.

Bolt_Strike

-Green-

The second version is also pretty bs imo, let alone a third one.

"Enthusiastic Hi" (awkward stare)
Nintendo Switch Code: SW-5081-0666-1429
PS4 Thing: TBA

Octane

@IceClimbers North-west of the first island, I did notice that. I don't think that's the result of thr water level dropping however. More beaches would become visible if that were true. I think that's just GameFreak adding a small new area.

Octane

DarthNocturnal

@Bolt_Strike

How do we know they still AREN'T in the past? We still need more info on US/UM to really even begin to draw any conclusions.

If they do end up being dual version third versions, then yeah, that would be pretty disappointing (a single 3rd version would suffice, and yeah, Game Freak needs to learn what “downloadable updates“ are). But I'm waiting to see more, lest all the complaining be for nothing.

"Sometimes, I just don't understand human behavior" - C-3P0

3DS Friend Code: 0430-8422-1116

Bolt_Strike

DarthNocturnal wrote:

@Bolt_Strike

How do we know they still AREN'T in the past? We still need more info on US/UM to really even begin to draw any conclusions.

If they do end up being dual version third versions, then yeah, that would be pretty disappointing (a single 3rd version would suffice, and yeah, Game Freak needs to learn what “downloadable updates“ are). But I'm waiting to see more, lest all the complaining be for nothing.

Again, because of the map. A BW2 style map would have a ton of new areas to show and other changes that would be immediately visible. We would know if there were new routes or cities. We would know if there were any other big new areas in the game (and no, the Pikachu trailer and the forest don't count as a big expansion, that's Emerald levels of expansion which is nowhere near what BW2 did). We would know if there were major changes to old areas, and in fact we already do know some, but not quite the major remix some people probably expected with the phrase "alternate universe". But the former are much more important towards the game feeling like a BW2-esque experience, and those are completely absent from this map.

Edited on by Bolt_Strike

Bolt_Strike

Haru17

@Bolt_Strike I meant 'lousy with trailers' as in there are a lot of them, not that the trailers themselves are lousy.

Capcom Nintendo Life Community Manager

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic