Forums

Topic: Pokemon Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon discussion

Posts 361 to 380 of 980

Bolt_Strike

BlueOcean wrote:

I want to ask a question. Am I the only one that thinks that the new Pokémon games are totally boring? I'm playing XY at the moment and it feels like a chore from start to end. You could say that I'm not a child anymore but I do enjoy other games so I'm not sure. I find the game complicated, boring, dull, tiresome, soulless and everything I do in the game feels like a chore. I liked the GBA Pokémon games, though.

Boring? Not quite. Shallow and dumbed down? Definitely. The recent games have been really cheap and lazy thanks to Game Freak's obsession with the mobile market and the quality of the games have taken a nosedive as a result.

Edited on by Bolt_Strike

Bolt_Strike

Switch Friend Code: SW-5621-4055-5722 | 3DS Friend Code: 4725-8075-8961 | Nintendo Network ID: Bolt_Strike

Tyranexx

BLP_Software wrote:

The story is up and down with terrible pacing.

After the first gym you have a huuuuuge gap meant to build bonds with your travelling friends (It doesn't work, they are far too one note and under developed) and introduce Team Flare, most of which wastes time, and Team Flare is only met at the tail end of that.

Then you go through the 2nd-7th gyms in quick succession. That break could have been placed so much better.

And the less we talk about Team Flare, the better.

That long gap was where Y nearly lost me. Pokemon games don't have award-winning stories, but I'm usually interested enough to keep going and want to know what happens next. I actually had to force myself to keep going at this part; while I'm ultimately glad that I stuck with the game for some of the better segments, the pacing could have been a lot better.

As for Team Flare? Worst team concept ever. Meeting Lysandre more or less announced "Hey! Hello! Crazy head of the evil organization of the week here!"

I'm in the middle of my playthrough of Sun and just got past the first trial on Ula'ula Island. So far the story is ticking all the right boxes with me, Team Skull is entertaining (I love how the game doesn't take them seriously), and the game is stunning. The only problem I've had with it so far is the excessive railroading during some parts.

Currently playing: Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story + Bowser Jr's Journey, Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana (Switch)

"Love your neighbor as yourself." Mark 12:31

Banjo-

@Araquanid Interesting impressions.

@shaneoh I haven't played Sun/Moon. Do you find them more boring?

@Tyrannex and yet you find Sun/Moon more interesting.

@Bolt_Strike I don't know the exact reason but XY feels more like a chore than any of the other games I play, but I haven't played many Pokémon games either, just Ruby. I was wondering if all Pokémon games were like XY with meaningless conversations and boring pacing.

Banjo-

Haruki_NLI

@BlueOcean No, XY definitely have the worst pacing. Some of the games are longer, but also pace it far better. XY is fairly middle length, but frontloads it heavily, then jumps about later.

Literally after the rather sudden introduction of Team Flare's actual plan (Which you only find out about once it starts after the 7th gym), it ends just as suddenly. You deal with em, and your "friends" genuinely chirp up with "Well, back to adventuring" and walk off.

Oh, and yeah. All the things Team Flare has been doing so far? Its all meaningless.

Stealing fossils to make money? Grunts need to pay 5 million to even join. And even then, they are backed by a huge company.

Stealing Pokeballs? They are rich! They have to be rich to even sign up!

Turning off power to Lumiose City? Bit stupid, as that's where their damn labs are!

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

Banjo-

@BLP_Software Hmm, okay. Now I know how the story ends. Not that I care that much, though.

Banjo-

Haruki_NLI

@BlueOcean The story doesn't end there. The actual ending later is heartwarming.

And you have no context for what happens. So you don't know anything beyond "It stops and starts like a car with no tires"!

Eel

@BLP_Software well, we could add some sense to those actions... For stealing and stuff, they simply are mostly a bunch of petty rich teenagers, so they can steal just for the heck of it. The money was used to build their doomsday device, for all we know the grunts themselves probably don't have much more than a fancy suit and red hair dye.

As for cutting energy to lumiose, it's is an effective distraction. Prevented too many people from entering the area where their lair is and gave them time to science all they wanted. They probably have their own generators too.

Stirring trouble also made Az go out of his hiding spot for them to catch him.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

Haruki_NLI

@Meowpheel Regarding what the money was used for...the weapon was already there. They just needed the legendary.

Eel

@BLP_Software not sure if you noticed the fancy high tech facilities built in secret underneath the town. And we didn't even get to see all of it, remember, they were planning to survive the nuclear fallout down there, so there must have been more to it than three chambers and two corridors. Also all the research and stuff they had to do for the weapon to work.

All that fancy magitek is not cheap.

Anyway, part of their plan also involved preserving some Pokemon for the new world, so collecting fossils and pokeballs makes sense... And stealing them makes it less suspicious than going and buying all of Kalos' stock for... Reasons.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

Araquanid

All I can add is

Whatever pokemon game that doesn't have SOS battles > sun and moon.

3DS FC: 0774-5098-1425
Pokemon Sun IGN: Joe
My Shinies
(User name changed in November 2016, MegaBeedrill)

3DS Friend Code: 0774-5098-1425 | Nintendo Network ID: FreakyMantis17 | Twitter:

IceClimbers

CoroCoro scans should be coming in soon. Also hope we get some info in the Direct on Wednesday.

3DS Friend Code: 2363-5630-0794

Tyranexx

SOS battles have been a mixed bag for me. I like the extra challenge, but I had a heck of a time catching a Bagon because of the "one Pokemon on the field only" rule. They aren't shy about summoning their friends. In hindsight though, horde battles operated in a similar fashion.

BLP_Software wrote:

The story doesn't end there. The actual ending later is heartwarming.

Precisely what I was getting at with "better bits".

Black/White 1/2 still take the cake for best stories, IMO. We'll see what I think when I'm finished with Sun.

Currently playing: Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story + Bowser Jr's Journey, Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana (Switch)

"Love your neighbor as yourself." Mark 12:31

Gekko7

Overall I'd say I quite enjoyed Sun and Moon, but I still prefer X/Y solely for the facts that the player outfits are more detailed and the characters are older. Seriously, I feel really stupid being a 23 year old guy playing with a 11 yo char.
But these are still minor details and most of us who enjoy competitive battles will all be playing the new games anyway.

Gekko7

BlackTalon

Anyone seen the corocoro leaks yet?

BlackTalon

BlackTalon

@Araquanid lol, well SOS battles do have a purpose, you get to catch hidden ability pokemon, like gale wings talon flame.

But yeah, its hard and burns a lot of time. I spent hours trying to get a gale wing talon flame, i did get one, but it was a male, i gave up after that.

BlackTalon

Araquanid

They didn't even add difficulty

They just added frustration, especially when you're just trying to catch something and instead you have another pokemon showing up every turn.

It would've been fine if they toned done how much it actually called allies, but the fact a battle can be dragged out unnecessarily long so easily is kinda dumb when it should take only 30 seconds to catch and run.

3DS FC: 0774-5098-1425
Pokemon Sun IGN: Joe
My Shinies
(User name changed in November 2016, MegaBeedrill)

3DS Friend Code: 0774-5098-1425 | Nintendo Network ID: FreakyMantis17 | Twitter:

Eel

Oh, actually, outside of a few instances starting out, I never really was in a situation where I didn't want a SOS to happen. If I just want the first pokemon, a quick ball usually does the job on the first turn.

I actually spent lots of time chaining SOS battles during my playthrough. I think, if they were less common, chaining them would be even duller.

The event snorlax remains my best SOS chainer. Having Hold back, yawn, and a strong move helps a lot... Just leave the desired pokemon with 1 HP, yawn at it, kill the helper in one hit, let the sleep status kick in (sleeping pokemon don't call for help!), and catch.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

Haru17

Yeah, SOS battles at least broke up the monotony of Pokemon. We need more of them and double battles. Maybe playing other RPGs or XD / Colosseum will teach the strategies to dealing with multiple enemies at once.

Don't hate me because I'm bnahabulous.

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.