Forums

Topic: Pokémon Sun & Moon - Discussion & Speculation

Posts 1,241 to 1,260 of 3,958

Haru17

I don't remember the story in White. Most of what I remember from that game was the coolish seasons feature and a whole bunch of connectivity functions that I couldn't use.

Don't hate me because I'm bnahabulous.

Eel

I found black and white to be my least liked games in the series, and the sequels to be some of my most liked.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

Haru17

Was the story in Black / White 2, then?

Eel

The games continue the story if that's what you mean.

But it's also taking itself a lot less seriously, and there's simply more variety and things to do overall.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

-Green-

BW's story left a bad taste in my mouth. It took itself far to serious, to the point where it felt like a different game to me, and in the end, it detracted from the overall experience in my case.

Anyways, I'm okay with trying to create an interesting story in a Pokemon game, but I'm not a fan of how BW tried to do it. It just came off as edgy and out of place, in my opinion.

Edited on by -Green-

"Enthusiastic Hi" (awkward stare)
Nintendo Switch Code: SW-5081-0666-1429
PS4 Thing: TBA

Maxz

I think the story of BW2 was that that dude's little sister's Purrloin got stolen. And then there were some splicers. Though I don't think they had much to do with the Purrloin.

I'm kinda torn on Gen 5 as a whole. On the one hand I admire its guts for having an entirely original roster through the main game and having such a bold story that really set it apart. But on the other, I actually wasn't a fan of a lot of the designs, and the Pokemon animation looked kinda ugly. But it certainly has burnt a sharper image in my mind than gen 6. XY just felt... wishy washy, even if there were some interesting Pokemon. I sort of admired BQ's clear sense of purpose, even if I didn't always agree with it.

My Mario Maker Bookmark Page
Spla2oon Ranks: SZ: X | TC: X | RM: X | CB: X
HAVE BEEN ENJOY A BOOM

Switch Friend Code: SW-5609-8195-9688 | Nintendo Network ID: Maxzly | Twitter:

Eel

The story in BW2 is:

Team Plasma is back and now they've just accepted they're evil so they run with that.

The villain wants o use Kyurem to freeze over Unova.

But it's actually just an act to make N come out of hiding, so they can kidnap his dragon friend and fuse it with Kyurem and then use it to dominate the world (or just Unova, idk).

The new Plasma executive (who was only helping Plasma to advance his research) is actually only interested in seeing which method can bring out the most out of pokemon, and in the end he decides he likes your style better than Plasma's, so Plasma is disbanded after you defeat Kyurem.

While all that happens, your friend is actually just helping you fight Plasma to find his sister's Purloin, who was stolen during the events of the first game.

He recuperates it, and even though it's now a violent Pokemon who doesn't recognize them, they're still happy.

Also, part of the original team plasma (the ones who weren't just doing it for evil) also help you every now and then.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

roy130390

Do you know what I won't miss if it doesn't return? Mr Bonding and his bonding time. It freaked me out when I talked to that weird looking guy in a pink suit just to hear that and then my screen going black...

Seriously, I hope he doesn't return.

Switch Friend Code: SW-3916-4876-1970

Araquanid

Haru17 wrote:

Untitled

Why... do you guys like this? I honestly want to know.

I mostly don't like the yellow / green scheme, but I also don't like how the first two are smiling, I don't think any of them are really snake-like to any significant or fulfilling degree, and I don't get what the flourishes are supposed to be.

I find them to have more personality and overall detail over any of the other starters. The body colors and patterns look very well drawn and the body style shape looks pretty good. They're not plain with just a bulb or a leaf on their head.. they actually look like somebody sat down and thought hard in designing them... unlike gen 2's starter who's pretty simple and basic.
Untitled

While the snake theme is a bit miss understood, I find that creative they did infact give them limbs so they're not just regular snakes.. if they were just snakes what could you really say about them special over seviper or arbok besides them being green. They stand out with the design choice.

With the smiles... firstly, only servine really smiles, thats about it.. ocassionally snivy can be artisticly displayed with a grin, but thats it, and secondly I'd welcome the smiling facial as it makes them look like sinistar snakes.

Just my silly, garbage, nobody cares, unfactual, dumb opinion that could get me stoned.

Like I'm guilty of accusing designs as bad, but everytime I see a meh design all I think of is dugtrio, magneton, execute, and electrode.

Edited on by Araquanid

3DS FC: 0774-5098-1425
Pokemon Sun IGN: Joe
My Shinies
(User name changed in November 2016, MegaBeedrill)

3DS Friend Code: 0774-5098-1425 | Nintendo Network ID: FreakyMantis17 | Twitter:

Araquanid

@DefHalan I think BW2 would've been a better experience for you. There's a lot more exploration, and hidden pokemon, finding hidden abilities, hidden moves, etc. To say the least there was a lot more to do and discover while BW was kinda.. it feels like not much is left after the league with a few things here and there to do to get the national dex finished (which is were x/y fell, you basically already did finish the national dex and there wasn't anything new that isn't repetitive)

My Shinies

3DS Friend Code: 0774-5098-1425 | Nintendo Network ID: FreakyMantis17 | Twitter:

Tyranexx

Gen 5 was hit or miss for me. On one hand I liked some designs (Snivy's line, Zebstrika, Scolipede, Krookodile's line, Zoroark, Cofagrigus, Haxorus, Hydreigon, Zekrom, and Genesect, to name a few), but there were some designs I disliked (Heatmor, Vullaby, Accelgor, Alomomola, Reuniclus, etc.). Every generation has Pokemon that I like and dislike, even Gen 1 (Why do Jynx and Mr. Mime exist?).

Overall I preferred Gen 6 to 5 since there were more designs that I liked out of the lot. Plus, they didn't go overkill with the monkeys. (IMO, monkey/ape Pokemon haven't been done right since Slaking in Gen 3).

Currently playing: Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story + Bowser Jr's Journey, Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana (Switch)

"Love your neighbor as yourself." Mark 12:31

DefHalan

@MegaBeedrill You may be right about B2&W2, but B&W took out a lot of the motivation of playing B2&W2. Thankfully Gen 6 was a lot better and gave the lots of opportunities to play how I want. Gen 3 is still the best Gen

People keep saying the Xbox One doesn't have Backwards Compatibility.
I don't think they know what Backwards Compatibility means...

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2786-9784 | Nintendo Network ID: DefHalan

FriedSquid

COFAGRIGUS! Yes! I completely forgot about that one, but it's one of my favorite designs. Ghost types have always had pretty solid designs now that I think about it.

Anyways, in regards to Snivy, I like it much more compared to the other two starters. I think it's a pretty unique design for a starter, a grass snake is pretty different and fits the typing well. I also think Serperior has a cool and elegant look which was probably intentional. I love the more generic Grass starters, like Bulbasaur and Chikorita, a lot as well. But I just think Snivy, and now Rowlett, are a nice change of pace for Grass starters. Wasn't a fan of Turtwig, though Torterra was cool.

Reading this thread has also really made me want to play BW2 — I probably would enjoy Gen 5 more if I gave it a shot.

Edited on by FriedSquid

Sav'aaq!
A Miiverse admin's first day on the job.
"Samus is under fire! She's sent an emergency directive! Join the fight!"
My Squidloggery

3DS Friend Code: 2320-6168-7289 | Nintendo Network ID: captainsquid

Haru17

DefHalan wrote:

@MegaBeedrill You may be right about B2&W2, but B&W took out a lot of the motivation of playing B2&W2. Thankfully Gen 6 was a lot better and gave the lots of opportunities to play how I want. Gen 3 is still the best Gen

I agree with... this entire post!

Untitled

Bolt_Strike

KO-Cub wrote:

If Gen 5 had good Pokemon and the greatest story (because it was the first they ever tried), then it's in no way 'worst' of the main series.

It takes more than that to make a good Pokemon game, and nearly every other aspect of the game ranges from mediocre to terrible. I also don't really think the Pokemon are that great, or at least collectively. Some of the more original ones are great, but so many of them are just riffing on Gen 1.

Haru17 wrote:

I don't remember the story in White. Most of what I remember from that game was the coolish seasons feature and a whole bunch of connectivity functions that I couldn't use.

The story had a couple of great twists that really bucked some of the conventions in the storyline and the evil team was much more of a threat than usual.

Team Plasma is actually successful in capturing the legendary and ends up using it to take control of the league and you fight them for the final battle instead of the Champion.

MegaBeedrill wrote:

@DefHalan I think BW2 would've been a better experience for you. There's a lot more exploration, and hidden pokemon, finding hidden abilities, hidden moves, etc. To say the least there was a lot more to do and discover while BW was kinda.. it feels like not much is left after the league with a few things here and there to do to get the national dex finished (which is were x/y fell, you basically already did finish the national dex and there wasn't anything new that isn't repetitive)

Yeah, BW2 really turned things around from BW1 and added a lot of content and features to BW2 and fixed the dex issue. The storyline did get worse, but everything else improved.

As for not having much to do, that's pretty much par for the course in generation debut games, it's usually the third versions and sequels that have most of the gameplay features and extra content. But XY was much worse than usual, at least BW1 had places to explore post game.

Incidentally, this is exactly why people are upset about skipping Z for SM, because Kalos really needs that revisit that really fixes the content issue and generally redeems the region. I think SM could be an exception to the rule because it's the 20th anniversary game and they've been working on it for a while, so it should be something special, but a hypothetical Z game would inevitably have more content than SM is going to.

Edited on by Bolt_Strike

Bolt_Strike

Switch Friend Code: SW-5621-4055-5722 | 3DS Friend Code: 4725-8075-8961 | Nintendo Network ID: Bolt_Strike

DefHalan

@Bolt_Strike it could be interesting if Z came out after Sun and Moon. Like they take a lot of the improvements of S&M and put them into Z plus the standard extras that you see in a 3rd game. Maybe?

People keep saying the Xbox One doesn't have Backwards Compatibility.
I don't think they know what Backwards Compatibility means...

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2786-9784 | Nintendo Network ID: DefHalan

Bolt_Strike

DefHalan wrote:

@Bolt_Strike it could be interesting if Z came out after Sun and Moon. Like they take a lot of the improvements of S&M and put them into Z plus the standard extras that you see in a 3rd game. Maybe?

Well considering Zygarde is going to play a role in SM, it may be too late. If SM doesn't include Kalos we may not be going back at all until it's time for remakes.

Bolt_Strike

Switch Friend Code: SW-5621-4055-5722 | 3DS Friend Code: 4725-8075-8961 | Nintendo Network ID: Bolt_Strike

Pokefanmum82

my favorite thing about Black/White & Black 2/White 2 was the dream world mechanic. I was really hoping that they would have brought that back. My favorite gen for story was fourth generation (platinum mainly). I liked going to the Distortion World.
I wonder what the english names for those two new Pokemon are going to be and I am really interested to see what news we get next month from Corocoro, since it's going to contain a Southern Islands Alola Guide that will contain all the important information on need for your journey.

Edited on by Pokefanmum82

Want: Harvest Moon: One World, Story of Seasons: Pioneering Town, Super Mario 3D World + Bowser’s Fury

Finished the Alola Dex.
Now playing New Horizons, Wrath of White Witch and Sword

FriedSquid

Well since Mimikkyu is a clever pun on 'mimic you' and 'Pikachu', I bet it won't be all that different. Probably something like Mimiku, or Mimichu. No idea about the pink bear though.

Sav'aaq!
A Miiverse admin's first day on the job.
"Samus is under fire! She's sent an emergency directive! Join the fight!"
My Squidloggery

3DS Friend Code: 2320-6168-7289 | Nintendo Network ID: captainsquid

Araquanid

Wasn't all the Japanese translations so far confirmed to be the same as the english translations?

My Shinies

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.