Forums

Topic: Opinions of PSP2 (NGP)

Posts 241 to 260 of 453

TrueWiiMaster

I don't know about your experiences, but I've never had any Nintendo device die on me except the NES. My brother and I have both had our original DS's for I think over 6 years. They've been played thousands of hours and dropped numerous times, but the closest thing to a problem with either of them is a few scratches on the touch screen. The same goes for all of the different Gameboys as well as the home consoles (except they were dropped significantly fewer times...). The PS1 we had, however, wore out, and my PS2 sometimes has trouble reading discs. The PS3, as far as I know, is built like a tank. It might break if it fell a few feet, but as long as it's cared for it will probably be okay. I've personally never owned a PSP, but my brother did. It didn't break, but he was more careful with it than anything else he ever owned because of how fragile it felt. I mean, when the disc slot opened it sounded like pie tins being thrown in the trash. It felt as though slightly overdoing it would break the system in half. The DS feels more hardy.

I won't start on the 360...at least not here...

I am the TrueWiiMaster! Those who call the Wii casual BEWARE!

Nintendo Network ID: WiiMaster

komicturtle

WaltzElf wrote:

I just think the problem is the aesthetic of some of the things Sony makes that looks nearly exactly alike to Nintendo's stuff (the 'flashcard' is an example).

And once again, Nintendo didn't invent a SD-card design, nor flash memory. If Sony is copying anyone, it's Canon, just like Nintendo did.

I'm talking about implementing that design in the game device. And how it looks exactly the same. DS CARDS don't look exactly like SD Cards. NGP Cards look more like 3DS Cards just with a curve.

I can go into specifics but it's obvious. And I'm not saying I have a problem with it. There are those who do. Nor have I ever said Nintendo didn't look to Canon for 'inspiration', or Sandisk.

I have no hate on the NGP because it's a waste. Competition only brings the best- well.. sometimes. But if NGP does what it should and if 3DS does what it should, then that only means that we'll see sweet games. But another factor is the developers. Lazyness sucks.

Now, if the NGP were to be released at the same time as 3DS, I'd side with Nintendo's handheld as I really don't have much faith in Sony when it comes to their handheld. I've seen no real effort in supporting their PSP and I partly regret even getting it. What happened to that whole 'Marcus PSP' thing they were talking about? I've only seen one of two commercials of that. Not that it was important to me personally, but the fact that they just 'gave up' on something they thought was going to be successful just shows how uninspired Sony has become with their little PSP. And the fact that Sony Cambridge still has not patched up LBP PSP properly and it's been a year. Let's not forget they claim to stop DLC and potentially updates for the PSP version. I'm kinda hoping Media Molecule takes over LBP PSP problems, but I know they're really focusing on LBP2 now.

This is one of the many reasons I'm not too sure about the NGP.
I just don't have much faith in Sony.

komicturtle

LzWinky

WaltzElf wrote:

Mickeymac wrote:

TrueWiiMaster wrote:

4. the generally lower quality Sony's portable hardware has been in comparison to Nintendo's

Say what? I've only known one PSP to die, and that was my brother's, and technology apparently hates him. I've know at least 3 DSes to die, though. Even my DS is starting to wear down and I need to upgrade quick.

Exactly. I've also had a Wiimote die, and a Gamecube implode. Meanwhile my PS3 chugs along without any signs of problems, and my PS2 still works after all these years.

Touch wood, naturally, but I think Nintendo's reputation for indestructable hardware is a thing of the past. That kind of thing is impossible now, and all three vendors make roughly equivilent-durability console hardware (RROD on the Xbox 360 aside)

Lucky dog. All of my Sony platforms experienced several problems

Current games: Everything on Switch

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

Bankai

lz20XX wrote:

WaltzElf wrote:

Mickeymac wrote:

TrueWiiMaster wrote:

4. the generally lower quality Sony's portable hardware has been in comparison to Nintendo's

Say what? I've only known one PSP to die, and that was my brother's, and technology apparently hates him. I've know at least 3 DSes to die, though. Even my DS is starting to wear down and I need to upgrade quick.

Exactly. I've also had a Wiimote die, and a Gamecube implode. Meanwhile my PS3 chugs along without any signs of problems, and my PS2 still works after all these years.

Touch wood, naturally, but I think Nintendo's reputation for indestructable hardware is a thing of the past. That kind of thing is impossible now, and all three vendors make roughly equivilent-durability console hardware (RROD on the Xbox 360 aside)

Lucky dog. All of my Sony platforms experienced several problems

Yep, you and others I know.

But really, that's my point - it's more luck than anything else. Some units from any company, given the technology of today, will fail. It's not like the days of the indestructable Game boy any longer

LzWinky

@Waltzy: I can understand my Nintendo systems breaking down from excessive wear-and-tear, but the Sony systems I own are simply defects in the design

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

LzWinky

zezhyrule wrote:

@lz: What all has happened to your PS3?

Nothing too serious just the occasional "I don't like your TV today" or it freezes quite often

zezhyrule

lz20XX wrote:

zezhyrule wrote:

Nothing too serious just the occasional "I don't like your TV today" or it freezes quite often

So the whole

lz20XX wrote:

All of my Sony platforms experienced several problems

was over exaggeration? :/

Edited on by zezhyrule

[15:36] Corbs: Vita rules - 3DS drools!

zezloggery | i haz youtube | PSN ID: zezhyrule

[23:11] Phoen...

LzWinky

zezhyrule wrote:

lz20XX wrote:

zezhyrule wrote:

So the whole

lz20XX wrote:

All of my Sony platforms experienced several problems

was over exaggeration? :/

Nope, both of my Sony platforms experienced problems. Same for my PS2, but again nothing really serious. Overall it's just problems that are frustrating in general

Slapshot

I've seen many problems with all the companies consoles. My brother is actually on his third Wii at the moment, and all from manufacturer defects. I've experienced issues with Sony and Microsoft consoles myself as well. It happens, you play the console to death and eventually it will die.

Back to the original post. NGP is a big hit on 3DS among older gamers. I know multiple guys in there mid to late 20s who had preorders on 3DS and have since cancelled them to preorder the NGP. I'm not saying that it will hurt 3DS and the system will fail or any of that nonsense, but I do think that 3DS was a draw back to Nintendo for many older gamers who in all the Wii casual nonsense that went on, moved on to other platforms, but the NGP announcement has once again turned them back to the other system once again.

For me, I'm buying both, but I'm much more excited about the 3DS than the NGP at the moment. I absolutely adore my DS(s), and Atlus is already fully on board the 3DS train, so bring it on!

3DS FC: 4382-2029-8015
All my News and Reviews in One convenient place!

My Nintendo: Slapshot82 | Nintendo Network ID: Slapshot82 | Twitter:

Moco_Loco

The NGP looks simply awesome and will definitely offer a first-rate handheld gaming experience. My biggest problem is that I don't really care for most of Sony's games, which is a personal taste issue. As a piece of hardware, it is absolutely gorgeous and designed perfectly for playing games.

Moco Loco
If you find yourself spiritually drifting (as I was for far too many years), remember that Jesus can and will walk across the water to reach you and bring you back to shore.

SpentAllMyTokens

It seems that Sony/Nintendo systems have about the same amount of issues. Basically it seems if you buy any game system within a year after launch or so, you're playing Russian roulette with hardware failure. After that most of the kinks get worked out. Most of the Wii/PS3 complaints were with launch models. The DS Lite shoulder buttons seem perennially finicky though. Hopefully that issue is fixed with the 3DS. I'm sure both systems will generally be reliable (insert predictable, overworn stab at Microsoft here).

I am way too lazy to think of something clever.
My Backloggery

bboy2970

They'll probably be reliable unless they go down the same road as Microsoft with their huge 360 failure rate! LOL!! ( predictable, overworn stab at Microsoft inserted! )

My backloggery: http://backloggery.com/bboy2970

gatygun

Btw some info about the NGP:

OP add it to your title if you want.

CPU: quad cored a9 vortex processor ( 4x cores ) each cloaked at 800mhz which equals 1,6ghz atom processors ( each core is 2x as fast as the iphone 4 )
GPU: 128vram ( dedicated )
GPU : Quad cored PowerVR SGX543MP4+ GPU ( means 4 cored overclocked from the standard 200mhz )
GPU : cloaked from 200-400mhz. ( 200mhz throughput 133million polygons, 4gb fillrate | 400mhz ~270million polygons, 8gb fillrate )
GPU: each gpu core has 4 pipelines = alot faster then the older 2x pipelined version used in the samsung "fastest mobile atm". which result in 16 pipelines in total.
GPU: supports 32 bit and 16 bit color paterns + filtering
GPU: has 4x FSAA filtering
Memory: 512MB fast DDR2 atleast ( Dev kits got 1GB ) so its between 512-1024mb
Battery: 4-7 hours confirmed. ( which probably equals 3DS battery time ) rumor atm, 2x 2700mah batteries combined.
Weight: Lesser then PSP Go.

Edited on by gatygun

gatygun

bboy2970

All those specs sound great and all, but that is EXACTLY why this thing is gonna be priced sky high! It simply packs too much not to be. The ONLY way the NGP isn't gonna be priced beyond success is if Sony takes a big loss on every unit sold. However, I did read somewhere that Sony specifically said they wouldn't be losing money on each NGP sold so...I really don't see how this device is gonna be anything below 400 bucks.

My backloggery: http://backloggery.com/bboy2970

gatygun

bboy2970 wrote:

All those specs sound great and all, but that is EXACTLY why this thing is gonna be priced sky high! It simply packs too much not to be. The ONLY way the NGP isn't gonna be priced beyond success is if Sony takes a big loss on every unit sold. However, I did read somewhere that Sony specifically said they wouldn't be losing money on each NGP sold so...I really don't see how this device is gonna be anything below 400 bucks.

Didn't know that you worked at the R&D department of sony.
I wouldn't be suprised if this thing is costing exactly teh same if not 50 euro higher "only" then the 3DS.
From latest reports the iphone 4 only costs about 170 dollar to create for example. Which has more hardware going on then the 3DS already. Besides that, last reports noted that the 3DS got sold to shops for 171 dollar. this means that the 3DS probably costing on hardware level around the 100 euro ( i wouldn't be suprised if that actually is lower then that. Nintendo needs to make a huge profit it on it.

Even 3x more costing 3DS hardware could still be sold without a loss for under the 300 dollar/euro.

Sony can even throw in a loss, because handhelds isn't there main business. Therefor 300 dollar or even 250 dollar would make a hell lot sense to me?

Edited on by gatygun

gatygun

TrueWiiMaster

@gatygun-
I'm pretty sure the iphone costs more than that to make, because not even Apple employees can get a discount on an iphone. If they were selling them at double the cost of making them, I think they'd allow their own members to get at least a little off the top. Besides, according to what you say the NGP has about 8x the processors of the iphone. Such technology would cost ALOT more than what the iphone has. I'm not saying 8x more, but maybe 4x or 5x. Add to that the fact that the NGP also has possibly up to a GB of memory, and 3G, and a MUCH larger screen, and all of the stuff that makes it a PSP. Even starting at $170, it would almost definitely be over $300, and I'm still pretty sure it's starting at closer to $300...Also, how can you be sure that the 3DS is so cheap to make? It does actually have new technology in it after all.

BTW, didn't know that you worked at the R&D department of Sony. I mean, how else would you know anything about their costs and pricing plans? It wouldn't be the first time Sony put out an outrageously expensive system after all.

I'm still expecting 2 models, 1 under $400 and 1 over. But, then again, I DON'T work at the R&D department at Sony.

I am the TrueWiiMaster! Those who call the Wii casual BEWARE!

Nintendo Network ID: WiiMaster

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.