Forums

Topic: Opinions of PSP2 (NGP)

Posts 221 to 240 of 453

theblackdragon

Mickeymac wrote:

You're thinking too hard about it. It's just a name, nothing more.

this. it's Sony's next-gen offering in terms of handheld consoles... you're reading way too far into it, TWM. :/

Edited on by theblackdragon

BEST THREAD EVER
future of NL >:3
[16:43] James: I should learn these site rules more clearly
[16:44] LztheBlehBird: James doesn't know the rules? For shame!!!

3DS Friend Code: 3136-6802-7042 | Nintendo Network ID: gentlemen_cat | Twitter:

TrueWiiMaster

It wasn't my main point anyway. Like I said, it might just be a personal annoyance. It was just my first thought when I learned what NGP stood for. I was just curious if anyone else felt the same way. That's why the original question was preceded by BTW instead of "did you know" or something like that.

I am the TrueWiiMaster! Those who call the Wii casual BEWARE!

Nintendo Network ID: WiiMaster

RoyalBlur

WaltzElf wrote:

It's a marketing gimmick to try to make the NGP stand out as being something elite.

It's hardly something new, nor is it an attack on Nintendo.

I hate the console wars but I have to admit that as a Nintendo fan it's a bit disturbing, shocking even to see a Sony NGP thread afloat in a section of a Nintendo Forum that is dedicated to the discussion of the Nintendo 3DS. Furtthermore it's annoying and offensive to the otaku heart of a Nintendo fanboy to see Sony actually trying to skew and murder the thunder of the incredible Nintendo 3DS with their suped up PSP but that's Sony for ya.

Anyway, I'm not going to join the camps of Sony vs. Nintendo nor more than I'd join the ranks of Star Wars vs. Star Trek as I enjoy them both although Star Wars is far more colorful than the latter. Yet, I shall say "Long live Nintendo".

Who is blind, but my servant? or deaf, as my messenger that I sent? who is blind as he that is perfect, and blind as the LORD's servant? Isaiah 42:19

My Youtube Page: http://www.youtube.com/user/royalusher

3DS FC: 2234-7146-6576

Twitter.com/ToyKoRedDawN

theblackdragon

@TokyoRed: the initial question is asking your opinion of the PSP2/NGP in relation to your plans regarding an eventual 3DS purchase. as such, this thread remains appropriate for the 3DS section of the forums.

BEST THREAD EVER

Bankai

I hate the console wars but I have to admit that as a Nintendo fan it's a bit disturbing, shocking even to see a Sony NGP thread afloat in a section of a Nintendo Forum that is dedicated to the discussion of the Nintendo 3DS.

Some people like talking about what else is out there.

But I agree this would be better in the Gen Gaming forum, given the way it's developed from the first posts. Hardly disgusting or disturbing, though.

Furtthermore it's annoying and offensive to the otaku heart of a Nintendo fanboy to see Sony actually trying to skew and murder the thunder of the incredible Nintendo 3DS with their suped up PSP but that's Sony for ya.

Sony is as "otaku" as Nintendo (though that is not something to be proud of). Furthermore, Sony is a company wth as much right to release a product as Ninte

One could also argue it was offensive for Nintendo to try and "win" E3 and steal the thunder from the other two by launching the 3DS. But that would be childish.

I think there is way too much emotion running through this thread. The NGP is just a console, guys. It's not like Sony's grabbed some guns and invaded Nintendo HQ.

Edited on by Bankai

theblackdragon

WaltzElf wrote:

But I agree this would be better in the Gen Gaming forum, given the way it's developed from the first posts.

believe me, if i could move this thread, i would've done so long before now since it's been reported/complained about to me in chat a few times already. if people aren't paying attention to the original post and answering the OP's question, though, that's not my problem, and i'm not about to kill this conversation and force it to start anew just because of where it is.

Edited on by theblackdragon

BEST THREAD EVER

Bankai

theblackdragon wrote:

WaltzElf wrote:

But I agree this would be better in the Gen Gaming forum, given the way it's developed from the first posts.

believe me, if i could move this thread, i would've done so long before now since it's been reported/complained about to me in chat a few times already. if people aren't paying attention to the original post and answering the OP's question, though, that's not my problem, and i'm not about to kill this conversation and force it to start anew just because of where it is.

No worries - I wasn't complaining anyways

Side note though - it's not possible to move threads on this forum? I thought it was I've learned my new thing for the day.

CanisWolfred

theblackdragon wrote:

@TokyoRed: the initial question is asking your opinion of the PSP2/NGP in relation to your plans regarding an eventual 3DS purchase. as such, this thread remains appropriate for the 3DS section of the forums.

Which reminds me, need tp get in the habit of reading the first post more.:/ Luckily I answered the OP's question without realizing it. I figured this was a general discussion topic. Oh well, next time.

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

RoyalBlur

@theblackdragon, no, I'm trying to suggest that you should close this thread. It's just like WaltzElf has pointed out though, this thread has gone through some bumps and lumps since the opening page. I also have no hard feelings against Sony PlayStation as a company. I enjoy both Nintendo and PlayStation, most especially the latter's LittleBigPlanet and Ratchet and Clank. Yet, I'm more of a Nintendo fanboy as I came in contact with Nintendo at a very early age and I've always had a very special fan connection with Nintendo.

Edited on by RoyalBlur

Who is blind, but my servant? or deaf, as my messenger that I sent? who is blind as he that is perfect, and blind as the LORD's servant? Isaiah 42:19

My Youtube Page: http://www.youtube.com/user/royalusher

3DS FC: 2234-7146-6576

Twitter.com/ToyKoRedDawN

TrueWiiMaster

@WaltzElf
Hey hey hey, a true otaku should have pride. Relatively few achieve such a ranking (particularly outside of Japan), and the Nintendo otaku stands proud atop a company that has existed for over a century. That said, I don't consider myself such an otaku. Alas, I don't have the time or will to study Nintendo 24/7...I haven't even beaten all of the Zeldas yet.

Huh. I actually didn't even know this thread was in the 3DS section. I just saw "Opinions of NGP" from the homepage as a recently updated thread and came to give as many cents as I could spare...huh.

Bankai

Hey hey hey, a true otaku should have pride. Relatively few achieve such a ranking (particularly outside of Japan), and the Nintendo otaku stands proud atop a company that has existed for over a century.

The vast majority of Japan feels pity, at best, for otaku. It's a derogitory word - like "loser" (more accurately "nerd," but unlike in the west, being a "nerd" isn't quite as fashionable in Japan, so "loser" carries the more accurate connotations). So really, if you are a fan of Japan, the last thing you'd want to be proud of is being otaku.

It's not a stand-in for "Nintendo fan," either. There are otaku who love Sony, or Sega, or Anime, or Manga. There are otaku that play Dungeons and Dragons, or Magic the Gathering. There are cat Otaku, or Disney Otaku. Otaku really just stands for the kind of sweaty, Coke-and-Doritos, socially-ackward nerd that exists within his/ her bedroom and is utterly obsessed with something, to the point where it's embarrasing for most other people.

In other words, it would be like a Japanese person coming to America and going around saying "Hi, I am a loser!"

I just hope those self proclaimed "otaku" realise that.

Edit - Just to clarify, I don't mean to offend anyone in here. I just worry that some people that like to go around calling themselves "Otaku", don't quite realise what they are, in effect, saying about themselves.

Edited on by Bankai

turtlelink

WaltzElf wrote:

The NGP is just a console, guys. It's not like Sony's grabbed some guns and invaded Nintendo HQ.

Thats what everyone is making it seem like.

TurtleLink's backloggery
Brawl FC: 4425-1340-4519
The Sister Complex Kingpin of Steel!

TrueWiiMaster

@waltzelf
I know the connotations of otaku in Japan, thank you very much, and though they may be looked down upon by the common public, they still champion their hobbies. I don't think you are entirely correct about otaku being synonymous with loser. It's a little more specific than that because it refers to basically to Japanese nerds. You, in Japan, wouldn't go up to the losers of a baseball game and call them otaku. But I don't live in Japan anyway, and so don't need to follow their social views. That, however, doesn't mean that I cannot use their words or meanings. In America an otaku is generally someone pretty much obsessed with something Japanese, usually the media. They should have as much pride as anyone heralding classic literature or cinematic culture. The people formerly known as nerds in America became some of the most successful people on earth.

P.S.- I never said otaku were exclusive to Nintendo. I just said Nintendo otaku should be proud of such a great and historic company.

Edited on by TrueWiiMaster

theblackdragon

can we get back to discussion of whether or not the appearance of the NGP will have you reconsidering your purchase of a 3DS and/or how you feel about the NGP in particular? thank you :/

BEST THREAD EVER

Bankai

TrueWiiMaster wrote:

@waltzelf
I know the connotations of otaku in Japan, thank you very much, and though they may be looked down upon by the common public, they still champion their hobbies. I don't think you are entirely correct about otaku being synonymous with loser. It's a little more specific than that because it refers to basically to Japanese nerds. You, in Japan, wouldn't go up to the losers of a baseball game and call them otaku. But I don't live in Japan anyway, and so don't need to follow their social views. That, however, doesn't mean that I cannot use their words or meanings. In America an otaku is generally someone pretty much obsessed with something Japanese, usually the media. They should have as much pride as anyone heralding classic literature or cinematic culture.

... Let's just not get in this debate, it's wayyyy off topic and would get heated pretty quickly.

lol. TBD beat me to it.

Edited on by Bankai

TrueWiiMaster

@theblackdragon
Sorry about that. Tangents come far too natural to me.

The appearance of the NGP will not, even slightly, alter my choice to buy a 3DS as soon as it becomes available to me. This is based on 1. the history of Sony portables lacking titles that appeal to me, 2. Nintendo's history of games that do appeal to me, 3. the inevitable price tag that comes with the technology used in the NGP, 4. the generally lower quality Sony's portable hardware has been in comparison to Nintendo's, and 5. 3D sounds far more interesting to me than portable PS3 graphics.

Edited on by TrueWiiMaster

Bankai

4. the generally lower quality Sony's portable hardware has been in comparison to Nintendo's,

Nintendo's DSi 'L' button broke for me.

My PSPGo has yet to have a fault.

To go back right to the original question - nah, I'll be getting both. Completely different consoles for completely different gaming experiences.

Edited on by Bankai

CanisWolfred

TrueWiiMaster wrote:

4. the generally lower quality Sony's portable hardware has been in comparison to Nintendo's

Say what? I've only known one PSP to die, and that was my brother's, and technology apparently hates him. I've know at least 3 DSes to die, though. Even my DS is starting to wear down and I need to upgrade quick.

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

Bankai

Mickeymac wrote:

TrueWiiMaster wrote:

4. the generally lower quality Sony's portable hardware has been in comparison to Nintendo's

Say what? I've only known one PSP to die, and that was my brother's, and technology apparently hates him. I've know at least 3 DSes to die, though. Even my DS is starting to wear down and I need to upgrade quick.

Exactly. I've also had a Wiimote die, and a Gamecube implode. Meanwhile my PS3 chugs along without any signs of problems, and my PS2 still works after all these years.

Touch wood, naturally, but I think Nintendo's reputation for indestructable hardware is a thing of the past. That kind of thing is impossible now, and all three vendors make roughly equivilent-durability console hardware (RROD on the Xbox 360 aside)

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.