Forums

Topic: Opinions of PSP2 (NGP)

Posts 181 to 200 of 453

LzWinky

I want to point out that it is good business practice to use an idea if it's successful, even if it may not be yours. UMD was pretty bad, and Sony noticed that carts work better. They didn't necessarily "copy" Nintendo, they just borrowed the idea and liked it. This is absolutely nothing new nor despicable

Edited on by LzWinky

Current games: Everything on Switch

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

R-L-A-George

Ravage wrote:

Mickeymac wrote:

Has everybody forgotten that UMD was a disaster? From ease of piracy to load times, to expensive manufacturing and draining the battery life, absolutely nothing good came of it. Switching to Flash carts is quite possibly the smartest move they could've made. They're not simply copying. They're switching to something that works.

That is very much correct...
But they did shape it very similar to a DS cart, which I believe is a mistake.

What if Sony and Nintendo, decided to work on an console together?

R-L-A-George

3DS Friend Code: 1075-1459-7893 | Nintendo Network ID: Osaka7524 | Twitter:

IanMage

R-L-A-George wrote:

Ravage wrote:

Mickeymac wrote:

Has everybody forgotten that UMD was a disaster? From ease of piracy to load times, to expensive manufacturing and draining the battery life, absolutely nothing good came of it. Switching to Flash carts is quite possibly the smartest move they could've made. They're not simply copying. They're switching to something that works.

They originally were going to work together and make the PS1, but Nintendo decided not to because they couldn't agree on how the revenue would be split between them.

Edited on by IanMage

3DS friend code: 1160-9727-7802
Wii U ID: ianmage1
I'm working on an animated feature film called "WhiteLand." Check out my progress: http://www.youtube.com/user/ianmage1

R-L-A-George

supernin10do wrote:

R-L-A-George wrote:

Ravage wrote:

Mickeymac wrote:

They originally were going to work together and make the PS1, but Nintendo decided not to because they couldn't agree on how the revenue would be split between them.

We'll never know, they actually might attempt that again...Plus they would still be in competition if they do it when they have equally popular consoles(Including handhelds) on the market. [So thats why the PS1 was grey]

Edited on by R-L-A-George

R-L-A-George

LzWinky

R-L-A-George wrote:

We'll never know, they actually might attempt that again...Plus they would still be in competition if they do it when they have equally popular consoles(Including handhelds) on the market. [So thats why the PS1 was grey]

Wut?

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

SuperMarioFan96

@Swerd_Murd OK I understand, but is it fair to compare a phone with something that's not a phone? It's not like the NGP is a cell phone. or is it?!

A better comparison would be the iTouch, which at the point is basically the iPhone without the phone, and starts at $229 for an 8GB version. Now, if Sony starts charging for 3G, then I suppose that makes more sense, but I don't know. I might just be crazy. Though I doubt Sony would ever price this thing at 599.

Side note off topic: 6 years ago if I reffered to something as "a phone without the phone" you would think I was crazy.

Anyway, discuss the NGP!!!!!!

"Oooh, yes I said it! I said it! I said it 'cause I caaan!"
My Backloggery

R-L-A-George

lz20XX wrote:

R-L-A-George wrote:

Wut?

Nintendo and Sony teaming up....That would be some powerhouse, Microsoft probably wouldn't last long.

R-L-A-George

Reala

R-L-A-George wrote:

Nintendo and Sony teaming up....That would be some powerhouse, Microsoft probably wouldn't last long.

The losers in that scenario certainly wouldn't be Microsoft protected by its billions, the losers would be gamers themselves for losing the competitiveness driving the industry, particularly in the handheld market doubt motion based gaming becoming the norm would have come so soon if at all hadn't Nintendo lost ground to Sony, it made them think outside the box and benefited gamers in general I think all thanks to healthy competition.

Reala

Bankai

Oh for God's sakes.

NINTENDO COPIED CANON BECAUSE IT ALLOWED PEOPLE TO USE SD CARDS IN ITS CONSOLE.

SD cards were previously used in cameras. OMG SO NOT ORIGINAL NINTENDO.

Edit: Before anyone takes that too seriously, I was being sarcastic, but making a point here - Nintendo is no more "special" when it comes to being innovative as Sony, or anyone else.

There's plenty of original stuff in the NGP - 3G, OLED screen, a hella-powerful handheld processor, dual analogue sticks. And Nintendo did not invent flash memory, so calling Sony out for "copying" Nintendo with that is both childish and incorrect.

Sony's come out with a good-looking, appealing console in the NGP. If you can't see that, then your loss, but I suspect those same people haven't seen what the PS Network can offer.

(plus, sorry but PlayStation One games > Gameboy games)

Edited on by Bankai

armoredghor

lz20XX wrote:

I want to point out that it is good business practice to use an idea if it's successful, even if it may not be yours. UMD was pretty bad, and Sony noticed that carts work better. They didn't necessarily "copy" Nintendo, they just borrowed the idea and liked it. This is absolutely nothing new nor despicable

It's not so much that they just copied them, it's when they do the same technique and act like it's their own original idea like when they unveiled the move. In press conference: "What if when you go to cast a fire spell in final fantasy, you actually moved the controller like you're waving a wand?" now that one just bugges me to this date.

armoredghor

LzWinky

WaltzElf wrote:

Oh for God's sakes.

Edit: Before anyone takes that too seriously, I was being sarcastic, but making a point here - Nintendo is no more "special" when it comes to being innovative as Sony, or anyone else.

There's plenty of original stuff in the NGP - 3G, OLED screen, a hella-powerful handheld processor, dual analogue sticks. And Nintendo did not invent flash memory, so calling Sony out for "copying" Nintendo with that is both childish and incorrect.

Sony's come out with a good-looking, appealing console in the NGP. If you can't see that, then your loss, but I suspect those same people haven't seen what the PS Network can offer.

Original? I think not

HolyMackerel

armoredghor wrote:

"What if when you go to cast a fire spell in final fantasy, you actually moved the controller like you're waving a wand?" now that one just bugges me to this date.

That bugged me too. No one in Final Fantasy uses a wand.

HolyMackerel

Reala

Copying isn't so much an issue as Sony's u-turn in regards to some of the tech they have now embraced, just makes them look a bit over cautious when it comes to innovation imo.

Reala

Bankai

lz20XX wrote:

WaltzElf wrote:

Oh for God's sakes.

Original? I think not

Feel free to point out another major, dedicated handheld console which features dual analogue sticks, OLED screen, 3G and a processor that powerful, then.

SwerdMurd

armoredghor wrote:

It's not so much that they just copied them, it's when they do the same technique and act like it's their own original idea like when they unveiled the move. In press conference: "What if when you go to cast a fire spell in final fantasy, you actually moved the controller like you're waving a wand?" now that one just bugges me to this date.

I haven't seen a single Wii game that even comes close to attempting this. Granted if Sony had said "What if when you go to cast a fire spell in final fantasy, you arbitrarily flick your wrist instead of pressing a button, so instead of creating a sense of immersion it simply removes the precision of an actual button press?" then I'd say "Yup--100% copy." I think the main point of that particular statement was to point out that the Move actually has the precision to pull off this type of gameplay mechanic.

-Swerd Murd

(check my tunes out at www.soundcloud.com/swerdmurd)

Reala

WaltzElf wrote:

Feel free to point out another major, dedicated handheld console which features dual analogue sticks, OLED screen, 3G and a processor that powerful, then.

Might not all be on a handheld but those things aren't really new to gaming, as much as I like dual analogs sticking them on handheld doesn't strike me as particularly innovative, still a nice addition though just not one to get all that excited about.

Edited on by Reala

Reala

Bankai

Reala wrote:

WaltzElf wrote:

Might not all be on a handheld but those things aren't really new to gaming, as much as I like dual analogs sticking them on handheld doesn't strike as particularly innovative.

You know, it's possible to be original and innovative without creating an entirely new technology.

It's just more subtle. The NGP is a whole host of new things to handheld gaming.

And if you want to think about it in another way - if you do consider the NGP to be just "improvements" on existing technology, then Nintendo is, likewise, unoriginal. 3D technology has existed for a long time, and Sharp came up with glasses-free 3D long before Nintendo. It's just that Nintendo discovered a commercially-viable way of shoving that technolgy in a handheld console. Touchscreens, too, existed a long time before the original DS. So really, Nintendo has just improved existing technology for its consoles.

Just like a certail OLED screen in a certain Sony console.

Edited on by Bankai

komicturtle

supernin10do wrote:

R-L-A-George wrote:

Ravage wrote:

Mickeymac wrote:

And because Sony wanted 'rights' to Nintendo's games. I don't blame Nintendo in backing out, but if they negotiated then we could have seen these two together.

I hear different and similar stories about the whole Nintendo Playstation deal...

Edited on by komicturtle

komicturtle

Slapshot

I think that a Dual Analog portable will be a much bigger deal than many realize. Call of Duty Black Ops made a Billion dollars in a month. Those fans that have the extra cash to afford a NGP will be purchasing it for Call of Duty. Online Shooters have been somewhat decent over the years without, but bringing the home console Call of Duty experience to a portable that can be played anywhere on the go will be massive.in itself for NGP. I think the one game alone will push the system into the millions of consoles sold.

3DS FC: 4382-2029-8015
All my News and Reviews in One convenient place!

My Nintendo: Slapshot82 | Nintendo Network ID: Slapshot82 | Twitter:

Bankai

slapshot82 wrote:

I think that a Dual Analog portable will be a much bigger deal than many realize. Call of Duty Black Ops made a Billion dollars in a month. Those fans that have the extra cash to afford a NGP will be purchasing it for Call of Duty. Online Shooters have been somewhat decent over the years without, but bringing the home console Call of Duty experience to a portable that can be played anywhere on the go will be massive.in itself for NGP. I think the one game alone will push the system into the millions of consoles sold.

I would also be very surprised if, around the time the NGP hits shelves, Sony hasn't announced PS2 games for download over the PSN.

So the 3DS, with its GB/ GBC games, will be up agains the NGP and PSOne/ PS2/ Dreamcast (or so we've been rumoured), Neo Geo games for retro downloaders. Hm.

The NGP also already has a massive library of comics and movies to draw on.

So yeah, I think people are being very premature to dismiss the NGP. It's going to have a very strong following, even if it is likely to be smaller than the 3DS.

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.