Forums

Topic: NWR's Top 10 3DS Titles! (Honorable Mentions Part 2!)

Posts 121 to 140 of 229

Retro_on_theGo

RR529 wrote:

Well, the top 3 will undoubtedly be 1st party titles.

They said that Mutant Mudds will be the highest ranked 3rd party title on their list, and described it as the kind of magical experience that will share the same hallowed grounds as Mega Man 2 & Super Mario RPG.

haha. Oh geez that's a funny joke. Those guys have an amazing sense of humor!

CanisWolfred

Retro_on_theGo wrote:

RR529 wrote:

Well, the top 3 will undoubtedly be 1st party titles.

They said that Mutant Mudds will be the highest ranked 3rd party title on their list, and described it as the kind of magical experience that will share the same hallowed grounds as Mega Man 2 & Super Mario RPG.

haha. Oh geez that's a funny joke. Those guys have an amazing sense of humor!

Tell me about it. Super Mario RPG a Magical experience? Too damn funny. XD

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

Chrono_Cross

If you think that's funny, they mentioned Mega Man 2 as well.

I'm about to ROFLcopter over here.

Edited on by Chrono_Cross

Just for you.
"I'm just a musical prostitute, my dear." - Freddie Mercury

Prof_Clayton

This list is crazy, showing how they don't have the best taste in games. Mutant Mudds 5th? I can see it closer to the bottom, but 5th... It really was a fun game, but short. If the list were based on how much fun it was with no care to time, Gunman Clive would be very high.
Another thing is that they have 3D land, LMDM, MK7 and TLoZ:OoT3D left, for 3 spots. That means one of them did not make it. If it isn't MK7 then this list is about as reliable as @SMEXIZELDAMAN~

Welcome to my signature.
8 Bit Forward Come check out our Forums, Game Challenge League, Reviews, Interviews and more! http://8bitforward.forumotion.com
The Great Wall of Backlog

3DS Friend Code: 4639-9581-0860 | Nintendo Network ID: Clayton17 | Twitter:

CanisWolfred

I have a strong feeling I'm never going to care about Nintendo World Report ever again after this.

...so nothing would change, really.

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

I-U

Ralizah wrote:

I-U wrote:

Ralizah wrote:

I'm sure Ocarina of Time 3D will be near the top of the list. That has got to be the most overrated game ever made, in all its forms.

If I wasn't giving original games bonus points, I wouldn't mind their top 3 being Luigi's Mansion Dark Moon, Super Mario 3D Land and Ocarina of Time 3D, leaving Mario Kart 7 out. The experience of Ocarina of Time is fantastic, one of the best on the system.

It's excellent, but there are far better games on the system, in my opinion.

Maybe a lack of nostalgia is to blame. Until 2011 I'd never even played OoT in any form.

I didn't beat Ocarina of Time until late 2012, and that was off of the 3D edition. I did play the N64 version before finally beating it though, but I wouldn't say I had the nostalgia levels of a person that played it when it actually released.

Prof_Clayton wrote:

Mutant Mudds 5th? I can see it closer to the bottom, but 5th... It really was a fun game, but short.

Short shouldn't even be a factor to their list. If a game gives me an amazing 8 hours worth to 100%, where as another game gives me an enjoyable 20 hours, I'm taking the former. Shorter, amazing experiences lead to replays sooner in my opinion, which will give the game more legs than a longer game.

Edited on by I-U

"The secret to ultimate power lies in the Alimbic Cluster."

SammyOfMobius

My guess:
3. Kid Icarus Uprising
2. Luigi's Mansion Dark Moon
1. Super Mario 3D Land

Games I'm playing currently: Legend of Zelda: A Link Betweeen Worlds, Tearaway
Games I'm excited for: Super Mario 3D World, Super Smash Bros. 4, Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze, Mario Kart 8
3DS Friend Code: 1719-3467-7677
Nintendo Network ID: SupaSamiStar14

kkslider5552000

CanisWolfred wrote:

I have a strong feeling I'm never going to care about Nintendo World Report ever again after this.

...so nothing would change, really.

My thought exactly.

CanisWolfred wrote:

Tell me about it. Super Mario RPG a Magical experience? Too damn funny. XD

Well it does have magic, IIRC.

Edited on by kkslider5552000

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

RR529

I'll guess that it's:

3. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D
2. Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon
1. Kid Icarus: Uprising

Although I wouldn't be surprised if Super Mario 3D Land replaces OoT3D.

With the four titles left I've just mentioned, I don't think Mario Kart 7 has much of a chance.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

I-U

Looks like KI:U, Super Mario 3D Land, Ocarina of Time 3D and Luigi's Mansion Dark Moon all have a shot at 9.5. I was under the impression that they reviewed Uprising low, like an 8.5. Dang.

Retro_on_theGo

RR529 wrote:

I'll guess that it's:

3. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D
2. Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon
1. Kid Icarus: Uprising

Although I wouldn't be surprised if Super Mario 3D Land replaces OoT3D.

With the four titles left I've just mentioned, I don't think Mario Kart 7 has much of a chance.

The list better end up like that or with Code of Princess as 3rd or this list will be-oh who really cares. It's just NWR...

I-U

Code of Princess reviewed an 8 on their site. I don't think it has a chance, though I'd take it over proabably all but Luigi's Mansion Dark Moon in terms of what's up for the Top 3. I had a lot of fun in the ~8 hours I played.

RR529

It won't be Code of Princess (or any other 3rd party title), because they've already said they thought Mutant Mudds is the best 3rd party effort on the system, and that the top 4 will be all Nintendo titles.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

Spoony_Tech

RR529 already said MutantMudds was the last 3rd party game.

@I-U If those are the score of those 4 games I don't see how one won't make this list which goes to show its all screwed up!

Ninja'd lol. Still can't believe that Mudds is the best 3rd party game lol. What a joke!!

Edited on by Spoony_Tech

John 8:7 He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone.

MERG said:

If I was only ever able to have Monster Hunter and EO games in the future, I would be a happy man.

I'm memory of @Mr_Trill_281 (rip) 3-25-18

Switch Friend Code: SW-7353-2587-4117 | 3DS Friend Code: 3050-7580-4390 | Nintendo Network ID: SpoonyTech | Twitter:

Ralizah

Optimist_Prime wrote:

Overrated is itself an overused term. Had you not said this:

[snip]

I would have taken you for a heretic.

It is, but it absolutely applies to Ocarina of Time. People treat it with a kind of reverence that I will never understand. The game has a lot of bad game design that keeps it from achieving its full potential.

rayword45 wrote:

From a completely objective standpoint, Ocarina of Time is far too flawed as a game to be the number 1 all-time game.

Poor design showing in the Water Temple is first, but OOT3D fixed that.

Still, we have the bizarre design choices (running being slower then backflips/sidejumps), the bad level design at times (not all of it, mainly Master Quest), annoying backtracking, etc;

And the main problem I have with the 3DS version is that by 3DS game standards it's not very pretty. They left so many areas untouched. Star Fox 64 3D did a much better job of upgrading the graphics.

I don't know, I thought the eye-poppingly cool 3D and revised character models made up for them leaving some dark, grungy dungeons untouched (if that is indeed the case). Everything I saw looked great, at least. Of course, the revision of Star Fox 64 was amazing as well. It's such a pity they didn't add online multiplayer to that...

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Advance Wars 1 + 2: Re- Boot Camp (NS)

Eel

If you think they left some parts untouched, you should go compare both games side to side, the 3DS version always looks 10 times better, even if it's not "up to the standards".

Also, I never had any problems with the water temple as a 9 years old kid who couldn't read english... I don't understand why so many people found it hard or annoying.

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

DarkCoolEdge

Morphtorok wrote:

If you think they left some parts untouched, you should go compare both games side to side, the 3DS version always looks 10 times better, even if it's not "up to the standards".

Also, I never had any problems with the water temple as a 9 years old kid who couldn't read english... I don't understand why so many people found it hard or annoying.

I did find it hard but not broken or designed poorly.
For me it is still a great game, every bit as good as it was in 1998 except that it doesn't surprise anymore (at least not me).

I said yesterday but I'll say it again: Mutant Mudds as the best 3rd party effort is a joke, a very bad one btw. New Super Mario Bros 2 in seventh is another one nearly as bad.

Currently playing: check my backloggery
http://www.backloggery.com/DarkCoolEdge

3DS Friend Code: 3265-5151-4824 | Nintendo Network ID: DarkCoolEdge | Twitter:

Prof_Clayton

I-U wrote:

Prof_Clayton wrote:

Mutant Mudds 5th? I can see it closer to the bottom, but 5th... It really was a fun game, but short.

Short shouldn't even be a factor to their list. If a game gives me an amazing 8 hours worth to 100%, where as another game gives me an enjoyable 20 hours, I'm taking the former. Shorter, amazing experiences lead to replays sooner in my opinion, which will give the game more legs than a longer game.

Did you finish my post? If the list were based on that, Gunman Clive would win by far because of an amazing 30 minutes of gameplay (in my opinion). I doubt they would place it there though, because the length of a game is pretty important. It even counts usually as part of a review score.

Welcome to my signature.
8 Bit Forward Come check out our Forums, Game Challenge League, Reviews, Interviews and more! http://8bitforward.forumotion.com
The Great Wall of Backlog

3DS Friend Code: 4639-9581-0860 | Nintendo Network ID: Clayton17 | Twitter:

I-U

For the most part, I tend to agree that Mutant Mudds is the best 3rd party effort on the system. It has the engaging level design, charming simple art style, easy to use controls, rewarding throughout (diamonds to Max's upgrades to Max's 100% to Grannie unlock to Grannie levels to secret ending), simple story to associate with (a gamer wanting to be a hero/protect their world) and a pretty nice chip tune soundtrack. There's been other 3rd party games I've enjoyed like Super Street Fighter IV, Dead or Alive Dimensions and Code of Princess; however, Mutant Mudds is the stand out and brought me in easily.

@Prof_Clayton
Mutant Mudds is much longer than 30 minutes, especially on first completion. I've yet to play Gunman Clive, probably should, but 30 minutes worth to just complete the game does sound like a situation of being too short.

Edited on by I-U

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.