3DS Forum

Topic: Nintendo Found Guilty of Patent Infringement for 3DS Technology?

Showing 61 to 80 of 95

AuthorMessage
AvatarAdmin

theblackdragon

61. Posted:

k8sMum wrote:

... we've all seen what you say in your last paragraph, some of us more as we're older. unfortunately, it is the only legal system in place at the moment. i also doubt there is much police brutality in patent infringement cases.

pretty much this. patent infringement is pretty cut-and-dry, no one's getting thrown into the clink or anything, nor were the police likely involved for any of the process. civil court isn't the same as criminal.

BEST THREAD EVER
future of NL >:3
[16:43] James: I should learn these site rules more clearly
[16:44] LztheBlehBird: James doesn't know the rules? For shame!!!
[16:44] Vintage: We have rules?
[16:44] Reala: don't expose the staff to sunlight, don't get them wet and don't feed them after midnight

3DS Friend Code: 3136-6802-7042 | Nintendo Network ID: gentlemen_cat | Twitter: theblackdragon

AuthorMessage
Avatar

SCAR392

62. Posted:

k8sMum wrote:

@scar: an honest question here: if this were a case against sony by a former nintendo employee...would you be using words such as 'misinterpretation', 'falsely accused', 'mistake'? i am not being snarky, i am really curious about it.

also: we've all seen what you say in your last paragraph, some of us more as we're older. unfortunately, it is the only legal system in place at the moment. i also doubt there is much police brutality in patent infringement cases.

It really depends what the case was, but there isn't one, so I rest my case.
Other than that, no comment.

$¢@®³’²

AuthorMessage
Avatar

CanisWolfred

63. Posted:

^ Applauds

Anyways, having read that he could've gotten hundreds of millions in royalties, I'm glad things turned out the way they did. As others have said, $30 Million isn't too bad, but $292 Million? Now that I think would've really hurt Nintendo.

Mecha Wolf Prime

Avid Fan of Anime, Webcomics, and Wolves
My Den - My door is always open....Too bad it's an empty closet.
My DeviantArt - I like to call it "the blank wall"

Wolfrun
Wolfrun Chibi
Scary Wolfrun...
...Scared Wolfrun

Arooo~

AuthorMessage
Avatar

DaveGX

64. Posted:

Iknow this has nothing to do with Nintendo or Sony, but this whole thing kinda reminds me of another example infringement case or whatever it was, i believe it was Motorla and Microsoft that couldn've gotten XBox 360 banned in the US possibly, but the dicision was ruled as a "suggestion" holding back sales. No fofense, but I honestly I believe Scar392 to be in his/her own right here to not trust the judge's decision. Legal or not if you don't have the experience in such fields than how can people expect an accurate ruling? Back to the original topic, though, I don't really nkow much about who did what, but just saying.

3DS FC: 4768-7451-8056
3DS Mii QR code: http://i1110.photobucket.com/albums/h447/DaveGX2/HNI_0002.jpg

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Bankai

65. Posted:

DaveGX wrote:

Iknow this has nothing to do with Nintendo or Sony, but this whole thing kinda reminds me of another example infringement case or whatever it was, i believe it was Motorla and Microsoft that couldn've gotten XBox 360 banned in the US possibly, but the dicision was ruled as a "suggestion" holding back sales. No fofense, but I honestly I believe Scar392 to be in his/her own right here to not trust the judge's decision. Legal or not if you don't have the experience in such fields than how can people expect an accurate ruling? Back to the original topic, though, I don't really nkow much about who did what, but just saying.

While it's fine to question a judgement in court, if you're going to do so you need more evidence than "I don't agree with it and police brutality means that this patent ruling is clearly incorrect."

And if you understood how patents worked then you would also understand why it's not actually important to have used a technology to judge if it has breached a patent.

If it really was that "easy" then we would all be lawyers with great sports cars.

Digitally Downloaded - best darned game site on the web ;-)

AuthorMessage
Avatar

k8sMum

66. Posted:

Legal or not if you don't have the experience in such fields than how can people expect an accurate ruling? Back to the original topic, though, I don't really nkow much about who did what, but just saying.

do you really think that nintendo didn't have enough lawyers to sink a ship on this one? judges in patent cases have experience in patent cases. it is not the criminal court system. it is full of business people all sides.

you have the right to distrust the ruling, but not the expertise in patent law. i sure as hell don't.

'Omnes Qui Errant Non Pereunt' Tolkien
'God is a kid with an antfarm.' "Constantine"
3ds friend code: 0860 3849 6133
Caitlin's Memorial Site

AuthorMessage
Avatar

SCAR392

67. Posted:

Bankai wrote:

DaveGX wrote:

Iknow this has nothing to do with Nintendo or Sony, but this whole thing kinda reminds me of another example infringement case or whatever it was, i believe it was Motorla and Microsoft that couldn've gotten XBox 360 banned in the US possibly, but the dicision was ruled as a "suggestion" holding back sales. No fofense, but I honestly I believe Scar392 to be in his/her own right here to not trust the judge's decision. Legal or not if you don't have the experience in such fields than how can people expect an accurate ruling? Back to the original topic, though, I don't really nkow much about who did what, but just saying.

While it's fine to question a judgement in court, if you're going to do so you need more evidence than "I don't agree with it and police brutality means that this patent ruling is clearly incorrect."

And if you understood how patents worked then you would also understand why it's not actually important to have used a technology to judge if it has breached a patent.

If it really was that "easy" then we would all be lawyers with great sports cars.

I was just stating questionable actions that are clearly wrong being the main factor here. I've seen wrong and/or unfair trials, so I have a right to question the whole system if it fails even one person. This judge and jury probably have no clue how the technology being argued actually works. This whole case is completely heresy if they didn't compare the 2 devices side by side and differentiate the exact components of each device(or blueprints).
Nintendo should pay up if they used even one of his ideas that makes up the final product. I just find it hard to believe that out of all the glasses free 3D devices from LG, Evo, etc, that can all playback the same content in 3D, Nintendo's was way more supposedly reliant on his components and specific structure of the device.
I find it hard to believe, but that doesn't mean I am completey dismissing the possibility.

EDIT: It is also possible his form of 3D was video game specific.

Edited on by SCAR392

$¢@®³’²

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Bankai

68. Posted:

SCAR392 wrote:

Bankai wrote:

DaveGX wrote:

Iknow this has nothing to do with Nintendo or Sony, but this whole thing kinda reminds me of another example infringement case or whatever it was, i believe it was Motorla and Microsoft that couldn've gotten XBox 360 banned in the US possibly, but the dicision was ruled as a "suggestion" holding back sales. No fofense, but I honestly I believe Scar392 to be in his/her own right here to not trust the judge's decision. Legal or not if you don't have the experience in such fields than how can people expect an accurate ruling? Back to the original topic, though, I don't really nkow much about who did what, but just saying.

While it's fine to question a judgement in court, if you're going to do so you need more evidence than "I don't agree with it and police brutality means that this patent ruling is clearly incorrect."

And if you understood how patents worked then you would also understand why it's not actually important to have used a technology to judge if it has breached a patent.

If it really was that "easy" then we would all be lawyers with great sports cars.

I was just stating questionable actions that are clearly wrong being the main factor here. I've seen wrong and/or unfair trials, so I have a right to question the whole system if it fails even one person. This judge and jury probably have no clue how the technology being argued actually works. This whole case is completely heresy if they didn't compare the 2 devices side by side and differentiate the exact components of each device(or blueprints).
Nintendo should pay up if they used even one of his ideas that makes up the final product. I just find it hard to believe that out of all the glasses free 3D devices from LG, Evo, etc, that can all playback the same content in 3D, Nintendo's was way more supposedly reliant on his components and specific structure of the device.
I find it hard to believe, but that doesn't mean I am completey dismissing the possibility.

You weren't in the room for the proceedings, you have no legal background, you don't seem to understand how patent law works. You have no evidence to support your point of view, beyond the most anecdotal and least legitimate evidence that is imaginable.

You're not in a position to criticise the verdict. You are welcome to only once you've got something legitimate to support your point of view. End of story.

Digitally Downloaded - best darned game site on the web ;-)

AuthorMessage
Avatar

SCAR392

69. Posted:

@Bankai
None of us were there. I'm gonna think something's fishy if someone punches me in the face, and I'm the one with assault charges. That didn't actually happen, but that's my point.
In the end it's all about who calls the cops first that decides the victor. I know you like to defend everything for how it's supposed to work, but how it's supposed to work isn't always how it is.

Edited on by SCAR392

$¢@®³’²

AuthorMessage
Avatar

SMEXIZELDAMAN

70. Posted:

Bankai wrote:

SCAR392 wrote:

Bankai wrote:

DaveGX wrote:

Iknow this has nothing to do with Nintendo or Sony, but this whole thing kinda reminds me of another example infringement case or whatever it was, i believe it was Motorla and Microsoft that couldn've gotten XBox 360 banned in the US possibly, but the dicision was ruled as a "suggestion" holding back sales. No fofense, but I honestly I believe Scar392 to be in his/her own right here to not trust the judge's decision. Legal or not if you don't have the experience in such fields than how can people expect an accurate ruling? Back to the original topic, though, I don't really nkow much about who did what, but just saying.

While it's fine to question a judgement in court, if you're going to do so you need more evidence than "I don't agree with it and police brutality means that this patent ruling is clearly incorrect."

And if you understood how patents worked then you would also understand why it's not actually important to have used a technology to judge if it has breached a patent.

If it really was that "easy" then we would all be lawyers with great sports cars.

I was just stating questionable actions that are clearly wrong being the main factor here. I've seen wrong and/or unfair trials, so I have a right to question the whole system if it fails even one person. This judge and jury probably have no clue how the technology being argued actually works. This whole case is completely heresy if they didn't compare the 2 devices side by side and differentiate the exact components of each device(or blueprints).
Nintendo should pay up if they used even one of his ideas that makes up the final product. I just find it hard to believe that out of all the glasses free 3D devices from LG, Evo, etc, that can all playback the same content in 3D, Nintendo's was way more supposedly reliant on his components and specific structure of the device.
I find it hard to believe, but that doesn't mean I am completey dismissing the possibility.

You weren't in the room for the proceedings, you have no legal background, you don't seem to understand how patent law works. You have no evidence to support your point of view, beyond the most anecdotal and least legitimate evidence that is imaginable.

You're not in a position to criticise the verdict. You are welcome to only once you've got something legitimate to support your point of view. End of story.

I'm a free 'murican and I exercise my right to say that Nintendo is right and this case was bs!!!!!!!

Lord Head Admin of SonyLife
♥♥♥Videogames are lame♥♥♥

AuthorMessage
AvatarAdmin

theblackdragon

71. Posted:

@SCAR392: Your analogy makes absolutely no sense. It's like you're trying to claim their absolute innocence when the court system has ruled otherwise, and believe me when i say that Nintendo has an amazing team of lawyers on retainer in order to have weathered the storms of piracy, copyright infringement, and patent trolling they're hit by all the time. If a jury ruled in favor of the other guy, there had to have been some serious infringement there that deserved some recompense — whether to the extent awarded by the jury will be haggled via appeal, but however unintentional the usage of someone else' patented technology, that someone else needs to be compensated.

I do not understand your level of distrust regarding this issue. You keep talking about cops and criminal offenses, but this is not a criminal case. it's all white-collar stuff. there's no violence in this case at all.

Edited on by theblackdragon

BEST THREAD EVER
future of NL >:3
[16:43] James: I should learn these site rules more clearly
[16:44] LztheBlehBird: James doesn't know the rules? For shame!!!
[16:44] Vintage: We have rules?
[16:44] Reala: don't expose the staff to sunlight, don't get them wet and don't feed them after midnight

3DS Friend Code: 3136-6802-7042 | Nintendo Network ID: gentlemen_cat | Twitter: theblackdragon

AuthorMessage
Avatar

DaveGX

72. Posted:

How exactly is this not criminal? It's basically going back and saying """you stole my idea" and are profitting from it". Theft is a crime. However this is also a scenario where whatever idea people come up with, it's never going to be 100% original, it has to've come been inspired from something somewhere, and that's what's wrong wit the world these days. Simply because of 1 itty bitty similarity everybody turns into $ grubbers over it.

3DS FC: 4768-7451-8056
3DS Mii QR code: http://i1110.photobucket.com/albums/h447/DaveGX2/HNI_0002.jpg

AuthorMessage
AvatarAdmin

theblackdragon

73. Posted:

@DaveGX: no, i mean 'criminal' in terms of the court system. as far as i know (and The_Shpydar may be able to shed some light on things since he's actually a lawyer, lol) patent infringement is pursued in the civil court system. there's a difference in how cases are handled and stuff, the continued references to police and brutality and violence from SCAR392 don't really apply to this situation. yes, accidental or not, something was used without permission and technically it would be theft, but they're arguing over the value of what was stolen (and which will be reimbursed to the patent holder so that he is made whole again), not potential jail-time.

Edited on by theblackdragon

BEST THREAD EVER
future of NL >:3
[16:43] James: I should learn these site rules more clearly
[16:44] LztheBlehBird: James doesn't know the rules? For shame!!!
[16:44] Vintage: We have rules?
[16:44] Reala: don't expose the staff to sunlight, don't get them wet and don't feed them after midnight

3DS Friend Code: 3136-6802-7042 | Nintendo Network ID: gentlemen_cat | Twitter: theblackdragon

AuthorMessage
Avatar

kereke12

74. Posted:

This is the same thing what happen when apple Vs. samsung case.When apple accuse samsung, of patent infringement so to be honest its no big deal in my opinion and hasn't anyone notice everytime a new device came out companys always do that?...This is funny because sony doing this because of the ps4 coming out.

LONG LIVE NINTENDO

Nintendo Network ID: Kereke12

AuthorMessage
Avatar

k8sMum

75. Posted:

sony didn't do this. it's an ex-employee of sony.

'Omnes Qui Errant Non Pereunt' Tolkien
'God is a kid with an antfarm.' "Constantine"
3ds friend code: 0860 3849 6133
Caitlin's Memorial Site

AuthorMessage
Avatar

GuardianKing

76. Posted:

Just kill the patenter

My Neopet.
NL RPG Season 2
DA Profile
StarShip Crusader Tumblr
Fantasy Loggery
Video Game I made: Chosen Words
Melody Astra Avatar
Former Morpheus Avatar courtesy of Gummio. :3
"I am the wise wolf. Which is exactly why I am aware that there are some thing even I don't know." ~ Holo, Spice & Wolf

3DS Friend Code: 5258-0260-8594 | Nintendo Network ID: GuardianKing | Twitter: BeastlyDigital

AuthorMessage
Avatar

the_shpydar

77. Posted:

@Dragon
Yes, Patent law falls within the realm of "civil" law. Nothing to do with criminal proceedings at all. Completely different realms of law with different standards, burdens of proof, etc.

@DaveGX
It's not 1 "itty bitty" similarlity. That's not how patent infringement works — if it was 1 itty bitty similarity, then there would not be a finding of infringement . It is a very complicated and intricate system that requires a significant showing that the offending tech has a certain level (usually determined by specific points of similarlity) of commonality with the patented tech.

@SCAR
You need to stop with your completely ridiculous analogies, as they do not in anyway apply to what's going on. From a logical debating standpoint, your arguments are coming across as something like "I am allergic to apples, therefore tomatoes tried to eat my dog." I find it very interesting in your post where you speculate on what might have happened here (Ninendo made a mistake, etc), you didn't once posit that Nintendo might have actually knowingly ripped off this guy's idea. They might have. Corporations do things like this all the time, and Nintendo is not some sainted company that can do no wrong. It is also ironic that you are so distrusitng of the legal system for what amount to statistically insignificant miscarriages, yet seem to absolutely trust a worldwide corporation, entities which are well-known for playing fast and lose with the rules.

The Shpydarloggery
She-Ra is awesome. If you believe otherwise, you are clearly wrong. Also, Lindsey Stirling. Because violin awesomeness.
Current E.T. count: 26 Copies. 2 Sealed, 7 CIB, 3 Boxed, 14 Cart-Only.

3DS Friend Code: 2578-3211-9319 | Nintendo Network ID: theShpydar

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Bankai

78. Posted:

the_shpydar wrote:

@Dragon
Yes, Patent law falls within the realm of "civil" law. Nothing to do with criminal proceedings at all. Completely different realms of law with different standards, burdens of proof, etc.

@DaveGX
It's not 1 "itty bitty" similarlity. That's not how patent infringement works — if it was 1 itty bitty similarity, then there would not be a finding of infringement . It is a very complicated and intricate system that requires a significant showing that the offending tech has a certain level (usually determined by specific points of similarlity) of commonality with the patented tech.

@SCAR
You need to stop with your completely ridiculous analogies, as they do not in anyway apply to what's going on. From a logical debating standpoint, your arguments are
coming across as something like "I am allergic to apples, therefore tomatoes tried to eat my dog." I find it very interesting in your post where you speculate on what might have happened here (Ninendo made a mistake, etc), you didn't once posit that Nintendo might have actually knowingly ripped off this guy's idea. They might have. Corporations do things like this all the time, and Nintendo is not some sainted company that can do no wrong. It is also ironic that you are so distrusitng of the legal system for what amount to statistically insignificant miscarriages, yet seem to absolutely trust a worldwide corporation, entities which are well-known for playing fast and lose with the rules.

I love you right now.

On a completely unrelated note - what kind of lawyer are you?

Edited on by Bankai

Digitally Downloaded - best darned game site on the web ;-)

AuthorMessage
Avatar

turtlelink

79. Posted:

the_shpydar wrote:

"I am allergic to apples, therefore tomatoes tried to eat my dog."

Quote of the day.

TurtleLink's backloggery
Brawl FC: 4425-1340-4519
The Sister Complex Kingpin of Steel!

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Tasuki

80. Posted:

Dang you walk away for a few hours to save your dog from some dog eating tomatoes and you miss alot.

Push Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

Nintendo Network ID: Tasuki311