Forums

Topic: New Super Mario Bros 2

Posts 1,381 to 1,400 of 1,507

pixelman

xBASSxMONSTAx wrote:

I have to say it only took like 5 seconds to download all the DLC. That tells me that all the content was already on the cartridge. They just unlocked it.

Assuming that a quick download speed means it's already on-cartridge is silly. Let's put this in perspective: The original Super Mario Bros takes about (usually less than, depending) a second to download. I think it's around 45 KB. That's the entire game, its music, sound effects, graphics, and 32 levels.

2D level files are either extremely small or a programmer at Nintendo is doing something wrong. This shouldn't surprise anyone.

pixelman

Nintendo Network ID: pixelpowa

KaiserGX

What proof do you need? Why would you re-download objects in a game? All code is basically, is just text. You download instructions for the new levels. The game reads it and uses the objects already in the game.

These level designs weren't even created when NSMB2 came out.

Kachou on!

Nintendo Network ID: KaiserGX

Raylax

xBASSxMONSTAx wrote:

KaiserGX wrote:

It wasn't on there. It's just all you downloaded was code. You're not downloading any new game models or anything. NSMB2 is a pretty small game because Nintendo is efficient with compression and things like that to save on memory.

You downloaded new course designs, which in itself doesn't take much space. It wasn't already on the game.

I need proof. I downloaded all three dlc packs in less than 5 seconds. They can't be that small in size no way. I'm on virgin 60mb package

In super basic terms, the level design could be stored extremely efficiently as pure numerical data (it won't be stored like this, because there are even more efficient ways, but go with this for now). Let's say (in a very basic system) you represent a block (ie, any ingame object) by two digits for the type of block and 4 digits for the grid position on-screen (2 for X, 2 for Y).
Let's say that a pipe is block 00, and we're placing it at grid tile (10, 20), so it appears at the start of the level. The data would simply be 001020. The game can read that and say "ok, 00 is a pipe, 10 is the X position and 20 is the Y position"
All of the graphics and sounds are already in the game, all the game has to do is download a big chunk of numbers. And numerical data is tiny. To demonstrate, I just created a file on my laptop with 150,000 numbers in it, which would support 25,000 blocks in our level builder. It's 130kb, uncompressed. Which would take less than a tenth of a second to download. I highly doubt that Nintendo's level packs are in uncompressed format, either. Levels can be stored in a tiny amount of data.

Raylax

Nintendo Network ID: RaylaxKai

Stereoman

xBASSxMONSTAx wrote:

I just payed them to unlocked it.

I don't agree with that kind of DLC at all. I bought the game and so I should get 100% of the content without having to pay extra for them to unlock more content on the cartridge.

@ Bassmonsta

imagine if Luigis mansion2: dark moon would be DLC in new super mario bros2.Actually that would be magical. Even if LM2 was already on the cart of NSMB2. Actually a reason to buy it

Emaan

Hmm, which packs to get.

I'm leaning towards the easy gold rush one and the difficult whack whatever its called one.

yoshi's disco
pink ness -quik backloggery
✰ not around as much as I used to be :o ) ✰

Nintendo Network ID: Emaann

JohnPhilipSousa

Nintendo fans not liking DLC, what a surprise. I agree with both perspectives, in that Nintendo games can stand on their own, but I already beat it and will gladly welcome more content.

JohnPhilipSousa

Nintendo Network ID: JohnPhilipSousa

Happy_Mask

LordSEGA95 wrote:

Nintendo fans not liking DLC, what a surprise. I agree with both perspectives, in that Nintendo games can stand on their own, but I already beat it and will gladly welcome more content.

Not gonna download it unless there are new bosses. . FE is more deserving of my cash.

[16:08] LordJumpMad Hides his gut with a griddle
[16:08] Reala: what ljm does for cash is ljm's business
[16:08] LordJumpMad: Gotta look good my my next game u_u

Neoproteus

Oh my god the DLC looks amazing! I can't wait to try the nerve-wrack pack! I thought it was already released in North America so I was looking forward to it all day...

Neoproteus

xBASSxMONSTAx

Raylax wrote:

xBASSxMONSTAx wrote:

KaiserGX wrote:

It wasn't on there. It's just all you downloaded was code. You're not downloading any new game models or anything. NSMB2 is a pretty small game because Nintendo is efficient with compression and things like that to save on memory.

You downloaded new course designs, which in itself doesn't take much space. It wasn't already on the game.

I need proof. I downloaded all three dlc packs in less than 5 seconds. They can't be that small in size no way. I'm on virgin 60mb package

In super basic terms, the level design could be stored extremely efficiently as pure numerical data (it won't be stored like this, because there are even more efficient ways, but go with this for now). Let's say (in a very basic system) you represent a block (ie, any ingame object) by two digits for the type of block and 4 digits for the grid position on-screen (2 for X, 2 for Y).
Let's say that a pipe is block 00, and we're placing it at grid tile (10, 20), so it appears at the start of the level. The data would simply be 001020. The game can read that and say "ok, 00 is a pipe, 10 is the X position and 20 is the Y position"

All of the graphics and sounds are already in the game, all the game has to do is download a big chunk of numbers. And numerical data is tiny. To demonstrate, I just created a file on my laptop with 150,000 numbers in it, which would support 25,000 blocks in our level builder. It's 130kb, uncompressed. Which would take less than a tenth of a second to download. I highly doubt that Nintendo's level packs are in uncompressed format, either. Levels can be stored in a tiny amount of data.

I understand now. Thanks for the explanation.

xBASSxMONSTAx

willobee

Stereoman wrote:

imagine if Luigis mansion2: dark moon would be DLC in new super mario bros2.Actually that would be magical. Even if LM2 was already on the cart of NSMB2. Actually a reason to buy it

What in the heck are you even talking about?

NNID: willobee

xBASSxMONSTAx

wobee wrote:

Stereoman wrote:

imagine if Luigis mansion2: dark moon would be DLC in new super mario bros2.Actually that would be magical. Even if LM2 was already on the cart of NSMB2. Actually a reason to buy it

What in the heck are you even talking about?

I didn't understand either.

Edited on by xBASSxMONSTAx

xBASSxMONSTAx

Emaan

I still can't find a way to the Golden Ship, anyone care to give me a hint?

yoshi's disco
pink ness -quik backloggery
✰ not around as much as I used to be :o ) ✰

Nintendo Network ID: Emaann

RupeeClock

Emaan wrote:

I still can't find a way to the Golden Ship, anyone care to give me a hint?

Not walls or floors. Not numbered.

RupeeClock

Norfair

Do any of you guys know if Coin Challenge Pack A has the limit of 30,000 or just a limit in general?

My body is ready, can you say the same? Is your body ready?

RupeeClock

Coin Rush has a global cap of 30,000 coins anyhow.

I've got my score for Coin Challenge Pack A up to 27,496 coins. I can get that a bit further with a new trick I've discovered.

RupeeClock

New_3DaSh_XL

xBASSxMONSTAx wrote:

wobee wrote:

Stereoman wrote:

imagine if Luigis mansion2: dark moon would be DLC in new super mario bros2.Actually that would be magical. Even if LM2 was already on the cart of NSMB2. Actually a reason to buy it

What in the heck are you even talking about?

I didn't understand either.

@Stereoman always is sorta weird. Like, with the 3DS Cannibalizing on the Wii U!

I don't understand, and if I did, I probably wouldn't think it's a good idea.

8 Bit Forward
My Bio, by True_Hero, and another by Dark-Luigi. Oh, and a Kid Icarus one, too, created by Cyb3rnite.
deviantART Profile

Nintendo Network ID: NintenDash | Twitter:

Top

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic