Forums

Topic: Monster Hunter XX (Double Cross)

Posts 221 to 240 of 259

Haru17

@Tsurii My favorite is probably always going to be more related to what it was eating, but I must say that the Double Cross trailers have made me want to fight Way Better!Skarmory much more than any before them. That shot of him blasting up the sky-scraping mountain is just too cool.

I'd much rather play all of this in Monster Hunter 5, along with an entirely new roster of 10-15 monsters. However, the transmogrification feature alone makes this game worth the purchase to me. Basically it's this great quality of life / fashion hunter convenience that lets you meld the visuals of any gear you've crafted with the stats and skills of any (I assume same-slot) piece. They had better have that in the eventual Switch sequel or I will complain, and rightly so.

Edited on by Haru17

Don't hate me because I'm bnahabulous.

CrazedCavalier

@Tsurii Eh, leave it be.

I will say I at least avoided being too cookie-cutter in 4U-- ran around with Grand Mizuha and gemmed in Guard +2; basically status CB paradise. If anything I'm so much more cookie-cutter in Gen (Dreadking armor + Hellblade SA, much?).

"There's a very fine line between not listening and not caring. I like to think I walk that line every day of my life." -Leonard Church Jr.

Nintendo Network ID: thedanman88

meleebrawler

@Tsurii I said this before in a different article, but a lot of people compare Gen and 4U based on their first playthroughs; the latter is certainly more memorable with it's better story and presentation. But when I tried to go through it a second time, all the annoying aspects of gameplay crept up on me and got me to quit altogether. Guild Quests not letting you fight certain monsters due to luck (not to mention almost every quest being Advanced and randomly available near the end), the badly executed Everwood, horrible Palico system mechanics at every turn... not even going to touch the balance issues.

When it comes to just sitting down and hunting a monster you feel like hunting that day, Gen is much more accessible and convenient. And XX is going to encourage that with it's daily quest mechanic.

About the no purple sharpness thing... sounds like an interesting way to balance out all the new styles, arts and SP mode we didn't have in 4U.

Edited on by meleebrawler

Alone, a force. Together, a force of nature.

3DS FC: 2535-3888-1548

3DS Friend Code: 2535-3888-1548 | Nintendo Network ID: meleebrawler

CrazedCavalier

@Tsurii ...Damn.

"There's a very fine line between not listening and not caring. I like to think I walk that line every day of my life." -Leonard Church Jr.

CrazedCavalier

Welp, Energy Charge III got nerfed-- it's got a "Medium" charge time and takes slightly longer to charge than Trance Slash III. Guess I'll be going back to II, as III is now no longer worth it outside of the infinite Demon Riot setup, and even then the extra affinity isn't a constant.

Though Storm Axe apparently sucks, so it's not like the SA got much better in terms of balancing the two modes.

Haru17

Tsurii wrote:

I guess [purple sharpness] may be a lot rarer now or something. Which is still a good thing imo. The final boss weapons look ridiculous in terms of stats lol

That sounds great. I always remember purple sharpness being arbitrary and Gogmazios' weapons being really useless. I'm glad that this online end boss' stuff is being made unique in some way.

And yeah, I don't really have all of the context, but it's probably best if we all address disagreements in third-person perspective.

Edited on by Haru17

Don't hate me because I'm bnahabulous.

meleebrawler

@CrazedCavalier Brave Switch Axe seems to do more to balance the two modes than any art would. That said, they can definitely serve to tweak your playstyle when using that.

CrazedCavalier

Full skills for Deviant Astalos and Mizutsune sets:
Astalos: Repeat Offender, Airborne, Seidenshuu Soul/Ultra Crit and Sharpness +1(Seidenshuu Great Soul/Ultra Crit, Sharpness +1, Alert)
Mizutsune: Bubbly Dance, Acrobat (Constitution+1/Evasion+1, stacks with Bubbly Dance), Tengen Soul/Critical Eye +3 and Challenger +1 (Tengen Great Soul/Critical Eye +3 and Challenger +2)

Considering I have a mounting +10 Talisman, that Astalos set may as well be Aerial SA heaven for me.

Also, Deviant Quests have G1-G5 levels as well as a new "super" level that requires breaking HR100 (considering you get your original HR restored after beating the final boss, not going to be hard) and beating every other quest level for that Deviant. They're GQ 140 tough, with 50% more HP than G5 and double the attack. At 870 defense Hellblade Glav's tail slam is nearly a one-shot and his lunging bite takes 1/3 HP. Your reward is being able to transmog that Deviant's armor set.

Edited on by CrazedCavalier

Joeynator3000

Ugh, I really don't want to do this, but...watches Gajin's video on final boss

My Monster Hunter Rise Gameplay
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLzirEG5duST1bEJi0-9kUORu5SRfvuTLr

Discord server: https://discord.gg/fGUnxcK
Keep it PG-13-ish.

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/c/Joeynator3000

CrazedCavalier

Okay, Valfalk's G-rank armor is kinda ridiculous. It has 17 points to attack up with six slots (none in the helmet, two each in the chest and arms and one for the waist and leggings) and has two new skills plus Resuscitate. The first skill keeps your stamina from depleting when running once you hit the red. But that's not where things get crazy-- it's the other skill. That other skill makes every elemental resistance +50 when you get to 2/3 health as well as increasing your attack by 10% and inflicting you with Dragonblight (but still letting you deal dragon elemental damage). So you've got Attack up M that can easily be made into Attack up L already, on top of the new skill giving a 10% boost to attack when you hit 2/3 health-- and oh yeah, Resuscitate. You have all that with 6/4 slots (depending on whether you go for Attack up L) left, meaning you should be able to get at least one other skill with a talisman. I think it may provide a contender for certain weapons (GS, CB) against the crit-stack meta.

CrazedCavalier

@Tsurii It's looking like Deviant Astalos will be my spammy Aerial SA set and Valfalk will be my general-purpose CB set.

I should note that Valfalk normally has -10 to every element except Dragon, which is +15. Considering the nature of the new skill, I have to wonder if the monster itself becomes extremely resilient to elemental damage when enraged.

EDIT: Kiranico is live. I repeat, Kiranico is live: https://mhxx.kiranico.com/
Gotta love the google-translated page results. "Large sword", "A sword", "Hunting whistle", "Gambler", "Mission Control", "Heavy Bogan (I'm not making that up)"...

CrazedCavalier

@Tsurii GS wasn't super great in Gen overall, really. It didn't gain much from any style really and is sitting smack in the middle of the tier list.

Looking at the weapon list for GS and having trouble finding exactly what it may be. The last weapon before the Deviant stuff has 300 might/75 dragon at max level, so maybe that's the final boss weapon? Kiranico's still updating, so I can't look at individual weapons and armor yet.

EDIT: Okay, think I may have found it. 330 attack, defense +60, and a nice swath of purple sharpness. Sounds like a final boss weapon to me.

CrazedCavalier

@Tsurii Edited my comment with what I now know it actually is.

These machine translated names are cracking me up... "Big Breast King's Liberation"?!

CrazedCavalier

@Tsurii Nah, I'm looking at SAs now-- that's the Deviant Gammoth one. The final boss GS is "Treasure of bigsword metalware".

Deviant Astalos gear has 30 points of purple sharpness at max level (it even has a tiny bit at base) which gets doubled and then tripled by sharpness +1/+2 with 280 attack and 40% affinity. The only thing wrong with it is that it's still element phial.

meleebrawler

CrazedCavalier wrote:

Okay, Valfalk's G-rank armor is kinda ridiculous. It has 17 points to attack up with six slots (none in the helmet, two each in the chest and arms and one for the waist and leggings) and has two new skills plus Resuscitate. The first skill keeps your stamina from depleting when running once you hit the red. But that's not where things get crazy-- it's the other skill. That other skill makes every elemental resistance +50 when you get to 2/3 health as well as increasing your attack by 10% and inflicting you with Dragonblight (but still letting you deal dragon elemental damage). So you've got Attack up M that can easily be made into Attack up L already, on top of the new skill giving a 10% boost to attack when you hit 2/3 health-- and oh yeah, Resuscitate. You have all that with 6/4 slots (depending on whether you go for Attack up L) left, meaning you should be able to get at least one other skill with a talisman. I think it may provide a contender for certain weapons (GS, CB) against the crit-stack meta.

I know there's a bit OMG HUGE NUMBERS hype going here, but there's definitely some things that bring it down from being that ridiculous. For one, all those elemental resistances are useless against physical monsters. Two, it limits you to using raw or dragon weapons... not a big drawback considering the set focuses on boosting raw damage anyway, but still a limiting factor.

It's very good at what it sets out to do, to be sure, but it doesn't really do much besides give big attack and maybe an immunity to a blight or two (unless it's Alatreon, probably works really well on him).

@Tsurii You know that Brave GS gives a super-fast draw strong charge, right?

And people really need to stop treating clear times as the be-all-end-all of weapon viability. As long as you have fun with it and are a help to your team, who cares how fast it won in a tool-assisted run? Us Gunlancers will keep blasting those areas nobody else wants to hit, thank you very much.

CrazedCavalier

@meleebrawler The elemental resistances really weren't what I was talking about. It's the ability to have +60-ish attack that's pretty attractive. And as you said, it'll really only be good for physical weapons.

As for my last comment... what can I say other than I like speedhunts and would like to see things shaken up a bit? I used the GL in 3U and still do from time to time.

Joeynator3000

.....Welp....G-Rank Crimson Fatalis is just a Fatalis with meteors in this game....literally....no flames, no "heat wave"....no G-Rank music...>_>

My Monster Hunter Rise Gameplay
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLzirEG5duST1bEJi0-9kUORu5SRfvuTLr

Discord server: https://discord.gg/fGUnxcK
Keep it PG-13-ish.

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/c/Joeynator3000

CrazedCavalier

Apparently Mizutsune's AI got completely re-worked and it's a lot more aggressive now. Also, Glavenus' tail projectile reportedly comes out faster and has better targeting/homing to it and Gammoth's AOE snow attacks got their hitboxes fixed.

And now random geeky calcs that probably concern nobody but myself. With Ultra Crit (which is on the Deviant Astalos set) and the extra 10% to affinity from Energy Charge II the final Deviant Astalos SA has an effective might of 483, taking purple sharpness into account. The Deviant Mizutsune SA, once again taking the same factors into account (except obviously white sharpness this time), gets... 549 effective might in sword mode and 458 might in axe mode. Funnily, the Astalos SA in this situation effectively has a power phial in either mode (50% affinity and Ultra Crit makes crits do 40% more damage, which evens out to a 20% boost).

crimsontadpoles

It's nice to see the rest of the Fated Four get Deviant forms. It seemed weird that only Glavenus got one in Generations.

Even though I preferred 4U to Generations, one thing I loved about Generations was the sheer variety of different monsters. And now XX has an even larger number of monsters.

My Anime List
I want you to make contracts with me and become magical girls!

Switch Friend Code: SW-5487-8712-2210 | 3DS Friend Code: 2165-5759-7889 | Nintendo Network ID: crimsontadpoles

meleebrawler

@Tsurii I doubt they'll have the 50% or higher overall defense unlike the super-level Deviants, though.

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.