Forums

Topic: Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate Discussion

Posts 661 to 680 of 5,926

nacho_chicken

Grumblevolcano wrote:

So I'm planning on starting the demo soon and have never played a Monster Hunter game. Would you recommend I choose Beginner difficulty and then choose Experienced (delete save data and restart) when I've gotten more used to the game or just go straight for Experienced?

I would recommend choosing Experienced if you're going to want to play online. That way you'll be able to learn by watching people who are used to the game. It's also ridiculously hard to lose 4P against Great Jaggi if you at least know the controls. If you're new, I'd say to go ahead and experiment with the weapons near the spawn point single-player before you play with people, though.

As far as differences go:
Beginner has these huge "THE MONSTER IS THIS WAY" arrows, but Experienced still shows where the monster is on the bottom screen map. Beginner also gives you pretty much the equivalent of late-game equipment against early-game monsters, but Experienced is still mid-game stuff. Beginner apparently gives you more items, but you wouldn't really know how to use them effectively unless you've played the game before. Beginner also locks you out of fighting Gore Magala, but don't fight him early on unless you love riding on carts. Both modes let you view the weapon tutorials/controls at the start of each quest.

By the way, there's no memory to delete and no need to restart the demo. The game doesn't save, and it asks you at the end of each quest whether you want to change difficulty.

Edited on by nacho_chicken

Jack of all trades, master of some

Twitter:

Haru17

Man, I wish they would make a monster hunter game on the PS4 on the, or at least bring the instant gameplay recording to Wii U because Monster Hunter is like the only application for that! There have been so many times when I just smack a charging rathalos out of the air with my switch axe. Just now I jumped a small gap and KO'd the Great Jaggi with a hammer aerial attack. You HAD to see that, it was so clutch! Monster Hunter lets you do so much cool stuff like that (google RIP Great Jaggi and watch that video if you want to know what I mean). SO good!

Don't hate me because I'm bnahabulous.

TeeJay

It was so..."clutch"...?

What is this street speak.

If you add me, I need to at least know you or I won't add you back.

Switch Friend Code: SW-5283-4033-0929 | 3DS Friend Code: 2423-1923-3519 | Nintendo Network ID: TeeJay92

TeeJay

Dangit, why does everyone play online when I'm not around... sob

Switch Friend Code: SW-5283-4033-0929 | 3DS Friend Code: 2423-1923-3519 | Nintendo Network ID: TeeJay92

TeeJay

Haru17 wrote:

TeeJay wrote:

It was so..."clutch"...?

What is this street speak.

The attack made me become my own hype man for a second, that's what 'clutch' means to me. =D

http://i2.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/276/747/bf9.gif

Not trying to be difficult I promise, but I'm not entirely sure what "becoming your own hype man" means. I'll just assume it means you were really hyped or something lol

Spoony_Tech

Grumblevolcano wrote:

So I'm planning on starting the demo soon and have never played a Monster Hunter game. Would you recommend I choose Beginner difficulty and then choose Experienced (delete save data and restart) when I've gotten more used to the game or just go straight for Experienced?

I actually recommend you start with beginner and solo for a while. Get use to the weapons first and find which ones you like best. Once you feel more comfortable then switch to experience. This game can turn people off before they even get started.

@Haru17 @nacho_chicken You guys do know that solo and online are adjusted for difficulty right? As in the online monsters are 4 times stronger and have 4 times the health to accommodate 4 players. So a solo quest is easier then online especially the hard quest because you have to factor in players can die quicker. I've done the advanced quest now about 5 times and think only finished it twice. One weak player or getting cornered will end the session really fast.

John 8:7 He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone.

MERG said:

If I was only ever able to have Monster Hunter and EO games in the future, I would be a happy man.

I'm memory of @Mr_Trill_281 (rip) 3-25-18

Switch Friend Code: SW-7353-2587-4117 | 3DS Friend Code: 3050-7580-4390 | Nintendo Network ID: SpoonyTech | Twitter:

HappyHappyist
anyone want to try and replicate this in the demo? There will only be supply bombs, but it would still be fun.

Edited on by HappyHappyist

i am part of a social group interested in uniting the world by painting it blue.
Blue blue.

Rezalack

That video isn't working. :/

Rezalack

Nintendo Network ID: Spuratis

Rezalack

Lol. That was cool, mind explaining what they did exactly? I've played the demo about 10 times and I've still no idea what I'm doing with traps, I have caught one or two in shock traps, but that's about it.

Also, I have set those barrels down multiple times, but seems like the only way to trigger them is to hit them.. this seems like an inconvenience for people without ranged attacks..

Edited on by Rezalack

Rezalack

Spoony_Tech

Rezalack wrote:

Lol. That was cool, mind explaining what they did exactly? I've played the demo about 10 times and I've still no idea what I'm doing with traps, I have caught one or two in shock traps, but that's about it.

Also, I have set those barrels down multiple times, but seems like the only way to trigger them is to hit them.. this seems like an inconvenience for people without ranged attacks..

There is timed bombs for melee users. It's the yellow bomb in the supply box. As for traps what you need to do is set it in a open area and stand behind it. If everybody else is still fighting you may never get to use that trap. Everyone needs tO be on the same page when a trap is set. Also it's good to wait till the monster leaves the area. I hate it when I set a trap then he/it leaves.

Trap missions are generally hard for first timers. They don't know when or where they should set them. It's simple, monster limping set trap. Once again though wait till they leave the area.

You can set bombs on traps but if the monster shoots projectiles then they may do you no good. The best way to use bombs is to pit the monster to sleep then set them up. You need to be very careful though when doing this. If a range shooter is firing sleep shot and calls out stop then everyone needs to stop attacking otherwise you will make the monster wake back up. I've been in full combo mode before and couldn't stop. You really need to watch the signs of when they fall asleep.

Edited on by Spoony_Tech

MERG said:

If I was only ever able to have Monster Hunter and EO games in the future, I would be a happy man.

Switch Friend Code: SW-7353-2587-4117 | 3DS Friend Code: 3050-7580-4390 | Nintendo Network ID: SpoonyTech | Twitter:

HappyHappyist

Oh, are you new to the series? Is the demo your first experience?

Basically, what they did in the video was they set a PITFALL trap down, and put a bunch of Large Bomb+ on top. They were all using an incredibly powerful 4 shot attack on a specific gunlance. Just one of those bombs will deal 150 set dmg to any monster, and they laid down 8. so that's 1200 set damage right away, which is nothing to laugh at. Now, ON TOP OF THAT, they were all using Spread Gunlances, combined with the power of Wyvern's Fire. Just one Spread GL Wyvern's Fire is pretty strong, then multiply it by four people and then add 1200 set damage. Yeah, that's a lot.

i am part of a social group interested in uniting the world by painting it blue.
Blue blue.

Rezalack

Happy, yup. This is my first bout with MH and I'm enjoying it so far. I've read a lot and watched a lot of it but never indulged. I'm definitely going to be getting the main game though come Feb 13th. Well, whenever my 3DS comes in the mail.

So a question about traps then, do you need to set the trap and then put bait on it? This should be done when the monster is off screen and this will attract them? I want to try and capture the Great Jabbi without killing it if it's even possible in this demo.

Rezalack

Eel

The monster should probably be in the same area as the trap, since you can't really lure them to areas.

The best bait is you, just stand with the trap between you and the monster and it should be enough.

To capture a monster you need tranquilizers, which are not in the demo unfortunately.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

Spoony_Tech

Rezalack wrote:

Happy, yup. This is my first bout with MH and I'm enjoying it so far. I've read a lot and watched a lot of it but never indulged. I'm definitely going to be getting the main game though come Feb 13th. Well, whenever my 3DS comes in the mail.

So a question about traps then, do you need to set the trap and then put bait on it? This should be done when the monster is off screen and this will attract them? I want to try and capture the Great Jabbi without killing it if it's even possible in this demo.

You don't need to put bait at all actually. If your team stands behind it eventually the monster will fall into it. You can put bait or bombs on them but that's just to do more damage. If the monster is weak enough then In the main game you will be able to throw tranquilizers at it to capture it. Some times we thought we had the monster weak enough only to throw tranqs and it Not work. If the monster is close enough though if you can attack till it gets to that point and or breaks the trap it will fall asleep.

MERG said:

Rezalack

Ahh, alright. Thanks guys.

Rezalack

retropunky

If a hunter has the capture guru skill, they'll be able to tell when a monster is ready to cap. But that'll be available in the main game when you start collecting armor and skill points.

Anyway, I'm very excited about this one. Just tried the demo and it's really good. I ran out of time on the last monster though, so I'll have to take it on again later today.

retropunky

3DS Friend Code: 4313-0436-2109

HappyHappyist

Rezalack wrote:

Whenever your 3DS comes in the mail? Am I correct in assuming you pre-ordered a New 3DS? would it be the MH4U bundle?

As for traps, there are two types: shock and pitfall. All you need for them to work is to simply set them down. After that, the trap will activate once the monster steps onto the trap. What this does is it leaves the monster vulnerable and stuck in a position of helplessness. You can use this opportunity to take a potion, sharpen your weapon, attack it while it's defenseless, etc.

What you can also do is attempt to CAPTURE the monster alive, but only under the correct conditions. First, the monster must be WEAK and READY FOR CAPTURE. For example, in pokemon you can't capture a pokemon unless their health is low enough. Likewise, the same is for Monster Hunter, except you can't see the monster's health. But how then do you tell if a monster is weak? Well, when a monster is weak, it will try to limp away, as you've probably seen. When a monster starts limping, you know it is ready to be captured. Second, You must have at least one trap (what type of trap doesn't matter), and at least TWO tranquilizer bombs (which aren't provided in the demo, so you can not capture any monster). To capture, your monster must first fall into your trap. While he is in the trap, you must hit him with your tranquilizer bombs. If your monster was weak enough and you've done the procedure correctly, your monster will be captured.

But what is the point of capturing? Well, although it requires more resources, sometimes you'll want to capture because you're running out of time in a quest, or maybe this monster is really hard and it'd be easier to capture than to kill. Also, some monster rewards at the end of a quest can only be achieved by capturing, and by capturing you'll receive more rewards at the end of the quest than if you had killed it. However, if you do capture a monster, then you can not carve off of your monster at the end of a quest. Also, some parts also require you to kill a monster, so be prepared to both kill and capture monsters, because you'll need to do both!

Blue blue.

Rezalack

Thanks guys. Yeah, I ordered the MH4U Bundle. I wish they had in-store pick up so I could have gotten it day one, but they just didn't have that option for some reason. I'm gonna mess with traps right now in the game, I got one in a shock trap before but it just started wailing on him right away. I didn't even think to use to traps so I could stop and sharpen or whatever, I would normally just try and distance myself or go off screen.

Rezalack

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.