3DS Forum

Topic: Miyamoto: "eShop won't have restrictions"

Showing 41 to 60 of 81

AuthorMessage
Avatar

CanisWolfred

41. Posted:

Even XBLA has a size limit (4 GB, the max size of the Ram I believe), so I'm sure the 3DS will have one, too.

Avid Fan of Anime, JRPGs, Webcomics, and Wolves
My Den - My door is always open....Too bad it's an empty closet.
My DeviantArt - I like to call it "the blank wall"

Wolfrun
Wolfrun Chibi

Arooo~

AuthorMessage
Avatar

moosa

42. Posted:

Are downloads RAM limited? Because the 3DS obviously doesn't have gigs of RAM. I believe it has 128MB max.

Stop complaining and GO PLAY GAMES.

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Lan

43. Posted:

moosa wrote:

Are downloads RAM limited? Because the 3DS obviously doesn't have gigs of RAM. I believe it has 128MB max.

the wii has 88 megs of ram ;-;

Lots of censorship here...
3DS: 1676-4603-1823
Dragon friend safari

Nintendo Network ID: Dylan1

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Stuffgamer1

44. Posted:

@Mickeymac: Nope, XBLA has a 2GB limit that Microsoft said cannot be raised. Also, the Xbox 360 doesn't have nearly that much RAM to begin with; it actually has half a gig. Obviously, download limits and RAM are not hard-linked, at least not equally.

My Backloggery Updated sporadically. Got my important online ID's on there, anyway. :P

AuthorMessage
Avatar

CanisWolfred

45. Posted:

It appears I misquoted. Sorry about that.

Avid Fan of Anime, JRPGs, Webcomics, and Wolves
My Den - My door is always open....Too bad it's an empty closet.
My DeviantArt - I like to call it "the blank wall"

Wolfrun
Wolfrun Chibi

Arooo~

AuthorMessage
Avatar

moosa

46. Posted:

Well, if we're making bets on the size limit, I wouldn't go any higher than 250MB. At max. I'd say it's likely to be less.

Edited on by moosa

Stop complaining and GO PLAY GAMES.

AuthorMessage
Avatar

HolyMackerel

47. Posted:

Hopefully this also means there won't be any price restrictions. As in the 200, 500, 800+ point requirements from DSiWare.

× steam

3DS Friend Code: 4098-3796-9042

AuthorMessage
Avatar

komicturtle

48. Posted:

moosa wrote:

Well, if we're making bets on the size limit, I wouldn't go any higher than 250MB. At max. I'd say it's likely to be less.

It's on like Donkey Kong.

All the way to tha early morn'!

komicturtle

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Lan

49. Posted:

didn't ninty trademark that?

Lots of censorship here...
3DS: 1676-4603-1823
Dragon friend safari

Nintendo Network ID: Dylan1

AuthorMessage
Avatar

komicturtle

50. Posted:

I heard they were in the process. Else they would have sued Oxygen for airing a girl from The Bad Girls Club who said that this season.

komicturtle

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Pogocoop

51. Posted:

Good.

3DS FC: 0774-4269-5253Name:Tony

Nintendo network ID : Pogocoop

Obsesive Vocaloid fan.

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Bankai

52. Posted:

Mickeymac wrote:

Even XBLA has a size limit (4 GB, the max size of the Ram I believe), so I'm sure the 3DS will have one, too.

It's worth mentioning that the PS3 does not have download size limits.

So it can indeed be done. Not necessarily practical to be downloading 10GB games, but it's possible.

Digitally Downloaded - best darned game site on the web ;-)

AuthorMessage
Avatar

irken004

53. Posted:

You're only restricted by how much space you have available. Which is the case with Steam downloads on PC :D

Backloggery

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Oregano

54. Posted:

It's also probably worth mentioning that Sony loses money on PSN and a likely reason for that is their hosting costs. Having a size limit(regardless of actual size) can help save money.

Edited on by Oregano

http://www.gaminggauge.com/
My new gaming website!

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Bankai

55. Posted:

Oregano wrote:

It's also probably worth mentioning that Sony loses money on PSN and a likely reason for that is their hosting costs. Having a size limit(regardless of actual size) can help save money.

Loss leading. It's not necessarily a bad thing.

Digitally Downloaded - best darned game site on the web ;-)

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Oregano

56. Posted:

WaltzElf wrote:

Loss leading. It's not necessarily a bad thing.

It only works if you're actually leading though. Arguing that PSN is offering a superior experience would be tough. I'd even go as far to say that the advent of PSN Plus(is that the right name) is an admission of the failure to properly capitalise on PSN.

If Nintendo were going to follow either of the other hardware maker's online strategy it should be MS.... but really Nintendo, Sony and MS should all be copying Valve.:P

http://www.gaminggauge.com/
My new gaming website!

AuthorMessage
AvatarStaff

Unca_Lz

57. Posted:

WaltzElf wrote:

Mickeymac wrote:

Even XBLA has a size limit (4 GB, the max size of the Ram I believe), so I'm sure the 3DS will have one, too.

It's worth mentioning that the PS3 does not have download size limits.

So it can indeed be done. Not necessarily practical to be downloading 10GB games, but it's possible.

But those are full PS3 games, correct?

Nintendo Life moderator and duck.

My BUY_A_WII_U_loggery

3DS Friend Code: 2234-7139-4188 | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

AuthorMessage
Avatar

moosa

58. Posted:

Oregano wrote:

WaltzElf wrote:

Loss leading. It's not necessarily a bad thing.

It only works if you're actually leading though. Arguing that PSN is offering a superior experience would be tough. I'd even go as far to say that the advent of PSN Plus(is that the right name) is an admission of the failure to properly capitalise on PSN.

If Nintendo were going to follow either of the other hardware maker's online strategy it should be MS....

That would involve Nintendo requiring a paid subscription. I don't think Nintendo has any plans of following anyone else.

Stop complaining and GO PLAY GAMES.

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Stuffgamer1

59. Posted:

@HolyMackerel: That would definitely be ideal. We've all heard the horror stories of Nintendo screwing up sales potential for WiiWare games due to price structuring...I would certainly hope they'd learn their lesson on that eventually.

@Oregano: I'd say this article makes a good argument in favor of Sony's approach with PSN. Considering time frames and the cost or lack thereof to simply play online, it seems to me that Sony's on track to be MORE profitable than Xbox Live. Of course, the current PSN outage is seriously hurting that possibility.

@lz: The largest files on PSN are generally downloadable versions of retail PS3 games, yes. That said, there are PSN exclusive games that are actually larger than XBLA's file limit...R&CF: The Quest For Booty, for example. And then you have the HD remake of Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath, which was canceled from XBLA due to file size restrictions but kept on track for PSN (though recent developments show it coming to XBLA with highly compressed and therefore inferior audio/video to make it fit).

Of course, no sane person would argue that larger files automatically mean better games. But the potential is there. And of course, everything is relative. A 2 gig download on 3DS would seem silly given the storage capacity of the retail game cards. But a lousy 2 gigs on a Blu-Ray seems a lot more wasteful. And of course, 2 gigs doesn't go as far on PS3 as it would on 3DS anyway, so you could probably get the same relative size/quality game on 3DS for less than half the storage, taking into account what the system is capable of. Those high D's don't come in small packages, y'know.:P

My Backloggery Updated sporadically. Got my important online ID's on there, anyway. :P

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Oregano

60. Posted:

Stuffgamer1 wrote:

@Oregano: I'd say this article makes a good argument in favor of Sony's approach with PSN. Considering time frames and the cost or lack thereof to simply play online, it seems to me that Sony's on track to be MORE profitable than Xbox Live. Of course, the current PSN outage is seriously hurting that possibility.

Not a chance. XBL is still ahead and has been profitable for several years. PSN would have to make up for several years losses to be profitable. In the same way that whilst Sony actually makes money on the PS3 now it's still $6 billion in the red and will never be profitable.

Also as I pointed out earlier that's included PSN Plus which was a change of strategy for Sony. Which considering they doubled their revenue and were still in the red shows how bad they were doing before hand.

Edited on by Oregano

http://www.gaminggauge.com/
My new gaming website!