Forums

Topic: Metroid: Samus Returns

Posts 741 to 760 of 763

kkslider5552000

I'm at area 5 of this game. Still not entirely sure how to feel about it. Because it's
A. a return of one of my favorite franchises
B. not as good as AM2R
C. Objectively better than AM2R in several signficant ways
D. A remake of Metroid 2 in the first place

it's really really weird to try to judge as a whole, especially compared to other games in the series. It's very good even at worst though. But yeah, right now, Samus Returns arguably plays better than AM2R and does a way better job of adapting the actual Metroid fights and the journey to deal with them, but I still prefer AM2R as a Metroid game as a whole? It's weird. Props to this game for being the only one of the three to make me consistently like Area 3 though (worst part of AM2R by a country mile is the half of Area 3 that isn't mechanical focused).

Bioshock is 10 years old. Let's play through its horrific environment and see why its so beloved!
LeT's PlAy BIOSHOCK < Link to LP

3DS friend code: 2878 - 9709 - 50...

MarcelRguez

kkslider5552000 wrote:

But yeah, right now, Samus Returns arguably plays better than AM2R and does a way better job of adapting the actual Metroid fights and the journey to deal with them, but I still prefer AM2R as a Metroid game as a whole? It's weird.

Right with you on that one. It is a weird entry, even without comparing it with AM2R. Part of it for me is that most rooms feel very "samey", were it not for the map I would have been almost as lost as in the original. It's not a game suited for speedrunning either, although that might be Metroid II's fault.

So yeah, it's easily in the lower end of the 2D Metroid games, as far as I'm concerned. Slightly worse than AM2R, more or less on par with Fusion.

MarcelRguez

3DS Friend Code: 3308-4605-6296 | Nintendo Network ID: Marce2240 | Twitter:

kkslider5552000

I mean, it's in the lower end of 2d Metroid in the same way I consider the Oracle games in the lower end of top down Zelda. I have problems with it and it fails to live up to the series' high points but I'd still vastly prefer playing it over...most games.

Bioshock is 10 years old. Let's play through its horrific environment and see why its so beloved!

MarcelRguez

Same, really. I don't want to come across like I hate the game or anything, I just think the M2 skeleton holds it back a bit. It's still fantastic, but I'd like to see what MercurySteam and Nintendo could do if they made an entirely original entry.

MarcelRguez

Dezzy

Gameplay wise, I'd say this is possibly the best in the series.

It really fails with environmental design though. They've gone for quantity over quality. And the bosses aren't particularly interesting.

I'd absolutely love to Super Metroid remade in this modern 3D style (or maybe a higher quality Switch equivalent) with these exact gameplay mechanics. This game is so much more enjoyable to control than Super Metroid was. The analog stick is so vital. They just need to combine the awesome gameplay mechanics with awesome and atmospheric environments and it'd be perfect.

Still an incredibly good game but there's no way I'll remember anything about it in a years time. Story and/or world design are the things that linger in my mind after I've finished playing something.

Edited on by Dezzy

Converted from Sony to Nintendo during 7th gen and never looked back.

noobish_hat

The original is way more memorable and atmospheric. I loved the large open caverns, they were a nice change from the claustrophobic layouts in the other games, and gave Metroid 2 a different feel.

noobish_hat

Bolt_Strike

Dezzy wrote:

I'd absolutely love to Super Metroid remade in this modern 3D style (or maybe a higher quality Switch equivalent) with these exact gameplay mechanics. This game is so much more enjoyable to control than Super Metroid was. The analog stick is so vital. They just need to combine the awesome gameplay mechanics with awesome and atmospheric environments and it'd be perfect.

Yeah, I'd love to see Super Metroid remade like this. The gameplay would feel a lot more dynamic and attention grabbing with SR's gameplay mechanics. In general, I'd like a Super Metroid remake to introduce its own unique mechanic or gameplay hook though, one of the big things I didn't like about it and why I find it's an overrated game is because the gameplay just isn't as interesting after you've played other Metroid games, it just feels like yet another Metroid at that point.

Also, Maridia needs a major overhaul and more suit upgrades/missions. It's way too linear and there's really not much to do there except fight Draygon and get the Space Jump. IDK what it is about late game Metroid areas but they always feel really barren and linear (Phazon Mines and the Ing Hive half of Sanctuary Fortress being other examples). Maybe throw in the Spider Ball there, that'd be a nice addition.

Bolt_Strike

3DS Friend Code: 4725-8075-8961 | Nintendo Network ID: Bolt_Strike

Alantor28

Hey, I have a question. How many playthroughs should I do in this game? I wanted to get all items in the game, but I'm afraid I will take too long and get a ending if I take too long. Some suggestions would be helpful.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6488-5483-0698
PSN: MMX20

NintendoPete

to get all items - it took me approx. 14h

NintendoPete

MarcelRguez

Same here, first 100% playthrough took me 14h. Haven't had the itch to replay it yet.

MarcelRguez

Dezzy

Metroid games aren't really replayable games imo. I've never replayed any of them. Still only played about half the series though.

noobish_hat

Lol what the hell are you talking about? Super Metroid is probably the greatest speedrunning game ever made. Designed to be relplayed.

noobish_hat

MarcelRguez

They have multiple endings tied to completion percentage and time spent. They're meant to be replayed.

The thing is, you can finish games like Super and Zero Mission in less than two hours without much effort at all. I don't think that's possible at all with Samus Returns.

MarcelRguez

kkslider5552000

So I 100% the game and my feelings are...exactly the same. I did like how they did late game item collection more than most Metroid games and it kinda had a Zero Mission twist to go along with that (though not quite as cool).

But otherwise, it's a good game that is only mildly disappointing considering the high standards of the games that followed the original Metroid.

Dezzy

Very near the end now. Onto the last area. It's been a great game and an essential addition to the already-godlike 3DS library.
I think I'll probably sell it as soon as I'm finished though. It doesn't feel at all replayable.

Henmii

Now that I am almost at the finish (1 Metroid to go, and of course item collecting), I must say I quite like it. I wasn't impressed at first, but I liked it better and better the farther I got. Its not Zero mission/fusion level but it certainly isn't bad. I appreciate how big it is (easily the longest 2d Metroid).

Henmii

Henmii

Update: Beat the endbosses yesterday. They where hard (especially the very last boss). Overall the difficulty was spot-on.

I wonder what's next for Mercury steam regarding Metroid (assuming Nintendo let them make another one, I don't know anything about sales). Will they do a totally new sidescrolling Metroid, or a Super Metroid remake (most likely the latter)? It could also be a Fusion remake though because the after credits scene shows a creature that gets taken over by a x-parasite

I wonder if they are capable of doing a first-person title, a good one. If so, and with a proper budget it could be a really strong game. I'll say this because I feel they can do better then Samus Returns, with the right backing.

And about the real endboss I liked what they did with Ridley's color. He was blue-ish, but thanks to baby metroid sucking (lol) he turns more the red/purple color he has in Super Metroid. A nice touch. What I hate though is that if you haven't fully explored the starting area you can't do this anymore after the first endboss, because Ridley is waiting at your ship. The result: I have ugly blank spaces on my map. And I did have one soft-lock during the fight. During one attempt the game froze while Ridley was falling. Luckily I could enter the menu and go back to the last checkpoint!

Also, the last piece of artwork definitely teases another Metroid game whether it will be a sidescroller or Prime 4. will it be about evil Chozo?

I found every item today, some I had to look up though. It took me almost 19 and a half hours. Diggernaut was possibly the coolest boss

Edited on by Henmii

Henmii

Ninfan

Suppose someone said this before but are they not making the new metroid game first person .don't think I'll bother playing it . Really is bad news though

Ninfan

yokokazuo

Recently started Fusion mode to try for a speed run of that, but judging by my playtime I won’t be hitting the first ending if I continue... I saved sometimes during an area, but also after finishing one and both area 1 and 2 took about an hour each. Is there a recommended time for each area I should try to hit?

My backloggery

3DS Friend Code: 1418-6707-5664 | Nintendo Network ID: yokokazuo

Dogorilla

@Ninfan Are you talking about Metroid Prime 4? There hasn't been any footage of it yet but it will almost certainly be first person just like the other 3 Metroid Prime games.

Currently Playing: The World Ends With You (Switch), Hollow Knight (Switch), Ace Attorney: Dual Destinies (3DS), Earthbound (SNES Classic)

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic