Forums

Topic: Metroid: Samus Returns

Posts 741 to 748 of 748

Spoony_Tech

@BLP_Software It's probably coupled with the fact I'm getting older and I know one day I will have bad arthritis. Boss fights are too long for my hands to handle lol

John 8:7 He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone.

MERG said:

If I was only ever able to have Monster Hunter and EO games in the future, I would be a happy man.

WHAT IS RETRO DOING??!!

Switch Friend Code: SW-7353-2587-4117 | 3DS Friend Code: 3050-7580-4390 | Nintendo Network ID: SpoonyTech | Twitter:

adamkop

@Spoony_Tech
There's like 15$ grip for the 3DS on ebay. Get one and you can forget about cramps. I wish that Nintendo released an official grip, but truth to be said, everything should work.
Samus Returns really benefits from that since you constantly need to do circular motions on the analog stick and the 3DS tends to slip. Final boss gets much easier if you can hold your console properly

adamkop

Aidan7707

there's alot of comments here...

i'm a sandwich.

subpopz

I realize I'm behind here, as I only recently was able to get and play this. Amazing game. I had the original as a kid and it was the first Metroid game I completed. They really added a lot more substance to Metroid II. I like the updated look of the evolved Metroids. The scene where you first encounter the Zeta Metroid so reminded me of Alien. The Omega's were awesome to fight, I really enjoyed them. The robot battle was the only addition that felt like an unnecessary one. It kinda felt out of place.
One of the best additions was near the end - since the game is still pretty new, I'll hide it
I wondered a couple times while playing if they would add to the end, like they did with Zero Mission. Having Ridley ambush Samus ties with Super Metroid so well. The Pirates knew where Metroids came from, so it makes sense he went there to look for more. But now, it also makes sense that Ridley knew there was a baby that Samus took off-planet and ties to his intro in Super very well. Samus and the baby fighting him together strengthens what happens in Super as well as the bond that was implied before, as we can see it forming as they fight together. This really shows why the baby does what it does at the end of Super Metroid (which it does to Ridley to a lesser degree than it ends up doing to Mother Brain).
This game and Super Metroid tell a fair amount of story and manage to convey emotion without ever speaking a word. I really liked it when Samus was a lot more silent. You don't always need a lot of dialog and voice acting to convey something.
All in all, fantastic game and I absolutely loved it. It took 13 years to get another sidescrolling Metroid (Zero Mission being the previous in '04) and thankfully, it was worth the wait. Not many games would live up to a 13 year hype, but this one did for me and then some.

The scene with the X parasite at the end was very good as well to tie into that game - I hope this is a hint at a remake of that game as well)

meleebrawler wrote:

I wonder, if this game just answered the question Space Pirates have struggling with throughout the Prime games regarding Metroids: what exactly IS the energy that they drain from their victims, that ends up killing them? Perhaps, it is Aeion. Every living being generates this, but perhaps the life-forms of SR388 were particularly rich with it, drawing the Chozo there to learn more about it and how it could be used.
Then they discover (or accidentally create) X parasites, beings composed entirely of this energy. In response they create Metroids designed specifically to feast on this energy to counter them, as well as being able to turn that Aeion into more conventional energy for their own uses

Even if Aeion never gets mentioned as such again outside this game, it's an interesting way of seeing things.

if you get 100% and unlock all the Chozo memories, they depict this almost exactly (except the X parasites are native to SR388 and not created by the Chozo).
Speaking of the memories....I get it all except #11. What happened there?
The memories show the Chozo landing on SR388, discovering Aeion from deceased creatures. They research Aeion until the X parasite shows up. The Chozo protect themselves from the X parasites, while creating Metroids to fight them. The Metroids are a success and drive the X parasites back by absorbing the Aeion from them. Things are fine for a while and Chozo and Metroids coexist.....until the Metroids begin to evolve. The Chozo lose control of them and seal them away in the planet (though clearly not all of them since one was found and caused the events of the first game). All is fine until memory 11.....some of the Chozo turn on each other? Some have killed others? Were the Chozo on SR388 executed by their own people for creating Metroids, a destructive organism that couldn't be controlled? Rogue faction looking to steal Metroids? What does 2D/10 mean?Everything in this game tied into existing lore very neatly, except this one thing. Is this referencing anything currently in canon that I forgot about? Just something for us to speculate? Or foreshadowing something for Prime 4? Or forshadowing...dare I say it....Metroid Dread?

Edited on by subpopz

subpopz

meleebrawler

@subpopz Well, the idea that there are still Chozo out there is brought up in Prime 3, with Elysian lore mentioning survivors from Tallon IV fleeing somewhere. You also have to consider that, in an even more distant past, they were primarily a warrior race before moving to a life of pacifism and research. Guess it isn't a stretch to say not all Chozo were happy with those changes. If Samus does end up facing these "rogue" Chozo, they'd be her first opponents to match, or maybe even exceed her on a technological level without being a clone.

All the Prime games take place before this one, and 4 looks like no exception. That one seems to be focusing more on Sylux and what he plans to do with Metroids, though the Chozo making an appearance isn't out of the question. The Prime games are in a funny spot where, although unquestionably canon, are written in a way that allows them to be taken completely out of consideration and still be left with a coherent plot. Take this game's Proteus Ridley, for example. Whether you consider his state either a result following Zero Mission or Prime 3 (assuming he doesn't appear in 4), both are valid explanations. So if I had to guess, the eleventh image is foreshadowing the story of a new 2D, or at least non-Prime, entry, likely following Fusion. I guess an evil Chozo uprising would be a good way to change the subject of Samus's and Adam's recent insubordination .

Alone, a force. Together, a force of nature.

3DS FC: 2535-3888-1548

3DS Friend Code: 2535-3888-1548 | Nintendo Network ID: meleebrawler

subpopz

meleebrawler wrote:

All the Prime games take place before this one, and 4 looks like no exception. That one seems to be focusing more on Sylux and what he plans to do with Metroids, though the Chozo making an appearance isn't out of the question.

I know they are, but the Chozo memory in this game predates the events in game and could thus be related to Prime 4. Sylux could be connected to the Chozo in that memory in some way, if they continue with that thread. I know that was the rumour even before Prime 4 was announced, but you never know with Nintendo.
Beyond Fusion would be nice, involving the Chozo at that point in the timeline would open a way for Samus to reacquire her proper suit instead of continuing in the Fusion suit (I liked the game, but don't like the look of that suit compared to her usual Varia/Gravity suit).
In any case, I just hope that memory 11 is foreshadowing something upcoming and they don't just leave it open to speculation.

subpopz

meleebrawler

@subpopz Sylux's schtick is hating the Federation (and Samus by proxy). The Chozo, even potential warring ones have no beef whatsoever with the former, as neither seems to have existed in the same period (otherwise Federation tech would be way better, and Sylux wouldn't steal from them if he had superior Chozo tech to work with). With his M.O, working with Pirates seems far more likely.

Alone, a force. Together, a force of nature.

3DS FC: 2535-3888-1548

3DS Friend Code: 2535-3888-1548 | Nintendo Network ID: meleebrawler

DiscoGentleman

subpopz wrote:

The scene where you first encounter the Zeta Metroid so reminded me of Alien.

yesssss!
I hope they get even more alien-esque with this series.

Dance | with | the | Disco.
Nintendo Switch Friend Code:
SW-6154-3556-8607
If you are going to send me a friend request, @ mention me ahead of time or your request will be ignored.

3DS Friend Code: 5112-3638-7349 | Nintendo Network ID: DiscoGentleman

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic