Forums

Topic: Metroid: Samus Returns

Posts 681 to 700 of 716

Haruki_NLI

@Spoony_Tech Look up the Spider Spark technique. Thats how you get past the red spikes. There is no other Spider Ball upgrade beyond Spring Ball.

And if you think this is hand crampy then boy, there are worse games.

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

Spoony_Tech

@BLP_Software It's probably coupled with the fact I'm getting older and I know one day I will have bad arthritis. Boss fights are too long for my hands to handle lol

John 8:7 He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone.

MERG said:

If I was only ever able to have Monster Hunter and EO games in the future, I would be a happy man.

I'm memory of @Mr_Trill_281 (rip) 3-25-18

Switch Friend Code: SW-7353-2587-4117 | 3DS Friend Code: 3050-7580-4390 | Nintendo Network ID: SpoonyTech | Twitter:

adamkop

@Spoony_Tech
There's like 15$ grip for the 3DS on ebay. Get one and you can forget about cramps. I wish that Nintendo released an official grip, but truth to be said, everything should work.
Samus Returns really benefits from that since you constantly need to do circular motions on the analog stick and the 3DS tends to slip. Final boss gets much easier if you can hold your console properly

adamkop

meleebrawler

@subpopz Well, the idea that there are still Chozo out there is brought up in Prime 3, with Elysian lore mentioning survivors from Tallon IV fleeing somewhere. You also have to consider that, in an even more distant past, they were primarily a warrior race before moving to a life of pacifism and research. Guess it isn't a stretch to say not all Chozo were happy with those changes. If Samus does end up facing these "rogue" Chozo, they'd be her first opponents to match, or maybe even exceed her on a technological level without being a clone.

All the Prime games take place before this one, and 4 looks like no exception. That one seems to be focusing more on Sylux and what he plans to do with Metroids, though the Chozo making an appearance isn't out of the question. The Prime games are in a funny spot where, although unquestionably canon, are written in a way that allows them to be taken completely out of consideration and still be left with a coherent plot. Take this game's Proteus Ridley, for example. Whether you consider his state either a result following Zero Mission or Prime 3 (assuming he doesn't appear in 4), both are valid explanations. So if I had to guess, the eleventh image is foreshadowing the story of a new 2D, or at least non-Prime, entry, likely following Fusion. I guess an evil Chozo uprising would be a good way to change the subject of Samus's and Adam's recent insubordination .

Alone, a force. Together, a force of nature.

3DS FC: 2535-3888-1548

3DS Friend Code: 2535-3888-1548 | Nintendo Network ID: meleebrawler

meleebrawler

@subpopz Sylux's schtick is hating the Federation (and Samus by proxy). The Chozo, even potential warring ones have no beef whatsoever with the former, as neither seems to have existed in the same period (otherwise Federation tech would be way better, and Sylux wouldn't steal from them if he had superior Chozo tech to work with). With his M.O, working with Pirates seems far more likely.

Alone, a force. Together, a force of nature.

3DS FC: 2535-3888-1548

3DS Friend Code: 2535-3888-1548 | Nintendo Network ID: meleebrawler

Dezzy

Finally got round to playing this, after buying it at christmas.

Really really good so far. Gameplay and design wise it's just as good as Super Metroid. The only thing that's noticeably worse is the environments don't create the same kind of atmosphere as Super Metroid seemed to almost perfect.

The counter move is awesome though and so is the 360 degree aiming. That was always one of the biggest annoyances with Super Metroid.

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

kkslider5552000

I'm at area 5 of this game. Still not entirely sure how to feel about it. Because it's
A. a return of one of my favorite franchises
B. not as good as AM2R
C. Objectively better than AM2R in several signficant ways
D. A remake of Metroid 2 in the first place

it's really really weird to try to judge as a whole, especially compared to other games in the series. It's very good even at worst though. But yeah, right now, Samus Returns arguably plays better than AM2R and does a way better job of adapting the actual Metroid fights and the journey to deal with them, but I still prefer AM2R as a Metroid game as a whole? It's weird. Props to this game for being the only one of the three to make me consistently like Area 3 though (worst part of AM2R by a country mile is the half of Area 3 that isn't mechanical focused).

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

MarcelRguez

kkslider5552000 wrote:

But yeah, right now, Samus Returns arguably plays better than AM2R and does a way better job of adapting the actual Metroid fights and the journey to deal with them, but I still prefer AM2R as a Metroid game as a whole? It's weird.

Right with you on that one. It is a weird entry, even without comparing it with AM2R. Part of it for me is that most rooms feel very "samey", were it not for the map I would have been almost as lost as in the original. It's not a game suited for speedrunning either, although that might be Metroid II's fault.

So yeah, it's easily in the lower end of the 2D Metroid games, as far as I'm concerned. Slightly worse than AM2R, more or less on par with Fusion.

MarcelRguez

3DS Friend Code: 3308-4605-6296 | Nintendo Network ID: Marce2240 | Twitter:

kkslider5552000

I mean, it's in the lower end of 2d Metroid in the same way I consider the Oracle games in the lower end of top down Zelda. I have problems with it and it fails to live up to the series' high points but I'd still vastly prefer playing it over...most games.

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

MarcelRguez

Same, really. I don't want to come across like I hate the game or anything, I just think the M2 skeleton holds it back a bit. It's still fantastic, but I'd like to see what MercurySteam and Nintendo could do if they made an entirely original entry.

MarcelRguez

Dezzy

Gameplay wise, I'd say this is possibly the best in the series.

It really fails with environmental design though. They've gone for quantity over quality. And the bosses aren't particularly interesting.

I'd absolutely love to Super Metroid remade in this modern 3D style (or maybe a higher quality Switch equivalent) with these exact gameplay mechanics. This game is so much more enjoyable to control than Super Metroid was. The analog stick is so vital. They just need to combine the awesome gameplay mechanics with awesome and atmospheric environments and it'd be perfect.

Still an incredibly good game but there's no way I'll remember anything about it in a years time. Story and/or world design are the things that linger in my mind after I've finished playing something.

Edited on by Dezzy

noobish_hat

The original is way more memorable and atmospheric. I loved the large open caverns, they were a nice change from the claustrophobic layouts in the other games, and gave Metroid 2 a different feel.

noobish_hat

Bolt_Strike

Dezzy wrote:

I'd absolutely love to Super Metroid remade in this modern 3D style (or maybe a higher quality Switch equivalent) with these exact gameplay mechanics. This game is so much more enjoyable to control than Super Metroid was. The analog stick is so vital. They just need to combine the awesome gameplay mechanics with awesome and atmospheric environments and it'd be perfect.

Yeah, I'd love to see Super Metroid remade like this. The gameplay would feel a lot more dynamic and attention grabbing with SR's gameplay mechanics. In general, I'd like a Super Metroid remake to introduce its own unique mechanic or gameplay hook though, one of the big things I didn't like about it and why I find it's an overrated game is because the gameplay just isn't as interesting after you've played other Metroid games, it just feels like yet another Metroid at that point.

Also, Maridia needs a major overhaul and more suit upgrades/missions. It's way too linear and there's really not much to do there except fight Draygon and get the Space Jump. IDK what it is about late game Metroid areas but they always feel really barren and linear (Phazon Mines and the Ing Hive half of Sanctuary Fortress being other examples). Maybe throw in the Spider Ball there, that'd be a nice addition.

Bolt_Strike

Switch Friend Code: SW-5621-4055-5722 | 3DS Friend Code: 4725-8075-8961 | Nintendo Network ID: Bolt_Strike

Alantor28

Hey, I have a question. How many playthroughs should I do in this game? I wanted to get all items in the game, but I'm afraid I will take too long and get a ending if I take too long. Some suggestions would be helpful.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6488-5483-0698
PSN: MMX20

Switch Friend Code: SW-6488-5483-0698

NintendoPete

to get all items - it took me approx. 14h

NintendoPete

MarcelRguez

Same here, first 100% playthrough took me 14h. Haven't had the itch to replay it yet.

MarcelRguez

Dezzy

Metroid games aren't really replayable games imo. I've never replayed any of them. Still only played about half the series though.

noobish_hat

Lol what the hell are you talking about? Super Metroid is probably the greatest speedrunning game ever made. Designed to be relplayed.

noobish_hat

MarcelRguez

They have multiple endings tied to completion percentage and time spent. They're meant to be replayed.

The thing is, you can finish games like Super and Zero Mission in less than two hours without much effort at all. I don't think that's possible at all with Samus Returns.

MarcelRguez

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic