Forums

Topic: Metroid: Samus Returns

Posts 641 to 660 of 716

meleebrawler

Not sure what the beef with checkpoints are, Returns still gives you the option whether to use them or not, both for practical (had too little health/ammo going into a battle) or self-imposed limitation reasons.

While I can see the original having a ''scary'' atmosphere compared to it's remakes, I find Returns has both beat in regards to moment-to-moment gameplay intensity, mostly stemming from the melee counter and the more aggressive enemies it entails.

Alone, a force. Together, a force of nature.

3DS FC: 2535-3888-1548

3DS Friend Code: 2535-3888-1548 | Nintendo Network ID: meleebrawler

RR529

Man that Queen is tough! Tried her 5 times and still haven't been able to put her down.

I know what I'm supposed to be doing (and in fact make it a bit further each time), but trying to avoid those green orbs & her fire breath is a nightmare. I figured out the attack's pattern in the second phase, but I see no way out of taking damage in it's third phase variant.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

meleebrawler

@RR529 There isn't much to dodging that particular attack other than precise Space Jumping. If you stay grounded during the first part you should eventually make out a relatively open spot to dodge the second. Using Lightning Armour during this phase is also highly recommended.

RR529

Made it through the fight last night.

Anyhow, I think I'm pretty much done with the game (I think I just have to return to my ship), but there are a few upgrades I still can't obtain. All of which are protected by spiked hallways that don't have grapple points. One of which is a Power Bomb upgrade in area 4 I think, which has a breakable grapple block, but my grapple beam isn't long enough to reach it. The other one, in Area 7 (Super Missile, I believe), doesn't even seem to have a grapple block, hidden or otherwise.

Is there a grapple beam extension upgrade I somehow missed?

Edited on by RR529

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

Haruki_NLI

@RR529 Look up the Spiderspark technique.

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

Pho

@RR529 Spider ball to a wall and power bomb will launch you.

Poyo! <3

3DS Friend Code: 1950-8691-6279 | Nintendo Network ID: xPH03N1Xx86

RR529

Thanks, that definitely worked.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

Araquanid

You don't even have to power bomb, you can just spider ball across the appropriate wall.

plus you need your power bombs to actually kill the queen sooner, when she's down just roll into her with your no damage aeon and then power bomb, three times ded

3DS FC: 0774-5098-1425
Pokemon Sun IGN: Joe
My Shinies
(User name changed in November 2016, MegaBeedrill)

3DS Friend Code: 0774-5098-1425 | Nintendo Network ID: FreakyMantis17 | Twitter:

Haruki_NLI

@Araquanid I very much doubt you can Spider Ball down a corridor where both walls are covered in spikes

Araquanid

@BLP_Software

I meant for queen metroid fight, reading through I probably should've specified.

actually I think I might've misread something entirely thinking that was still the topic.

Edited on by Araquanid

3DS FC: 0774-5098-1425
Pokemon Sun IGN: Joe
My Shinies
(User name changed in November 2016, MegaBeedrill)

3DS Friend Code: 0774-5098-1425 | Nintendo Network ID: FreakyMantis17 | Twitter:

Bolt_Strike

BLP_Software wrote:

@RR529 Look up the Spiderspark technique.

Is that what they're calling it?

Bolt_Strike

Switch Friend Code: SW-5621-4055-5722 | 3DS Friend Code: 4725-8075-8961 | Nintendo Network ID: Bolt_Strike

Haruki_NLI

@Bolt_Strike I assume so. It functions like the Shinespark.

Bolt_Strike

BLP_Software wrote:

@Bolt_Strike I assume so. It functions like the Shinespark.

Not quite. This technique isn't based on the Speed Booster (as it doesn't exist in this game having been replaced by Phase Drift), so it's not really a Shinespark.

Bolt_Strike

Switch Friend Code: SW-5621-4055-5722 | 3DS Friend Code: 4725-8075-8961 | Nintendo Network ID: Bolt_Strike

Haruki_NLI

@Bolt_Strike I say it functions like the Shinespark in that the resulting move, the actual Shinespark, was a single directional, immovable, incredible fast, glowing push in one direction.

The Spiderspark, as I have seen it called, is like the Shinespark, in that the resulting move, is a single directional, immovable, incredibly fast, glowing push in one direction.

RR529

Just finished it up!

Won't go into deep thoughts yet to let it sink in, but I enjoyed it. The Ridley fight was suprisingly easy. No puzzle like weakness to exploit, just dodge & blast. Not that I'm complaining, lol. Really liked the after credits scene with the X-Parasite. I was wondering if they were going to bring them up.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

meleebrawler

@RR529 Well, that's what Ridley battles have always been about. No fancy tricks on either side, just relentless slugfests. This is the first time in a 2D title that Ridley moves reactively based on your position rather than randomly flying about. So while this does make him easier to predict, it also means you have to actively dodge every attack he makes.

kkslider5552000

I'm not too far into the game. I'm enjoying it but at this point I'm convinced that Nintendo should never have released a system marketed on 3D without the improvements put into the New 3DS. I'm not saying anything new I'm sure.

Also, people telling me it is better than AM2R, the game I've enjoyed most in the past 2 years...probably not a good idea. I...doubt it will live up to that. It's unfair to expect nearly any game (arguably even an official Metroid) to those standards.

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

Bolt_Strike

kkslider5552000 wrote:

Also, people telling me it is better than AM2R, the game I've enjoyed most in the past 2 years...probably not a good idea. I...doubt it will live up to that. It's unfair to expect nearly any game (arguably even an official Metroid) to those standards.

You should know pretty soon if you're enjoying it more than AM2R, a lot of the praise for this game relates to the new mechanics, the 360 degree aiming, the Melee Counter, Scan Pulse, teleport stations, etc.

Bolt_Strike

Pho

That reminds me, I should try and track down AM2R. I'm on a big Metroid kick right now, currently playing Corruption, then Zero Mission and Other M next.

Poyo! <3

3DS Friend Code: 1950-8691-6279 | Nintendo Network ID: xPH03N1Xx86

bellow

My time was nearly twenty one hours. And I didn't feel I was going particularly slow. I hope there's a switch version in the future, so I can work on a speed run, something in the 16 to 18 hour mark😀

bellow

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic