Forums

Topic: Metroid: Samus Returns

Posts 601 to 620 of 716

meleebrawler

@BLP_Software Well then it's official; 2D Metroid fans have impossible standards and won't accept even the slightest deviations from Super's formula. And if fans are going to be THIS stubborn about what they want out of this series, maybe fan-games is all the series is good for.

Alone, a force. Together, a force of nature.

3DS FC: 2535-3888-1548

3DS Friend Code: 2535-3888-1548 | Nintendo Network ID: meleebrawler

Haruki_NLI

@meleebrawler "The counter is relied on too much"
"Its too hard. Enemies hit too hard"
"The game doesnt convey things very well"
"Its not very varied"
"Why cant I use the dpad"

Stuff like that. And personal complaints are fine but loads of people are coming away from this and saying...its bad. I thought it was great but im often an outlier...

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

meleebrawler

@BLP_Software I guess it isn't as simple as I made it out to be in my tiny tirade, but the point still stands that the fans seem to be convinced Super Metroid is absolute perfection and any other game with flaws, however minor or differences from it are trash compared to it. It's probably why AM2R is better received among those because it plays closer to Super than this game.

And of course Other M, a game that, on it's own merits is average at worst, gets lambasted as being much worse than it really is due to those same inflated standards.

Edited on by meleebrawler

MarcelRguez

meleebrawler wrote:

And of course Other M, a game that, on it's own merits is average at worst

Average at what, exactly? I'd say that about the controls, but luckily people judge the game by the whole package and not only the gameplay part.

I mean, YMMV and all, but I would call the art design, level design and script of that game straight up bad, without a doubt. Do not forget that this was Nintendo's attempt at a cinematic action game, it should be judged as such. Even when compared to Ninja Gaiden III, another game from the same developer with similarly bad reputation, it still fares badly.

MarcelRguez

3DS Friend Code: 3308-4605-6296 | Nintendo Network ID: Marce2240 | Twitter:

kkslider5552000

"This remake of a very flawed game isn't as good as one of the most beloved games of all time" is not the best way to convince me a game is bad.

"THIS JRPG ISN'T AS GOOD AS CHRONO TRIGGER, 0/10 > : ("

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

Nin10dad

Love this game but giving myself some serious carpal tunnel syndrome after a prolonged sesh. I do miss the comfort of my Switch right about now.
Got to the boss of Area 6 and after a few attempts with very achey wrists, decided to call it a night.

nintendad.co.uk

Twitter @nintendad

Switch - SW-5274-3655-0708

Bolt_Strike

meleebrawler wrote:

@BLP_Software I guess it isn't as simple as I made it out to be in my tiny tirade, but the point still stands that the fans seem to be convinced Super Metroid is absolute perfection and any other game with flaws, however minor or differences from it are trash compared to it. It's probably why AM2R is better received among those because it plays closer to Super than this game.

I don't really see how AM2R is any closer to Super, it still has the same linear structure and lack of backtracking. You can't really change that without getting rid of the Metroid based progression system that defines the game. All AM2R really has going for it is more bosses and more lore, otherwise SR is by far the better game.

Bolt_Strike

Switch Friend Code: SW-5621-4055-5722 | 3DS Friend Code: 4725-8075-8961 | Nintendo Network ID: Bolt_Strike

TuVictus

You know, for a game that apparently might not be doing well, I haven't seen a single physical copy down here in Miami. I hope that's indicative of the rest of the world. No games left and definitely no amiibo. At the very least we can't say Metroid is unpopular.

TuVictus

Old_Goat_Ninja

G0dlike wrote:

Love this game but giving myself some serious carpal tunnel syndrome after a prolonged sesh. I do miss the comfort of my Switch right about now.
Got to the boss of Area 6 and after a few attempts with very achey wrists, decided to call it a night.

Same issue here. Usually why I quit for the day. Game is great, but ergos and prolonged play is difficult.

Switch: SW-8029-5307-6701
PSN: Old_Goat_Ninja
XBL: Old Goat Ninja
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/OldGoatNinja

Namco

So Fusion mode... Metroid's energy ball insta kills you at full health even with one health upgrade. 'nuff said

A piece of the Triforce appeared before you! (>'.')> Touch it now!

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2624-1857 | Nintendo Network ID: Acegamer-62

pixel_jones

I absolutely love Metroid: Samus Returns for 3DS! Until reading this post I've heard nothing but positive things about this game. Its challenging, but I'm really digging it and I've played all the Metroid games since I owned the original NES (including the fan remake). I hope this games sells tons of copies, so Nintendo finally realizes that fans (who have been bitching for years for a new Metroid side scroller) really do support a new Metroid game. Oh well, just my 2 cents.

pixel_jones

roy130390

pixel_jones wrote:

I absolutely love Metroid: Samus Returns for 3DS! Until reading this post I've heard nothing but positive things about this game. Its challenging, but I'm really digging it and I've played all the Metroid games since I owned the original NES (including the fan remake). I hope this games sells tons of copies, so Nintendo finally realizes that fans (who have been bitching for years for a new Metroid side scroller) really do support a new Metroid game. Oh well, just my 2 cents.

Yeah, same here, I haven't seen negative opinions, at least from people that have it.

Switch Friend Code: SW-3916-4876-1970

meleebrawler

@Operative2-0 It may be indicative of America at least.

Spoony_Tech

Love Arlo! I agree with everything he says in this video. With a special guest appearance.....well sort of lol

John 8:7 He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone.

MERG said:

If I was only ever able to have Monster Hunter and EO games in the future, I would be a happy man.

I'm memory of @Mr_Trill_281 (rip) 3-25-18

Switch Friend Code: SW-7353-2587-4117 | 3DS Friend Code: 3050-7580-4390 | Nintendo Network ID: SpoonyTech | Twitter:

RR529

Love that wave beam! Makes clearing enemies so much easier!

Anyhow, I just entered area 3.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

Namco

*Minor spoilers about late bosses

I'm getting the hang of the insane Fusion mode. Just got to area 4, I want to clear this under 5 hours, but maybe that's asking too much because even a good speedrun almost takes about >3 hours in normal mode and this only my second playthrough. The question is can I kill the remaining 17 Metroid including the queen in under 2 hours? That's all the time I have left... Also I bet Diggernaut will be a huge pain. I can probably only take 3 or 4 hits till I'm dead. (Ignored most of the hidden upgrades) Wish me luck.

Edited on by Namco

bellow

I persevered with the game after my earlier post describing it as rather repetitive, and I'll say that I'm having a much better time if it now. I've got some decent power ups and I'm down with the 'flow' of the game. See how it goes, but I'm a lot happier at the mo. Still on area 2, mind😀

bellow

sr_388

@Sir_Anthony Surprisingly yes, you can. The first 4 sections take a lot longer than 5-8 and since dying doesn't affect the timer it goes quick. I surprised myself and actually got 3 hours 49 minutes (30% collected) on my second playthrough (Fusion Mode) and I am not a speed run person. I believe I was just over 2 hours when I finished Area 4. My main advice: Use the Lightning Shield a lot. A Lot. And watch out for those little bugs that blow up. Their explosions are like 800 damage.
Enjoy!

sr_388

Namco

@sr_388 Thanks! I also use the lightning shield all the time, there's no real drawback from doing that. Those suicidal ants do like over 9000 damage, having my shield active is the reason I'm alive after bumping into one of those pesky little fellows xD

I must've screwed up in area 5 somehow... I've yet to make my way out of there but only 10 minutes left to get that awesome below 4 hours ending screen T_T Next playthrough I guess...

bellow

Had a major play of this yesterday and did ten metroids in area three. I stopped when I got to what appears to be my first beastie in area 4.
Settled in to the rythym now, and realized my initial frustration was down to the game not wanting me to break the rules. I did a bomb hop in area 3 when I should have searched for the appropriate upgrades, and consequently ended up in backtrack hell.
These metroids hit pretty hard though. I'm glad they went with checkpoints, or I might have found it a bit frustrating by now.

bellow

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic