Forums

Topic: Metroid: Samus Returns

Posts 501 to 520 of 716

DoctorOverbuild

@JaxonH Amazingly I still haven't received my legacy edition from GAME.

My youtube channel for all your Nintendo News needs! - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIh04YEpt3b-z_sVY5YrZDA
The Fire Emblem Hype Is Always Strong!!!
NNID : DoctorOverbuild
3ds Friend Code : 5456 - 0350 - 6896

3DS Friend Code: 5456-0350-6896 | Nintendo Network ID: DoctorOverbuild | Twitter:

Bolt_Strike

I have never been more lost in a Metroid game as I have in Area 3. This place is so freaking huge and mazelike that I've been wandering around for hours and the only upgrade I've found is the Grapple Beam.

Not exactly a bad thing mind you as it goes to show just how much bigger and packed with content this game is, but I do wish I'd find some more upgrades soon (and no, don't tell me where they are, I want to find them myself).

Edited on by Bolt_Strike

Bolt_Strike

Switch Friend Code: SW-5621-4055-5722 | 3DS Friend Code: 4725-8075-8961 | Nintendo Network ID: Bolt_Strike

JaxonH

@DoctorOverbuild

And you're waiting on that to play? Hopefully it comes soon.

I can't wait to see that steelcase and art book. I thought for sure I had missed my chance to import that. Pulled it in the clutch...

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

Bolt_Strike

Untitled

Hey look, Metroid can crawl!

Bolt_Strike

Switch Friend Code: SW-5621-4055-5722 | 3DS Friend Code: 4725-8075-8961 | Nintendo Network ID: Bolt_Strike

Grumblevolcano

@JaxonH So you ordered the special edition from GAME yesterday?

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

JaxonH

@Grumblevolcano
Ya... talk about lucking out. I had actually contemplated paying some obnoxious sum on eBay... but I really only do that in extreme circumstances for things that I really really really want and missed (which is rare for me to miss something because usually our LINE group is absolutely on it when it comes to pre-orders of rare items, got EU SNES Classic, 2 separate NA preorders for SNES Classic, JP Super Famicom although I passed on that one, the deep red joycons from Japan, etc).

But ya I got the Metroid Limited Edition version from NA, the Metroid New 3DS XL, the amiibo... I really wanted that EU special edition considering I have the preorder art book for Metroid Other M, as well as the steelcase and art book for Metroid Prime Trilogy. Would be a gaping hole in the Metroid collection...

Did you order the special edition too?

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

meleebrawler

You just gotta admire all the little tricks the devs put in to stop certain actions. Slippery walls that block both wall-jumping and Spider Ball. Gusts of wind that blow your bombs off-course. And literally every single beam is required to open certain doors, even the Charge, Spazer and Plasma beams.

Surprised by how weak the Ice Beam is, probably even weaker than the NES iteration. Still handy versus Metroids and I guess the low damage helps keep your makeshift platforms from dying.

@JaxonH Just wait 'till you take that soundtrack CD out of the box. It has a surprise!

You know, it's a funny story how I managed to get the physical steelcase cover for Prime Trilogy... I pretty much just stumbled upon the single remaining copy at a Gamestop during a trip. Wasn't even trying to search for it all, it was just there for 60 bucks.

Edited on by meleebrawler

Alone, a force. Together, a force of nature.

3DS FC: 2535-3888-1548

3DS Friend Code: 2535-3888-1548 | Nintendo Network ID: meleebrawler

JaxonH

@meleebrawler

That's awesome! Me, I had a coupon for buy 2 get 1 free used games at GameStop, and what I did was I searched for stores that had stock and then I called them up and asked them to ship to my local store.

I ended up getting Metroid Prime Trilogy steelcase edition, Xenoblade Chronicles and Fire Emblem Radiant Dawn for $100 total.

Bolt_Strike

meleebrawler wrote:

You just gotta admire all the little tricks the devs put in to stop certain actions. Slippery walls that block both wall-jumping and Spider Ball. Gusts of wind that blow your bombs off-course. And literally every single beam is required to open certain doors, even the Charge, Spazer and Plasma beams.

Yeah, that was one thing I didn't like about some of the older 2D Metroid games, some of the powerups just didn't feel useful in the game other than "LOL power boost" (the Spazer and Plasma Beams most notably), you didn't use them to access new areas or interact with the environment or anything. This game has really made every one of Samus' abilities feel useful in some way. Even the Aeion abilities are useful regardless of your skill level, I was expecting them to be helper abilities for newer players that might have trouble, but there's scenarios in this game where even Metroid veterans will want to make use of them. They've really designed this game in a way that encourages you to make the most of what you have.

Bolt_Strike

JaxonH

I love this game, and I really think they made the right decision going with 3D models in a 2.5D aesthetic... the 3D really makes it pop like a diorama.

The core formula is a little different then the traditional games though. Which can obviously be attributed to the fact it's a remake of the second game which took a different approach. Finding all 40 Metroids. But they have changed a lot to where it's very similar to traditional games- The pacing of finding abilities is definitely different and heavy on the front end... but I'm just rolling with it. It's far more similar to traditional entries then a straight up remake would've been so I'm grateful for that.

But it's good though. Really good. I'm getting pampered by the Aeon ability though.

sr_388

@JaxonH Congrats on getting the LE. I also managed to get in on the random Game restocking. I actually had ordered it from amazon.de but my bank blocked the charge thinking it was fraud and the order got canceled lol. So glad I managed to get it from Game.

I'm curious, is there anything the Special Edition has that the Legacy Edition doesn't? Just wondering since you said you got both.

sr_388

JaxonH

@sr_388
No. Special edition just has soundtrack. And the collectors box. But it's super nice, and is glossy metallic and embossed so that the image is kind of raised...

meleebrawler

@Bolt_Strike The only Aeion ability that feels designed to help new players and is never strictly required to get past an obstacle is Scan Pulse. But even as a veteran fresh to this game, using it near items I know about gives me more peace of mind about how to go about getting them than bombing everything.

Indeed I'm finding uses for the others outside of the things that require them. Using the Lightning Armour's enhanced melee to take out swarms of bugs quickly and the Beam Burst against those annoying turrets. And the game does encourage smart usage of the abilities too; Aeion drops frequently enough so that you always have some when you need it, but they also won't refill enough to prop up someone who uses them for everything unless there's a big orb nearby.

Alone, a force. Together, a force of nature.

3DS FC: 2535-3888-1548

3DS Friend Code: 2535-3888-1548 | Nintendo Network ID: meleebrawler

Haruki_NLI

So these blue crystals blocking things...how does one remove those? I have all the power ups and even discoevered the Spider Spark but I cant pass them..

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

Rudy_Manchego

Only played a few hours so far, hoping to get more done today but I absolutely love this game so far. The gameplay is familiar but different enough to give it its own flavour. I love the controls and think the developers have done a bang up job from what I have seen.

Now I may be an idiot, but there's one thing I am not sir, and that sir, is an idiot

My Nintendo: Rudy_Manchego | Twitter:

Luffymcduck

BLP_Software wrote:

So these blue crystals blocking things...how does one remove those? I have all the power ups and even discoevered the Spider Spark but I cant pass them..

Spoilers incoming:
Baby Metroid can destroy those blue crystals so after beating Metroid Queen you can explore those areas.

It would be great if David Wise made soundtracks to all future Nintendo games.

Bolt_Strike

meleebrawler wrote:

@Bolt_Strike The only Aeion ability that feels designed to help new players and is never strictly required to get past an obstacle is Scan Pulse. But even as a veteran fresh to this game, using it near items I know about gives me more peace of mind about how to go about getting them than bombing everything.

Indeed I'm finding uses for the others outside of the things that require them. Using the Lightning Armour's enhanced melee to take out swarms of bugs quickly and the Beam Burst against those annoying turrets. And the game does encourage smart usage of the abilities too; Aeion drops frequently enough so that you always have some when you need it, but they also won't refill enough to prop up someone who uses them for everything unless there's a big orb nearby.

I tend to use Scan Pulse near anything suspicious that I think could be hiding something, and it tends to confirm my suspicions. Definitely a great addition to the series even if it is just for helping newer players.

I also tend to use Beam Burst a lot on some of the tougher enemies, the swarms of enemies, the Autracks (which have gotten a LOT stronger in this game and won't hesitate to try and pick you off) before I got the Plasma Beam, and I've even experimented using it on the Gammas in a pinch.

Bolt_Strike

Haruki_NLI

100% get...and that final boss man. Wow. Can we have more badass stuff like that? Thats awesome. Like legit awesome.

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic