Forums

Topic: Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater 3D

Posts 221 to 240 of 515

DoctorWho

I just played the demo and i'm sadly underwhelmed. Terrific concept, story and overall design, but the controls just ruin it. Moving the camera with the ABXY buttons makes it so awkward. Not that it's impossible to play the game without the circle pad, but the overall feel of the game would feel a whole lot more maneuverable with a second analogue stick. I refuse to buy the peripheral for the benefit of one game only. So either I upgrade when the second generation 3DS comes along or I just never own MGS 3D. A shame because it really does seem like a great game and I was expecting this one to be amongst the highlights for 2012 on 3DS. Back to Resident Evil for now.

DoctorWho

Geonjaha

I just tried out the demo and for someone who has never before played a MGS game (tried the GBC one though - didnt like it) I must say I was very impressed. Although at first I was just being chomped on by crocs, I got to know the controls and really enjoy the gameplay. The demo's length was good as well, and made me want to go through it again and again. Granted I spent half of this demo time shooting at animals all over the place I think the game looks great and will probably consider picking it up.

Geonjaha

3DS Friend Code: 2277-6645-7215

Chrono_Cross

I found the demo to be awful. If the actual game is this bad, then I lost even more respect for my least favorite Metal Gear Solid game.

Just for you.
"I'm just a musical prostitute, my dear." - Freddie Mercury

Radixxs

The controls in the demo are almost unplayable, I'm frantically pressing the ABXY buttons trying to see what the hell is going on, but instead I just die.

I've got the body of a taut, pre-teen Swedish boy.
Covers & Korg DS-10 Originals.

Odnetnin

moomoo wrote:

EDIT: About the crocs, them being immotionless is kind of fun. Whenever they open their mouths, toss a grenade at them. They'll eat the live grenade and explode, at which point you can eat them (I'm not a sadist, just creative).

Now I'm starting to regret that I deleted the demo...twice.

About the controls, yes they're pretty horrible and I'm sure they would make boss fights near impossible, but really, if you play the demo a few times, you'll get used to them. I almost never die anymore (unless it's intentional by swallowing a fake death pill on the edge of a cliff ). And for anyone somehow having trouble with crocs, all you have to do is tranquilize 'em.

Six word TV reviews
The Worst Firework Displays of all Time

3DS Friend Code: 3093-7077-1059 | Twitter:

TeeJay

So...how do you swallow fake death pills? I see them in the menus but can't figure out how to equip them.

EDIT: Never mind! Figured out how to use items not long after posting, haha....after already going through the demo 4 times...

Edited on by TeeJay

If you add me, I need to at least know you or I won't add you back.

Switch Friend Code: SW-5283-4033-0929 | 3DS Friend Code: 2423-1923-3519 | Nintendo Network ID: TeeJay92

R-L-A-George

The demo is out for america, it was really weird for me.

R-L-A-George

3DS Friend Code: 1075-1459-7893 | Nintendo Network ID: Osaka7524 | Twitter:

kkslider5552000

So the demo being awful is a joke right? I enjoyed it, although admittedly I've never played the original and I haven't played any MGS game since Twin Snakes. Any problems were just typical MGS problems that are far less annoying than they would be in any other game. Of course I'm a huge fan of the GBA version of Tales of Phantasia so what do I know?

Also, it amuses me that a supposedly butchered port still has better 3D than Mario Kart 7.

Edited on by kkslider5552000

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

TeeJay

I agree with everyone saying they enjoyed the demo, and I've never played a MGS game either, so I think the problem here is that everyone is too spoiled by the original's controls to realize that the 3D version is still playable.

If you add me, I need to at least know you or I won't add you back.

Switch Friend Code: SW-5283-4033-0929 | 3DS Friend Code: 2423-1923-3519 | Nintendo Network ID: TeeJay92

zezhyrule

TeeJay wrote:

the 3D version is still playable.

You're right teejay, you know, that should be one of the selling points they print on the back of the box.

"MGS3 on the 3DS is playable"

Wow makes me wanna pick it up

Edit: After playing the demo... The graphics are horrible, the 3D is just nasty, and the framerate is bad. But the controls, even without the CPP, feel completely natural. I actually kinda like them, and crouch-walking is awesome. If they fix up some of the issues this wouldn't be too bad a version at all. As long as you play with the 3D off D:

I might just pick this up, I do love the game after all. The demo is incredibly misleading though. In the actual game there is a 30min cutscene before the part where the demo starts, and from the end of the demo to the next playable part there's another like 40min cutscene

Edited on by zezhyrule

[15:36] Corbs: Vita rules - 3DS drools!

zezloggery | i haz youtube | PSN ID: zezhyrule

[23:11] Phoen...

zezhyrule

Tech101 wrote:

This game was obviously designed around using the circle pad pro. It sucks otherwise. If you could aim the way snake is facing then it wouldn't be all that bad. However when you aim to fire you have to swing the camera all the way around. Really bad design choice.

Not sure if this has been answered, but have you ever tried looking through the options? There's clearly a setting to adjust that called "default AIM direction"

RoryLee

I didnt have any problems with the controls. So far I played without the CPP, and it all worked fine for me. And I am gonna use the CPP for my next playthrough. Make sure to toggle with the options before you start your game.

Nintendo ID: RoryLee
3DS: 3007-8085-6351

BadKitty

This Angel found the demo awful, controls how terrible, the picture pretty bad, and all i wanted to do was hug those crocodiles but no the game wouldn't let it go down that way

Meow~
BadKittysDomain!
[13:12] LordJumpMad stick his thong out at eme
[17:24] LordJumpMad: I will never male you happy >:[
[21:11] LordJumpMad: You insluted my words >:[
[16:32] turtlelink: gdi emmy. You'...

3DS Friend Code: 3952-7082-7558 | Twitter:

zezhyrule

Yeah I actually really like the controls and I don't have a CPP. But wow the demo was short, I got through it in like 10min D:

Radixxs

I played through the demo again. When you toggle to aim your tranquilizer in first person mode, the 3D effect toggles off. It really messes with your eyes. I enjoyed the demo, it's just too broken to have any precision without long practice sessions. And also, if you think the 3D effect in this demo is better than MK7, them I am sorry, but you are insane. There is no way I'm going to buy this game though, just too many things wrong with it.

Radixxs

zezhyrule wrote:

Turn 3D off. I never use it myself. Useless gimmick unless the game is built ground-up to take advantage of 3D.

I would normally disagree, but my eyes are still wigging out from all of that sudden 3D toggling.

Spoony_Tech

@Zezhyrule Yeah if you seen my more resent posts I figured out you could adjust the camera to face the way snake shoots.

John 8:7 He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone.

MERG said:

If I was only ever able to have Monster Hunter and EO games in the future, I would be a happy man.

I'm memory of @Mr_Trill_281 (rip) 3-25-18

Switch Friend Code: SW-7353-2587-4117 | 3DS Friend Code: 3050-7580-4390 | Nintendo Network ID: SpoonyTech | Twitter:

Odnetnin

So I might get this game and a CPP for my birthday at the end of July. Or get this now and Kid Icarus for my birthday, though MGS is more likely to have a price drop by then.

EDIT: For anyone who's played the original or the HD version or whatever: how is the content in this game (I've never owned an M game, though I have played a fair amount of Call of Duty and Halo)? The ESRB descriptor doesn't go into very much detail. I assume violence isn't too bad with the blood off, and apparently it's more about sneaking than killing anyways, but what about sexual content and language? There was like one bad word in the demo.

Edited on by Odnetnin

Six word TV reviews
The Worst Firework Displays of all Time

3DS Friend Code: 3093-7077-1059 | Twitter:

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.