Forums

Topic: Mario's Downgrade

Posts 121 to 140 of 144

GuSolarFlare

Artwark wrote:

OfficialRVGA wrote:

I don't see how someone could play a masterpiece like Super Mario 3D Land and say that Mario games are on a "downgrade". I guess its a matter of opinion but games like this are what Mario is all about, why ruin a good thing a fix something that isn't broken?

Its the problem with people who have grown up with him. There's nothing wrong with the Mario games infact its too impossible to find a bad Mario game with the exception of the Lost Levels.

don't you mean Mario is Missing?

goodbyes are a sad part of life but for every end there's a new beggining so one must never stop looking forward to the next dawn
now working at IBM as helpdesk analyst
my Backloggery

3DS Friend Code: 3995-7085-4333 | Nintendo Network ID: GustavoSF

Snagrio

GuSilverFlame wrote:

Artwark wrote:

OfficialRVGA wrote:

I don't see how someone could play a masterpiece like Super Mario 3D Land and say that Mario games are on a "downgrade". I guess its a matter of opinion but games like this are what Mario is all about, why ruin a good thing a fix something that isn't broken?

Its the problem with people who have grown up with him. There's nothing wrong with the Mario games infact its too impossible to find a bad Mario game with the exception of the Lost Levels.

The games that were not directly made by Nintendo and surrounding co. don't count, such as Hotel Mario and the like.

Snagrio

3DS Friend Code: 4081-5821-0404 | Nintendo Network ID: WingedFish64

GuSolarFlare

WingedSnagret wrote:

GuSilverFlame wrote:

Artwark wrote:

OfficialRVGA wrote:

The games that were not directly made by Nintendo and surrounding co. don't count, such as Hotel Mario and the like.

then I guess there's no Mario game that's REALLY bad(as in impossible to say it's not bad even if you liked it, at least of the ones I've played)

goodbyes are a sad part of life but for every end there's a new beggining so one must never stop looking forward to the next dawn
my Backloggery

kkslider5552000

I'd like to point out that the thread says downgrade. Considering Mario's heights with the Galaxy games or the NES/SNES/N64 days, it shouldn't even be a surprise to people that's a tough thing to be consistent with. It's like expecting every Pixar film to be as good as the first half of Wall-E but that doesn't mean I should defend Cars.

And while I bash some of these games (because more often than not they are honestly not as well made as the nostalgic games, particularly from a level design perspective imo), my issue comes far more from watching more interesting (not necessarily better...not always at least) titles DIE sales-wise on Nintendo console while Mario makes fairly samey games for a while and gets ALL the money and the fear that Nintendo doesn't need to make new Mario games anymore (though I'd like to believe they have enough self-respect that they'll want to). I'm not even saying I'm being entirely fair, but these are my honest opinions, and it has become the perfect opportunity to explore games and franchises I might have unfairly forgotten about otherwise.

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

Socar

Look I know we've all had nostalgia but let's face it, Mario is still the best. No matter how downgraded you feel about the series, somehow it will entertain you and everyone else. I loved Galaxy's story better than 2 but that does not mean 2 is bad. it just means that they didn't want to focus more on 2's story rather than the original because it Mario. When was the last time the story has ever been put well in a Mario game with the exception of the RPG series? Only one.

You can't expect Nintendo to meet your memory feel and make it like before because games change, we change. We like those games better than now because we grew up with them. Doesn't mean that you should hate games that are out now. Just saying.....

Edited on by Socar

After so long...I'm back. Don't ask why

Nintendo Network ID: ArtwarkSwark | Twitter:

kkslider5552000

I know people can be weird and nostalgia biased, so let me just say, for the record, my problem with recent Mario titles is the complete opposite. I think these games are the ones with nostalgia issues FOR people too obsessed with Mario being just as it was in their childhood. Like, I'm one of the 3 people that will still defend Sticker Star despite that game being VERY flawed and weird, because I at least appreciated that they tried for a different gameplay idea and it worked more times than people will admit. And while most of the Mario games are still fun, I respect Nintendo and the franchise too much to not criticize issues I've had with it. I'm fully aware that I've maybe needed a break from Mario titles, so that's a factor but I'm still certain I'm not wrong. I'm sorry.

again, I have no issue with 3D World and Mario Kart 8 will certainly be way better than the last one so there is improvement.

GuSolarFlare

kkslider5552000 wrote:

I know people can be weird and nostalgia biased, so let me just say, for the record, my problem with recent Mario titles is the complete opposite. I think these games are the ones with nostalgia issues FOR people too obsessed with Mario being just as it was in their childhood. Like, I'm one of the 3 people that will still defend Sticker Star despite that game being VERY flawed and weird, because I at least appreciated that they tried for a different gameplay idea and it worked more times than people will admit. And while most of the Mario games are still fun, I respect Nintendo and the franchise too much to not criticize issues I've had with it. I'm fully aware that I've maybe needed a break from Mario titles, so that's a factor but I'm still certain I'm not wrong. I'm sorry.

again, I have no issue with 3D World and Mario Kart 8 will certainly be way better than the last one so there is improvement.

exactly my thoughts! and if you know other two people that defend Sticker Star it makes me the 4th

my Backloggery

CM30

I'd rather a traditional game that does traditional things well than an 'original' one that does new things poorly.

It's one of many reasons I consider Mario & Luigi Dream Team two million times better than Paper Mario Sticker Star.

Try out Gaming Reinvented, my new gaming forum and website!
Also, if you're a Wario series fan, check out Wario Forums today! Your only place for Wario series discussion!
My 3DS Friend Code: 4983-5165-4...

Twitter:

kkslider5552000

CM30 wrote:

I'd rather a traditional game that does traditional things well than an 'original' one that does new things poorly.

It's one of many reasons I consider Mario & Luigi Dream Team two million times better than Paper Mario Sticker Star.

(insert why not both meme here)

Mansa

just so everyone know, mario's downgrade is not what I personally thought, I just looked at the ratings on ign, forums and discussions on the internet.

But still, anyone got any idea on what nintendo is going to do?
To me, with all the sequels, and new games, and spin-offs, mario is sorta unpredictable XD

thats my opinion at least.

I juxt realized how off topic we are from my Original Post.. :/

Thats okay, I like discussing this better

Edited on by Mansa

Mansa

Nintendo Network ID: Bronze

Apolloquis

CM30 wrote:

I agree with; I considered the preservation of the traditional battling mechanics of the Dream Team game better than the opposing new battling mechanics than of Sticker Star most notably with certain limitations of Stickers. However I still think it is an ok game but not really my cup of tea.

~Heyhey~ :]

3DS Friend Code = 4098 - 2313 - 4036
Nintendo Network ID = DarkRayquaza
[url=http://steamcommunity.com/id/
ancient-sacred-pheonix/] Steam Account [/url]

3DS Friend Code: 4098-2313-4036 | Nintendo Network ID: DarkRayquaza

Apolloquis

Bronze wrote:

just so everyone know, mario's downgrade is not what I personally thought, I just looked at the ratings on ign, forums and discussions on the internet.

But still, anyone got any idea on what nintendo is going to do?
To me, with all the sequels, and new games, and spin-offs, mario is sorta unpredictable XD

thats my opinion at least.

I juxt realized how off topic we are from my Original Post.. :/

Thats okay, I like discussing this better

I think they should make MKDD 2 or whatever they should be calling it. But a heard rumors that MK8 is going to have some sort of double team system implemented but I am not sure of it though.

feelthesarcasm

The problem is perspective. People are going to think differently based on where they enter the series.

Take M&L: Dream Team. A lot of people feel like that game was great but had too many tutorials, but for someone like me, who has never played a M&L RPG, I'm grateful for it because the controls were a bit out there (ie: needing to press A & B at the same time for jumping took getting use to).

I think 3D land was a fun game and hopefully the start to mario's revolution. All they need to do is keep expanding a little with more variety, originality and a little explorability. They have so many good ideas they can pull something from each one of the different Mario franchises and somehow blend them together. Mario 64 was great because it had puzzling, racing, an entire variety. Maybe take some of the ideas they have use for the Mario party minigames and expand on them as a one player experience.

But I think the first real thing they need to accomplish is some ONLINE co-op. I know Nintendo likes to believe that most gamers just live and play together locally but that's just not much of a reality for a lot of adult gamers. =(

Currently playing: M&L: Dream Team. Ace Attorney Dual Destinies

Waiting for: Kirby Triple Deluxe, Super Smash Bros, Puzzle & Dragons Z, Professor Layton vs. Ace Attorney

3DS Friend Code: 4484-9013-4735

Apolloquis

feelthesarcasm wrote:

The problem is perspective. People are going to think differently based on where they enter the series.

Take M&L: Dream Team. A lot of people feel like that game was great but had too many tutorials, but for someone like me, who has never played a M&L RPG, I'm grateful for it because the controls were a bit out there (ie: needing to press A & B at the same time for jumping took getting use to).

I think 3D land was a fun game and hopefully the start to mario's revolution. All they need to do is keep expanding a little with more variety, originality and a little explorability. They have so many good ideas they can pull something from each one of the different Mario franchises and somehow blend them together. Mario 64 was great because it had puzzling, racing, an entire variety. Maybe take some of the ideas they have use for the Mario party minigames and expand on them as a one player experience.

But I think the first real thing they need to accomplish is some ONLINE co-op. I know Nintendo likes to believe that most gamers just live and play together locally but that's just not much of a reality for a lot of adult gamers. =(

Online for plat former Mario games on the 3ds does sound good on paper. But the only thing which concerns me is that the many disconnections it would have not just for the singular player but for everyone in the game.

But I do think that it is a revolutionary ideal for the plat former on handheld but would it properly work in reality now? We might need to wait for some time.
Edit1: I know the online features have worked for Mario Kart 7.

Edit2: But i fully agree with the rest of your personal statement.

Edited on by Apolloquis

feelthesarcasm

ShadowLugia wrote:

[
Online for plat former Mario games on the 3ds does sound good on paper. But the only thing which concerns me is that the many disconnections it would have not just for the singular player but for everyone in the game.

But I do think that it is a revolutionary ideal for the plat former on handheld but would it properly work in reality now? We might need to wait for some time.

Very true. Platforms are pretty difficult to play with others online with connection and lag issues. Even on the consoles it's a problem. I use to play little big planet online and people would drop in and out of the level from connection issues and then just everyone keeping up with one another was sometimes a huge hassle. I'm not really sure how it would work

Currently playing: M&L: Dream Team. Ace Attorney Dual Destinies

Waiting for: Kirby Triple Deluxe, Super Smash Bros, Puzzle & Dragons Z, Professor Layton vs. Ace Attorney

3DS Friend Code: 4484-9013-4735

Apolloquis

feelthesarcasm wrote:

ShadowLugia wrote:

[

Very true. Platforms are pretty difficult to play with others online with connection and lag issues. Even on the consoles it's a problem. I use to play little big planet online and people would drop in and out of the level from connection issues and then just everyone keeping up with one another was sometimes a huge hassle. I'm not really sure how it would work

The only way that it could work in now days is for Nintendo to 100% focus on the online system; but it does have certain limitations e.g graphical difficulties, glitches, bugs etc you name it.

CM30

I wouldn't mind a Mario game with online co-op....

As long as there were less disconnections, glitches and lag that Luigi's Mansion Dark Moon and its ScareScraper. I wouldn't want a Mario co-op experience quite that unplayable due to issues.

Try out Gaming Reinvented, my new gaming forum and website!
Also, if you're a Wario series fan, check out Wario Forums today! Your only place for Wario series discussion!
My 3DS Friend Code: 4983-5165-4...

Twitter:

Socar

Just played Super Mario Bros X and it was so boring and I just deleted it. The toads are harsh and well it was really not what I expected.

After so long...I'm back. Don't ask why

Nintendo Network ID: ArtwarkSwark | Twitter:

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.